|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator's relationship with Sean develops during the time that both John F. Kennedy and ______________ died.
(a) Ava Gardner.
(b) Marilyn Monroe.
(c) Mickey Mantle.
(d) Jack Benny.
2. What do the narrator's parents consider a normal life for their son?
(a) Being a doctor.
(b) Being an artist.
(c) Being whoever he wants to be.
(d) Being heterosexual.
3. What does the narrator's mother give him before she goes?
(a) Credit card.
(b) Keys to apartment.
(c) Country club account number.
(d) Keys to car.
4. Who is Lou?
(a) The building's superintendent.
(b) A wealthy advertising executive.
(c) An ice cream vendor.
(d) A chauffeur.
5. What had the narrator intended to study in the graduate program?
6. What does Sean call a group of men he accidentally encountered having sex in a public bathroom?
7. What does the narrator come to realize by living in this new city?
(a) He misses his home.
(b) There are many homosexual men.
(c) He still does not fit in.
(d) He wants to marry Maria.
8. The narrator can see his past behavior as a manifestation of ______________ rather than identity.
9. Where does the narrator spend his free time during this Summer?
(a) The library.
(b) A coffee shop.
(c) The beach.
(d) A theme park.
10. The narrator comments on Maria's growing __________________.
(b) bank account.
(d) waist line.
11. The narrator has been accepted into a graduate program at what university?
12. Which of the following does NOT describe the narrator's sexual identity?
(a) It is less of a burden.
(b) It is agonizing.
(c) It is less shame-defined.
(d) It is less of a dark secret.
13. How does the narrator feel about the criticism of the person in #102?
14. What does the narrator suggest that he and Sean do together?
(a) Move to Chicago.
(b) Vacation in Provence.
(c) Buy a condo.
(d) Go to therapy.
15. What will be the barrier to any relationship between Lou and the narrator?
(a) The narrator is too old.
(b) The narrator's self hatred.
(c) Lou is married.
(d) Lou is moving to Los Angeles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Maria threaten to end her friendship with the narrator?
2. Where does the narrator's mother go in Chapter 5?
3. Where has Maria been living during her time away from the narrator?
4. To what city does Maria move?
5. Why does the roommate move out of the narrator's apartment?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)