|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what type of container is Gradelle's fortune found
2. What is Claude Lantier's profession?
3. What job does Florent accept?
4. Why does Florent abandon his law studies a second time?
5. As a result of his upbringing, Quenu grows up to be ___________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the mood in Les Halles after Florent has been reported to the authorities?
2. Why does La Belle Lisa not tell Quenu about the police waiting to arrest Florent?
3. What does La Belle Lisa do with the photograph she finds?
4. Explain Florent's escape from Devil's Island and his journey back to Paris.
5. Who are the family members that Florent reunites with and what is the nature of their business?
6. Describe some of the careers that Quenu attempts and what happens to Florent's finances as a result.
7. Who is the protagonist of THE BELLY OF PARIS and what is his situation that sets up the novel?
8. What temporary job does Florent accept and how does he feel about working again?
9. What does La Belle Lisa's visit to the priest point out about the market class' beliefs about religion?
10. Who is Monsieur Gavard and what impact does he have on the lives of Florent and Quenu?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Zola uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the novel and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of La Belle Lisa. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Although the vendors live on the fringe of acceptable society, they take care of each other. What is the bond between the characters in Les Halles that makes them want to help each other even when others won't? Is there a common denominator among the Les Halles market society that they recognize themselves in each other? Explain some situations in the book where the Les Halles vendors exhibit humanity toward one another.
This section contains 1,311 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)