|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another name for Devil's Island?
2. What is Les Halles?
3. Who is Florent's younger brother?
4. What is Claude Lantier's profession?
5. How long did it take the person in #14 to escape from Devil's Island?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe some of the careers that Quenu attempts and what happens to Florent's finances as a result.
2. What does La Belle Lisa do with the photograph she finds?
3. What are the circumstances in which Florent assumes care of Quenu?
4. What does Florent visualize at the beginning of Chapter 6?
5. What accounts for Quenu's lack of decisiveness and spoiled behavior?
6. What temporary job does Florent accept and how does he feel about working again?
7. What does La Belle Lisa's visit to the priest point out about the market class' beliefs about religion?
8. Why do the authorities seize Muche's lesson books?
9. What proof of an insurrection does La Belle Lisa find and what decision does she make regarding Florent?
10. Who are Marjolin and Cadine and what role does Mere Chantemesse play in their lives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Zola uses beautifully descriptive language in the book to help his readers see Les Halles from his perspective. Without referring to the book, describe the Les Halles district. How do you visualize Les Halles and Paris in general now that you have read Zola's THE BELLY OF PARIS?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Zola use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 1,199 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)