|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the first term in the Oxford calendar?
(a) Trinity term.
(b) Hilary term.
(c) Michaelmas term.
(d) Wiley term.
2. In 1918, when is there a deadly air raid on London?
3. In December of 1918, what does Holmes give Mary as an early birthday present?
(a) A magnifying glass.
(b) A locket.
(d) A set of picklocks.
4. What do Mary, Holmes, and Mycroft eat at the end of Chapter 9?
(a) Leg of lamb.
(b) Roast capon.
(c) Roast beef.
(d) Cold turkey breast.
5. Where is Mary planning to go for Christmas in 1918?
(a) Jane DelaField's home.
(b) Catharine Whitfield's home.
(c) Veronica Beaconfield's home.
(d) Margaret Bryant's home.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 10, who is watching the Diogenes Club looking for Mary and Holmes?
2. Where had the kidnappers been instructed to purchase clothing?
3. What language does Mary read and write?
4. How much money did Sylvester steal?
5. Besides Jessica Simpson, what else was missing on the morning that the little girl disappeared?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mary learn from Mrs. Hudson?
2. How do Mary and Holmes leave her room unobserved in Chapter 9?
3. What does Holmes say when Mary asks if he minds if she looks into the burglary at the inn?
4. What is the sequence of events in Jessica Simpson's kidnapping?
5. What do Holmes and Mary find when they are walking a trail they think the kidnappers might have taken?
6. What does Mary learn from the morning newspaper that Mycroft brings in while she, Holmes, and Watson are having breakfast?
7. What happens during the robbery of the Monk's Tun?
8. Why isn't Holmes pleased to be called in to investigate the Simpson kidnapping case?
9. Why does Holmes destroy the lock of Sylvester's kitchen door?
10. Why does Mary leave the house early that April morning when she meets Holmes?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)