|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wanted to permanently involve America in foreign affairs with the League of Nations in "Who Are We"?
(a) FDR .
(b) Woodrow Wilson.
(c) George Bush.
(d) Richard Nixon.
2. What is Williams discussing in her essay, "The Killing Game"?
(a) She denounces the cruelty of modern hunting.
(b) Hunting verses gaming.
(c) She is an activist for animal rights.
(d) How America is suffering from Global Warming.
3. What is the goal of utilitarianism according to Singer in "The Singer Solution to World Poverty"?
(a) To make people want to work.
(b) To increase the amount of happiness.
(c) To motivate art appreciation.
(d) To make everything have a purpose.
4. Who was lynched in 1999 according to Rushdy in "Exquisite Corpse"
(a) James Joyce.
(b) Chrish Byrd.
(c) Bird Jones.
(d) James Byrd.
5. What is prohibited in the first amendment?
(a) Yelling "Bomb" in a public place.
(b) Shouting at a person driving badly.
(c) Talking poorly about the president.
(d) Shouting "Fire!" in a crowded movie theatre.
6. Whose rights does Hearne compare to that of humans in "What's Wrong With Animal Rights?"?
7. What is Steele considering in the essay "On Being Black and Middle Class"?
(a) What he will have for dinner.
(b) The tension between two of the largest components of his identity.
(c) That he is the victim and victimizer.
(d) The way blacks are treated.
8. What does Kincaid recall being forced to memorize in school in "On Seeing England for the First Time"?
(a) The past Prime Ministers of England.
(b) The dates of change in monarchy reign in England.
(c) Her spelling words.
(d) British isles and major cities.
9. What is Updike comparing in "The Disposable Rocket"?
(a) Male bodies to female bodies.
(b) Cats and dogs.
(c) Texas barbeque and Memphis barbeque.
(d) Ice creams.
10. What is Hearne's profession in "What's Wrong With Animal Rights?"?
(a) Dog catcher.
(b) Animal trainer.
(c) Bus driver.
11. Where is the Quechan stone monument in "The Stone Horse"?
(a) Next to Yosimite National Park.
(b) The California Dessert.
(d) Close to the Grand Canyon.
12. What was the verdict on the dry foods taste in "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch"?
(a) It was cold.
(b) It was oat flavored.
(c) It was beef flavored.
(d) It was tasteless.
13. What does Hodgman say is the best tasting, though still slightly bothered by its texture in "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch"?
(d) Dried oats.
14. What does Updike say about the female in "The Disposable Rocket"?
(a) It is delicate.
(b) It is curvy.
(c) It is soft.
(d) It is gentle.
15. What are the neighbors names that Oates mentions in "They All Just Went Away"?
(a) The Weaks.
(b) The Weems.
(c) The Weidels.
(d) The Waters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Queenan say people think about an education from a top-tier school will provide in "Matriculation Fixation"?
2. How is Kincaid different from most other Antiguans in "On Seeing England for the First Time"?
3. What decade did blacks find their identity through social classes in "On Being Black and Middle Class"?
4. Why does the last part of Lopez's journey in "The Stone Horse" have to be traveled on foot?
5. What is Hodgman testing in her essay "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch"?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)