|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what did McClanahan pay?
(a) Their first house.
(b) Her own abortion.
(c) A new car for her husband.
(d) The abortion for the woman her husband impregnated.
2. Where does Gates go when he leaves America?
3. In Mother Tongue, who always made sense to Tan, even if the speech was grammatically incorrect?
(a) Tan's teacher.
(b) Tan's mom.
(c) Tan's sister.
(d) Tan's dog.
4. What does Aldrich think is achieved when manifesting the perfect hairstyle?
(a) Completing an incomplete soul.
(b) Self confidence.
(c) The perfect husband.
(d) Jealousy or envy of others.
5. Pertaining to "Turning Point," who does Chelminski interview?
(a) Philippe Petit.
(b) James Joyce.
(c) Sean Penn.
6. What is the main sign that McClanahan's first marriage is doomed to sadness?
(a) McClanahan could not have any children.
(b) McClanahan cheated on him with another man.
(c) Her husband impregnated another woman.
(d) She was in love with her best friend.
7. Who does Komunyakaa become close with where he works?
(b) Fred and Laura.
(d) Frank and Lily.
8. What does Ofri originally think is the problem with her patient in "Merced?
(a) She has leukemia.
(b) She has a tumor.
(c) She has lyme disease.
(d) She has aseptic meningitis.
9. What is the lady in "Westbury Court" doing when the firemen come inside her apartment?
(a) Watching television.
(b) Taking a nap.
(c) Taking a shower.
10. Where is Ehrlich spending the spring in "Spring"?
11. What is Ehrlich reflecting on in "Spring"?
(a) Her late husband.
(b) Her illness.
(c) The insignificance of human existence .
(d) The beautiful country.
12. In "Westbury Court," who moves into the apartment down the hall after the lady and her children move out?
(a) An old man.
(b) It remains vacant.
(c) A group of Haitian musicians.
(d) Another family.
13. What does Tan realize after becoming a renowned writer in "Mother Tongue"?
(a) That Tan has the best English grammar.
(b) That their are varied forms of the English language.
(c) That her mother's English is no less legitimate.
(d) That her mother is pretty on the inside.
14. What does Dillard compare the exhaust trail of the plane to in "The Stunt Pilot"?
(a) The wind.
(b) The brush of a hand.
(c) A bird's tail.
(d) A stroke of a painter's brush.
15. What is Fadiman reflecting on in "Mail"?
(a) Postage expenses.
(b) The invention of the telephone.
(c) The history of communication.
(d) Her childhood.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the benefits of Accawi's village becoming a global community?
2. What two things does Fadiman compare in "Mail"?
3. What were hair "kinks" a symbol of in Gate's essay, "In the Kitchen"?
4. Where does the pilot die in "The Stunt Pilot"?
5. What is Hoagland reflecting on in the essay "Heaven and Nature"?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)