|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Komunyakaa become close with where he works?
(b) Frank and Lily.
(d) Fred and Laura.
2. What ethnicity is Lily?
3. What gift did McPhee's mom give him?
(a) A cute outfit with fire trucks on them.
(b) A toy airplane.
(c) A toy firetruck.
(d) A silk parachute.
4. Why does Cofer's family move to New York City?
(a) So Cofer's brother could play baseball.
(b) They were running from the country's government.
(c) To have a better life.
(d) They were restationed in the Army.
5. Pertaining to "Spring," what is Ehrlich recovering from?
(c) Lyme disease.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the hope of incorporating the new postage system called "penny post" in "Mail"?
2. What does Ehrlich see violently shaking and jiggling beneath its surface in "Spring"?
3. Where is the doctor from who has success on helping Grealy's disfigurement?
4. What new thing happened to Frazier and his friends as they grew up in "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
5. What nationality is Tan in the essay "Mother Tongue"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was McPhee thinking of his mother in the "Silk Parachute"?
2. What does Fadiman say about email in the essay "Mail"?
3. Describe Cofer's father from "Silent Dancing."
4. Why does Sanders place such importance on tools in the essay, "The Inheritance of Tools"?
5. What does Ehrlich think about Joel in the essay "Spring"?
6. If you were Cofer, would you want to have the comfort of having a small neighborhood full of people from your native country?
7. Do you agree with Maria's analogy of Komunyakaa from "The Blue Machinery"?
8. What seems to be Danticat's conflict in the essay "Westbury Court"?
9. In "Westbury Court" why did the mother of the children not realize their was a fire?
10. Why do you think McClanahan was so willing to ignore her husband's infidelities from the essay "Book Marks"? What acts of hers show it?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)