|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is the narrator during this Summer?
2. Instead of going to grad school, where does the narrator go?
(b) New York City.
(c) Los Angeles.
3. What habit does the narrator have that makes Maria angry?
(a) Doesn't repay loans.
(b) Chews with his mouth open.
(c) Psychoanalyzes his friends.
(d) Talks in the movie theater.
4. The narrator's sister's homosexuality suggests __________________________.
(a) sibling rivalry.
(b) a genetic component to homosexuality.
(c) a rebellious nature.
(d) childhood abuse.
5. Who is the woman with whom Lou has a relationship during this time?
Short Answer Questions
1. Sean contacts the narrator to tell him that he had to leave their relationship because the narrator was ______________.
2. What is the narrator's last ditch attempt at appearing "normal"?
3. After Lou is engaged, he calls the narrator to tell him that ________________________.
4. What do the narrator's parents consider a normal life for their son?
5. The narrator's relationship with Sean develops during the time that both John F. Kennedy and ______________ died.
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the narrator's parents portrayed in the book and what do they want most for their son?
2. What is the narrator's life like after he moves to New York?
3. Who is Sean and how did the narrator meet him?
4. What do the narrator's parents--and society in general--consider to be a "normal" lifestyle for their son?
5. How can the raid on the Stonewall Inn be both a beginning and an ending of a gay rights movement?
6. Why is Lou desperate to get married and how does the narrator help him?
7. What is the significance of the author's using the present tense for scene in which the narrator engages in group sex in the subway restroom?
8. How does the narrator feel about Lou's criticism of the narrator's work?
9. How does shame get pushed aside in the events leading up to, and after, the Stonewall Inn raids?
10. What does the narrator experience for the first time after a sexual encounter in a subway restroom that he has never experienced before?
This section contains 1,134 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)