|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hodgman say is the best tasting, though still slightly bothered by its texture in "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch"?
(d) Dried oats.
2. What is Updike comparing in "The Disposable Rocket"?
(a) Cats and dogs.
(b) Ice creams.
(c) Texas barbeque and Memphis barbeque.
(d) Male bodies to female bodies.
3. What adjective would NOT be best used to describe a utilitarian person in "The Singer Solution to World Poverty"?
4. According to Halberstam, between what events does America go to slumber in "Who We Are"?
(a) World War II and the 9/11 Attacks.
(b) World War II and the Vietnam War.
(c) World War I and World War II.
(d) The Civil War and the Cold War.
5. What is the man mentioned being tried for during World War I in "Shouting Fire!"?
(a) Protesting naked.
(b) Passing out green buttons.
(c) Passing out pamphlets that opposed the draft.
(d) Disturbing the peace.
Short Answer Questions
1. What issue is Berry criticizing in "In Distrust of Movements"?
2. What is Steele considering in the essay "On Being Black and Middle Class"?
3. Why does the last part of Lopez's journey in "The Stone Horse" have to be traveled on foot?
4. What was the verdict on the dry foods taste in "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch"?
5. Who was lynched in 1999 according to Rushdy in "Exquisite Corpse"
Short Essay Questions
1. What is utilitarianism according to Singer in "The Singer Solution to World Poverty"?
2. What is Kincaid's attitude towards England in "On Seeing England for the First Time"?
3. Describe what Queenan thinks about American universities in "Matriculation Fixation"."
4. What reasoning does Oliver Wendell Holmes give for not shouting fire in a crowded theater in the essay "Shouting Fire!"?
5. Describe the tone of Hodgman's essay "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch,"
6. Explain Hearne's reasons for the differences of human rights to those of a dog in the essay "What's Wrong With Animal Rights"?
7. Explain why Muhammad Ali was a world icon in the essay "Ali in Havana."
8. Describe Oates thoughts on the difference of a house and a home in the essay, "They All Just Went Away,."
9. Describe Convoy's realization about 'sixths' in "Think About It."
10. Why did Till's mother want his coffin to remain open in the essay "Exquisite Corpse"?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)