Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Dr. Carlos?
2. What makes the young author's life difficult?
3. What frightening encounter does she have at the theater at Wesleyan?
4. What is the metaphorical meaning of her pet snake?
5. Who is really in control of the minds working within the Mind Control group?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Johanna, why is it so easy for many people to be misled by occultism.
2. By not mentioning more of her parents actions in the book, what conclusion does the reader draw?
3. What must all people study according to Johanna?
4. What does the first chapter serve as for the rest of the book?
5. How should believers test their community leaders and religious leaders?
6. What does Jesus' appearance mean for Johanna?
7. Upon returning to the United States, what groups does Johanna begin to join?
8. As Johanna grows up and attends college, what interests her?
9. As she discovers the powers of being near the theater, what spirits does Johanna meet?
10. As Johanna continues to work with Pachita, who does Johanna feel she is having difficulty connecting with?
Essay Topic 1
1. Compare the characters of Damon and Beck.
2. How are they similar and different from one another?
3. Why do you think the author chose to use pseudonyms for both characters?
4. Explain the term literary "foil." How does the author establish Damon and Beck to be foils for one another?
Essay Topic 2
Johanna attempts to establish Hermanito as an evil, angered, and manipulative entity. How does Hermanito manipulate the following people below?
Essay Topic 3
The author works relentlessly to establish a theme of darkness throughout the novel.
1. Discuss three occasions where the theme is most intensely carried on the plot and descriptions of events.
2. How does a theme of darkness and deception help the author prove her stance on occult-like practices?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)