|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city does Mr. van Hoorn live?
2. What activity does Bradshaw scheme to get out of because it induced extreme boredom?
3. Which of the following is not used as a way to describe those first days in Switzerland?
4. Who steals the money causing the event to be canceled?
5. The Baron invites Bradshaw to what location?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bradshaw react when he catches Norris and the women in a compromising position?
2. What is the first piece of information given to Bradshaw regarding Norris' true identity?
3. Who does Bradshaw meet on arriving at Norris' house for tea? What is the man's occupation?
4. What does Fraulein Schroeder tell Bradshaw?
5. What information was contained in Norris' last postcard to Bradshaw?
6. How does the narrator describe Mr. Norris? How do the men meet?
7. How do the four men come to spend the day together?
8. In addition to watching all the activity around him, what mystery does Bradshaw attempt to solve?
9. The narrator makes what declaration about the election results?
10. What action takes place in the beginning of the chapter? Who was involved in the action and what was the result?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bradshaw and Norris meet on a train on their way to Berlin. The train is often used as a mode of transportation in literature. Why do you think the train has such a reputation as a meeting place in literature? Name at least three other stories or books that begin with characters meeting for the first time on a train. Do you think that the characters can get to know each other well in such a short period of time? Would the same story evolve if the characters had met on an airplane or bus? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Norris, the Baron, van Hoorn, Otto and others were involved in gathering and passing on information to various governments. Write a 750 word essay on this practice and how it might have been instrumental in World War II. Do you think what the men did was illegal? Who would punish them for their actions? What were the punishments? Do you consider the activities patriotism or an act of treason? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Piet makes the comment that his country should have a leader as strong as Hitler. Piet sees Hitler as a man of ambition and a man without ambition should not exist. Explain what Piet meant by that statement. How was Piet comparing his government to the Nazi regime? What was Bradshaw's reaction? Do you think Piet was correct? Do you consider Hitler to be an ambitious person? Explain.
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)