|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. This _____ is the story of experiences with the ____.
2. Who is Great Aunt Dixie?
3. What happens in Washington D.C.?
4. What does Johanna envision her mind laboratory to be like?
5. While the rest of the book will be dark, what does the author give the reader a glimpse of at the end of the chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Johanna grows up and attends college, what interests her?
2. As a young student, Johanna tampers with a Ouija Board. What does she believe about the board?
3. What does Jesus' appearance mean for Johanna?
4. Who discovers the Mind Control program and what is it?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 1, why is Dr. Carlos angry with Tom?
6. What is the overall tone and feeling of Johanna's childhood?
7. What does the author seem to be searching for at the beginning of the novel?
8. What does Johanna think of Pachita's home?
9. How does mind control help humanity?
10. Growing up, what did many townspeople consider Johanna to be?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. In order to become closer to God, Johanna believes she must give up many things. Name some of the things that Johanna gives up.
2. Why does she think it is essential for her to give up things she enjoys. In her mind, how does it make her closer to God?
3. Do you agree with Johanna's new beliefs? Why or Why not?
Essay Topic 2
1. Compare North Carolina Chapel Hill to Wesleyan College.
2. Why does Johanna choose to switch universities?
3. Does changing schools improve Johanna's life? How does the torture of Johanna continue on throughout her time at both universities?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, the author uses various tones to discuss her spiritual journey. Choose two different sections of the book and analyze the tone. How does the author's voice change between the two sections?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)