|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dillard later ride in the airplane in "The Stunt Pilot"?
(a) He flew her on her book tour.
(b) To look at some mountains and travel to an island.
(c) To see his tricks.
(d) They got married and flew together on their honeymoon.
2. What does Cofer NOT mention being in Little Puerto Rico?
(a) Puerto Rican restaurants.
(b) Grocery stores with Puerto Rican food.
(c) Speaking the same language.
(d) People that identity with their culture.
3. Pertaining to "Turning Point," who does Chelminski interview?
(b) Philippe Petit.
(c) Sean Penn.
(d) James Joyce.
4. What was McPhee fascinated by as a child?
(a) Fire trucks.
(b) Space shuttles.
5. Who seems to be the previous library book reader of "Book Marks"?
(a) Her husband's mistress.
(b) No one, the book is new.
(c) A woman.
(d) A child.
6. What question is Danticat asking at the end of the essay, "Westbury Court"?
(a) If her memory is correct and those children died.
(b) If the lady died.
(c) How the fire started.
(d) How to contact the lady.
7. Pertaining to "Silent Dancing" from what place does Cofer and her family immigrate?
(b) Costa Rica.
(d) Puerto Rico.
8. What was the hope of incorporating the new postage system called "penny post" in "Mail"?
(a) To increase revenue and lower the cost .
(b) It would be faster.
(c) It would decrease the revenue and mail would eventually die out .
(d) Everyone has pennies, so everyone could mail something.
9. What does Frazier recall about his childhood in "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
(a) Cutting down a tree.
(b) Playing, exploring, and building all through the woods.
(c) Making homemade biscuits.
(d) Camping and fishing.
10. What does Grealy realize oppressed her all her life?
(a) Doctors telling her she would never look normal.
(b) Not being able to get her driver's license.
(c) The anxiety over her appearance.
(d) Her disfigurement.
11. Why does Cofer's family move to New York City?
(a) So Cofer's brother could play baseball.
(b) They were restationed in the Army.
(c) To have a better life.
(d) They were running from the country's government.
12. What does Fadiman think about the possibility of a published book of emails in "Mail"?
(a) She is excited and will help publish the first one.
(b) She hopes they are never published.
(c) She is horrified of the idea of a grammatically incorrect book.
(d) She wishes email were never invented.
13. Why is Cofer reflecting on the memories of moving to New York City?
(a) She watches an old home video.
(b) She moved away.
(c) She sees a friend from her childhood.
(d) Her father died.
14. Pertaining to "Merced," what is Ofri's patients name?
15. What are the benefits of Accawi's village becoming a global community?
(a) The ability to communicate to other cities.
(b) More educational opportunities and better pay.
(c) The chance to meet famous people.
(d) More opportunities to travel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What thought does the stunt pilot know was possible, but never bothered him in "The Stunt Pilot"?
2. What did Sanders inherit in "The Inheritance of Tools"?
3. Who does Komunyakaa become close with where he works?
4. What does McPhee compare his gift to in "Silk Parachute."
5. Why does Sanders begin a new carpentry project in "The Inheritance of Tools"?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)