|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Williams say about deer being overpopulated in "The Killing Game"?
(a) They eat too much.
(b) They are overpopulated because of a fertilizer farmers use.
(c) Deer are only overpopulated because they killed the wolves that hunt them.
(d) They breed too much.
2. What does Updike say about the female in "The Disposable Rocket"?
(a) It is curvy.
(b) It is gentle.
(c) It is delicate.
(d) It is soft.
3. What did Johnny do to be attacked in "Who Shot Johnny?"?
(a) He bombed someone else' house.
(b) He waved at a random car passing by.
(c) He made an inappropriate gesture to another driver.
(d) He cut another driver off.
4. What does Kincaid say about England in "On Seeing England for the First Time"?
(a) That it taxes too much.
(b) That it is part of her and her nation's identity.
(c) That it has great weather.
(d) That it has good tea.
5. What does Williams think of the hunters reasoning to hunt in "The Killing Game"?
(a) It's an excuse to bring animals to near extinction.
(b) She wants to go hunting with some of her friends next time.
(c) It's an excuse to leave their wives or girlfriends for the day.
(d) It's a valid point, but she loves animals too much.
6. What does Queenan say people think about an education from a top-tier school will provide in "Matriculation Fixation"?
(a) Better education than a junior college.
(b) The guarantee of a successful job.
(c) The chance to become famous.
(d) Encourages motivation.
7. What is Halberstam discussing in his essay, "Who Are We"?
(a) He is talking about America's involvement in war.
(b) World War II.
(c) The 911 attacks.
(d) The Vietnam War.
8. What does Dickerson think Johnny's assailant is doing in "Who Shot Johnny?"
(a) Bringing down all the kids in the neighborhood.
(b) Bringing down the entire black community.
(c) Bringing down the house.
(d) Being ignorant to people who love him.
9. What American obsession does Queenan discuss in "Matriculation Fixation"?
(a) The status of a top-tier university.
(b) Going green.
(c) Health care.
10. What two categories does Steele place himself under in "On Being Black and Middle Class"?
(a) He is black and upper class.
(b) He is black and middle class.
(c) He is white and middle class.
(d) He is white and upper class.
11. What was Kincaid taught to think in "On Seeing England for the First Time"?
(a) That she had a weird accent.
(b) That England was Antigua's sister country.
(c) That English things were better than Antiguan.
(d) That she was English.
12. Who outlined the exception to the first amendment in "Shouting Fire!"?
(a) Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes.
(b) John Adams.
(c) Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas.
(d) Thomas Jefferson.
13. What ethical system is Singer addressing in "The Singer Solution to World Poverty"?
(d) Utilitarianism .
14. Who does Queenan mention being successful in "Matriculation Fixation"?
(a) Finance majors.
(b) Attendees of middling universities.
(d) Attendees of top-tier schools.
15. What does Conroy realize after meeting with Judge Hand in "Think About It"?
(a) Some issues are entirely too complicated to be exhausted over by multiple debates and arguments.
(b) That Judge Hand hates the FBI.
(c) That the FBI helps both Judge Douglas and Hand.
(d) That Judge Douglas is corrupt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hearne say is ignored in this philosophy in "What's Wrong With Animal Rights?"?
2. What is Steele considering in the essay "On Being Black and Middle Class"?
3. Where is Kincaid a native of in the essay "On Seeing England for the First Time"?
4. What did Hodgman find in her food that made her question the experiment for science's sake in "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch"?
5. What does Updike say that men think about their bodies?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)