|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Wills compare this type of barbaric act to in "The Dramaturgy of Death"?
(a) To a movie.
(b) To our own system of capital punishment.
(c) To the 60's lynchings.
(d) To the Civil War.
2. How is Kincaid different from most other Antiguans in "On Seeing England for the First Time"?
(a) She loved England unlike others.
(b) She had an English accent.
(c) She hated England unlike others.
(d) She was not tan like other Antiguans.
3. Who outlined the exception to the first amendment in "Shouting Fire!"?
(a) John Adams.
(b) Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas.
4. What does Berry think the problem with American's is in "In Distrust of Movements"?
(a) American's are obese.
(b) Lack of desire to go green.
(c) Lack of knowledge on increasing efficiency.
(d) Lack of knowledge on how we obtain our resources.
5. Whose rights does Hearne compare to that of humans in "What's Wrong With Animal Rights?"?
6. What is the man mentioned being tried for during World War I in "Shouting Fire!"?
(a) Protesting naked.
(b) Passing out pamphlets that opposed the draft.
(c) Disturbing the peace.
(d) Passing out green buttons.
7. What is Updike comparing in "The Disposable Rocket"?
(a) Cats and dogs.
(b) Ice creams.
(c) Texas barbeque and Memphis barbeque.
(d) Male bodies to female bodies.
8. According to the essay, "Exquisite Corpse" when was lynching prevalent?
(a) 21st century.
(b) 17th century.
(c) Late 18th and early 19th centuries.
(d) Late 19th and early 20th centuries.
9. What does Updike say about the female in "The Disposable Rocket"?
(a) It is gentle.
(b) It is curvy.
(c) It is soft.
(d) It is delicate.
10. Where is Kincaid a native of in the essay "On Seeing England for the First Time"?
(b) Puerto Rico.
11. Who does Queenan mention being successful in "Matriculation Fixation"?
(b) Finance majors.
(c) Attendees of middling universities.
(d) Attendees of top-tier schools.
12. Who is William O. Douglas to Conroy in "Think About It"?
(a) His mentor.
(b) His father figure.
(c) His boss.
(d) A Supreme Court Justice and a friend.
13. What does Kincaid recall being forced to memorize in school in "On Seeing England for the First Time"?
(a) British isles and major cities.
(b) The dates of change in monarchy reign in England.
(c) Her spelling words.
(d) The past Prime Ministers of England.
14. What small facet does Berry NOT mention "In Distrust of Movements"?
(a) Better landfills.
(b) Efficient manufacturing.
(c) Cleaner water.
15. What is Steele considering in the essay "On Being Black and Middle Class"?
(a) That he is the victim and victimizer.
(b) The way blacks are treated.
(c) What he will have for dinner.
(d) The tension between two of the largest components of his identity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dickerson think Johnny's assailant is doing in "Who Shot Johnny?"
2. What does Singer say about the money would be spent on, that is not given to helping the poor in "The Singer Solution to World Poverty"?
3. What common element does Wills mention having with the penalty in "The Dramaturgy of Death"?
4. What magazine is mentioned having a cartoon that is equivalent to shouting fire in "Shouting Fire!"?
5. According to Halberstam, between what events does America go to slumber in "Who We Are"?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)