|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the narrator "cruise" for men on campus?
(a) Coffee shops.
(b) Men's restrooms.
(c) Student Union.
(d) The library.
2. "The Beautiful Room is Empty" takes place during the 1950s and 1960s in which country?
3. Which of the following does NOT describe the art students?
4. What type of career does the narrator hope to establish?
5. Which place did the narrator often visit across the street from the prep school?
(a) City park.
(b) Video arcade.
(d) Art Academy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had introduced the narrator to Hunton?
2. The narrator hints at his slowly emerging ____________________.
3. Who is the psychiatrist treating the narrator?
4. What is the narrator's current obsession?
5. The partner of the person in #38 exploits Tex's need for ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Buddhism connected to the narrator's seemingly paradoxical desires for sex with men and also freedom from that desire.
2. What is the double-edged sword of the narrator experiencing gay sexual activity?
3. From what written piece is the name of the book taken, and what does it mean?
4. What does the narrator want from his life and when does he become aware of these needs?
5. What does Maria reveal to the narrator when he visits during Christmas vacation in Chapter 4?
6. With whom does the narrator have his first gay sexual experience and how does he feel about it afterward?
7. What is the premise of "The Beautiful Room is Empty"?
8. Why did the narrator decide to study Chinese?
9. Why does the narrator long to be heterosexual, especially when he sees the irresponsible behavior of his heterosexual fraternity brothers?
10. How did the struggle for acceptance and freedom for lesbians differ from that of gay men?
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)