|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Hoagland surprisingly mention dying by a specific way of death in "Heaven and Nature"?
(a) Depressed people.
(b) Obese people.
(c) Rich people.
(d) Poor people.
2. Why would people not take Tan's mother seriously in "Mother Tongue"?
(a) She spoke broken English.
(b) She had a lazy eye.
(c) She was illiterate.
(d) She was really obese.
3. What does Aldrich think is achieved when manifesting the perfect hairstyle?
(a) Jealousy or envy of others.
(b) The perfect husband.
(c) Completing an incomplete soul.
(d) Self confidence.
4. What does Frazier NOT mention creeping its way into idleness in "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
(a) Comparing salaries.
(b) Discussing children.
(c) Complaing about business.
(d) Complaining about wives or girlfriends.
5. Pertaining to "Spring," what is Ehrlich recovering from?
(b) Lyme disease.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did McPhee notice about his childhood gift?
2. What was the one thing Grealy craved and completely lacked?
3. What does Grealy boycott?
4. What two things does Fadiman compare in "Mail"?
5. Why is this gift special to Sanders in "The Inheritance of Tools"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Frazier say about adults and their inability to be idle in his essay, "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
2. Why does Sanders place such importance on tools in the essay, "The Inheritance of Tools"?
3. Why do you think McClanahan was so willing to ignore her husband's infidelities from the essay "Book Marks"? What acts of hers show it?
4. Describe Cofer's father from "Silent Dancing."
5. What importance does Gates see in one's hairstyle, particularly with blacks in "In the Kitchen"?
6. What does Gates recall about Nat King Cole in "In the Kitchen"?
7. Describe Dillard's perception of Rahm in "The Stunt Pilot".
8. How is the style of historical references to time related to the closeness of Accawi's village?
9. In "The Blue Machinery," why does Komunyakaa not tell his co-workers that he is going to graduate school in the fall?
10. What does Petit say about the Twin Towers in "The Turning Point"?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)