|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From "The Blue Machinery," where does Komunyakaa work during a summer job?
(a) A shoe store.
(b) A mechanic shop.
(d) An electronics factory.
2. Pertaining to "Book Marks" what parallel is McClanahan making to her own life story?
(a) The underlinings in a library book, made by a previous reader.
(b) Her mother's life.
(c) Her first daughter's life.
(d) The direction of the wind.
3. Pertaining to "Hair" what does Aldrich associate hair to?
(a) Her mother.
(b) A woman's personal identity.
(d) Aldrich's best feature.
4. What does Ehrlich see violently shaking and jiggling beneath its surface in "Spring"?
(a) The ocean.
(b) Mount Rushmore.
(c) The mountains.
(d) Still and peacefulness.
5. What does the interviewee in "Turning Point" do?
(a) Mayor of NYC.
(b) Jump ropist.
(c) Tight rope walker.
(d) Conduct the Atlanta Symphony.
6. Why does Grealy end her boycott?
(a) A boy she has lunch with is not disgusted by her.
(b) She is asked to be a model.
(c) She is asked on a date.
(d) She has another surgery.
7. What happens to change Ofri's state of being in "Merced"?
(a) Her patient dies at home.
(b) Her patient changes doctors because Ofri misdiagnosed her.
(c) Her patient becomes brain dead and will not survive another week.
(d) Her patient comes in completely cured.
8. What was the one thing Grealy craved and completely lacked?
(a) The ability to travel.
(b) Money to pay her debts.
(c) A dad.
(d) Positive attention from boys.
9. When McClanahan's husband leaves her, what does she do?
(a) Moves to Europe.
(b) Runs after his car and trips.
(c) Attempts suicide.
(d) Burns all of their pictures.
10. Which of the following does Aldrich not mention about her mother's concerns for her hair?
(a) Dying .
(b) Washing and drying.
11. What nationality is Tan in the essay "Mother Tongue"?
12. In "Turning Point," what is the interviewee's primary purpose for performing?
(a) To scare people.
(b) To raise money to create his own company.
(c) To bring recognition to this art.
(d) To expand the boundaries of art.
13. Why does Dillard later ride in the airplane in "The Stunt Pilot"?
(a) To look at some mountains and travel to an island.
(b) To see his tricks.
(c) He flew her on her book tour.
(d) They got married and flew together on their honeymoon.
14. Why does Sanders begin a new carpentry project in "The Inheritance of Tools"?
(a) To show is son what he used to do in his free time.
(b) His dad told him to finish what he started.
(c) To get money for the project.
(d) To be close to his dad spiritually.
15. What does Cofer NOT mention being in Little Puerto Rico?
(a) Puerto Rican restaurants.
(b) Speaking the same language.
(c) People that identity with their culture.
(d) Grocery stores with Puerto Rican food.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ofri think about her diagnosis in "Merced"?
2. Who seems to be the previous library book reader of "Book Marks"?
3. What does the interviewee in "Turning Point" repeatedly refuse?
4. Who of Cofer's family members had problems assimilating into their new neighborhood?
5. What is the real problem with Ofri's patient in "Merced"?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)