|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Updike comparing in "The Disposable Rocket"?
(a) Cats and dogs.
(b) Ice creams.
(c) Male bodies to female bodies.
(d) Texas barbeque and Memphis barbeque.
2. What two categories does Steele place himself under in "On Being Black and Middle Class"?
(a) He is black and middle class.
(b) He is black and upper class.
(c) He is white and middle class.
(d) He is white and upper class.
3. Who does Queenan mention being successful in "Matriculation Fixation"?
(a) Finance majors.
(b) Attendees of middling universities.
(d) Attendees of top-tier schools.
4. What was the verdict on the dry foods taste in "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch"?
(a) It was beef flavored.
(b) It was cold.
(c) It was oat flavored.
(d) It was tasteless.
5. What complicated process is Conroy discussing in "Think About It"?
(a) The process of traveling to Europe from America .
(b) The process in which we learn.
(c) The process of building a car.
(d) How to make homemade biscuits.
6. What is the man mentioned being tried for during World War I in "Shouting Fire!"?
(a) Disturbing the peace.
(b) Passing out green buttons.
(c) Protesting naked.
(d) Passing out pamphlets that opposed the draft.
7. What does Hodgman say is the best tasting, though still slightly bothered by its texture in "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch"?
(c) Dried oats.
8. What did Johnny do to be attacked in "Who Shot Johnny?"?
(a) He cut another driver off.
(b) He bombed someone else' house.
(c) He made an inappropriate gesture to another driver.
(d) He waved at a random car passing by.
9. What adjective would NOT be best used to describe a utilitarian person in "The Singer Solution to World Poverty"?
10. What does Kincaid recall being forced to memorize in school in "On Seeing England for the First Time"?
(a) The past Prime Ministers of England.
(b) The dates of change in monarchy reign in England.
(c) Her spelling words.
(d) British isles and major cities.
11. What does Singer say about the money would be spent on, that is not given to helping the poor in "The Singer Solution to World Poverty"?
(a) A trip to Europe.
(b) A new car or expensive clothes.
(c) A new nose job.
(d) A new house.
12. What does Conroy realize after meeting with Judge Hand in "Think About It"?
(a) That the FBI helps both Judge Douglas and Hand.
(b) That Judge Hand hates the FBI.
(c) That Judge Douglas is corrupt.
(d) Some issues are entirely too complicated to be exhausted over by multiple debates and arguments.
13. Who was lynched in 1999 according to Rushdy in "Exquisite Corpse"
(a) James Byrd.
(b) James Joyce.
(c) Bird Jones.
(d) Chrish Byrd.
14. What type of experience does Lopez have when he examines the stone horse in "The Stone Horse"?
(a) An excited one.
(b) A pyschotic response.
(c) Ultimate kindness.
(d) A religious one.
15. Who was Castro despised by, according to Talese in "Ali in Havana"?
(b) Conservatives and the U.S. government.
(c) United States liberals.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Talese accompany to Cuba in "Ali in Havana"?
2. What did Hodgman find in her food that made her question the experiment for science's sake in "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch"?
3. Where is Kincaid a native of in the essay "On Seeing England for the First Time"?
4. Who outlined the exception to the first amendment in "Shouting Fire!"?
5. What is Hearne's profession in "What's Wrong With Animal Rights?"?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)