|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Hoagland surprisingly mention dying by a specific way of death in "Heaven and Nature"?
(a) Poor people.
(b) Depressed people.
(c) Rich people.
(d) Obese people.
2. What was the one thing Grealy craved and completely lacked?
(a) Money to pay her debts.
(b) A dad.
(c) The ability to travel.
(d) Positive attention from boys.
3. What was McPhee fascinated by as a child?
(a) Fire trucks.
(d) Space shuttles.
4. What ethnicity is Lily?
5. Pertaining to "Westbury Court," with what is Danticat struggling?
(a) His mom.
(b) His first kiss.
(c) Nuances and inconsistences of childhood memories.
(d) Friends at school.
6. What is the ultimate solution to the type of death discussed in "Heaven and Nature"?
(a) A house.
7. What does Frazier recall about his childhood in "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
(a) Cutting down a tree.
(b) Playing, exploring, and building all through the woods.
(c) Making homemade biscuits.
(d) Camping and fishing.
8. Who does Komunyakaa become close with where he works?
(a) Fred and Laura.
(c) Frank and Lily.
9. What was one of the problems Fadiman mentions about 19th century postage in "Mail"?
(a) No one used street addresses.
(b) The recipient, not the sender had to pay for the postage.
(c) It was too expensive to send anything.
(d) It took too long to send mail.
10. What does the interviewee in "Turning Point" repeatedly refuse?
(a) An agent.
(b) Profit for his art.
(c) A TV show.
11. Who chastises Komunyakaa for keeping his reasoning for leaving a secret?
(a) No one.
12. What nationality is Tan in the essay "Mother Tongue"?
13. Pertaining to "Silent Dancing" from what place does Cofer and her family immigrate?
(a) Costa Rica.
(b) Puerto Rico.
14. What does Fadiman think about the possibility of a published book of emails in "Mail"?
(a) She is excited and will help publish the first one.
(b) She is horrified of the idea of a grammatically incorrect book.
(c) She wishes email were never invented.
(d) She hopes they are never published.
15. What does Frazier NOT mention creeping its way into idleness in "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
(a) Complaining about wives or girlfriends.
(b) Discussing children.
(c) Complaing about business.
(d) Comparing salaries.
Short Answer Questions
1. What feeling does Frazier seem to take about society's lack of idleness in "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
2. What does McClanahan se from the margins of the previous reader?
3. What is Fadiman reflecting on in "Mail"?
4. Who does Gates recall having immaculate hair?
5. Why is Tan's way of developing her English language unusual in the work, "Mother Tongue"?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)