|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author introduce Damon to in the chapter, Damon?
2. What does the first three quarters of the book concern itself with?
3. What does Pachita keep on her alter?
4. What is the author's search for Pachita representative of?
5. What gets the author through her childhood and adulthood?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the double meaning for the words "Mind Control."
2. What does Jesus' appearance mean for Johanna?
3. Who does Johanna become very close to as a young girl?
4. From an early age, what often distracted and bothered Johanna?
5. What are the two forms that Jesus appears to Johanna?
6. What is situated on Pachita's alter?
7. As a young student, Johanna tampers with a Ouija Board. What does she believe about the board?
8. Why does Johanna decide to marry Beck?
9. What does the first chapter serve as for the rest of the book?
10. What does Johanna think of Pachita's home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A theme of deception and disguise has a very powerful presence throughout the book. Choose two of the characters below and describe how they successfully or unsuccessfully mask their true selves.
Essay Topic 2
Johanna attempts to present herself as a true prophet by giving the reader several ways in which he can rid himself from occult-like practices.
1. List the suggested methods.
2. Do you believe their is validity in this method?
3. By giving the reader these guidelines, what is Johanna professing knowledge of?
Essay Topic 3
1. Compare the characters of Damon and Beck.
2. How are they similar and different from one another?
3. Why do you think the author chose to use pseudonyms for both characters?
4. Explain the term literary "foil." How does the author establish Damon and Beck to be foils for one another?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)