|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the neighbors names that Oates mentions in "They All Just Went Away"?
(a) The Weidels.
(b) The Weaks.
(c) The Weems.
(d) The Waters.
2. How is Kincaid different from most other Antiguans in "On Seeing England for the First Time"?
(a) She loved England unlike others.
(b) She hated England unlike others.
(c) She had an English accent.
(d) She was not tan like other Antiguans.
3. What is Steele considering in the essay "On Being Black and Middle Class"?
(a) What he will have for dinner.
(b) The way blacks are treated.
(c) That he is the victim and victimizer.
(d) The tension between two of the largest components of his identity.
4. What complicated process is Conroy discussing in "Think About It"?
(a) The process in which we learn.
(b) The process of building a car.
(c) How to make homemade biscuits.
(d) The process of traveling to Europe from America .
5. Why do the hunters hunt according to Williams in "The Killing Game"?
(a) For decoration in their house.
(b) To stop over population of animals.
(c) To eat dinner.
(d) To help people that hit deer with their car.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hearne say is ignored in this philosophy in "What's Wrong With Animal Rights?"?
2. Who does Talese accompany to Cuba in "Ali in Havana"?
3. What does Hodgman say is the best tasting, though still slightly bothered by its texture in "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch"?
4. What does Williams think of the hunters reasoning to hunt in "The Killing Game"?
5. What does Talese say about Ali in "Ali in Havana"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Updike say about the male body in "The Disposable Rocket"?
2. Explain why Muhammad Ali was a world icon in the essay "Ali in Havana."
3. What is utilitarianism according to Singer in "The Singer Solution to World Poverty"?
4. What does Williams say about the reasons hunters give for hunting in the essay "The Killing Game"?
5. What reasoning does Oliver Wendell Holmes give for not shouting fire in a crowded theater in the essay "Shouting Fire!"?
6. What is Kincaid's attitude towards England in "On Seeing England for the First Time"?
7. Why did Till's mother want his coffin to remain open in the essay "Exquisite Corpse"?
8. What does Convoy finally accept at the end of his essay "Think About It"?
9. Describe Oates thoughts on the difference of a house and a home in the essay, "They All Just Went Away,."
10. Describe what Berry's issue with the American people is in "In Distrust of Movements."
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)