|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Johanna become very skilled in by working with Mind Control?
2. What other of Johanna's powers have improved?
3. What is Tom's philosophy in teaching Mind Control?
4. After her second encounter with Professor Koch, who does the author begin to see?
5. What is Cuauhtemoc?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Great Aunt Dixie?
2. Who discovers the Mind Control program and what is it?
3. What is situated on Pachita's alter?
4. Why does the author's relationship with Beck suddenly come to an end?
5. What does the author seem to be searching for at the beginning of the novel?
6. As the book begins, what business is the author undertaking?
7. Why does Johanna decide to marry Beck?
8. Where do the majority of Johanna's fretful experiences with spirits occur?
9. What is the overall tone and feeling of Johanna's childhood?
10. Growing up, what did many townspeople consider Johanna to be?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Johanna attempts to present herself as a true prophet by giving the reader several ways in which he can rid himself from occult-like practices.
1. List the suggested methods.
2. Do you believe their is validity in this method?
3. By giving the reader these guidelines, what is Johanna professing knowledge of?
Essay Topic 2
Ultimately, Johanna comes to believe that the theater is related to occult-like behavior.
1. How do Johanna's personal experiences in theaters, cause her to draw this conclusion?
2. Describe two specific events that Johanna has in theaters.
3. Who else from the book would agree with Johanna's assertions?
Essay Topic 3
The author works relentlessly to establish a theme of darkness throughout the novel.
1. Discuss three occasions where the theme is most intensely carried on the plot and descriptions of events.
2. How does a theme of darkness and deception help the author prove her stance on occult-like practices?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)