|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mary explain who Holmes is to Mr. Thomas when Holmes is disguised as a priest?
(a) She says that he is her grandfather's brother.
(b) She says that he is her mother's uncle.
(c) She says that he is a distant relative.
(d) She says he is an old family friend.
2. What food does Mary smell when she arrives with Holmes at his house after the drive from Oxford?
(a) Meat pies.
(b) Apple pies.
(c) Roast beef.
(d) Roast lamb.
3. Who is the only person who sees through Mary's disguise in Palestine and knows that she was a woman?
(a) A Bedouin woman.
(b) A Palestinian professor.
(c) A fisherwoman.
(d) An archeologist.
4. What is floating near the pier in the river where Holmes and Mary board a boat in Chapter 12?
(a) An old boot.
(b) A cat's body.
(c) A dead fish.
(d) A dog's body.
5. How old was Mary's brother when he learned to read?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Mrs. Hudson going to get away from the woman mastermind?
2. How many letters does Mary have from Mrs. Hudson when she returns to the ship after the time in Palestine?
3. After their chess game on board ship, when does Mary next speak with Holmes?
4. Where had John Dickson been working before he bombed Watson's house?
5. Where did the mud come from that Holmes and Mary find at the scene of the wrecked cab and in the ladies' restroom in the park?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is in a package that is delivered to the front desk of Scotland Yard in Chapter 12?
2. How will Mrs. Hudson be protected when she returns to care for Holmes's house in Sussex?
3. What impression of Holmes does the suicide note give that Miss Donleavy wrote for Holmes?
4. Why has Miss Donleavy decided to deal with Holmes at this time in her life?
5. What does Holmes see when he arrives at the laboratory in his home and lights a lamp?
6. How does Mary become aware that she is being followed two weeks before the end of the term?
7. Why does Mary decide to go to Palestine?
8. What does Mary think when she sees Miss Donleavy in Holmes's laboratory?
9. In a story Mary tells, what does Judith do to save her people from Holofernes?
10. Why is Mary worried about pretending to be alienated from Holmes?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)