|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Accawi feel about his village becoming a global community?
(a) He thinks the village is on a search for a better life that they have yet to find.
(b) He is nostalgic for his younger years.
(c) He loves the progression his community is undergoing.
(d) He hates everything about it.
2. What does Cofer NOT mention being in Little Puerto Rico?
(a) Speaking the same language.
(b) Puerto Rican restaurants.
(c) People that identity with their culture.
(d) Grocery stores with Puerto Rican food.
3. Who of Cofer's family members had problems assimilating into their new neighborhood?
(a) Her dog.
(b) Her mother.
(d) Her father.
4. What is Hoagland reflecting on in the essay "Heaven and Nature"?
(a) His second divorce.
(b) His childhood.
(c) His wife's miscarraige.
(d) Suicide and its pyschological inspiration.
5. What does Komunyakaa not tell his co-workers?
(a) That he is an illegal citizen.
(b) That he is going to graduate school.
(c) That he is in love with their boss.
(d) That he has a terminal disease.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pertaining to "Silent Dancing" from what place does Cofer and her family immigrate?
2. What was one of the problems Fadiman mentions about 19th century postage in "Mail"?
3. What does Hoagland's friend say about the number of suicides committed by men in "Heaven and Nature"?
4. What is the main sign that McClanahan's first marriage is doomed to sadness?
5. What type of love does Hoagland say is enough to make a man happy in "Heaven and Nature"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Cofer's father from "Silent Dancing."
2. Describe Dillard's perception of Rahm in "The Stunt Pilot".
3. What seems to be Danticat's conflict in the essay "Westbury Court"?
4. Do you find truth with McClanahan's essay of the woman writing in the margin and their mutual emotions?
5. How does Grealy respond to pain in the essay "Mirrorings"?
6. Describe the benefits of the penny post in the essay "Mail."
7. What does Fadiman say about email in the essay "Mail"?
8. Describe what Frazier did with his friends as a child in the essay, "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose."
9. What happened to Rahm in "The Stunt Pilot"?
10. What does Gates recall about Nat King Cole in "In the Kitchen"?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)