|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what did McClanahan pay?
(a) Their first house.
(b) A new car for her husband.
(c) Her own abortion.
(d) The abortion for the woman her husband impregnated.
2. What does Frazier NOT mention creeping its way into idleness in "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
(a) Complaining about wives or girlfriends.
(b) Discussing children.
(c) Complaing about business.
(d) Comparing salaries.
3. Who said, "hair is like life- there is no need to be bound by the past because it can always be changed"?
(b) Aldrich's mother.
(c) Aldrich's older sister .
4. From "The Stunt Pilot" what is the name of the stunt pilot Dillard writes about?
(a) Dave Rhine.
(b) Dave Rahm.
(c) Davis Rahm.
(d) Davis Ronn.
5. What did McPhee notice about his childhood gift?
(a) The elegant and steady way it always returned to him.
(b) That it was expensive.
(c) How heavy it was.
(d) The color.
6. What did Sanders inherit in "The Inheritance of Tools"?
(a) A house.
(b) An old rocking chair.
(c) His dad's carpentry tools.
(d) A car.
7. What is Fadiman reflecting on in "Mail"?
(a) Her childhood.
(b) The invention of the telephone.
(c) The history of communication.
(d) Postage expenses.
8. Pertaining to the "The Inheritance of Tools," who is Sanders thinking of?
(a) His father.
(b) His mom.
(c) His grandfather.
(d) His first baseball coach.
9. In Mother Tongue, who always made sense to Tan, even if the speech was grammatically incorrect?
(a) Tan's dog.
(b) Tan's teacher.
(c) Tan's mom.
(d) Tan's sister.
10. Pertaining to "Hair" what does Aldrich associate hair to?
(a) Aldrich's best feature.
(c) A woman's personal identity.
(d) Her mother.
11. What two things does Fadiman compare in "Mail"?
(a) Van Gogh to Matisse.
(b) Victorian postage to electronic email.
(c) UPS to FedEx.
(d) Cats to dogs.
12. What does Ehrlich see violently shaking and jiggling beneath its surface in "Spring"?
(a) The ocean.
(b) The mountains.
(c) Still and peacefulness.
(d) Mount Rushmore.
13. What thought does the stunt pilot know was possible, but never bothered him in "The Stunt Pilot"?
(a) That his mom hated the profession he chose.
(b) That Dillard loved Rahm.
(c) That Dillard only wrote this story for work.
(d) That he could die flying while performing his tricks.
14. What does Ofri originally think is the problem with her patient in "Merced?
(a) She has lyme disease.
(b) She has aseptic meningitis.
(c) She has leukemia.
(d) She has a tumor.
15. What does the interviewee in "Turning Point" do?
(a) Tight rope walker.
(b) Jump ropist.
(c) Conduct the Atlanta Symphony.
(d) Mayor of NYC.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has the worst hair of Aldrich's family?
2. What does Frazier recall about his childhood in "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
3. Pertaining to "Book Marks" what parallel is McClanahan making to her own life story?
4. What are the benefits of Accawi's village becoming a global community?
5. Where does Gates go when he leaves America?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)