|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Crossbills eat?
2. How many mating songs does each species of finch have?
3. Approximately how many species of birds are there in the world?
4. In chapter 16, Weiner compares evolutionists to characters in which classic story?
5. For what university did the drosophilists discussed in Chapter 12 work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Choose one example from the text regarding how humans affect other species, and explain it.
2. Explain how ocean currents affect the Galapagos Islands.
3. Why do plants hybridize rather readily?
4. Describe how Biston betularia changed color and why it is changing back.
5. What did Lewontin and Birch discover about the Dacus tryoni?
6. What effect do the finches have on cactus flowers?
7. Explain the Drosophila experiment and its significance.
8. Describe the place in which the Grants keep finch blood samples.
9. What significance did Hermon Carey Bumpus discover in the sparrows' deaths? What significance did Peter Grant see?
10. Summarize Weiner's hypothesis on the physical aspect of human consciousness.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of evolutionary science in the development of antibiotics.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the experiment with the Crossbill finches has affected the study of evolution.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of the importance of tiny measurements, including examples from the text in your explication.
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)