|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What seemed to divide most households in Cofer's neighborhood?
(a) Who got the remote control for the TV.
(b) Who had to do the dishes at night.
(c) The desire to be back in their homeland.
(d) The desire to be assimilated into a white culture.
2. What gift did McPhee's mom give him?
(a) A cute outfit with fire trucks on them.
(b) A silk parachute.
(c) A toy airplane.
(d) A toy firetruck.
3. Pertaining to "Turning Point," who does Chelminski interview?
(b) James Joyce.
(c) Sean Penn.
(d) Philippe Petit.
4. Where is the doctor from who has success on helping Grealy's disfigurement?
(a) Los Angeles.
(d) New York City.
5. Why is Tan's way of developing her English language unusual in the work, "Mother Tongue"?
(a) Her mother taught her.
(b) She went to a Chinese school, but their English program was great.
(c) She stayed after school and worked with her teacher.
(d) She learned to speak different forms in different contexts.
6. What is the real problem with Ofri's patient in "Merced"?
(a) She has lyme disease.
(b) She has leukemia.
(c) She has aseptic meningitis.
(d) She has a tumor.
7. In "Westbury Court," who moves into the apartment down the hall after the lady and her children move out?
(a) Another family.
(b) An old man.
(c) A group of Haitian musicians.
(d) It remains vacant.
8. Why does Cofer's family move to New York City?
(a) They were running from the country's government.
(b) They were restationed in the Army.
(c) To have a better life.
(d) So Cofer's brother could play baseball.
9. What issue is Frazier discussing about the modern world in the essay "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
(a) The need to eat all organic foods.
(b) Our inability to be idle.
(c) Our obsession with technology.
(d) Our need to make more money.
10. How is time or age measured in Accawi's village?
(a) With a sundial.
(b) With a stopwatch.
(c) By it's proximity to other events.
(d) By a calendar.
11. What is McPhee reflecting on at the beginning of the essay?
(a) A gift.
(b) His mother.
(c) A memory.
(d) His marriage.
12. What does Dillard compare the exhaust trail of the plane to in "The Stunt Pilot"?
(a) A stroke of a painter's brush.
(b) A bird's tail.
(c) The wind.
(d) The brush of a hand.
13. Where does Gates go when he leaves America?
14. Pertaining to "Westbury Court," with what is Danticat struggling?
(a) His mom.
(b) Friends at school.
(c) Nuances and inconsistences of childhood memories.
(d) His first kiss.
15. In Mother Tongue, who always made sense to Tan, even if the speech was grammatically incorrect?
(a) Tan's teacher.
(b) Tan's dog.
(c) Tan's sister.
(d) Tan's mom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What question is Danticat asking at the end of the essay, "Westbury Court"?
2. What does Ehrlich see violently shaking and jiggling beneath its surface in "Spring"?
3. What ethnicity is Lily?
4. What happens to change Ofri's state of being in "Merced"?
5. What is Hoagland reflecting on in the essay "Heaven and Nature"?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)