|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dillard later ride in the airplane in "The Stunt Pilot"?
(a) They got married and flew together on their honeymoon.
(b) To look at some mountains and travel to an island.
(c) To see his tricks.
(d) He flew her on her book tour.
2. What was the hope of incorporating the new postage system called "penny post" in "Mail"?
(a) To increase revenue and lower the cost .
(b) It would decrease the revenue and mail would eventually die out .
(c) It would be faster.
(d) Everyone has pennies, so everyone could mail something.
3. What was one of the problems Fadiman mentions about 19th century postage in "Mail"?
(a) The recipient, not the sender had to pay for the postage.
(b) It was too expensive to send anything.
(c) It took too long to send mail.
(d) No one used street addresses.
4. What is the main sign that McClanahan's first marriage is doomed to sadness?
(a) She was in love with her best friend.
(b) McClanahan cheated on him with another man.
(c) McClanahan could not have any children.
(d) Her husband impregnated another woman.
5. Why does Sanders begin a new carpentry project in "The Inheritance of Tools"?
(a) To show is son what he used to do in his free time.
(b) To get money for the project.
(c) His dad told him to finish what he started.
(d) To be close to his dad spiritually.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two things does Fadiman compare in "Mail"?
2. What happened to the boy Ehrlich referred to in her essay, "Spring"?
3. Why is this gift special to Sanders in "The Inheritance of Tools"?
4. What did Sanders inherit in "The Inheritance of Tools"?
5. What does Komunyakaa not tell his co-workers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sanders think about tools verses machines in "The Inheritance of Tools"?
2. What does Fadiman say about email in the essay "Mail"?
3. Do you agree with Maria's analogy of Komunyakaa from "The Blue Machinery"?
4. What does Frazier say about adults and their inability to be idle in his essay, "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
5. In "Westbury Court" why did the mother of the children not realize their was a fire?
6. In "The Turning Point," describe Petit's desire to make tight roping an art form.
7. What seems to be Danticat's conflict in the essay "Westbury Court"?
8. Do you find truth with McClanahan's essay of the woman writing in the margin and their mutual emotions?
9. What does Ofri seem to be most concerned with in the essay "Merced"?
10. What does Ehrlich think about Joel in the essay "Spring"?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)