|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kay introduces the narrator to a Chinese woman described as a _________________.
2. What is notable about Morris?
3. From what part of the country does Tex come?
4. Who does the psychiatrist in #63 think is the only one who can cure the narrator?
5. What does Annie do while visiting the narrator's parents' home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the narrator's relationship with Annie and what does she do to embarrass herself while visiting his parents?
2. Who is William Everett Hunton, and what negative impact does he have on the lives of Annie and the narrator?
3. What does the narrator learn about Hunton from an older man with the same name?
4. How does the narrator meet Tex and Morris?
5. What is the significance of Betty and Kay to the narrator's life?
6. What are some of the narrator's fundamental beliefs about sexuality?
7. How is Buddhism connected to the narrator's seemingly paradoxical desires for sex with men and also freedom from that desire.
8. With whom does the narrator have his first gay sexual experience and how does he feel about it afterward?
9. What does the narrator realize about himself over the course of the novel?
10. Who are Betty and Kay and why does the narrator enjoy their company?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Maria. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Maria?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of the search for love. Identify at least two themes about love in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
The latter part of the novel takes place in the late 1960s as America is experiencing free love, war protests, gay liberation and radical shifts in music. Research this period in America and create a multimedia presentation of the clothes, food, music and people during
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)