|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Darwin pick up the second volume of Principles of Geology?
2. Approximately how many species of birds are there in the world?
3. What type of bird is the Crossbill?
4. What is different from farm to farm in the Mississippi Delta?
5. Where did Darwin find the finch Magnirostris magnirostris?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the humor that the Grants find in the painting Science Is Measurement.
2. Explain the Drosophila experiment and its significance.
3. Describe the act of "speciation" in the haw flies.
4. Choose one example from the text regarding how humans affect other species, and explain it.
5. Describe the place in which the Grants keep finch blood samples.
6. What did Lewontin and Birch discover about the Dacus tryoni?
7. Explain how bacteria build up resistance to antibiotics.
8. Describe what Martin Taylor does with the moth samples he receives.
9. Why do plants hybridize rather readily?
10. What effect do the finches have on cactus flowers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the difference between the fossil record and real-time observations as concerns tracing the path of evolution.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Weiner's use of description in the scene of the freezer that contains the finches' blood samples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the watch and the watchmaker in Darwin's mental development and in the development of evolutionary thought.
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)