|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to the boy Ehrlich referred to in her essay, "Spring"?
(a) He committed suicide.
(b) He died in a car accident.
(c) He moved away to another town.
(d) He died from cancer.
2. What is Hoagland reflecting on in the essay "Heaven and Nature"?
(a) Suicide and its pyschological inspiration.
(b) His childhood.
(c) His wife's miscarraige.
(d) His second divorce.
3. Why is Tan's way of developing her English language unusual in the work, "Mother Tongue"?
(a) She stayed after school and worked with her teacher.
(b) She went to a Chinese school, but their English program was great.
(c) She learned to speak different forms in different contexts.
(d) Her mother taught her.
4. Who of Cofer's family members had problems assimilating into their new neighborhood?
(a) Her father.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her dog.
5. Why does Dillard later ride in the airplane in "The Stunt Pilot"?
(a) He flew her on her book tour.
(b) To look at some mountains and travel to an island.
(c) To see his tricks.
(d) They got married and flew together on their honeymoon.
6. What seemed to divide most households in Cofer's neighborhood?
(a) The desire to be back in their homeland.
(b) Who got the remote control for the TV.
(c) The desire to be assimilated into a white culture.
(d) Who had to do the dishes at night.
7. What does Dillard compare the exhaust trail of the plane to in "The Stunt Pilot"?
(a) A bird's tail.
(b) The wind.
(c) The brush of a hand.
(d) A stroke of a painter's brush.
8. When does the lady in the apartment down the hall in "Westbury Court" realize that there is a fire?
(a) When she hears her screaming children.
(b) When the firemen come in.
(c) When she sees smoke.
(d) When she wakes up.
9. Where is Ehrlich spending the spring in "Spring"?
10. In "Turning Point," what is the interviewee's primary purpose for performing?
(a) To scare people.
(b) To bring recognition to this art.
(c) To expand the boundaries of art.
(d) To raise money to create his own company.
11. Pertaining to "Turning Point," who does Chelminski interview?
(a) James Joyce.
(c) Philippe Petit.
(d) Sean Penn.
12. Why does Cofer's family move to New York City?
(a) They were running from the country's government.
(b) They were restationed in the Army.
(c) To have a better life.
(d) So Cofer's brother could play baseball.
13. What does Grealy feel she was being praised for during her battle with chemotherapy?.
(a) Her positive attutude.
(b) Surviving the treatment.
(c) Hiding the pain.
(d) Being brave.
14. For what did McClanahan pay?
(a) A new car for her husband.
(b) Their first house.
(c) The abortion for the woman her husband impregnated.
(d) Her own abortion.
15. In "The Stunt Piolot," why does Dillard's heart flutter?
(a) The scenery from the sky was breathtaking.
(b) She was falling in love.
(c) She thought he was handsome.
(d) They were close to the mountains.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Komunyakaa become close with where he works?
2. What feeling does Frazier seem to take about society's lack of idleness in "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
3. What does Ofri ultimately realize from her patient in "Merced"?
4. What thought does the stunt pilot know was possible, but never bothered him in "The Stunt Pilot"?
5. What does McPhee compare his gift to in "Silk Parachute."
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)