|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the first term in the Oxford calendar?
2. How many German spies did Holmes and Mary help capture when they helped Mrs. Barker?
3. Which of Holmes's enemies does Mary jokingly say that the mastermind behind the bombings appears to be like?
4. In December of 1918, what does Holmes give Mary as an early birthday present?
5. What had the bomber who bombed Watson's home been convicted of bombing earlier?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mary determine that the blind man selling pencils is someone in disguise looking for her and for Holmes?
2. How does Holmes respond when Mary reveals that she is a girl?
3. Why does Mary hesitate to enter her room at the Thomas's in Chapter 8?
4. Why does the robbery of the Monk's Tun Inn, of all the cases she ever worked on, stand out in Mary's mind?
5. What does Mary learn from Mrs. Hudson?
6. In the fourth town that Holmes and Mary visit when searching for Jessica, where do Holmes and Mary learn that Jessica is being held?
7. Why does Mary leave the house early that April morning when she meets Holmes?
8. What is the sequence of events in Jessica Simpson's kidnapping?
9. What does Mary learn from the morning newspaper that Mycroft brings in while she, Holmes, and Watson are having breakfast?
10. How does Mary blossom after meeting Holmes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 10, Watson reveals how he arrived supposedly unnoticed at the Diogenes Club. Discuss Watson's disguise, circuitous route, and how he is discovered by the enemy.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the reasons why Holmes decides that it is time for Mary to end her apprenticeship and become a partner.
Essay Topic 3
Both Mary and Holmes use deductive reasoning. Discuss how Mary and Holmes use deductive reasoning when making observations in the novel.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)