|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ehrlich see violently shaking and jiggling beneath its surface in "Spring"?
(a) Mount Rushmore.
(b) The mountains.
(c) Still and peacefulness.
(d) The ocean.
2. In Mother Tongue, who always made sense to Tan, even if the speech was grammatically incorrect?
(a) Tan's mom.
(b) Tan's sister.
(c) Tan's teacher.
(d) Tan's dog.
3. Who does Gates recall having immaculate hair?
(a) August Wilson.
(b) Martin Luther King.
(c) Nat King Cole.
(d) His dad.
4. Who does Hoagland surprisingly mention dying by a specific way of death in "Heaven and Nature"?
(a) Rich people.
(b) Poor people.
(c) Obese people.
(d) Depressed people.
5. How do Gates and his community cheaply straighten their hair?
(a) They had straightening parties and all helped each other.
(b) By using an iron.
(c) They combed it over and over each night.
(d) By putting grease on it and keeping a stocking or rag on their head for a few days.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the one thing Grealy craved and completely lacked?
2. Who does Komunyakaa become close with where he works?
3. What does the interviewee in "Turning Point" repeatedly refuse?
4. Pertaining to the "The Inheritance of Tools," who is Sanders thinking of?
5. From "The Stunt Pilot" what is the name of the stunt pilot Dillard writes about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Ofri realizes she cannot have control over life or death in the essay "Merced"?
2. What does Frazier say about adults and their inability to be idle in his essay, "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
3. Describe Cofer's father from "Silent Dancing."
4. Why does Sanders place such importance on tools in the essay, "The Inheritance of Tools"?
5. How is the style of historical references to time related to the closeness of Accawi's village?
6. What does Petit say about the Twin Towers in "The Turning Point"?
7. If you were Cofer, would you want to have the comfort of having a small neighborhood full of people from your native country?
8. Explain McPhee's connection to the parachute from the "Silk Parachute."
9. What does Ofri seem to be most concerned with in the essay "Merced"?
10. Describe the benefits of the penny post in the essay "Mail."
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)