|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lou feel about the idea of heterosexual married life?
(a) He'll soldier through it.
(b) He is scared of it.
(c) He hates it.
(d) He is anxious to begin it.
2. What makes Maria threaten to end her friendship with the narrator?
(a) If he won't find a better job.
(b) If he won't break up with Sean.
(c) If he doesn't stop drinking.
(d) If he doesn't stop analyzing everyone.
3. The narrator can see his past behavior as a manifestation of ______________ rather than identity.
4. What does the narrator come to realize by living in this new city?
(a) He misses his home.
(b) He still does not fit in.
(c) He wants to marry Maria.
(d) There are many homosexual men.
5. Where does the narrator's mother go in Chapter 5?
(b) New York.
6. What kind of job does the narrator get in Chapter 5?
(a) Loading transport trucks.
(b) Messenger boy.
(c) Waiting tables.
(d) Museum guide.
7. Why does Lou tell the narrator that Lou wants to get married?
(a) To get promoted at work.
(b) To see what "normal" feels like.
(c) To cure himself of homosexuality.
(d) To be accepted by his family.
8. What habit does the narrator have that makes Maria angry?
(a) Doesn't repay loans.
(b) Chews with his mouth open.
(c) Psychoanalyzes his friends.
(d) Talks in the movie theater.
9. How much weight does the narrator lose?
(a) 25 pounds.
(b) 100 pounds.
(c) 10 pounds.
(d) 40 pounds.
10. The narrator begins to understand that ___________________.
(a) his mother does not love him.
(b) he will always be a freak.
(c) he is not alone.
(d) his father admires him.
11. The narrator has lived for a year _____________________.
(a) as a fat man.
(b) as an intern.
(c) as a kept man.
(d) as a happy man.
12. Who does the narrator consider marrying?
13. Who is the temperamental roommate who the narrator has for awhile?
(a) A Russian dancer.
(b) A music composer.
(c) A painter.
(d) An opera singer.
14. The narrator is angry when the magazine he works for publishes an article denouncing ______________________.
(a) women's lib.
(b) the emerging gay rights movement.
(c) the hippie movement.
(d) the war in Vietnam.
15. The narrator has to take Lou to a backroom physician to treat _______________________.
(a) an intestinal blockage.
(c) a knife wound.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Lou is engaged, he calls the narrator to tell him that ________________________.
2. The narrator's sister's homosexuality suggests __________________________.
3. What does the apartment building's doorman tell the narrator's mother when she returns?
4. How does the narrator describe the hair of the girl on the subway?
5. Where does Sean eventually go?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)