|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Dickerson's nephew Johnny in "Who Shot Johnny?"?
(a) He was shot and killed.
(b) He jumped into a pool head first and was paralyzed.
(c) He fell from a tree.
(d) He was shot and paralyzed.
2. What was Kincaid taught to think in "On Seeing England for the First Time"?
(a) That English things were better than Antiguan.
(b) That she was English.
(c) That she had a weird accent.
(d) That England was Antigua's sister country.
3. What does Updike say that men think about their bodies?
(a) It is very hard.
(b) It is very forgettable.
(c) It is very masculine.
(d) It is an art form.
4. What does Singer say about the money would be spent on, that is not given to helping the poor in "The Singer Solution to World Poverty"?
(a) A new car or expensive clothes.
(b) A trip to Europe.
(c) A new nose job.
(d) A new house.
5. Whose rights does Hearne compare to that of humans in "What's Wrong With Animal Rights?"?
6. What was the verdict on the dry foods taste in "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch"?
(a) It was beef flavored.
(b) It was tasteless.
(c) It was oat flavored.
(d) It was cold.
7. Who wanted to permanently involve America in foreign affairs with the League of Nations in "Who Are We"?
(a) Woodrow Wilson.
(b) FDR .
(c) Richard Nixon.
(d) George Bush.
8. Who was lynched in 1999 according to Rushdy in "Exquisite Corpse"
(a) James Joyce.
(b) Chrish Byrd.
(c) Bird Jones.
(d) James Byrd.
9. What happened to Johnny's assailant in "Who Shot Johnny?"?
(a) He was never caught.
(b) He got three girls pregnant.
(c) He is in jail.
(d) He was shot and killed.
10. Where is Kincaid a native of in the essay "On Seeing England for the First Time"?
(d) Puerto Rico.
11. Who outlined the exception to the first amendment in "Shouting Fire!"?
(a) John Adams.
(b) Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes.
12. What does Wills NOT mention as a way of using the death penalty in "The Dramaturgy of Death"?
(a) Burning at the stake.
13. What does Talese say about Ali in "Ali in Havana"?
(a) He was a loud, argumentative man.
(b) He was a soft spoken man and usually only spoke to those close to him.
(c) He was hot headed.
(d) He was a drunk, but a good boxer.
14. What adjective would NOT be best used to describe a utilitarian person in "The Singer Solution to World Poverty"?
15. Who was brutally murdered in 1955 in "Exquisite Corpse"?
(a) Eli Whitney.
(b) Emmett Till .
(c) Emmit Smith.
(d) Tim White .
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Wills considering in his essay, "The Dramaturgy of Death"?
2. What was the verdict of the wet food in "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch"?
3. What is the man mentioned being tried for during World War I in "Shouting Fire!"?
4. Whose rights is Hearne defending in "What's Wrong With Animal Rights?"?
5. What two categories does Steele place himself under in "On Being Black and Middle Class"?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)