|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two things does Fadiman compare in "Mail"?
(a) UPS to FedEx.
(b) Cats to dogs.
(c) Van Gogh to Matisse.
(d) Victorian postage to electronic email.
2. What does Fadiman think about electronic mail in "Mail"?
(a) She is horrified that people are forgo grammar and using abbreviations.
(b) She wishes she had a computer so she could use it .
(c) She loves how fast it is.
(d) She dreads the invention of the next mail system .
3. Who does Komunyakaa become close with where he works?
(c) Frank and Lily.
(d) Fred and Laura.
4. How do Gates and his community cheaply straighten their hair?
(a) They combed it over and over each night.
(b) By using an iron.
(c) They had straightening parties and all helped each other.
(d) By putting grease on it and keeping a stocking or rag on their head for a few days.
5. What does Ofri originally think is the problem with her patient in "Merced?
(a) She has aseptic meningitis.
(b) She has leukemia.
(c) She has a tumor.
(d) She has lyme disease.
6. What is the real problem with Ofri's patient in "Merced"?
(a) She has lyme disease.
(b) She has leukemia.
(c) She has aseptic meningitis.
(d) She has a tumor.
7. What does Hoagland's friend say about the number of suicides committed by men in "Heaven and Nature"?
(a) That women are stronger than men.
(b) That women usually don't have the means to kill themselves.
(c) That men are more passive in their emotions.
(d) Men are goal oriented and cannot stand the feeling of failure, so it is an easy escape.
8. What does Frazier NOT mention creeping its way into idleness in "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
(a) Discussing children.
(b) Complaing about business.
(c) Complaining about wives or girlfriends.
(d) Comparing salaries.
9. What were hair "kinks" a symbol of in Gate's essay, "In the Kitchen"?
(a) How one's black identity will always be a part of them even if they try to change it.
(b) That they were poor.
(c) That their mom didn't know how to do hair.
(d) That they wanted to be famous.
10. What new thing happened to Frazier and his friends as they grew up in "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
(a) They began to feel guilty when they were not being productive.
(b) They all grew apart and weren't friends anymore.
(c) They started to like girls.
(d) They realized being lazy was what they should do for a living.
11. What does Sanders say about a tool verses a machine in "The Inheritance of Tools'?
(a) A tool relies heavily on the person who yields it.
(b) A tool is cheaper than a machine.
(c) A machine does more efficient work than a tool.
(d) A tool is easier to use than a machine.
12. Pertaining to "Westbury Court," with what is Danticat struggling?
(a) His first kiss.
(b) Friends at school.
(c) Nuances and inconsistences of childhood memories.
(d) His mom.
13. What was McPhee fascinated by as a child?
(a) Fire trucks.
(c) Space shuttles.
14. Why does Cofer's family move to New York City?
(a) So Cofer's brother could play baseball.
(b) They were restationed in the Army.
(c) They were running from the country's government.
(d) To have a better life.
15. Where does the pilot die in "The Stunt Pilot"?
(a) In the mountains of Patagonia.
(b) Flying Dillard to see the mountains.
(c) A show for the King of Jordan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ehrlich see violently shaking and jiggling beneath its surface in "Spring"?
2. What is the lady in "Westbury Court" doing when the firemen come inside her apartment?
3. What ethnicity is Lily?
4. Pertaining to "Mother Tongue," what is Tan's profession?
5. Pertaining to "Hair" what does Aldrich associate hair to?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)