|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Florent once arrested and deported?
2. What is Florent's mood on his first day of work?
3. Why does Florent abandon his law studies a second time?
4. Who is La Belle Normande's mother?
5. Who owns the charcuterie that Florent visits?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Monsieur Gavard and what impact does he have on the lives of Florent and Quenu?
2. Why is Gavard happy that Florent has accepted a job as a fish inspector?
3. What are the circumstances in which Florent assumes care of Quenu?
4. To what does Florent liken a huge belly?
5. What happens after Florent mysteriously disappears?
6. How can Marjolin and Cadine be compared to Lisa and Quenu?
7. What temporary job does Florent accept and how does he feel about working again?
8. Who is the only character that defies the Fat vs. Thin categorization?
9. How do La Belle Lisa and La Belle Normande become friends again?
10. What accounts for Quenu's lack of decisiveness and spoiled behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Zola uses more than one iteration on the theme of greed. Identify at least two situations about greed in the novel. Then provide support for each situation you name.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in the market class of the mid 1800s, the time period of the novel. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Florent, Quenu, La Belle Lisa and Gavard. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, politics, and socialization.
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)