|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Cofer reflecting on the memories of moving to New York City?
(a) She watches an old home video.
(b) She sees a friend from her childhood.
(c) Her father died.
(d) She moved away.
2. How does Accawi feel about his village becoming a global community?
(a) He is nostalgic for his younger years.
(b) He thinks the village is on a search for a better life that they have yet to find.
(c) He loves the progression his community is undergoing.
(d) He hates everything about it.
3. What two things does Fadiman compare in "Mail"?
(a) Cats to dogs.
(b) Van Gogh to Matisse.
(c) UPS to FedEx.
(d) Victorian postage to electronic email.
4. At what two locations does the interviewee in "Turning Point" perform?
(a) The World Trade Center towers and Notre Dame Cathedral.
(b) JFK International Airport and Times Square.
(c) The Eiffel Tower and the Arc di Triomph.
(d) Leaning Tower of Pisa and the Pantheon.
5. What does Grealy boycott?
(a) Going in public.
6. Why does Sanders begin a new carpentry project in "The Inheritance of Tools"?
(a) To show is son what he used to do in his free time.
(b) His dad told him to finish what he started.
(c) To be close to his dad spiritually.
(d) To get money for the project.
7. What does Ofri originally think is the problem with her patient in "Merced?
(a) She has lyme disease.
(b) She has aseptic meningitis.
(c) She has leukemia.
(d) She has a tumor.
8. What was the one thing Grealy craved and completely lacked?
(a) The ability to travel.
(b) Positive attention from boys.
(c) A dad.
(d) Money to pay her debts.
9. Pertaining to "In the Kitchen," what is Gates reflecting on?
(a) His mother's cooking.
(b) Black athletes.
(c) His childhood home.
(d) Black hairstyles.
10. Who chastises Komunyakaa for keeping his reasoning for leaving a secret?
(a) No one.
11. What question is Danticat asking at the end of the essay, "Westbury Court"?
(a) If the lady died.
(b) If her memory is correct and those children died.
(c) How to contact the lady.
(d) How the fire started.
12. What was McPhee fascinated by as a child?
(a) Fire trucks.
(c) Space shuttles.
13. What does the interviewee in "Turning Point" do?
(a) Conduct the Atlanta Symphony.
(b) Jump ropist.
(c) Mayor of NYC.
(d) Tight rope walker.
14. Pertaining to "Turning Point," who does Chelminski interview?
(b) Sean Penn.
(c) Philippe Petit.
(d) James Joyce.
15. How is time or age measured in Accawi's village?
(a) With a stopwatch.
(b) By a calendar.
(c) By it's proximity to other events.
(d) With a sundial.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Aldrich not mention about her mother's concerns for her hair?
2. What type of love does Hoagland say is enough to make a man happy in "Heaven and Nature"?
3. Pertaining to "Mother Tongue," what is Tan's profession?
4. What does Grealy feel she was being praised for during her battle with chemotherapy?.
5. What was the hope of incorporating the new postage system called "penny post" in "Mail"?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)