|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why would people not take Tan's mother seriously in "Mother Tongue"?
(a) She was really obese.
(b) She was illiterate.
(c) She had a lazy eye.
(d) She spoke broken English.
2. What does Ofri ultimately realize from her patient in "Merced"?
(a) She should listen better to her patients.
(b) She should be more confident.
(c) She is not the master over death.
(d) She shouldn't be a doctor.
3. Pertaining to "Mirrorings," where do Lucy Grealy's doctors find a tumor?
(a) Her knee.
(b) Her breast.
(c) Her cheek.
(d) Her brain.
4. Pertaining to "The Telephone" where did Anwar Accawi grow up?
(a) A small town in Jordan.
(c) A town in Arizona.
5. Who seems to be the previous library book reader of "Book Marks"?
(a) A woman.
(b) A child.
(c) Her husband's mistress.
(d) No one, the book is new.
6. Pertaining to "Hair" what does Aldrich associate hair to?
(a) Aldrich's best feature.
(c) A woman's personal identity.
(d) Her mother.
7. What did Sanders inherit in "The Inheritance of Tools"?
(a) His dad's carpentry tools.
(b) A car.
(c) A house.
(d) An old rocking chair.
8. What thought does the stunt pilot know was possible, but never bothered him in "The Stunt Pilot"?
(a) That his mom hated the profession he chose.
(b) That he could die flying while performing his tricks.
(c) That Dillard only wrote this story for work.
(d) That Dillard loved Rahm.
9. Who does Gates recall having immaculate hair?
(a) Nat King Cole.
(b) August Wilson.
(c) His dad.
(d) Martin Luther King.
10. What type of love does Hoagland say is enough to make a man happy in "Heaven and Nature"?
(a) Simply loving the world.
(b) A romantic relationship.
(c) Love from God.
(d) A mother's love.
11. From "The Stunt Pilot" what is the name of the stunt pilot Dillard writes about?
(a) Dave Rhine.
(b) Davis Ronn.
(c) Davis Rahm.
(d) Dave Rahm.
12. What does Cofer NOT mention being in Little Puerto Rico?
(a) Speaking the same language.
(b) Puerto Rican restaurants.
(c) Grocery stores with Puerto Rican food.
(d) People that identity with their culture.
13. Why does Cofer's family move to New York City?
(a) To have a better life.
(b) They were running from the country's government.
(c) So Cofer's brother could play baseball.
(d) They were restationed in the Army.
14. What is Fadiman reflecting on in "Mail"?
(a) The history of communication.
(b) The invention of the telephone.
(c) Her childhood.
(d) Postage expenses.
15. What is Hoagland reflecting on in the essay "Heaven and Nature"?
(a) Suicide and its pyschological inspiration.
(b) His childhood.
(c) His wife's miscarraige.
(d) His second divorce.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hoagland's friend say about the number of suicides committed by men in "Heaven and Nature"?
2. Pertaining to "Mother Tongue," what is Tan's profession?
3. What is the main sign that McClanahan's first marriage is doomed to sadness?
4. In Mother Tongue, who always made sense to Tan, even if the speech was grammatically incorrect?
5. How do Gates and his community cheaply straighten their hair?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)