|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the Quechan stone monument in "The Stone Horse"?
(a) Close to the Grand Canyon.
(b) Next to Yosimite National Park.
(c) The California Dessert.
2. What magazine is mentioned having a cartoon that is equivalent to shouting fire in "Shouting Fire!"?
(d) Rolling Stone.
3. What does Singer say about the money would be spent on, that is not given to helping the poor in "The Singer Solution to World Poverty"?
(a) A trip to Europe.
(b) A new house.
(c) A new car or expensive clothes.
(d) A new nose job.
4. Where is Kincaid a native of in the essay "On Seeing England for the First Time"?
(a) Puerto Rico.
5. How is Kincaid different from most other Antiguans in "On Seeing England for the First Time"?
(a) She had an English accent.
(b) She was not tan like other Antiguans.
(c) She hated England unlike others.
(d) She loved England unlike others.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was lynched in 1999 according to Rushdy in "Exquisite Corpse"
2. What are the neighbors names that Oates mentions in "They All Just Went Away"?
3. Whose rights is Hearne defending in "What's Wrong With Animal Rights?"?
4. What did Johnny do to be attacked in "Who Shot Johnny?"?
5. What does Kincaid recall being forced to memorize in school in "On Seeing England for the First Time"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Convoy finally accept at the end of his essay "Think About It"?
2. What is utilitarianism according to Singer in "The Singer Solution to World Poverty"?
3. Why did Till's mother want his coffin to remain open in the essay "Exquisite Corpse"?
4. Explain why Muhammad Ali was a world icon in the essay "Ali in Havana."
5. Describe Hodgman's response to the different foods she tastes in "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch,"
6. What is Kincaid's attitude towards England in "On Seeing England for the First Time"?
7. Describe what Queenan thinks about American universities in "Matriculation Fixation"."
8. What does Updike say about the female body in "The Disposable Rocket"?
9. What reasoning does Oliver Wendell Holmes give for not shouting fire in a crowded theater in the essay "Shouting Fire!"?
10. What does Updike say about the male body in "The Disposable Rocket"?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)