|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hoagland's friend say about the number of suicides committed by men in "Heaven and Nature"?
(a) That women are stronger than men.
(b) That women usually don't have the means to kill themselves.
(c) That men are more passive in their emotions.
(d) Men are goal oriented and cannot stand the feeling of failure, so it is an easy escape.
2. Who chastises Komunyakaa for keeping his reasoning for leaving a secret?
(c) No one.
3. Why does Grealy end her boycott?
(a) A boy she has lunch with is not disgusted by her.
(b) She is asked on a date.
(c) She is asked to be a model.
(d) She has another surgery.
4. What is Ehrlich reflecting on in "Spring"?
(a) The beautiful country.
(b) Her late husband.
(c) Her illness.
(d) The insignificance of human existence .
5. What does Fadiman think about the possibility of a published book of emails in "Mail"?
(a) She hopes they are never published.
(b) She is horrified of the idea of a grammatically incorrect book.
(c) She wishes email were never invented.
(d) She is excited and will help publish the first one.
6. Who does Ehrlich mention rejecting when she was younger in "Spring"?
7. What does the interviewee in "Turning Point" do?
(a) Conduct the Atlanta Symphony.
(b) Tight rope walker.
(c) Mayor of NYC.
(d) Jump ropist.
8. What seemed to divide most households in Cofer's neighborhood?
(a) Who got the remote control for the TV.
(b) Who had to do the dishes at night.
(c) The desire to be assimilated into a white culture.
(d) The desire to be back in their homeland.
9. Pertaining to "Book Marks" what parallel is McClanahan making to her own life story?
(a) The underlinings in a library book, made by a previous reader.
(b) The direction of the wind.
(c) Her mother's life.
(d) Her first daughter's life.
10. Pertaining to "The Telephone" where did Anwar Accawi grow up?
(b) A town in Arizona.
(c) A small town in Jordan.
11. Who seems to be the previous library book reader of "Book Marks"?
(a) Her husband's mistress.
(b) A child.
(c) A woman.
(d) No one, the book is new.
12. How did Accawi's village become part of the global community?
(b) The telephone.
(c) The internet.
(d) Central air conditioning.
13. What was the one thing Grealy craved and completely lacked?
(a) A dad.
(b) Money to pay her debts.
(c) The ability to travel.
(d) Positive attention from boys.
14. How is time or age measured in Accawi's village?
(a) With a sundial.
(b) By a calendar.
(c) With a stopwatch.
(d) By it's proximity to other events.
15. What is Hoagland reflecting on in the essay "Heaven and Nature"?
(a) His wife's miscarraige.
(b) His second divorce.
(c) Suicide and its pyschological inspiration.
(d) His childhood.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the doctor from who has success on helping Grealy's disfigurement?
2. What does Ofri think about her diagnosis in "Merced"?
3. What does Frazier think of recreation for adults in his essay "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
4. Why is Cofer reflecting on the memories of moving to New York City?
5. Who has the worst hair of Aldrich's family?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)