|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which cab has Holmes instructed Mary to take after she has spent time in the storage room?
2. Who screams when she sees Holmes and Mary running down the hall and down the stairs at Mary's lodgings?
3. What is floating near the pier in the river where Holmes and Mary board a boat in Chapter 12?
4. How is Holmes disguised at the beginning of Chapter 17?
5. Where did the relative live who left John Dickson an inheritance?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Holmes get to Oxford without anyone knowing he is not home?
2. How does Mary decipher the meaning of the Roman numerals that were left in the wrecked cab?
3. How did Holmes kill Professor James Moriarty?
4. What impression of Holmes does the suicide note give that Miss Donleavy wrote for Holmes?
5. How does Holmes act when he and Mary go to the opera at Covent Gardens?
6. How does Mary's driving affect Holmes as they drive toward Sussex?
7. Why does Mary decide to go to Palestine?
8. How does Holmes change after he returns from Palestine?
9. Why is Mary surprised when she sees a shoe in the hand of a man working in the Yard laboratory?
10. How do Mary and Holmes create a sensation at Mary's lodgings in Chapter 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the reactions of Mary, Holmes, Mycroft, and Watson to the bombing at Watson's home.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Holmes trains Mary to be observant and how Mary uses her powers of observation throughout the story.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the reasons why Holmes decides that it is time for Mary to end her apprenticeship and become a partner.
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)