|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does La Belle Lisa learn when she goes to the police to turn in Florent?
2. Who is the last to know about what happens to Florent?
3. When does Les Halles return to its former respectable state?
4. What does Madame Leonce say that Monsieur Gavard has in his cupboard?
5. Who owns the building where Gavard lives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although the vendors live on the fringe of acceptable society, they take care of each other. What is the bond between the characters in Les Halles that makes them want to help each other even when others won't? Is there a common denominator among the Les Halles market society that they recognize themselves in each other? Explain some situations in the book where the Les Halles vendors exhibit humanity toward one another.
Essay Topic 2
Zola uses more than one iteration on the theme of greed. Identify at least two situations about greed in the novel. Then provide support for each situation you name.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Florent, Quenu, La Belle Lisa and Gavard. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, politics, and socialization.
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)