|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the storage room, what type of shoes does Mary find that match a dress there?
2. What book had Holmes written about bees?
3. What beverages did the burglar take from the inn?
4. When is Watson's home bombed?
5. What is the nationality of the couple whose daughter was kidnapped?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Holmes and Mary entertain wherever they go in Wales when they are dressed as gypsies?
2. What is the storage room?
3. Why does Mary hesitate to enter her room at the Thomas's in Chapter 8?
4. What does Holmes say when Mary asks if he minds if she looks into the burglary at the inn?
5. How does Watson determine where Mary and Holmes are after Mary calls and tells him to leave his home?
6. What happens during the robbery of the Monk's Tun?
7. In the fourth town that Holmes and Mary visit when searching for Jessica, where do Holmes and Mary learn that Jessica is being held?
8. How do Mary and Holmes contact Mycroft when they arrive at the Diogenes Club?
9. Why does Holmes, rather than Mary, go back to get reinforcements after they discover that Sylvester robbed the inn?
10. What gift does Holmes give Mary for her eighteenth birthday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, discuss what propriety has to do with the relationship between Mary and Holmes.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss World War I and how it affected Mary and the people of England.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 11 Holmes compares himself to a fugue. Discuss why Holmes is like a fugue.
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)