|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the person in #121 tell La Belle Lisa about Florent?
2. When does Les Halles return to its former respectable state?
3. Who does La Belle Lisa see praying in church?
4. The person in #154 convinces Florent to join him in looking for _____________.
5. Why is La Belle Lisa embarrassed when she goes to the police station to report Florent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in the market class of the mid 1800s, the time period of the novel. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Zola use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Quenu. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)