|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tex believes that once a man ______________________________, he becomes uninteresting to other homosexuals.
2. When the narrator takes a walk at night with Maria, he realizes that __________________.
3. What does the person in #38 exploit Tex for?
4. Tex refers to himself as the narrator's __________________.
5. Who is William Everett Hunton?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator meet Tex and Morris?
2. Why is the narrator the embodiment of sacrificing oneself for the sake of social acceptance?
3. Describe the narrator's first year experiences at college.
4. How is Buddhism connected to the narrator's seemingly paradoxical desires for sex with men and also freedom from that desire.
5. What is the double-edged sword of the narrator experiencing gay sexual activity?
6. How does the narrator compare his life to the life of the Chinese woman he meets?
7. How does the narrator's coming of age as a gay man mirror the coming of age of an entire gay community?
8. What does the narrator learn about Hunton from an older man with the same name?
9. What is Tex's theory about a man acting on his sexual desires for other men and how does that make the narrator feel about Tex?
10. What are some of the narrator's fundamental beliefs about sexuality?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
White is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, and then briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of struggling with personal identity is an important one in this novel. Describe how it extends through setting, character and issues and provide examples for each.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the narrator's name not being identified? Why does the author leave the narrator nameless with the exception of Lou who calls the narrator "Bunny"? Explain.
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)