|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Dolmance in the Fourth Dialogue, what is the most tiresome thing he can imagine?
(a) An old man.
(b) A church.
(c) A small penis.
(d) A vagina.
2. Through Dolmance in the Third Dialogue, Sade advocates the destruction of what?
(a) The poor.
(d) Social mores.
3. According to Madame in the Third Dialogue, what is the psychological effect of semen's operation in conception?
(a) Men must copulate constantly.
(b) Children love their fathers more.
(c) Women desire to drink semen.
(d) Women yearn to have a penis.
4. What letter does Chevalier use to denote the friend who introduced her to Dolmance?
5. What corporal punishment does Dolmance administer to Eugenie early in the Third Dialogue?
(a) Dripping hot wax.
(c) Tying down.
6. What decor of Madame de Saint-Ange's boudoir arouses curiosity from Eugenie in the Third Dialogue?
(a) Lace curtains.
(c) Hanging straps.
(d) Decorative whips.
7. What order does Dolmance give Eugenie regarding their devious plan in the coming days?
(a) Add arsenic to the family port.
(b) Seduce a sevant in the house.
(c) Return to the convent.
(d) Get close to her mother.
8. According to Dolmance, what does God have no reason to do?
(a) Forbid homosexuality.
(b) Let people live comfortably.
(c) Damn people to Hell.
(d) Care about humanity.
9. To what iconic literary figure does Chevalier compare himself and his sister in the First Dialogue?
(c) Oedipus Rex.
(d) Don Quixote.
10. What is the maximum number of penises that Madame de Saint-Ange theorizes a woman could handle at one time?
11. Which of the following groups is not one that Sade refers to specifically in To the Libertines?
12. According to Madame de Saint-Ange in this section, what is the surest way for a wanton woman to avoid pregnancy?
(a) Have sex only in a standing position.
(b) Sleep only with impotent men.
(c) Have only anal sex.
(d) Use contraceptives.
13. What promise do Madame de Saint-Ange and Dolmance make Eugenie at the beginning of this section?
(a) To get her out of her parent's house.
(b) To secure her a private honorarium.
(c) To preserve her virginity until the Cevalier arrives.
(d) To help her plan a murder.
14. Near the end of this section, Dolmance discusses his libertine friends seducing who?
(a) Mental patients.
15. How many people are involved in the sexual tryst Chevalier first engages in with Dolmance, as related in the First Dialogue?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first character to begin kissing and caressing Eugenie?
2. In To the Libertines, what does Sade promise to all of those who follow his precepts?
3. What color is Eugenie's hair?
4. How does Dolmance characterize the poor at the end of this section?
5. What does Dolmance like to keep in his house for sexual pleasure?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)