|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Queenan say people think about an education from a top-tier school will provide in "Matriculation Fixation"?
(a) Encourages motivation.
(b) Better education than a junior college.
(c) The chance to become famous.
(d) The guarantee of a successful job.
2. What does Updike say that men think about their bodies?
(a) It is very masculine.
(b) It is an art form.
(c) It is very forgettable.
(d) It is very hard.
3. What does Berry think the problem with American's is in "In Distrust of Movements"?
(a) American's are obese.
(b) Lack of knowledge on how we obtain our resources.
(c) Lack of desire to go green.
(d) Lack of knowledge on increasing efficiency.
4. Where is Kincaid a native of in the essay "On Seeing England for the First Time"?
(b) Puerto Rico.
5. Who was lynched in 1999 according to Rushdy in "Exquisite Corpse"
(a) Chrish Byrd.
(b) James Byrd.
(c) Bird Jones.
(d) James Joyce.
6. Why does the last part of Lopez's journey in "The Stone Horse" have to be traveled on foot?
(a) The road is blocked by boulders.
(b) Tress had fallen in the road.
(c) There is too much ice.
(d) He ran out of gas.
7. Why do the hunters hunt according to Williams in "The Killing Game"?
(a) To stop over population of animals.
(b) For decoration in their house.
(c) To eat dinner.
(d) To help people that hit deer with their car.
8. What does Wills compare this type of barbaric act to in "The Dramaturgy of Death"?
(a) To the 60's lynchings.
(b) To a movie.
(c) To our own system of capital punishment.
(d) To the Civil War.
9. Who was Castro despised by, according to Talese in "Ali in Havana"?
(c) Conservatives and the U.S. government.
(d) United States liberals.
10. What common element does Wills mention having with the penalty in "The Dramaturgy of Death"?
(a) Redressing a grievance.
(b) Inhumane treatment.
(c) Those who receive it, committed the same crime.
(d) Crime matches the punishment.
11. What does Hodgman say is the best tasting, though still slightly bothered by its texture in "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch"?
(d) Dried oats.
12. How is Kincaid different from most other Antiguans in "On Seeing England for the First Time"?
(a) She had an English accent.
(b) She hated England unlike others.
(c) She was not tan like other Antiguans.
(d) She loved England unlike others.
13. What does Singer say about the money would be spent on, that is not given to helping the poor in "The Singer Solution to World Poverty"?
(a) A new nose job.
(b) A new car or expensive clothes.
(c) A new house.
(d) A trip to Europe.
14. What type of experience does Lopez have when he examines the stone horse in "The Stone Horse"?
(a) An excited one.
(b) Ultimate kindness.
(c) A pyschotic response.
(d) A religious one.
15. What does Dickerson think Johnny's assailant is doing in "Who Shot Johnny?"
(a) Bringing down the house.
(b) Bringing down the entire black community.
(c) Being ignorant to people who love him.
(d) Bringing down all the kids in the neighborhood.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Halberstam, between what events does America go to slumber in "Who We Are"?
2. What was the verdict on the dry foods taste in "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch"?
3. Who was brutally murdered in 1955 in "Exquisite Corpse"?
4. What case do Conroy and Douglas discuss in "Think About It"?
5. What is Hodgman testing in her essay "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch"?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)