|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kincaid recall being forced to memorize in school in "On Seeing England for the First Time"?
(a) Her spelling words.
(b) The dates of change in monarchy reign in England.
(c) British isles and major cities.
(d) The past Prime Ministers of England.
2. What does Updike say about the male in "The Disposable Rocket"?
(a) It is delicate.
(b) It is utilitarian.
(c) It is muscular.
(d) It is hairy.
3. What magazine is mentioned having a cartoon that is equivalent to shouting fire in "Shouting Fire!"?
(c) Rolling Stone.
4. What kind of art is the Quechan horse in "The Stone Horse"?
(b) Self portrait.
5. What does Berry think the problem with American's is in "In Distrust of Movements"?
(a) Lack of desire to go green.
(b) Lack of knowledge on increasing efficiency.
(c) Lack of knowledge on how we obtain our resources.
(d) American's are obese.
6. What does Williams say about deer being overpopulated in "The Killing Game"?
(a) Deer are only overpopulated because they killed the wolves that hunt them.
(b) They eat too much.
(c) They are overpopulated because of a fertilizer farmers use.
(d) They breed too much.
7. What is Oates reflecting on and comparing in "They All Just Went Away"?
(a) A cat and dog.
(b) Beef verses chicken.
(c) A house and a home.
(d) Her three children.
8. Whose rights is Hearne defending in "What's Wrong With Animal Rights?"?
9. Who admired Castro, according to Talese in "Ali in Havana"?
(b) Mike Tyson.
(d) Muhummud Ali.
10. What does Talese say about Ali in "Ali in Havana"?
(a) He was hot headed.
(b) He was a soft spoken man and usually only spoke to those close to him.
(c) He was a loud, argumentative man.
(d) He was a drunk, but a good boxer.
11. Who was lynched in 1999 according to Rushdy in "Exquisite Corpse"
(a) James Byrd.
(b) James Joyce.
(c) Chrish Byrd.
(d) Bird Jones.
12. What was the result on the chicken and beef in "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch"?
(a) They were undetectable.
(b) They tasted like fish.
(c) They were juicy.
(d) They were unflavored.
13. What is Steele considering in the essay "On Being Black and Middle Class"?
(a) That he is the victim and victimizer.
(b) The way blacks are treated.
(c) What he will have for dinner.
(d) The tension between two of the largest components of his identity.
14. Where is the Quechan stone monument in "The Stone Horse"?
(a) Close to the Grand Canyon.
(b) The California Dessert.
(d) Next to Yosimite National Park.
15. What does Hodgman say is the best tasting, though still slightly bothered by its texture in "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch"?
(b) Dried oats.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the last part of Lopez's journey in "The Stone Horse" have to be traveled on foot?
2. What is the man mentioned being tried for during World War I in "Shouting Fire!"?
3. What adjective would NOT be best used to describe a utilitarian person in "The Singer Solution to World Poverty"?
4. What does Kincaid say about England in "On Seeing England for the First Time"?
5. What was the verdict on the dry foods taste in "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch"?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)