|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Queenan say people think about an education from a top-tier school will provide in "Matriculation Fixation"?
(a) The chance to become famous.
(b) Better education than a junior college.
(c) Encourages motivation.
(d) The guarantee of a successful job.
2. What adjectives does Updike describe for males in "The Disposable Rocket"?
(a) Rough and tough.
(b) Tall and thin.
(c) Strong and innatly pure.
(d) Fearless of being marred or tainted.
3. What happened to Dickerson's nephew Johnny in "Who Shot Johnny?"?
(a) He was shot and paralyzed.
(b) He jumped into a pool head first and was paralyzed.
(c) He was shot and killed.
(d) He fell from a tree.
4. What assumption are all rights based on in "What's Wrong With Animal Rights"?
(a) The ability to read.
(b) The ability to smell.
(c) The ability to suffer.
(d) The ability to be pleased.
5. What does Wills compare this type of barbaric act to in "The Dramaturgy of Death"?
(a) To our own system of capital punishment.
(b) To the Civil War.
(c) To a movie.
(d) To the 60's lynchings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Updike say about the female in "The Disposable Rocket"?
2. What was the verdict of the wet food in "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch"?
3. Who outlined the exception to the first amendment in "Shouting Fire!"?
4. Where is Kincaid a native of in the essay "On Seeing England for the First Time"?
5. What does Kincaid say about England in "On Seeing England for the First Time"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reasoning does Oliver Wendell Holmes give for not shouting fire in a crowded theater in the essay "Shouting Fire!"?
2. What does Updike say about the female body in "The Disposable Rocket"?
3. Why is the Quechan horse still intact, unlike the other archaeological monuments in "The Stone Horse" by Barry Lopez?
4. What is utilitarianism according to Singer in "The Singer Solution to World Poverty"?
5. What was the significance of Till's photos circulating and none of Byrd's in "Exquisite Corpse"?
6. What two things is Wills comparing in "The Dramaturgy of Death"?
7. Describe Convoy's realization about 'sixths' in "Think About It."
8. How does Halberstam see America responding to war in the essay "Who We Are"?
9. What is Kincaid's attitude towards England in "On Seeing England for the First Time"?
10. Explain Hearne's reasons for the differences of human rights to those of a dog in the essay "What's Wrong With Animal Rights"?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)