|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Grealy realize oppressed her all her life?
(a) The anxiety over her appearance.
(b) Not being able to get her driver's license.
(c) Doctors telling her she would never look normal.
(d) Her disfigurement.
2. What does Dillard compare the exhaust trail of the plane to in "The Stunt Pilot"?
(a) A stroke of a painter's brush.
(b) A bird's tail.
(c) The brush of a hand.
(d) The wind.
3. What does Frazier recall about his childhood in "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
(a) Making homemade biscuits.
(b) Cutting down a tree.
(c) Camping and fishing.
(d) Playing, exploring, and building all through the woods.
4. Who does Hoagland surprisingly mention dying by a specific way of death in "Heaven and Nature"?
(a) Depressed people.
(b) Obese people.
(c) Rich people.
(d) Poor people.
5. In "Westbury Court," who moves into the apartment down the hall after the lady and her children move out?
(a) A group of Haitian musicians.
(b) It remains vacant.
(c) Another family.
(d) An old man.
6. Why is Tan's way of developing her English language unusual in the work, "Mother Tongue"?
(a) She stayed after school and worked with her teacher.
(b) She learned to speak different forms in different contexts.
(c) She went to a Chinese school, but their English program was great.
(d) Her mother taught her.
7. What was the hope of incorporating the new postage system called "penny post" in "Mail"?
(a) Everyone has pennies, so everyone could mail something.
(b) To increase revenue and lower the cost .
(c) It would decrease the revenue and mail would eventually die out .
(d) It would be faster.
8. Pertaining to "Hair" what does Aldrich associate hair to?
(b) A woman's personal identity.
(c) Aldrich's best feature.
(d) Her mother.
9. Pertaining to "The Telephone" where did Anwar Accawi grow up?
(a) A town in Arizona.
(c) A small town in Jordan.
10. Why does Grealy end her boycott?
(a) She has another surgery.
(b) She is asked to be a model.
(c) A boy she has lunch with is not disgusted by her.
(d) She is asked on a date.
11. How is time or age measured in Accawi's village?
(a) With a sundial.
(b) By it's proximity to other events.
(c) With a stopwatch.
(d) By a calendar.
12. What does McPhee compare his gift to in "Silk Parachute."
(b) His mother.
(c) His life up until that point.
(d) His father.
13. Who chastises Komunyakaa for keeping his reasoning for leaving a secret?
(d) No one.
14. In "The Stunt Piolot," why does Dillard's heart flutter?
(a) She was falling in love.
(b) The scenery from the sky was breathtaking.
(c) They were close to the mountains.
(d) She thought he was handsome.
15. What does Frazier think of recreation for adults in his essay "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
(a) It is always goal oriented.
(b) They should be allowed a certain amount of time to recreate per week.
(c) They are too old for tackle football.
(d) There is not enough time to recreate with friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cofer NOT mention being in Little Puerto Rico?
2. How does Accawi feel about his village becoming a global community?
3. From "The Blue Machinery," where does Komunyakaa work during a summer job?
4. Why is Sanders thinking about this particular gift from his father in "The Inheritance of Tools"?
5. What does Tan realize after becoming a renowned writer in "Mother Tongue"?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)