|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Wills NOT mention as a way of using the death penalty in "The Dramaturgy of Death"?
(a) Burning at the stake.
2. According to the essay, "Exquisite Corpse" when was lynching prevalent?
(a) 17th century.
(b) Late 19th and early 20th centuries.
(c) Late 18th and early 19th centuries.
(d) 21st century.
3. What does Updike say that men think about their bodies?
(a) It is very forgettable.
(b) It is very hard.
(c) It is an art form.
(d) It is very masculine.
4. What is Hodgman testing in her essay "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch"?
(a) Different tanning lotions.
(b) Cat food.
(c) Dried oats.
(d) Dog food.
5. What is prohibited in the first amendment?
(a) Yelling "Bomb" in a public place.
(b) Shouting "Fire!" in a crowded movie theatre.
(c) Shouting at a person driving badly.
(d) Talking poorly about the president.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kincaid say about England in "On Seeing England for the First Time"?
2. What kind of art is the Quechan horse in "The Stone Horse"?
3. What does Updike say about the male in "The Disposable Rocket"?
4. What is Hearne's profession in "What's Wrong With Animal Rights?"?
5. What assumption are all rights based on in "What's Wrong With Animal Rights"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Kincaid's attitude towards England in "On Seeing England for the First Time"?
2. Describe the tone of Hodgman's essay "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch,"
3. Why did Till's mother want his coffin to remain open in the essay "Exquisite Corpse"?
4. What reasoning does Oliver Wendell Holmes give for not shouting fire in a crowded theater in the essay "Shouting Fire!"?
5. What does Dickerson say about Johnny's assailant in "Who Shot Johnny?"
6. What does Updike say about the female body in "The Disposable Rocket"?
7. What event happened that made Americans want to return to that slumber of isolation in "Who We Are"?
8. What two things is Wills comparing in "The Dramaturgy of Death"?
9. What is utilitarianism according to Singer in "The Singer Solution to World Poverty"?
10. What does Updike say about the male body in "The Disposable Rocket"?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)