|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hodgman say is the best tasting, though still slightly bothered by its texture in "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch"?
(d) Dried oats.
2. Who is William O. Douglas to Conroy in "Think About It"?
(a) A Supreme Court Justice and a friend.
(b) His boss.
(c) His father figure.
(d) His mentor.
3. What happened to Dickerson's nephew Johnny in "Who Shot Johnny?"?
(a) He was shot and killed.
(b) He was shot and paralyzed.
(c) He jumped into a pool head first and was paralyzed.
(d) He fell from a tree.
4. What two categories does Steele place himself under in "On Being Black and Middle Class"?
(a) He is black and middle class.
(b) He is black and upper class.
(c) He is white and middle class.
(d) He is white and upper class.
5. Who does Queenan mention being successful in "Matriculation Fixation"?
(b) Attendees of top-tier schools.
(c) Finance majors.
(d) Attendees of middling universities.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the essay, "Exquisite Corpse" when was lynching prevalent?
2. Why was this justification used for the death penalty in "The Dramaturgy of Death"?
3. What does Updike say that men think about their bodies?
4. What adjective would NOT be best used to describe a utilitarian person in "The Singer Solution to World Poverty"?
5. What was Kincaid taught to think in "On Seeing England for the First Time"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Berry's issue with the American people is in "In Distrust of Movements."
2. What does Williams say about deer in "The Killing Game"?
3. What does Updike say about the female body in "The Disposable Rocket"?
4. What does Williams say about the reasons hunters give for hunting in the essay "The Killing Game"?
5. What event happened that made Americans want to return to that slumber of isolation in "Who We Are"?
6. Describe Hodgman's response to the different foods she tastes in "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch,"
7. What does Dickerson say about Johnny's assailant in "Who Shot Johnny?"
8. What is Kincaid's attitude towards England in "On Seeing England for the First Time"?
9. Describe Oates thoughts on the difference of a house and a home in the essay, "They All Just Went Away,."
10. Describe Convoy's realization about 'sixths' in "Think About It."
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)