|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Damon get the author to do?
2. What is present on Pachita's alter?
3. What is the last part of the entire book about?
4. Chapters 2-9 mostly dealt with _______, setting a background for the story.
5. What does the author believe she has found after so many years of darkness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is situated on Pachita's alter?
2. As Johanna grows up and attends college, what interests her?
3. Who is Great Aunt Dixie?
4. Why does the author's relationship with Beck suddenly come to an end?
5. What does Jesus' appearance mean for Johanna?
6. As the book begins, what business is the author undertaking?
7. From an early age, what often distracted and bothered Johanna?
8. As a young student, Johanna tampers with a Ouija Board. What does she believe about the board?
9. What literary device is prevalent during the first part of the book?
10. What reckless friend does Johanna meet in college?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. In order to become closer to God, Johanna believes she must give up many things. Name some of the things that Johanna gives up.
2. Why does she think it is essential for her to give up things she enjoys. In her mind, how does it make her closer to God?
3. Do you agree with Johanna's new beliefs? Why or Why not?
Essay Topic 2
The struggle between God and Satan are two major parts of Christianity and the focus of the book.
1. How does the author characterize Satan?
2. How is God characterized?
3. Explain how God and Satan are balancing forces at work throughout the universe everyday.
Essay Topic 3
The author works relentlessly to establish a theme of darkness throughout the novel.
1. Discuss three occasions where the theme is most intensely carried on the plot and descriptions of events.
2. How does a theme of darkness and deception help the author prove her stance on occult-like practices?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)