|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8 when Holmes makes coffee for Mary, what traces of a substance remain in the beaker that he uses?
2. What is the name of Mary's tutor who helps her pass the exams for Oxford?
3. What language does Mary read and write?
4. Where do Homes and Mary agree to meet the evening after Watson's home is bombed?
5. How many brands of cigarettes and cigars can Mary recognize from their ashes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Watson determine where Mary and Holmes are after Mary calls and tells him to leave his home?
2. Why isn't Holmes pleased to be called in to investigate the Simpson kidnapping case?
3. What does Mrs. Hudson serve Mary for tea during her first visit to Holmes's residence?
4. What is the sequence of events in Jessica Simpson's kidnapping?
5. What does Mary learn from the morning newspaper that Mycroft brings in while she, Holmes, and Watson are having breakfast?
6. Why is Mary disgruntled on a filthy, bitterly wet night in December of 1918?
7. In the fourth town that Holmes and Mary visit when searching for Jessica, where do Holmes and Mary learn that Jessica is being held?
8. How do Mary and Holmes leave her room unobserved in Chapter 9?
9. In Chapter 2, why can Mary hear the sound of angry queens?
10. How does Mary blossom after meeting Holmes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After the trip to Palestine, Mary and Holmes agree to act as if they are estranged in order to catch the woman who is behind the bombings and attacks. Discuss how this estrangement and separation affects Mary and Holmes.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss World War I and how it affected Mary and the people of England.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Mary's relationship with her aunt and the reasons why they do not get along.
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)