|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Gates and his community cheaply straighten their hair?
(a) They combed it over and over each night.
(b) They had straightening parties and all helped each other.
(c) By using an iron.
(d) By putting grease on it and keeping a stocking or rag on their head for a few days.
2. What is Fadiman reflecting on in "Mail"?
(a) Her childhood.
(b) The history of communication.
(c) Postage expenses.
(d) The invention of the telephone.
3. What does Grealy boycott?
(a) Going in public.
4. Where does Gates go when he leaves America?
5. What does Hoagland's friend say about the number of suicides committed by men in "Heaven and Nature"?
(a) That women usually don't have the means to kill themselves.
(b) Men are goal oriented and cannot stand the feeling of failure, so it is an easy escape.
(c) That men are more passive in their emotions.
(d) That women are stronger than men.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did McPhee notice about his childhood gift?
2. How is time or age measured in Accawi's village?
3. What feeling does Frazier seem to take about society's lack of idleness in "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
4. Pertaining to "Turning Point," who does Chelminski interview?
5. Pertaining to "Silent Dancing" from what place does Cofer and her family immigrate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Accawi think about his village becoming a global community in "The Telephone"?
2. Do you think Ofri realizes she cannot have control over life or death in the essay "Merced"?
3. Do you agree with Rhonda's view on hair from the essay "Hair"?
4. What does Petit say about the Twin Towers in "The Turning Point"?
5. What does Frazier say about adults and their inability to be idle in his essay, "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
6. What does Ofri seem to be most concerned with in the essay "Merced"?
7. What happened to Rahm in "The Stunt Pilot"?
8. Describe Dillard's perception of Rahm in "The Stunt Pilot".
9. What does Hoagland say about those who commit suicide in the essay "Heaven and Nature"?
10. What importance does Gates see in one's hairstyle, particularly with blacks in "In the Kitchen"?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)