|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Frazier NOT mention creeping its way into idleness in "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
(a) Complaing about business.
(b) Comparing salaries.
(c) Discussing children.
(d) Complaining about wives or girlfriends.
2. What does Grealy look down on?
(a) Those who pride themselves on intellect.
(b) Those who don't recycle.
(c) Those who pride themselves for their good looks.
(d) Those who never had cancer.
3. What does Ofri think about her diagnosis in "Merced"?
(a) She is afraid she is wrong.
(b) She wants to have a second opinion.
(c) She feels on top of her profession.
(d) She thinks she is the smartest doctor.
4. What does the interviewee in "Turning Point" repeatedly refuse?
(a) Profit for his art.
(b) A TV show.
(d) An agent.
5. If lack of love is the reason for suicide, what does Hoagland suggest to those who know love?
(a) Cherish it .
(b) To reconsider how they live their life.
(c) To give love to anyone they meet.
(d) To remember those moments forever.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the lady in "Westbury Court" doing when the firemen come inside her apartment?
2. Why is this gift special to Sanders in "The Inheritance of Tools"?
3. Pertaining to the "The Inheritance of Tools," who is Sanders thinking of?
4. When does the lady in the apartment down the hall in "Westbury Court" realize that there is a fire?
5. What new thing happened to Frazier and his friends as they grew up in "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Convoy finally accept at the end of his essay "Think About It"?
2. Describe Oates thoughts on the difference of a house and a home in the essay, "They All Just Went Away,."
3. What fascinates Ehrlich in the essay "Spring"?
4. What does Fadiman say about email in the essay "Mail"?
5. What event happened that made Americans want to return to that slumber of isolation in "Who We Are"?
6. What does Gates recall about Nat King Cole in "In the Kitchen"?
7. What does Sanders think about tools verses machines in "The Inheritance of Tools"?
8. In "The Turning Point," describe Petit's desire to make tight roping an art form.
9. Do you think Ofri realizes she cannot have control over life or death in the essay "Merced"?
10. Describe the tone of Hodgman's essay "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch,"
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)