|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Ehrlich mention rejecting when she was younger in "Spring"?
2. How do Gates and his community cheaply straighten their hair?
(a) They had straightening parties and all helped each other.
(b) By using an iron.
(c) They combed it over and over each night.
(d) By putting grease on it and keeping a stocking or rag on their head for a few days.
3. Who of Cofer's family members had problems assimilating into their new neighborhood?
(a) Her dog.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her father.
4. Where is the doctor from who has success on helping Grealy's disfigurement?
(a) Los Angeles.
(d) New York City.
5. What question is Danticat asking at the end of the essay, "Westbury Court"?
(a) If the lady died.
(b) How the fire started.
(c) If her memory is correct and those children died.
(d) How to contact the lady.
6. What does Ehrlich see violently shaking and jiggling beneath its surface in "Spring"?
(a) The mountains.
(b) Still and peacefulness.
(c) The ocean.
(d) Mount Rushmore.
7. Where is Ehrlich spending the spring in "Spring"?
8. What does Maria compare Komunyakaa to?
(a) A man who leaves a woman after he gets what he wanted from her.
(b) The wind, that moves in nomadic directions.
(c) A wise owl.
(d) A grumpy mechanic.
9. How is time or age measured in Accawi's village?
(a) With a sundial.
(b) By a calendar.
(c) By it's proximity to other events.
(d) With a stopwatch.
10. What does Ofri ultimately realize from her patient in "Merced"?
(a) She should listen better to her patients.
(b) She is not the master over death.
(c) She should be more confident.
(d) She shouldn't be a doctor.
11. What does Cofer NOT mention being in Little Puerto Rico?
(a) Speaking the same language.
(b) People that identity with their culture.
(c) Puerto Rican restaurants.
(d) Grocery stores with Puerto Rican food.
12. Why would people not take Tan's mother seriously in "Mother Tongue"?
(a) She was illiterate.
(b) She had a lazy eye.
(c) She spoke broken English.
(d) She was really obese.
13. What is Fadiman reflecting on in "Mail"?
(a) Her childhood.
(b) The invention of the telephone.
(c) The history of communication.
(d) Postage expenses.
14. What was the one thing Grealy craved and completely lacked?
(a) The ability to travel.
(b) Positive attention from boys.
(c) Money to pay her debts.
(d) A dad.
15. Pertaining to "In the Kitchen," what is Gates reflecting on?
(a) His childhood home.
(b) Black hairstyles.
(c) His mother's cooking.
(d) Black athletes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Tan's way of developing her English language unusual in the work, "Mother Tongue"?
2. Pertaining to "Book Marks" what parallel is McClanahan making to her own life story?
3. What new thing happened to Frazier and his friends as they grew up in "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
4. What ethnicity is Lily?
5. From "The Stunt Pilot" what is the name of the stunt pilot Dillard writes about?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)