|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Halberstam, between what events does America go to slumber in "Who We Are"?
(a) The Civil War and the Cold War.
(b) World War II and the Vietnam War.
(c) World War I and World War II.
(d) World War II and the 9/11 Attacks.
2. What is the man mentioned being tried for during World War I in "Shouting Fire!"?
(a) Disturbing the peace.
(b) Protesting naked.
(c) Passing out pamphlets that opposed the draft.
(d) Passing out green buttons.
3. Whose rights is Hearne defending in "What's Wrong With Animal Rights?"?
4. What does Updike say about the male in "The Disposable Rocket"?
(a) It is delicate.
(b) It is muscular.
(c) It is hairy.
(d) It is utilitarian.
5. Who was brutally murdered in 1955 in "Exquisite Corpse"?
(a) Eli Whitney.
(b) Emmett Till .
(c) Emmit Smith.
(d) Tim White .
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Singer say about the money would be spent on, that is not given to helping the poor in "The Singer Solution to World Poverty"?
2. What did Hodgman find in her food that made her question the experiment for science's sake in "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch"?
3. What is Steele considering in the essay "On Being Black and Middle Class"?
4. Who does Queenan mention being successful in "Matriculation Fixation"?
5. What example does Conroy give about a person's realization or application to something in "Think About It"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Hearne's reasons for the differences of human rights to those of a dog in the essay "What's Wrong With Animal Rights"?
2. What does Williams say about the reasons hunters give for hunting in the essay "The Killing Game"?
3. What does Updike say about the female body in "The Disposable Rocket"?
4. What does Steele say about her black identity in the essay, "On Being Black and Middle Class"?
5. Describe Oates thoughts on the difference of a house and a home in the essay, "They All Just Went Away,."
6. What does Convoy finally accept at the end of his essay "Think About It"?
7. What does Dickerson say about Johnny's assailant in "Who Shot Johnny?"
8. Why is the Quechan horse still intact, unlike the other archaeological monuments in "The Stone Horse" by Barry Lopez?
9. What two things is Wills comparing in "The Dramaturgy of Death"?
10. What is Kincaid's attitude towards England in "On Seeing England for the First Time"?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)