|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dillard later ride in the airplane in "The Stunt Pilot"?
(a) He flew her on her book tour.
(b) They got married and flew together on their honeymoon.
(c) To look at some mountains and travel to an island.
(d) To see his tricks.
2. What was one of the problems Fadiman mentions about 19th century postage in "Mail"?
(a) No one used street addresses.
(b) It was too expensive to send anything.
(c) It took too long to send mail.
(d) The recipient, not the sender had to pay for the postage.
3. Where does Gates go when he leaves America?
4. What happens to change Ofri's state of being in "Merced"?
(a) Her patient comes in completely cured.
(b) Her patient dies at home.
(c) Her patient changes doctors because Ofri misdiagnosed her.
(d) Her patient becomes brain dead and will not survive another week.
5. What is Fadiman reflecting on in "Mail"?
(a) Her childhood.
(b) Postage expenses.
(c) The invention of the telephone.
(d) The history of communication.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pertaining to "Turning Point," who does Chelminski interview?
2. What gift did McPhee's mom give him?
3. Why is Cofer reflecting on the memories of moving to New York City?
4. Pertaining to "Silent Dancing" from what place does Cofer and her family immigrate?
5. When McClanahan's husband leaves her, what does she do?
Short Essay Questions
1. If you were Cofer, would you want to have the comfort of having a small neighborhood full of people from your native country?
2. What does Frazier say about adults and their inability to be idle in his essay, "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
3. What happened to Rahm in "The Stunt Pilot"?
4. What does Hoagland say is the one thing that can prevent suicide?
5. Describe the benefits of the penny post in the essay "Mail."
6. What seems to be Danticat's conflict in the essay "Westbury Court"?
7. How does Grealy respond to pain in the essay "Mirrorings"?
8. Explain McPhee's connection to the parachute from the "Silk Parachute."
9. In "Westbury Court" why did the mother of the children not realize their was a fire?
10. Why does Sanders place such importance on tools in the essay, "The Inheritance of Tools"?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)