|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who of Cofer's family members had problems assimilating into their new neighborhood?
(a) Her dog.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her father.
2. What feeling does Frazier seem to take about society's lack of idleness in "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
(a) It is tragic.
(b) He is hopeful.
(c) He doesn't care either way.
(d) It is maddening.
3. Where is Ehrlich spending the spring in "Spring"?
4. How do Gates and his community cheaply straighten their hair?
(a) They combed it over and over each night.
(b) They had straightening parties and all helped each other.
(c) By using an iron.
(d) By putting grease on it and keeping a stocking or rag on their head for a few days.
5. In Mother Tongue, who always made sense to Tan, even if the speech was grammatically incorrect?
(a) Tan's teacher.
(b) Tan's mom.
(c) Tan's dog.
(d) Tan's sister.
6. Which female wants to define herself by what she did and how she treated others from the essay "Hair"?
(a) Aldrich's older sister.
(c) Her youngest sister.
(d) Her mother.
7. What happens to change Ofri's state of being in "Merced"?
(a) Her patient comes in completely cured.
(b) Her patient dies at home.
(c) Her patient changes doctors because Ofri misdiagnosed her.
(d) Her patient becomes brain dead and will not survive another week.
8. From "The Blue Machinery," where does Komunyakaa work during a summer job?
(a) A mechanic shop.
(b) A shoe store.
(c) An electronics factory.
9. What was one of the problems Fadiman mentions about 19th century postage in "Mail"?
(a) It took too long to send mail.
(b) The recipient, not the sender had to pay for the postage.
(c) It was too expensive to send anything.
(d) No one used street addresses.
10. Who has the worst hair of Aldrich's family?
(a) Her older sister.
(b) Aldrich's youngest sister.
(c) Her brother.
11. In "The Stunt Piolot," why does Dillard's heart flutter?
(a) She thought he was handsome.
(b) The scenery from the sky was breathtaking.
(c) She was falling in love.
(d) They were close to the mountains.
12. What gift did McPhee's mom give him?
(a) A cute outfit with fire trucks on them.
(b) A silk parachute.
(c) A toy airplane.
(d) A toy firetruck.
13. What does Grealy boycott?
(c) Going in public.
14. Why is this gift special to Sanders in "The Inheritance of Tools"?
(a) They make him a man.
(b) They built his first house.
(c) He likes antiques.
(d) He learned his skills right next to his dad with them.
15. Who chastises Komunyakaa for keeping his reasoning for leaving a secret?
(d) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Gates go when he leaves America?
2. What did McPhee notice about his childhood gift?
3. What does McPhee compare his gift to in "Silk Parachute."
4. What does Grealy realize oppressed her all her life?
5. What does Grealy look down on?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)