Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Frazier NOT mention creeping its way into idleness in "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
(a) Complaing about business.
(b) Comparing salaries.
(c) Discussing children.
(d) Complaining about wives or girlfriends.
2. What does Grealy look down on?
(a) Those who pride themselves on intellect.
(b) Those who don't recycle.
(c) Those who pride themselves for their good looks.
(d) Those who never had cancer.
3. What does Ofri think about her diagnosis in "Merced"?
(a) She is afraid she is wrong.
(b) She wants to have a second opinion.
(c) She feels on top of her profession.
(d) She thinks she is the smartest doctor.
4. What does the interviewee in "Turning Point" repeatedly refuse?
(a) Profit for his art.
(b) A TV show.
(d) An agent.
5. If lack of love is the reason for suicide, what does Hoagland suggest to those who know love?
(a) Cherish it .
(b) To reconsider how they live their life.
(c) To give love to anyone they meet.
(d) To remember those moments forever.
6. What is the lady in "Westbury Court" doing when the firemen come inside her apartment?
(a) Watching television.
(b) Taking a nap.
(c) Taking a shower.
7. Why is this gift special to Sanders in "The Inheritance of Tools"?
(a) They make him a man.
(b) He likes antiques.
(c) They built his first house.
(d) He learned his skills right next to his dad with them.
8. Pertaining to the "The Inheritance of Tools," who is Sanders thinking of?
(a) His first baseball coach.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) His father.
(d) His mom.
9. When does the lady in the apartment down the hall in "Westbury Court" realize that there is a fire?
(a) When the firemen come in.
(b) When she hears her screaming children.
(c) When she wakes up.
(d) When she sees smoke.
10. What new thing happened to Frazier and his friends as they grew up in "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
(a) They realized being lazy was what they should do for a living.
(b) They began to feel guilty when they were not being productive.
(c) They all grew apart and weren't friends anymore.
(d) They started to like girls.
11. What does Dillard compare the exhaust trail of the plane to in "The Stunt Pilot"?
(a) The wind.
(b) A stroke of a painter's brush.
(c) The brush of a hand.
(d) A bird's tail.
12. What gift did McPhee's mom give him?
(a) A cute outfit with fire trucks on them.
(b) A toy firetruck.
(c) A silk parachute.
(d) A toy airplane.
13. What happened to the boy Ehrlich referred to in her essay, "Spring"?
(a) He died in a car accident.
(b) He committed suicide.
(c) He moved away to another town.
(d) He died from cancer.
14. What question is Danticat asking at the end of the essay, "Westbury Court"?
(a) If the lady died.
(b) If her memory is correct and those children died.
(c) How the fire started.
(d) How to contact the lady.
15. What issue is Frazier discussing about the modern world in the essay "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
(a) Our inability to be idle.
(b) Our obsession with technology.
(c) The need to eat all organic foods.
(d) Our need to make more money.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Turning Point," what is the interviewee's primary purpose for performing?
2. What did McPhee notice about his childhood gift?
3. Why does Dillard later ride in the airplane in "The Stunt Pilot"?
4. What does Aldrich think is achieved when manifesting the perfect hairstyle?
5. What does Komunyakaa not tell his co-workers?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)