|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does McClanahan se from the margins of the previous reader?
(a) The same despair she once had.
(b) The desire for love.
(d) Love for poetry.
2. What are the benefits of Accawi's village becoming a global community?
(a) More educational opportunities and better pay.
(b) The ability to communicate to other cities.
(c) More opportunities to travel.
(d) The chance to meet famous people.
3. What were hair "kinks" a symbol of in Gate's essay, "In the Kitchen"?
(a) That they were poor.
(b) How one's black identity will always be a part of them even if they try to change it.
(c) That their mom didn't know how to do hair.
(d) That they wanted to be famous.
4. What does Fadiman think about the possibility of a published book of emails in "Mail"?
(a) She is horrified of the idea of a grammatically incorrect book.
(b) She wishes email were never invented.
(c) She hopes they are never published.
(d) She is excited and will help publish the first one.
5. Where does the pilot die in "The Stunt Pilot"?
(a) In the mountains of Patagonia.
(b) Flying Dillard to see the mountains.
(c) A show for the King of Jordan.
6. What does Komunyakaa not tell his co-workers?
(a) That he is an illegal citizen.
(b) That he is going to graduate school.
(c) That he has a terminal disease.
(d) That he is in love with their boss.
7. If lack of love is the reason for suicide, what does Hoagland suggest to those who know love?
(a) Cherish it .
(b) To remember those moments forever.
(c) To give love to anyone they meet.
(d) To reconsider how they live their life.
8. What does Dillard compare the exhaust trail of the plane to in "The Stunt Pilot"?
(a) The wind.
(b) A bird's tail.
(c) A stroke of a painter's brush.
(d) The brush of a hand.
9. What happened to the boy Ehrlich referred to in her essay, "Spring"?
(a) He died in a car accident.
(b) He moved away to another town.
(c) He committed suicide.
(d) He died from cancer.
10. How do Gates and his community cheaply straighten their hair?
(a) They combed it over and over each night.
(b) By putting grease on it and keeping a stocking or rag on their head for a few days.
(c) They had straightening parties and all helped each other.
(d) By using an iron.
11. What does Sanders say about a tool verses a machine in "The Inheritance of Tools'?
(a) A machine does more efficient work than a tool.
(b) A tool is cheaper than a machine.
(c) A tool relies heavily on the person who yields it.
(d) A tool is easier to use than a machine.
12. What question is Danticat asking at the end of the essay, "Westbury Court"?
(a) If her memory is correct and those children died.
(b) How the fire started.
(c) If the lady died.
(d) How to contact the lady.
13. What new thing happened to Frazier and his friends as they grew up in "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
(a) They all grew apart and weren't friends anymore.
(b) They began to feel guilty when they were not being productive.
(c) They realized being lazy was what they should do for a living.
(d) They started to like girls.
14. What is Fadiman reflecting on in "Mail"?
(a) The history of communication.
(b) The invention of the telephone.
(c) Postage expenses.
(d) Her childhood.
15. What did Sanders inherit in "The Inheritance of Tools"?
(a) A car.
(b) A house.
(c) His dad's carpentry tools.
(d) An old rocking chair.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pertaining to "Hair" what does Aldrich associate hair to?
2. What does Maria compare Komunyakaa to?
3. Who does Gates recall having immaculate hair?
4. Why is this gift special to Sanders in "The Inheritance of Tools"?
5. Where does Gates go when he leaves America?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)