|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bradshaw do while waiting for Norris?
2. Bradshaw recounts his last _____ in Germany.
3. How does the person communicate with Norris?
4. Who else do the men spot at the station?
5. What does Piet reveal to Bradshaw in secrecy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the result of the upsetting news?
2. What becomes obvious to Bradshaw over the next few days?
3. How does Bradshaw react when he catches Norris and the women in a compromising position?
4. What events take place in New Year's Eve? Who is present at the party?
5. Who attempts to intercept Norris as he is leaving the city? What prevents the interception?
6. What was it that made the Baron so upset in regards to Norris?
7. What is the offer made to Bradshaw by the Baron? What happens when Bradshaw receives the offer from the Baron?
8. What does Bradshaw make of the event? What does he think about Norris?
9. What precipitates the meeting between Bradshaw and Piet? Where does it occur?
10. How does the narrator describe Mr. Norris? How do the men meet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bradshaw, Christopher and others were expatriates living in Berlin. What is an expatriate? Have you ever met one? Are you one? Where might you find an expatriate? What are your opinions on expatriates? Write a 500-word essay about becoming an expatriate OR find at least five famous expatriates and write a short bio on each.
Essay Topic 2
Read and write a 1000 word essay on the Nazi manifesto. What was the purpose of the group? What was its mission? What was the ultimate goal? What happened to those that opposed it? Why did the Nazis single out Jews, homosexuals and other groups as ones that should be persecuted? How did other European countries react to the manifesto? How did the US react?
Essay Topic 3
Several of the characters have strong opinions about Nazis versus the Communists. Compare and contrast the two groups. Which do you think would be best for the German people? Who was the first to assert itself as a potential front runner? Which group prevailed? What happened to the other group? Do both groups still exist in Berlin today?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)