|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is prohibited in the first amendment?
(a) Talking poorly about the president.
(b) Shouting "Fire!" in a crowded movie theatre.
(c) Shouting at a person driving badly.
(d) Yelling "Bomb" in a public place.
2. What adjectives does Updike describe for males in "The Disposable Rocket"?
(a) Fearless of being marred or tainted.
(b) Strong and innatly pure.
(c) Tall and thin.
(d) Rough and tough.
3. Whose rights is Hearne defending in "What's Wrong With Animal Rights?"?
4. What are the neighbors names that Oates mentions in "They All Just Went Away"?
(a) The Waters.
(b) The Weidels.
(c) The Weaks.
(d) The Weems.
5. What does Kincaid recall being forced to memorize in school in "On Seeing England for the First Time"?
(a) The past Prime Ministers of England.
(b) British isles and major cities.
(c) The dates of change in monarchy reign in England.
(d) Her spelling words.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Oates reflecting on and comparing in "They All Just Went Away"?
2. Who admired Castro, according to Talese in "Ali in Havana"?
3. What does Conroy realize after meeting with Judge Hand in "Think About It"?
4. Why do the hunters hunt according to Williams in "The Killing Game"?
5. According to Halberstam, between what events does America go to slumber in "Who We Are"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Steele say about her black identity in the essay, "On Being Black and Middle Class"?
2. What is utilitarianism according to Singer in "The Singer Solution to World Poverty"?
3. Why is the Quechan horse still intact, unlike the other archaeological monuments in "The Stone Horse" by Barry Lopez?
4. Describe Convoy's realization about 'sixths' in "Think About It."
5. What does Dickerson say about Johnny's assailant in "Who Shot Johnny?"
6. How does Halberstam see America responding to war in the essay "Who We Are"?
7. What does Williams say about deer in "The Killing Game"?
8. What does Convoy finally accept at the end of his essay "Think About It"?
9. Explain Hearne's reasons for the differences of human rights to those of a dog in the essay "What's Wrong With Animal Rights"?
10. What two things is Wills comparing in "The Dramaturgy of Death"?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)