|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hunton makes disparaging remarks about the narrator's __________________.
2. What is the nature of the narrator's time with the psychiatrist?
3. What type of music does Maria admit to liking while at a bar?
4. The relationship between Tex and Morris is sometimes _________________.
5. Which place did the narrator often visit across the street from the prep school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is William Everett Hunton, and what negative impact does he have on the lives of Annie and the narrator?
2. What is the significance of Betty and Kay to the narrator's life?
3. What does the narrator realize about himself over the course of the novel?
4. Why does the narrator long to be heterosexual, especially when he sees the irresponsible behavior of his heterosexual fraternity brothers?
5. How do Maria and the narrator feel about each other by the end of Chapter 4, and how do they act on those feelings?
6. What does the narrator learn about Hunton from an older man with the same name?
7. With whom does the narrator engage in heterosexual activity and what was the basis for the connections?
8. How does the narrator's subway ride further alienate him from what he thinks is normal life?
9. How does the narrator categorize his life during his first year at college?
10. What does the narrator think about when he watches Tex and Morris interact?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story takes place as America is experiencing the Hippie Generation, the Vietnam War, Woodstock, and drug usage in the late 1960s. Explain the significance of these political and cultural events on the narrator and the other homosexual people in his life. How would the narrator's life be different if he were living as a young man today? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Substance abuse seems to be an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the abuse? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? How does it affect the abusers? How does it affect those impacted by the abusers? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of the narrator. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about the narrator?
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)