|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Halberstam, between what events does America go to slumber in "Who We Are"?
(a) World War II and the Vietnam War.
(b) World War II and the 9/11 Attacks.
(c) World War I and World War II.
(d) The Civil War and the Cold War.
2. Who is William O. Douglas to Conroy in "Think About It"?
(a) A Supreme Court Justice and a friend.
(b) His mentor.
(c) His father figure.
(d) His boss.
3. What is Oates reflecting on and comparing in "They All Just Went Away"?
(a) Her three children.
(b) A house and a home.
(c) Beef verses chicken.
(d) A cat and dog.
4. Why do the hunters hunt according to Williams in "The Killing Game"?
(a) To eat dinner.
(b) For decoration in their house.
(c) To help people that hit deer with their car.
(d) To stop over population of animals.
5. Who does Talese accompany to Cuba in "Ali in Havana"?
(a) Mike Tyson .
(b) Muhummed Ali.
(c) Fidel Castro.
(d) George Clooney .
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Williams say about deer being overpopulated in "The Killing Game"?
2. Why was this justification used for the death penalty in "The Dramaturgy of Death"?
3. What two categories does Steele place himself under in "On Being Black and Middle Class"?
4. What assumption are all rights based on in "What's Wrong With Animal Rights"?
5. What did Hodgman find in her food that made her question the experiment for science's sake in "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reasoning does Oliver Wendell Holmes give for not shouting fire in a crowded theater in the essay "Shouting Fire!"?
2. How does Halberstam see America responding to war in the essay "Who We Are"?
3. What is Kincaid's attitude towards England in "On Seeing England for the First Time"?
4. What is utilitarianism according to Singer in "The Singer Solution to World Poverty"?
5. Explain Hearne's reasons for the differences of human rights to those of a dog in the essay "What's Wrong With Animal Rights"?
6. Explain why Muhammad Ali was a world icon in the essay "Ali in Havana."
7. Describe Convoy's realization about 'sixths' in "Think About It."
8. What does Updike say about the male body in "The Disposable Rocket"?
9. Why did Till's mother want his coffin to remain open in the essay "Exquisite Corpse"?
10. Describe Hodgman's response to the different foods she tastes in "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch,"
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)