|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the author's focus at the end of "Angry Shadows?"
2. According to the author what does Pachita attempt to disguise her work as?
3. What leads her to accept Beck's marriage proposal?
4. Who did Great Aunt Dixie feel would inherit her gift?
5. Chapters 2-9 mostly dealt with _______, setting a background for the story.
Short Essay Questions
1. Upon returning to the United States, what groups does Johanna begin to join?
2. How is this chapter different from the rest of the book?
3. How does mind control help humanity?
4. What reckless friend does Johanna meet in college?
5. As she discovers the powers of being near the theater, what spirits does Johanna meet?
6. What are the two forms that Jesus appears to Johanna?
7. What important character is Johanna introduced to after she joins the Light and Power House?
8. According to Johanna, why is it so easy for many people to be misled by occultism.
9. As a young student, Johanna tampers with a Ouija Board. What does she believe about the board?
10. At the beginning of Chapter 1, why is Dr. Carlos angry with Tom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. Compare North Carolina Chapel Hill to Wesleyan College.
2. Why does Johanna choose to switch universities?
3. Does changing schools improve Johanna's life? How does the torture of Johanna continue on throughout her time at both universities?
Essay Topic 2
1. Compare the characters of Damon and Beck.
2. How are they similar and different from one another?
3. Why do you think the author chose to use pseudonyms for both characters?
4. Explain the term literary "foil." How does the author establish Damon and Beck to be foils for one another?
Essay Topic 3
Johanna attempts to establish Hermanito as an evil, angered, and manipulative entity. How does Hermanito manipulate the following people below?
This section contains 1,486 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)