|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does McPhee compare his gift to in "Silk Parachute."
(b) His mother.
(c) His father.
(d) His life up until that point.
2. What does Ofri originally think is the problem with her patient in "Merced?
(a) She has leukemia.
(b) She has aseptic meningitis.
(c) She has lyme disease.
(d) She has a tumor.
3. Why is this gift special to Sanders in "The Inheritance of Tools"?
(a) He learned his skills right next to his dad with them.
(b) They built his first house.
(c) They make him a man.
(d) He likes antiques.
4. What does the interviewee in "Turning point" want people to remember about the Twin Towers?
(a) The date in which they were attacked.
(b) Who the Mayor of NYC was when it happend.
(c) His performance bewteen the two buildings, not the burning rubble.
(d) How many stories tall they were.
5. What thought does the stunt pilot know was possible, but never bothered him in "The Stunt Pilot"?
(a) That Dillard only wrote this story for work.
(b) That Dillard loved Rahm.
(c) That he could die flying while performing his tricks.
(d) That his mom hated the profession he chose.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was McPhee fascinated by as a child?
2. What does Frazier NOT mention creeping its way into idleness in "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
3. What feeling does Frazier seem to take about society's lack of idleness in "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
4. What is Ehrlich reflecting on in "Spring"?
5. What two things does Fadiman compare in "Mail"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you find truth with McClanahan's essay of the woman writing in the margin and their mutual emotions?
2. What does Hoagland say about those who commit suicide in the essay "Heaven and Nature"?
3. What importance does Gates see in one's hairstyle, particularly with blacks in "In the Kitchen"?
4. Describe the benefits of the penny post in the essay "Mail."
5. Why do you think McClanahan was so willing to ignore her husband's infidelities from the essay "Book Marks"? What acts of hers show it?
6. If you were Cofer, would you want to have the comfort of having a small neighborhood full of people from your native country?
7. Do you agree with Maria's analogy of Komunyakaa from "The Blue Machinery"?
8. In "Mirrorings," why does Grealy realize she has had anxiety over her disfigurement?
9. Describe Aldrich's mother from the essay "Hair."
10. How does Grealy respond to pain in the essay "Mirrorings"?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)