|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the nature of the narrator's time with the psychiatrist?
2. Where does the narrator meet Maria during the Summer after they got to know each other?
3. Who treats Annie in the hospital emergency room?
4. Kay introduces the narrator to a Chinese woman described as a _________________.
5. What is notable about Morris?
Short Essay Questions
1. With whom does the narrator engage in heterosexual activity and what was the basis for the connections?
2. How do Maria and the narrator feel about each other by the end of Chapter 4, and how do they act on those feelings?
3. What is Tex's theory about a man acting on his sexual desires for other men and how does that make the narrator feel about Tex?
4. What does Maria reveal to the narrator when he visits during Christmas vacation in Chapter 4?
5. How does the longing for approval manifest in the narrator's life?
6. What role does Dr. O'Reilly serve in the narrator's life?
7. How does the narrator categorize his life during his first year at college?
8. With whom does the narrator have his first gay sexual experience and how does he feel about it afterward?
9. What are some of the themes addressed in "The Beautiful Room is Empty"?
10. What does the narrator realize about himself over the course of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Sean. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Sean?
Essay Topic 2
The role of parental influence is a strong one--mostly negative--on the narrator. Why was the narrator's sexual preference particularly hard on his father? What solution did the narrator's mother have for her son's "problem"? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)