|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the cab driver of the cab that Holmes drives on the night that he and Mary attend the opera at Covent Gardens?
2. After arriving in England on the ship from Palestine, how long is it before Mary sees Holmes again?
(a) Two months.
(b) Six months.
(c) Eight weeks.
(d) Six weeks.
3. Who beat and colonized Palestine in the third millennium B.C.E.?
(a) The Turks.
(b) The Greeks.
(c) The Akkadians.
(d) The Romans.
4. How many Roman numerals do Holmes and Mary see in a picture of the shredded cab seats?
(a) Twenty five.
5. Where does Mary wear a bandage after she and Holmes return to the ship after their time in Palestine?
(a) On her leg.
(b) Across one cheek.
(c) On her forehead.
(d) On her arm.
6. How much weight has Mary lost since January?
(a) Four pounds.
(b) Five pounds.
(c) Six pounds.
(d) Seven pounds.
7. What is the name of the large police constable who Mary flatters when she stands by the fire, while Holmes, Lestrade, and the fingerprint expert examine the cab?
(a) Tom Fowler.
(b) Jack Miller.
(c) Dave Fawcett.
(d) Bob Brown.
8. How does Miss Donleavy want Holmes laboratory to be lit?
(c) Oil lamps.
(d) The electrical lights.
9. Who is the only person who sees through Mary's disguise in Palestine and knows that she was a woman?
(a) A Bedouin woman.
(b) An archeologist.
(c) A Palestinian professor.
(d) A fisherwoman.
10. How is Holmes disguised at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) As an old woman.
(b) As a gypsy.
(c) As a nun.
(d) As an old priest.
11. What does Miss Donleavy say that Holmes and Mary look like when she confronts them?
(a) A pair of turkeys.
(b) A pair of donkeys.
(c) A pair of sheep.
(d) A pair of idiots.
12. What music does Mary hear at a concert she attends with a young man?
13. Where does Mary keep the envelope that Holmes gives her when she visits?
(a) In the Bodleian.
(b) In her rooms.
(c) In a safe.
(d) On her person.
14. Where is Mary shot after she struggles with Miss Donleavy?
15. Whose hair did Miss Donleavy leave at the crime scenes?
(a) Her father's.
(b) Her mother's.
(c) Her brother's.
(d) Her own.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mary explain who Holmes is to Mr. Thomas when Holmes is disguised as a priest?
2. What is the relationship between the two men who guide Mary and Holmes around Palestine?
3. What type of dog does one of Mary's followers walk while Mary is having tea on the road to Eastbourne?
4. When Holmes and Mary discuss where to go to stay away from the mastermind behind the bombings and other attacks, how long does Holmes say it has been since he had a vacation?
5. After their chess game on board ship, when does Mary next speak with Holmes?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)