|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Updike say that men think about their bodies?
(a) It is very masculine.
(b) It is very hard.
(c) It is very forgettable.
(d) It is an art form.
2. Why was this justification used for the death penalty in "The Dramaturgy of Death"?
(a) It teaches people a lesson.
(b) It helped people be scared of what would happen if they misbehaved.
(c) It justifies crimes and their punishments according to the crimes.
(d) It justified extreme forms of brutality, like burning at the stake.
3. What does Hodgman say is the best tasting, though still slightly bothered by its texture in "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch"?
(c) Dried oats.
4. What is the man mentioned being tried for during World War I in "Shouting Fire!"?
(a) Passing out green buttons.
(b) Passing out pamphlets that opposed the draft.
(c) Protesting naked.
(d) Disturbing the peace.
5. What are the neighbors names that Oates mentions in "They All Just Went Away"?
(a) The Weaks.
(b) The Weidels.
(c) The Weems.
(d) The Waters.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wanted to permanently involve America in foreign affairs with the League of Nations in "Who Are We"?
2. What did Hodgman find in her food that made her question the experiment for science's sake in "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch"?
3. What is Hearne's profession in "What's Wrong With Animal Rights?"?
4. What does Queenan say people think about an education from a top-tier school will provide in "Matriculation Fixation"?
5. What kind of art is the Quechan horse in "The Stone Horse"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Convoy finally accept at the end of his essay "Think About It"?
2. What is Kincaid's attitude towards England in "On Seeing England for the First Time"?
3. What does Williams say about the reasons hunters give for hunting in the essay "The Killing Game"?
4. Why did Till's mother want his coffin to remain open in the essay "Exquisite Corpse"?
5. What does Williams say about deer in "The Killing Game"?
6. What does Updike say about the female body in "The Disposable Rocket"?
7. What event happened that made Americans want to return to that slumber of isolation in "Who We Are"?
8. Describe Convoy's realization about 'sixths' in "Think About It."
9. Why is the Quechan horse still intact, unlike the other archaeological monuments in "The Stone Horse" by Barry Lopez?
10. What does Dickerson say about Johnny's assailant in "Who Shot Johnny?"
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)