|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When McClanahan's husband leaves her, what does she do?
(a) Attempts suicide.
(b) Burns all of their pictures.
(c) Runs after his car and trips.
(d) Moves to Europe.
2. In "The Stunt Piolot," why does Dillard's heart flutter?
(a) She was falling in love.
(b) The scenery from the sky was breathtaking.
(c) She thought he was handsome.
(d) They were close to the mountains.
3. Which of the following does Aldrich not mention about her mother's concerns for her hair?
(c) Dying .
(d) Washing and drying.
4. What does Ofri think about her diagnosis in "Merced"?
(a) She feels on top of her profession.
(b) She wants to have a second opinion.
(c) She is afraid she is wrong.
(d) She thinks she is the smartest doctor.
5. What was one of the problems Fadiman mentions about 19th century postage in "Mail"?
(a) No one used street addresses.
(b) The recipient, not the sender had to pay for the postage.
(c) It took too long to send mail.
(d) It was too expensive to send anything.
6. What does Frazier recall about his childhood in "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
(a) Making homemade biscuits.
(b) Cutting down a tree.
(c) Playing, exploring, and building all through the woods.
(d) Camping and fishing.
7. What issue is Frazier discussing about the modern world in the essay "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
(a) Our inability to be idle.
(b) Our need to make more money.
(c) Our obsession with technology.
(d) The need to eat all organic foods.
8. What does Fadiman think about electronic mail in "Mail"?
(a) She wishes she had a computer so she could use it .
(b) She is horrified that people are forgo grammar and using abbreviations.
(c) She loves how fast it is.
(d) She dreads the invention of the next mail system .
9. Pertaining to "Spring," what is Ehrlich recovering from?
(d) Lyme disease.
10. What is Fadiman reflecting on in "Mail"?
(a) The history of communication.
(b) The invention of the telephone.
(c) Postage expenses.
(d) Her childhood.
11. How does Accawi feel about his village becoming a global community?
(a) He thinks the village is on a search for a better life that they have yet to find.
(b) He hates everything about it.
(c) He loves the progression his community is undergoing.
(d) He is nostalgic for his younger years.
12. Pertaining to "Merced," what is Ofri's patients name?
13. What does the interviewee in "Turning Point" repeatedly refuse?
(a) A TV show.
(b) An agent.
(c) Profit for his art.
14. Pertaining to "The Telephone" where did Anwar Accawi grow up?
(a) A small town in Jordan.
(c) A town in Arizona.
15. What seemed to divide most households in Cofer's neighborhood?
(a) Who had to do the dishes at night.
(b) The desire to be back in their homeland.
(c) Who got the remote control for the TV.
(d) The desire to be assimilated into a white culture.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which female wants to define herself by what she did and how she treated others from the essay "Hair"?
2. Pertaining to "Mirrorings," where do Lucy Grealy's doctors find a tumor?
3. What is the ultimate solution to the type of death discussed in "Heaven and Nature"?
4. Who does Gates recall having immaculate hair?
5. Who does Ehrlich mention rejecting when she was younger in "Spring"?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)