|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Williams say about deer being overpopulated in "The Killing Game"?
(a) They breed too much.
(b) They eat too much.
(c) They are overpopulated because of a fertilizer farmers use.
(d) Deer are only overpopulated because they killed the wolves that hunt them.
2. According to the essay, "Exquisite Corpse" when was lynching prevalent?
(a) Late 18th and early 19th centuries.
(b) Late 19th and early 20th centuries.
(c) 17th century.
(d) 21st century.
3. What kind of art is the Quechan horse in "The Stone Horse"?
(b) Self portrait.
4. What was Kincaid taught to think in "On Seeing England for the First Time"?
(a) That she was English.
(b) That England was Antigua's sister country.
(c) That she had a weird accent.
(d) That English things were better than Antiguan.
5. What does Wills NOT mention as a way of using the death penalty in "The Dramaturgy of Death"?
(a) Burning at the stake.
Short Answer Questions
1. What magazine is mentioned having a cartoon that is equivalent to shouting fire in "Shouting Fire!"?
2. Whose rights is Hearne defending in "What's Wrong With Animal Rights?"?
3. Why was this justification used for the death penalty in "The Dramaturgy of Death"?
4. What is Halberstam discussing in his essay, "Who Are We"?
5. What two categories does Steele place himself under in "On Being Black and Middle Class"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Queenan thinks about American universities in "Matriculation Fixation"."
2. Describe the tone of Hodgman's essay "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch,"
3. Why is the Quechan horse still intact, unlike the other archaeological monuments in "The Stone Horse" by Barry Lopez?
4. What does Williams say about deer in "The Killing Game"?
5. What does Updike say about the male body in "The Disposable Rocket"?
6. What does Dickerson say about Johnny's assailant in "Who Shot Johnny?"
7. Describe Convoy's realization about 'sixths' in "Think About It."
8. What is Kincaid's attitude towards England in "On Seeing England for the First Time"?
9. Describe Oates thoughts on the difference of a house and a home in the essay, "They All Just Went Away,."
10. What reasoning does Oliver Wendell Holmes give for not shouting fire in a crowded theater in the essay "Shouting Fire!"?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)