|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What assumption are all rights based on in "What's Wrong With Animal Rights"?
(a) The ability to be pleased.
(b) The ability to read.
(c) The ability to smell.
(d) The ability to suffer.
2. What does Queenan say people think about an education from a top-tier school will provide in "Matriculation Fixation"?
(a) The chance to become famous.
(b) Better education than a junior college.
(c) Encourages motivation.
(d) The guarantee of a successful job.
3. What was the result on the chicken and beef in "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch"?
(a) They were juicy.
(b) They tasted like fish.
(c) They were undetectable.
(d) They were unflavored.
4. What does Wills compare this type of barbaric act to in "The Dramaturgy of Death"?
(a) To the Civil War.
(b) To the 60's lynchings.
(c) To a movie.
(d) To our own system of capital punishment.
5. Who outlined the exception to the first amendment in "Shouting Fire!"?
(a) Thomas Jefferson.
(b) Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas.
(c) John Adams.
(d) Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Steele considering in the essay "On Being Black and Middle Class"?
2. Who was Castro despised by, according to Talese in "Ali in Havana"?
3. Why does the last part of Lopez's journey in "The Stone Horse" have to be traveled on foot?
4. What does Kincaid say about England in "On Seeing England for the First Time"?
5. What example does Conroy give about a person's realization or application to something in "Think About It"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dickerson say about Johnny's assailant in "Who Shot Johnny?"
2. What two things is Wills comparing in "The Dramaturgy of Death"?
3. Why is the Quechan horse still intact, unlike the other archaeological monuments in "The Stone Horse" by Barry Lopez?
4. What does Updike say about the female body in "The Disposable Rocket"?
5. Describe what Berry's issue with the American people is in "In Distrust of Movements."
6. Describe the tone of Hodgman's essay "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch,"
7. What reasoning does Oliver Wendell Holmes give for not shouting fire in a crowded theater in the essay "Shouting Fire!"?
8. What was the significance of Till's photos circulating and none of Byrd's in "Exquisite Corpse"?
9. What event happened that made Americans want to return to that slumber of isolation in "Who We Are"?
10. What does Williams say about the reasons hunters give for hunting in the essay "The Killing Game"?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)