|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gets the author through her childhood and adulthood?
2. What are the names of Johanna's two new male friends?
3. Where does Damon take the author on this excursion?
4. Why does Johanna become depressed?
5. What does Beck help the author through?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the double meaning for the words "Mind Control."
2. As a part of the program, practitioners are given two mentors. Who are Johanna's mentors?
3. How does mind control help humanity?
4. What did Johanna rely on while being attacked by other school children?
5. Why does Johanna decide to marry Beck?
6. What reckless friend does Johanna meet in college?
7. From an early age, what often distracted and bothered Johanna?
8. What are the two forms that Jesus appears to Johanna?
9. Who discovers the Mind Control program and what is it?
10. Who does Johanna become very close to as a young girl?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In her travels, apprenticeship and studies, Johanna encounters many individuals who believe that their abilities and psychic abilities are good for humanity.
1. Because Johanna now believes that most of these powers were given by Satan, does she hold the unlikely physic or healer at fault?
2. Is it hypocritical for her to hold these individuals accountable?
3. Does Johanna try to confront her old friends with the truth she believes she now possesses?
Essay Topic 2
There are extremely distinct style and tone shifts throughout Johanna's narrative.
1. State the four different styles that Johanna shifts between.
2. What sections have which tones associated with them?
3. How does Johanna weave her tale but also concisely change the tone of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
1. Compare North Carolina Chapel Hill to Wesleyan College.
2. Why does Johanna choose to switch universities?
3. Does changing schools improve Johanna's life? How does the torture of Johanna continue on throughout her time at both universities?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)