|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Captain Jones spend January?
2. Where did the mud come from that Holmes and Mary find at the scene of the wrecked cab and in the ladies' restroom in the park?
3. What story did Mary and her mother read a year after reading about Judith and Holofernes?
4. What base does Mary use to crack the code of the Roman numerals left on the seat of the wrecked cab?
5. What is the subject of the autographed monograph that Miss Donleavy stole from a police commissioner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mary think when she sees Miss Donleavy in Holmes's laboratory?
2. Describe what Mary does and says when she sees Jerusalem for the first time.
3. Where were some places that Mary and Holmes sleep while they were in Palestine?
4. How does Mary become aware that she is being followed two weeks before the end of the term?
5. How did John Dickson change after he received an inheritance?
6. What impression of Holmes does the suicide note give that Miss Donleavy wrote for Holmes?
7. In a story Mary tells, what does Judith do to save her people from Holofernes?
8. Why does Mary need a car, and how will she get the money for one?
9. Describe the cab after it is destroyed and the cab driver choloroformed.
10. How does Holmes change after he returns from Palestine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Mary and Holmes use deductive reasoning. Discuss how Mary and Holmes use deductive reasoning when making observations in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the pros and cons that Mary considers when she decides to rescue Jessica rather than wait for Holmes to rescue the child the next day.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Mary's relationship with her aunt and the reasons why they do not get along.
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)