|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Mother Tongue, who always made sense to Tan, even if the speech was grammatically incorrect?
(a) Tan's dog.
(b) Tan's teacher.
(c) Tan's mom.
(d) Tan's sister.
2. What does Ofri originally think is the problem with her patient in "Merced?
(a) She has lyme disease.
(b) She has leukemia.
(c) She has a tumor.
(d) She has aseptic meningitis.
3. What is the lady in "Westbury Court" doing when the firemen come inside her apartment?
(a) Taking a nap.
(b) Taking a shower.
(c) Watching television.
4. Why is Tan's way of developing her English language unusual in the work, "Mother Tongue"?
(a) She went to a Chinese school, but their English program was great.
(b) Her mother taught her.
(c) She stayed after school and worked with her teacher.
(d) She learned to speak different forms in different contexts.
5. What does McPhee compare his gift to in "Silk Parachute."
(b) His father.
(c) His life up until that point.
(d) His mother.
6. What does Grealy look down on?
(a) Those who pride themselves for their good looks.
(b) Those who don't recycle.
(c) Those who never had cancer.
(d) Those who pride themselves on intellect.
7. Why does Grealy end her boycott?
(a) She has another surgery.
(b) She is asked to be a model.
(c) She is asked on a date.
(d) A boy she has lunch with is not disgusted by her.
8. Who seems to be the previous library book reader of "Book Marks"?
(a) Her husband's mistress.
(b) A child.
(c) No one, the book is new.
(d) A woman.
9. In "The Stunt Piolot," why does Dillard's heart flutter?
(a) She was falling in love.
(b) She thought he was handsome.
(c) The scenery from the sky was breathtaking.
(d) They were close to the mountains.
10. Pertaining to "Merced," what is Ofri's patients name?
11. Who does Gates recall having immaculate hair?
(a) August Wilson.
(b) Nat King Cole.
(c) His dad.
(d) Martin Luther King.
12. Why does Cofer's family move to New York City?
(a) To have a better life.
(b) They were running from the country's government.
(c) So Cofer's brother could play baseball.
(d) They were restationed in the Army.
13. Pertaining to "In the Kitchen," what is Gates reflecting on?
(a) Black hairstyles.
(b) His childhood home.
(c) Black athletes.
(d) His mother's cooking.
14. Pertaining to "Westbury Court," with what is Danticat struggling?
(a) Friends at school.
(b) Nuances and inconsistences of childhood memories.
(c) His mom.
(d) His first kiss.
15. What issue is Frazier discussing about the modern world in the essay "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
(a) Our need to make more money.
(b) The need to eat all organic foods.
(c) Our inability to be idle.
(d) Our obsession with technology.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Sanders thinking about this particular gift from his father in "The Inheritance of Tools"?
2. What does Ofri ultimately realize from her patient in "Merced"?
3. What does Fadiman think about the possibility of a published book of emails in "Mail"?
4. Why is Cofer reflecting on the memories of moving to New York City?
5. What thought does the stunt pilot know was possible, but never bothered him in "The Stunt Pilot"?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)