|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What new thing happened to Frazier and his friends as they grew up in "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
(a) They began to feel guilty when they were not being productive.
(b) They started to like girls.
(c) They realized being lazy was what they should do for a living.
(d) They all grew apart and weren't friends anymore.
2. What is the real problem with Ofri's patient in "Merced"?
(a) She has aseptic meningitis.
(b) She has leukemia.
(c) She has lyme disease.
(d) She has a tumor.
3. What does Fadiman think about the possibility of a published book of emails in "Mail"?
(a) She is horrified of the idea of a grammatically incorrect book.
(b) She hopes they are never published.
(c) She is excited and will help publish the first one.
(d) She wishes email were never invented.
4. Why does Grealy end her boycott?
(a) She is asked on a date.
(b) A boy she has lunch with is not disgusted by her.
(c) She is asked to be a model.
(d) She has another surgery.
5. What is the ultimate solution to the type of death discussed in "Heaven and Nature"?
(a) A house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dillard compare the exhaust trail of the plane to in "The Stunt Pilot"?
2. According to "Silk Parachute," what does McPhee specifically mention about his childhood upbringing?
3. What does Frazier NOT mention creeping its way into idleness in "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
4. What does Komunyakaa not tell his co-workers?
5. What does Cofer NOT mention being in Little Puerto Rico?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Aldrich's mother from the essay "Hair."
2. Do you think Ofri realizes she cannot have control over life or death in the essay "Merced"?
3. Describe Cofer's father from "Silent Dancing."
4. Why does Sanders place such importance on tools in the essay, "The Inheritance of Tools"?
5. In "Mirrorings," why does Grealy realize she has had anxiety over her disfigurement?
6. How does Tan learn English in "Mother Tongue"?
7. What does Petit say about the Twin Towers in "The Turning Point"?
8. How does Grealy respond to pain in the essay "Mirrorings"?
9. In "Westbury Court" why did the mother of the children not realize their was a fire?
10. Do you agree with Maria's analogy of Komunyakaa from "The Blue Machinery"?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)