|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Florent think of the new Paris?
2. Which charcuterie does Florent visit?
3. What does Florent begin to plan in Chapter 3?
4. After their mother dies, Florent and Quenu leave ____________ and move to Paris.
5. How long did it take the person in #14 to escape from Devil's Island?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Florent visualize at the beginning of Chapter 6?
2. What is the impact of Marjolin's advances on La Belle Lisa?
3. How does Florent reject Quenu and Lisa's bourgeois lifestyle?
4. Who is Monsieur Gavard and what impact does he have on the lives of Florent and Quenu?
5. How does Florent meet La Belle Normande and what does she do that upsets him?
6. How are Florent and Quenu related?
7. Who is Leon and why do Marjolin and Cadine befriend him?
8. How does Mademoiselle Saget finally get information on Florent's secret?
9. Explain Florent's escape from Devil's Island and his journey back to Paris.
10. How do Florent and Quenu's lives change when they reconnect with their Uncle Gradelle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE BELLY OF PARIS takes place in Paris in the mid-1800s. Explain what is going on in Paris at this time that made Zola decide to write this story in this setting.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of La Belle Lisa. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Zola use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 1,182 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)