|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Tan's way of developing her English language unusual in the work, "Mother Tongue"?
(a) She stayed after school and worked with her teacher.
(b) Her mother taught her.
(c) She learned to speak different forms in different contexts.
(d) She went to a Chinese school, but their English program was great.
2. Pertaining to "Merced," what is Ofri's patients name?
3. What does Frazier think of recreation for adults in his essay "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
(a) There is not enough time to recreate with friends.
(b) It is always goal oriented.
(c) They should be allowed a certain amount of time to recreate per week.
(d) They are too old for tackle football.
4. Who does Gates recall having immaculate hair?
(a) August Wilson.
(b) Nat King Cole.
(c) His dad.
(d) Martin Luther King.
5. What does Dillard compare the exhaust trail of the plane to in "The Stunt Pilot"?
(a) The wind.
(b) A bird's tail.
(c) The brush of a hand.
(d) A stroke of a painter's brush.
Short Answer Questions
1. From "The Blue Machinery," where does Komunyakaa work during a summer job?
2. What is Fadiman reflecting on in "Mail"?
3. Pertaining to "Spring," what is Ehrlich recovering from?
4. Who has the worst hair of Aldrich's family?
5. What seemed to divide most households in Cofer's neighborhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Convoy finally accept at the end of his essay "Think About It"?
2. What two things is Wills comparing in "The Dramaturgy of Death"?
3. Describe Oates thoughts on the difference of a house and a home in the essay, "They All Just Went Away,."
4. Why did Till's mother want his coffin to remain open in the essay "Exquisite Corpse"?
5. What does Ofri seem to be most concerned with in the essay "Merced"?
6. Why do you think McClanahan was so willing to ignore her husband's infidelities from the essay "Book Marks"? What acts of hers show it?
7. What does Ehrlich think about Joel in the essay "Spring"?
8. What does Frazier say about adults and their inability to be idle in his essay, "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
9. What does Fadiman say about email in the essay "Mail"?
10. Describe Convoy's realization about 'sixths' in "Think About It."
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)