|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mary reading when she meets Holmes?
2. What is the name of Mary's tutor who helps her pass the exams for Oxford?
3. What is the month when Mary meets Holmes?
4. Which one of Mrs. Barker's dogs does Mary take to try to sniff out the burglar who stole the food from the inn?
5. Where had the kidnappers been instructed to purchase clothing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gift does Holmes give Mary for her eighteenth birthday?
2. Why doesn't Holmes believe that the person behind the kidnapping will ever be caught?
3. What does Mary learn from the morning newspaper that Mycroft brings in while she, Holmes, and Watson are having breakfast?
4. Why does the robbery of the Monk's Tun Inn, of all the cases she ever worked on, stand out in Mary's mind?
5. What is the sequence of events in Jessica Simpson's kidnapping?
6. Describe Holmes the day he and Mary meet.
7. How do Mary and Holmes leave her room unobserved in Chapter 9?
8. Why does Holmes destroy the lock of Sylvester's kitchen door?
9. What does Holmes say when Mary asks if he minds if she looks into the burglary at the inn?
10. How does Mary blossom after meeting Holmes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are times when Holmes introduces Mary as his assistant and this introduction is met with disbelief. Discuss how and why Mary's apprenticeship with Holmes is questioned.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the reasons why Holmes decides that it is time for Mary to end her apprenticeship and become a partner.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 12, Holmes makes some major mistakes. Discuss the errors that Holmes makes and why Holmes is making mistakes.
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)