|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Grealy realize oppressed her all her life?
(a) Not being able to get her driver's license.
(b) Doctors telling her she would never look normal.
(c) The anxiety over her appearance.
(d) Her disfigurement.
2. Why would people not take Tan's mother seriously in "Mother Tongue"?
(a) She was illiterate.
(b) She spoke broken English.
(c) She was really obese.
(d) She had a lazy eye.
3. What gift did McPhee's mom give him?
(a) A toy firetruck.
(b) A silk parachute.
(c) A cute outfit with fire trucks on them.
(d) A toy airplane.
4. What did McPhee notice about his childhood gift?
(a) The elegant and steady way it always returned to him.
(b) The color.
(c) How heavy it was.
(d) That it was expensive.
5. Who has the worst hair of Aldrich's family?
(a) Her older sister.
(c) Aldrich's youngest sister.
(d) Her brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were hair "kinks" a symbol of in Gate's essay, "In the Kitchen"?
2. How does Accawi feel about his village becoming a global community?
3. What does Ehrlich see violently shaking and jiggling beneath its surface in "Spring"?
4. What does Grealy boycott?
5. For what did McClanahan pay?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you agree with Rhonda's view on hair from the essay "Hair"?
2. Describe Aldrich's mother from the essay "Hair."
3. What does Hoagland say is the one thing that can prevent suicide?
4. What does Hoagland say about those who commit suicide in the essay "Heaven and Nature"?
5. How is the style of historical references to time related to the closeness of Accawi's village?
6. In "The Blue Machinery," why does Komunyakaa not tell his co-workers that he is going to graduate school in the fall?
7. If you were Cofer, would you want to have the comfort of having a small neighborhood full of people from your native country?
8. Why do people discriminate against Tan's mother in "Mother Tongue"?
9. Describe what Frazier did with his friends as a child in the essay, "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose."
10. What fascinates Ehrlich in the essay "Spring"?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)