|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Wills NOT mention as a way of using the death penalty in "The Dramaturgy of Death"?
(d) Burning at the stake.
2. Who was Castro despised by, according to Talese in "Ali in Havana"?
(a) United States liberals.
(b) Conservatives and the U.S. government.
3. Where is the Quechan stone monument in "The Stone Horse"?
(a) Close to the Grand Canyon.
(b) The California Dessert.
(c) Next to Yosimite National Park.
4. Why does the last part of Lopez's journey in "The Stone Horse" have to be traveled on foot?
(a) He ran out of gas.
(b) The road is blocked by boulders.
(c) There is too much ice.
(d) Tress had fallen in the road.
5. How is Kincaid different from most other Antiguans in "On Seeing England for the First Time"?
(a) She had an English accent.
(b) She hated England unlike others.
(c) She was not tan like other Antiguans.
(d) She loved England unlike others.
Short Answer Questions
1. What adjective would NOT be best used to describe a utilitarian person in "The Singer Solution to World Poverty"?
2. What ethical system is Singer addressing in "The Singer Solution to World Poverty"?
3. What does Updike say that men think about their bodies?
4. What two categories does Steele place himself under in "On Being Black and Middle Class"?
5. What American obsession does Queenan discuss in "Matriculation Fixation"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dickerson say about Johnny's assailant in "Who Shot Johnny?"
2. What does Updike say about the male body in "The Disposable Rocket"?
3. Describe what Queenan thinks about American universities in "Matriculation Fixation"."
4. What two things is Wills comparing in "The Dramaturgy of Death"?
5. What reasoning does Oliver Wendell Holmes give for not shouting fire in a crowded theater in the essay "Shouting Fire!"?
6. Why is the Quechan horse still intact, unlike the other archaeological monuments in "The Stone Horse" by Barry Lopez?
7. What does Williams say about the reasons hunters give for hunting in the essay "The Killing Game"?
8. What does Steele say about her black identity in the essay, "On Being Black and Middle Class"?
9. Describe the tone of Hodgman's essay "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch,"
10. Describe Oates thoughts on the difference of a house and a home in the essay, "They All Just Went Away,."
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)