|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maria compare Komunyakaa to?
(a) A man who leaves a woman after he gets what he wanted from her.
(b) A wise owl.
(c) The wind, that moves in nomadic directions.
(d) A grumpy mechanic.
2. What were hair "kinks" a symbol of in Gate's essay, "In the Kitchen"?
(a) That their mom didn't know how to do hair.
(b) How one's black identity will always be a part of them even if they try to change it.
(c) That they wanted to be famous.
(d) That they were poor.
3. What does Grealy boycott?
(c) Going in public.
4. Why is Tan's way of developing her English language unusual in the work, "Mother Tongue"?
(a) She learned to speak different forms in different contexts.
(b) Her mother taught her.
(c) She stayed after school and worked with her teacher.
(d) She went to a Chinese school, but their English program was great.
5. In "Turning Point," what is the interviewee's primary purpose for performing?
(a) To raise money to create his own company.
(b) To scare people.
(c) To expand the boundaries of art.
(d) To bring recognition to this art.
6. Who of Cofer's family members had problems assimilating into their new neighborhood?
(b) Her father.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her dog.
7. Which of the following does Aldrich not mention about her mother's concerns for her hair?
(b) Dying .
(d) Washing and drying.
8. When does the lady in the apartment down the hall in "Westbury Court" realize that there is a fire?
(a) When the firemen come in.
(b) When she sees smoke.
(c) When she wakes up.
(d) When she hears her screaming children.
9. What two things does Fadiman compare in "Mail"?
(a) UPS to FedEx.
(b) Victorian postage to electronic email.
(c) Cats to dogs.
(d) Van Gogh to Matisse.
10. Pertaining to "Mother Tongue," what is Tan's profession?
(a) She is an accountant.
(b) She is a writer.
(c) She is a waitress.
(d) She is a stay at home mom.
11. What does Frazier recall about his childhood in "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
(a) Camping and fishing.
(b) Making homemade biscuits.
(c) Cutting down a tree.
(d) Playing, exploring, and building all through the woods.
12. What seemed to divide most households in Cofer's neighborhood?
(a) The desire to be back in their homeland.
(b) The desire to be assimilated into a white culture.
(c) Who got the remote control for the TV.
(d) Who had to do the dishes at night.
13. In "Westbury Court," who moves into the apartment down the hall after the lady and her children move out?
(a) An old man.
(b) A group of Haitian musicians.
(c) Another family.
(d) It remains vacant.
14. Who has the worst hair of Aldrich's family?
(a) Aldrich's youngest sister.
(b) Her brother.
(d) Her older sister.
15. Where does the pilot die in "The Stunt Pilot"?
(a) In the mountains of Patagonia.
(b) A show for the King of Jordan.
(c) Flying Dillard to see the mountains.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hoagland surprisingly mention dying by a specific way of death in "Heaven and Nature"?
2. What did Sanders inherit in "The Inheritance of Tools"?
3. What does Sanders say about a tool verses a machine in "The Inheritance of Tools'?
4. What is Fadiman reflecting on in "Mail"?
5. What type of love does Hoagland say is enough to make a man happy in "Heaven and Nature"?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)