|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. If lack of love is the reason for suicide, what does Hoagland suggest to those who know love?
(a) To give love to anyone they meet.
(b) To remember those moments forever.
(c) Cherish it .
(d) To reconsider how they live their life.
2. In Mother Tongue, who always made sense to Tan, even if the speech was grammatically incorrect?
(a) Tan's dog.
(b) Tan's mom.
(c) Tan's teacher.
(d) Tan's sister.
3. How did Accawi's village become part of the global community?
(b) Central air conditioning.
(c) The internet.
(d) The telephone.
4. What does Ofri originally think is the problem with her patient in "Merced?
(a) She has aseptic meningitis.
(b) She has lyme disease.
(c) She has leukemia.
(d) She has a tumor.
5. What does Frazier NOT mention creeping its way into idleness in "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
(a) Complaining about wives or girlfriends.
(b) Complaing about business.
(c) Comparing salaries.
(d) Discussing children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why would people not take Tan's mother seriously in "Mother Tongue"?
2. What is Hoagland reflecting on in the essay "Heaven and Nature"?
3. Who does Ehrlich mention rejecting when she was younger in "Spring"?
4. Which female wants to define herself by what she did and how she treated others from the essay "Hair"?
5. Pertaining to "The Telephone" where did Anwar Accawi grow up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ehrlich think about Joel in the essay "Spring"?
2. Explain McPhee's connection to the parachute from the "Silk Parachute."
3. Why does Sanders place such importance on tools in the essay, "The Inheritance of Tools"?
4. Describe Cofer's father from "Silent Dancing."
5. What seems to be Danticat's conflict in the essay "Westbury Court"?
6. How does Tan learn English in "Mother Tongue"?
7. In "Westbury Court" why did the mother of the children not realize their was a fire?
8. How is the style of historical references to time related to the closeness of Accawi's village?
9. Describe Dillard's perception of Rahm in "The Stunt Pilot".
10. What importance does Gates see in one's hairstyle, particularly with blacks in "In the Kitchen"?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)