|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of art is the Quechan horse in "The Stone Horse"?
(c) Self portrait.
2. What was the verdict of the wet food in "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch"?
(a) It tastest the worst.
(b) It was tasty, but overwhelmed by its disgusting textures.
(c) It was tasteless.
(d) It was juicy.
3. What did Hodgman find in her food that made her question the experiment for science's sake in "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch"?
(a) Her stomach's reaction to the food.
(b) A foul odor.
(c) A large vein in her morsels.
(d) She had dog breath.
4. Who outlined the exception to the first amendment in "Shouting Fire!"?
(a) Thomas Jefferson.
(b) Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas.
(c) John Adams.
(d) Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes.
5. What two categories does Steele place himself under in "On Being Black and Middle Class"?
(a) He is white and middle class.
(b) He is black and middle class.
(c) He is white and upper class.
(d) He is black and upper class.
6. What issue is Berry criticizing in "In Distrust of Movements"?
(a) The way we recycle.
(b) The way people drive.
(c) The way we eat.
(d) The way American's see environmental problems.
7. Where is Kincaid a native of in the essay "On Seeing England for the First Time"?
(c) Puerto Rico.
8. What adjectives does Updike describe for males in "The Disposable Rocket"?
(a) Tall and thin.
(b) Strong and innatly pure.
(c) Fearless of being marred or tainted.
(d) Rough and tough.
9. What is Halberstam discussing in his essay, "Who Are We"?
(a) World War II.
(b) The Vietnam War.
(c) The 911 attacks.
(d) He is talking about America's involvement in war.
10. What does Wills compare this type of barbaric act to in "The Dramaturgy of Death"?
(a) To the 60's lynchings.
(b) To a movie.
(c) To the Civil War.
(d) To our own system of capital punishment.
11. What is Hodgman testing in her essay "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch"?
(a) Dried oats.
(b) Dog food.
(c) Cat food.
(d) Different tanning lotions.
12. What magazine is mentioned having a cartoon that is equivalent to shouting fire in "Shouting Fire!"?
(a) Rolling Stone.
13. What was the result on the chicken and beef in "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch"?
(a) They were juicy.
(b) They were undetectable.
(c) They tasted like fish.
(d) They were unflavored.
14. What does Kincaid say about England in "On Seeing England for the First Time"?
(a) That it is part of her and her nation's identity.
(b) That it has great weather.
(c) That it taxes too much.
(d) That it has good tea.
15. According to Halberstam, between what events does America go to slumber in "Who We Are"?
(a) World War I and World War II.
(b) World War II and the Vietnam War.
(c) The Civil War and the Cold War.
(d) World War II and the 9/11 Attacks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Williams say about deer being overpopulated in "The Killing Game"?
2. Why does the last part of Lopez's journey in "The Stone Horse" have to be traveled on foot?
3. What does Williams think of the hunters reasoning to hunt in "The Killing Game"?
4. Who does Talese accompany to Cuba in "Ali in Havana"?
5. Why was this justification used for the death penalty in "The Dramaturgy of Death"?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)