|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Gates go when he leaves America?
2. From "The Blue Machinery," where does Komunyakaa work during a summer job?
(a) A mechanic shop.
(b) A shoe store.
(d) An electronics factory.
3. What two things does Fadiman compare in "Mail"?
(a) UPS to FedEx.
(b) Victorian postage to electronic email.
(c) Van Gogh to Matisse.
(d) Cats to dogs.
4. What were hair "kinks" a symbol of in Gate's essay, "In the Kitchen"?
(a) That they were poor.
(b) That they wanted to be famous.
(c) How one's black identity will always be a part of them even if they try to change it.
(d) That their mom didn't know how to do hair.
5. What is McPhee reflecting on at the beginning of the essay?
(a) A memory.
(b) His marriage.
(c) A gift.
(d) His mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grealy feel she was being praised for during her battle with chemotherapy?.
2. What is the ultimate solution to the type of death discussed in "Heaven and Nature"?
3. Pertaining to "Westbury Court," with what is Danticat struggling?
4. Pertaining to "Book Marks" what parallel is McClanahan making to her own life story?
5. What happened to the boy Ehrlich referred to in her essay, "Spring"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Berry's issue with the American people is in "In Distrust of Movements."
2. Describe Hodgman's response to the different foods she tastes in "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch,"
3. Explain McPhee's connection to the parachute from the "Silk Parachute."
4. Describe Cofer's father from "Silent Dancing."
5. How does Halberstam see America responding to war in the essay "Who We Are"?
6. What does Convoy finally accept at the end of his essay "Think About It"?
7. Why is the Quechan horse still intact, unlike the other archaeological monuments in "The Stone Horse" by Barry Lopez?
8. What is utilitarianism according to Singer in "The Singer Solution to World Poverty"?
9. In "Mirrorings," why does Grealy realize she has had anxiety over her disfigurement?
10. How is the style of historical references to time related to the closeness of Accawi's village?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)