|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pertaining to "Westbury Court," with what is Danticat struggling?
(a) Friends at school.
(b) His mom.
(c) His first kiss.
(d) Nuances and inconsistences of childhood memories.
2. Why would people not take Tan's mother seriously in "Mother Tongue"?
(a) She spoke broken English.
(b) She had a lazy eye.
(c) She was really obese.
(d) She was illiterate.
3. What does Grealy feel she was being praised for during her battle with chemotherapy?.
(a) Being brave.
(b) Her positive attutude.
(c) Hiding the pain.
(d) Surviving the treatment.
4. Why does Cofer's family move to New York City?
(a) So Cofer's brother could play baseball.
(b) They were running from the country's government.
(c) To have a better life.
(d) They were restationed in the Army.
5. What gift did McPhee's mom give him?
(a) A silk parachute.
(b) A toy airplane.
(c) A toy firetruck.
(d) A cute outfit with fire trucks on them.
6. In "Westbury Court," who moves into the apartment down the hall after the lady and her children move out?
(a) Another family.
(b) It remains vacant.
(c) A group of Haitian musicians.
(d) An old man.
7. What does McPhee compare his gift to in "Silk Parachute."
(a) His mother.
(c) His father.
(d) His life up until that point.
8. Which of the following does Aldrich not mention about her mother's concerns for her hair?
(c) Washing and drying.
(d) Dying .
9. Who chastises Komunyakaa for keeping his reasoning for leaving a secret?
(a) No one.
10. What does Grealy boycott?
(d) Going in public.
11. What happens to change Ofri's state of being in "Merced"?
(a) Her patient dies at home.
(b) Her patient changes doctors because Ofri misdiagnosed her.
(c) Her patient becomes brain dead and will not survive another week.
(d) Her patient comes in completely cured.
12. What does Ofri ultimately realize from her patient in "Merced"?
(a) She should listen better to her patients.
(b) She should be more confident.
(c) She is not the master over death.
(d) She shouldn't be a doctor.
13. If lack of love is the reason for suicide, what does Hoagland suggest to those who know love?
(a) Cherish it .
(b) To reconsider how they live their life.
(c) To remember those moments forever.
(d) To give love to anyone they meet.
14. What is Fadiman reflecting on in "Mail"?
(a) Postage expenses.
(b) The invention of the telephone.
(c) Her childhood.
(d) The history of communication.
15. Who seems to be the previous library book reader of "Book Marks"?
(a) A child.
(b) A woman.
(c) No one, the book is new.
(d) Her husband's mistress.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hoagland surprisingly mention dying by a specific way of death in "Heaven and Nature"?
2. Why is Sanders thinking about this particular gift from his father in "The Inheritance of Tools"?
3. What does Ofri originally think is the problem with her patient in "Merced?
4. Pertaining to "Merced," what is Ofri's patients name?
5. What does Ehrlich see violently shaking and jiggling beneath its surface in "Spring"?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)