|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What feeling does Frazier seem to take about society's lack of idleness in "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
(a) It is maddening.
(b) He doesn't care either way.
(c) He is hopeful.
(d) It is tragic.
2. What does Ofri ultimately realize from her patient in "Merced"?
(a) She shouldn't be a doctor.
(b) She is not the master over death.
(c) She should be more confident.
(d) She should listen better to her patients.
3. Which of the following does Aldrich not mention about her mother's concerns for her hair?
(b) Washing and drying.
(c) Dying .
4. Pertaining to "In the Kitchen," what is Gates reflecting on?
(a) His mother's cooking.
(b) Black athletes.
(c) Black hairstyles.
(d) His childhood home.
5. Who does Hoagland surprisingly mention dying by a specific way of death in "Heaven and Nature"?
(a) Depressed people.
(b) Rich people.
(c) Obese people.
(d) Poor people.
6. What does Hoagland's friend say about the number of suicides committed by men in "Heaven and Nature"?
(a) That men are more passive in their emotions.
(b) That women are stronger than men.
(c) Men are goal oriented and cannot stand the feeling of failure, so it is an easy escape.
(d) That women usually don't have the means to kill themselves.
7. What does Komunyakaa not tell his co-workers?
(a) That he is going to graduate school.
(b) That he is in love with their boss.
(c) That he has a terminal disease.
(d) That he is an illegal citizen.
8. What does Grealy boycott?
(a) Going in public.
9. What is Fadiman reflecting on in "Mail"?
(a) Her childhood.
(b) The invention of the telephone.
(c) Postage expenses.
(d) The history of communication.
10. What does Ehrlich see violently shaking and jiggling beneath its surface in "Spring"?
(a) The mountains.
(b) Mount Rushmore.
(c) The ocean.
(d) Still and peacefulness.
11. Who has the worst hair of Aldrich's family?
(a) Aldrich's youngest sister.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her older sister.
12. What did Sanders inherit in "The Inheritance of Tools"?
(a) A house.
(b) A car.
(c) His dad's carpentry tools.
(d) An old rocking chair.
13. What does McClanahan se from the margins of the previous reader?
(a) The same despair she once had.
(c) The desire for love.
(d) Love for poetry.
14. In "The Stunt Piolot," why does Dillard's heart flutter?
(a) The scenery from the sky was breathtaking.
(b) She thought he was handsome.
(c) She was falling in love.
(d) They were close to the mountains.
15. Why would people not take Tan's mother seriously in "Mother Tongue"?
(a) She spoke broken English.
(b) She was illiterate.
(c) She was really obese.
(d) She had a lazy eye.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Komunyakaa become close with where he works?
2. What is the real problem with Ofri's patient in "Merced"?
3. What new thing happened to Frazier and his friends as they grew up in "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
4. What issue is Frazier discussing about the modern world in the essay "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
5. What ethnicity is Lily?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)