|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the metaphorical meaning of her pet snake?
2. What frightening encounter does she have at the theater at Wesleyan?
3. Who does Johanna feel very connected to during her childhood?
4. What does Pachita keep on her alter?
5. Why does Johanna end her relationship with Beck?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the double meaning for the words "Mind Control."
2. As a young student, Johanna tampers with a Ouija Board. What does she believe about the board?
3. Why does Johanna decide to marry Beck?
4. How does mind control help humanity?
5. What does the first chapter serve as for the rest of the book?
6. What are the two forms that Jesus appears to Johanna?
7. What is situated on Pachita's alter?
8. By not mentioning more of her parents actions in the book, what conclusion does the reader draw?
9. From an early age, what often distracted and bothered Johanna?
10. As Johanna grows up and attends college, what interests her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Pachita and Hermanito. How do the two entities share one body?
Do they seem to get along with one another?
How are the two entities like minded but also confused about their existence within one another?
Essay Topic 2
1. Examine the author's sister, Kim. How does the character change throughout the novel?
2. What prompts her to be judgmental of Johanna?
3. Later on, how does she change?
Essay Topic 3
In her travels, apprenticeship and studies, Johanna encounters many individuals who believe that their abilities and psychic abilities are good for humanity.
1. Because Johanna now believes that most of these powers were given by Satan, does she hold the unlikely physic or healer at fault?
2. Is it hypocritical for her to hold these individuals accountable?
3. Does Johanna try to confront her old friends with the truth she believes she now possesses?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)