|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bernard really die?
2. What is the name of the enigmatic character in the house?
3. What is a common activity in the Nowak house?
4. What is the surname of the Jewish family for whom Christopher works?
5. What is the profession of Fraulein Kost?
Short Essay Questions
1. When do the events in Section five take place? What is the basis of the vignette?
2. What is the nature of the relationship between Peter and Otto?
3. What is the phrase the narrator uses to describe himself?
4. What precipitates Sally's move from her residence? Where does she go?
5. With which two family members does Christopher seem to connect with the most?
6. Who are the residents of the boarding house?
7. How does Christopher describe the situation?
8. What is the subtitle to this section? When and where do the events take place?
9. What is the activity shared by Christopher and Fritz. Does the activity confirm any thoughts about Christopher's sexuality?
10. What is the overall format of the book? What is one of the main recurring themes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bradshaw, Christopher and others were expatriates living in Berlin. What is an expatriate? Have you ever met one? Are you one? Where might you find an expatriate? What are your opinions on expatriates? Write a 500-word essay about becoming an expatriate OR find at least five famous expatriates and write a short bio on each.
Essay Topic 2
It is obvious that many of the characters in the book are homosexual or bisexual, although that precise word is never used. Why do you think Isherwood made many references to this behavior but avoided using any explicit reference to homosexuality and bisexuality? Cite various passages in the text that show a character's sexuality and discuss how it is referenced by Isherwood. Is Isherwood bisexual or homosexual? How do you know?
Essay Topic 3
Several of the characters have strong opinions about Nazis versus the Communists. Compare and contrast the two groups. Which do you think would be best for the German people? Who was the first to assert itself as a potential front runner? Which group prevailed? What happened to the other group? Do both groups still exist in Berlin today?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)