|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is time or age measured in Accawi's village?
(a) With a sundial.
(b) With a stopwatch.
(c) By it's proximity to other events.
(d) By a calendar.
2. What does the interviewee in "Turning Point" do?
(a) Tight rope walker.
(b) Conduct the Atlanta Symphony.
(c) Mayor of NYC.
(d) Jump ropist.
3. Which of the following does Aldrich not mention about her mother's concerns for her hair?
(a) Dying .
(d) Washing and drying.
4. What did McPhee notice about his childhood gift?
(a) The color.
(b) That it was expensive.
(c) The elegant and steady way it always returned to him.
(d) How heavy it was.
5. What does Grealy boycott?
(c) Going in public.
6. Pertaining to the "The Inheritance of Tools," who is Sanders thinking of?
(a) His father.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) His mom.
(d) His first baseball coach.
7. In Mother Tongue, who always made sense to Tan, even if the speech was grammatically incorrect?
(a) Tan's dog.
(b) Tan's mom.
(c) Tan's teacher.
(d) Tan's sister.
8. What does Frazier recall about his childhood in "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
(a) Playing, exploring, and building all through the woods.
(b) Cutting down a tree.
(c) Camping and fishing.
(d) Making homemade biscuits.
9. What does Frazier think of recreation for adults in his essay "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
(a) There is not enough time to recreate with friends.
(b) It is always goal oriented.
(c) They should be allowed a certain amount of time to recreate per week.
(d) They are too old for tackle football.
10. What happened to the boy Ehrlich referred to in her essay, "Spring"?
(a) He moved away to another town.
(b) He committed suicide.
(c) He died in a car accident.
(d) He died from cancer.
11. What is Ehrlich reflecting on in "Spring"?
(a) The insignificance of human existence .
(b) Her illness.
(c) The beautiful country.
(d) Her late husband.
12. What does Sanders say about a tool verses a machine in "The Inheritance of Tools'?
(a) A machine does more efficient work than a tool.
(b) A tool relies heavily on the person who yields it.
(c) A tool is cheaper than a machine.
(d) A tool is easier to use than a machine.
13. What was McPhee fascinated by as a child?
(a) Space shuttles.
(c) Fire trucks.
14. What does Ofri originally think is the problem with her patient in "Merced?
(a) She has leukemia.
(b) She has a tumor.
(c) She has aseptic meningitis.
(d) She has lyme disease.
15. When does the lady in the apartment down the hall in "Westbury Court" realize that there is a fire?
(a) When she hears her screaming children.
(b) When the firemen come in.
(c) When she wakes up.
(d) When she sees smoke.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nationality is Tan in the essay "Mother Tongue"?
2. What does Fadiman think about electronic mail in "Mail"?
3. For what did McClanahan pay?
4. What does McPhee compare his gift to in "Silk Parachute."
5. Who does Adlrich recall being obsessed with their hair?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)