|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dillard later ride in the airplane in "The Stunt Pilot"?
(a) He flew her on her book tour.
(b) To see his tricks.
(c) They got married and flew together on their honeymoon.
(d) To look at some mountains and travel to an island.
2. What two things does Fadiman compare in "Mail"?
(a) Cats to dogs.
(b) Victorian postage to electronic email.
(c) Van Gogh to Matisse.
(d) UPS to FedEx.
3. What does Ofri ultimately realize from her patient in "Merced"?
(a) She shouldn't be a doctor.
(b) She should listen better to her patients.
(c) She is not the master over death.
(d) She should be more confident.
4. Pertaining to the "The Inheritance of Tools," who is Sanders thinking of?
(a) His father.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) His first baseball coach.
(d) His mom.
5. What is Fadiman reflecting on in "Mail"?
(a) The invention of the telephone.
(b) Postage expenses.
(c) Her childhood.
(d) The history of communication.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to "Silk Parachute," what does McPhee specifically mention about his childhood upbringing?
2. What does Komunyakaa not tell his co-workers?
3. What does Grealy feel she was being praised for during her battle with chemotherapy?.
4. Who does Hoagland surprisingly mention dying by a specific way of death in "Heaven and Nature"?
5. Why is this gift special to Sanders in "The Inheritance of Tools"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Williams say about deer in "The Killing Game"?
2. What event happened that made Americans want to return to that slumber of isolation in "Who We Are"?
3. What seems to be Danticat's conflict in the essay "Westbury Court"?
4. What does Gates recall about Nat King Cole in "In the Kitchen"?
5. What does Convoy finally accept at the end of his essay "Think About It"?
6. How does Grealy respond to pain in the essay "Mirrorings"?
7. Do you agree with Rhonda's view on hair from the essay "Hair"?
8. Describe Hodgman's response to the different foods she tastes in "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch,"
9. What importance does Gates see in one's hairstyle, particularly with blacks in "In the Kitchen"?
10. Describe Convoy's realization about 'sixths' in "Think About It."
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)