|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What feeling does Frazier seem to take about society's lack of idleness in "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
(a) He is hopeful.
(b) It is tragic.
(c) It is maddening.
(d) He doesn't care either way.
2. Why would people not take Tan's mother seriously in "Mother Tongue"?
(a) She was really obese.
(b) She had a lazy eye.
(c) She was illiterate.
(d) She spoke broken English.
3. Why is Cofer reflecting on the memories of moving to New York City?
(a) Her father died.
(b) She moved away.
(c) She sees a friend from her childhood.
(d) She watches an old home video.
4. What is the main sign that McClanahan's first marriage is doomed to sadness?
(a) She was in love with her best friend.
(b) Her husband impregnated another woman.
(c) McClanahan cheated on him with another man.
(d) McClanahan could not have any children.
5. Pertaining to "Turning Point," who does Chelminski interview?
(b) James Joyce.
(c) Philippe Petit.
(d) Sean Penn.
6. In "The Stunt Piolot," why does Dillard's heart flutter?
(a) They were close to the mountains.
(b) She thought he was handsome.
(c) The scenery from the sky was breathtaking.
(d) She was falling in love.
7. Who seems to be the previous library book reader of "Book Marks"?
(a) A child.
(b) Her husband's mistress.
(c) No one, the book is new.
(d) A woman.
8. What does Grealy feel she was being praised for during her battle with chemotherapy?.
(a) Her positive attutude.
(b) Hiding the pain.
(c) Being brave.
(d) Surviving the treatment.
9. Pertaining to "Spring," what is Ehrlich recovering from?
(b) Lyme disease.
10. What ethnicity is Lily?
11. What does the interviewee in "Turning Point" repeatedly refuse?
(b) A TV show.
(c) An agent.
(d) Profit for his art.
12. What does Hoagland's friend say about the number of suicides committed by men in "Heaven and Nature"?
(a) That men are more passive in their emotions.
(b) Men are goal oriented and cannot stand the feeling of failure, so it is an easy escape.
(c) That women are stronger than men.
(d) That women usually don't have the means to kill themselves.
13. What did Sanders inherit in "The Inheritance of Tools"?
(a) His dad's carpentry tools.
(b) A car.
(c) A house.
(d) An old rocking chair.
14. In "Turning Point," what is the interviewee's primary purpose for performing?
(a) To scare people.
(b) To expand the boundaries of art.
(c) To bring recognition to this art.
(d) To raise money to create his own company.
15. What happens to change Ofri's state of being in "Merced"?
(a) Her patient becomes brain dead and will not survive another week.
(b) Her patient dies at home.
(c) Her patient changes doctors because Ofri misdiagnosed her.
(d) Her patient comes in completely cured.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hoagland surprisingly mention dying by a specific way of death in "Heaven and Nature"?
2. Who chastises Komunyakaa for keeping his reasoning for leaving a secret?
3. What new thing happened to Frazier and his friends as they grew up in "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
4. From "The Stunt Pilot" what is the name of the stunt pilot Dillard writes about?
5. What was one of the problems Fadiman mentions about 19th century postage in "Mail"?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)