|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the large police constable who Mary flatters when she stands by the fire, while Holmes, Lestrade, and the fingerprint expert examine the cab?
(a) Bob Brown.
(b) Jack Miller.
(c) Dave Fawcett.
(d) Tom Fowler.
2. What is the name of the cab driver of the cab that Holmes drives on the night that he and Mary attend the opera at Covent Gardens?
3. How far is Jerusalem from Acre?
(a) Seventy miles.
(b) Eighty miles.
(c) Ten miles.
(d) Twenty miles.
4. What is floating near the pier in the river where Holmes and Mary board a boat in Chapter 12?
(a) An old boot.
(b) A dog's body.
(c) A dead fish.
(d) A cat's body.
5. What color clay does Mary find in the wrecked cab?
(a) Light brown.
6. Where had John Dickson been working before he bombed Watson's house?
(a) A construction business.
(b) His father-in-law's music business.
(c) An accounting office.
(d) His grandfather's grocery store.
7. How long does Holmes want himself and Mary to disappear to try to get the female mastermind off their trail?
(a) Three months.
(b) Four months.
(c) One month.
(d) Two months.
8. How old was Mary's brother when he learned to read?
9. In Chapter 13, what direction does the captain of the boat that carries Holmes and Mary change to at night fall?
10. What music does Mary hear at a concert she attends with a young man?
11. Why is Mary late for tea at Holmes's home when she comes in March?
(a) Mary's car broke down on the road.
(b) A farmer is herding sheep across the road.
(c) A farm cart is overturned on the road.
(d) A farmer is herding cows across the road.
12. How did Miss Donleavy consider blackmailing the cabby Billy?
(a) Incidents in his sister's past.
(b) A scandal in his father's family.
(c) A scandal in his mother's family.
(d) Indiscretions in his past.
13. How much weight has Mary lost since January?
(a) Six pounds.
(b) Five pounds.
(c) Seven pounds.
(d) Four pounds.
14. After arriving in England on the ship from Palestine, how long is it before Mary sees Holmes again?
(a) Six months.
(b) Two months.
(c) Eight weeks.
(d) Six weeks.
15. When the watchers leave Sussex and Holmes picks through the garbage they leave behind, where does Holmes learn that all the stuff came from?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years of Holmes's life does he say he loses during the drive from Oxford to Sussex?
2. Whose hair did Miss Donleavy leave at the crime scenes?
3. How many of Holmes's London hideaways did Miss Donleavy find?
4. What base does Mary use to crack the code of the Roman numerals left on the seat of the wrecked cab?
5. Which of Mary's tutors are absent when she returns to Oxford after being in Palestine?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)