|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is missing about the author's upbringing?
2. How did the nuns treat the author?
3. Chapters 2-9 mostly dealt with _______, setting a background for the story.
4. What happens in Washington D.C.?
5. According to the author what does Pachita attempt to disguise her work as?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does mind control help humanity?
2. What is the double meaning for the words "Mind Control."
3. Why does Johanna decide to marry Beck?
4. What literary device is prevalent during the first part of the book?
5. What happens to be the real truth concerning Pachita's work?
6. What did Johanna rely on while being attacked by other school children?
7. By not mentioning more of her parents actions in the book, what conclusion does the reader draw?
8. What does the author seem to be searching for at the beginning of the novel?
9. Growing up, what did many townspeople consider Johanna to be?
10. What type of schooling did Johanna receive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. In order to become closer to God, Johanna believes she must give up many things. Name some of the things that Johanna gives up.
2. Why does she think it is essential for her to give up things she enjoys. In her mind, how does it make her closer to God?
3. Do you agree with Johanna's new beliefs? Why or Why not?
Essay Topic 2
There are extremely distinct style and tone shifts throughout Johanna's narrative.
1. State the four different styles that Johanna shifts between.
2. What sections have which tones associated with them?
3. How does Johanna weave her tale but also concisely change the tone of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Ultimately, Johanna comes to believe that the theater is related to occult-like behavior.
1. How do Johanna's personal experiences in theaters, cause her to draw this conclusion?
2. Describe two specific events that Johanna has in theaters.
3. Who else from the book would agree with Johanna's assertions?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)