|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of bird is the Crossbill?
2. Approximately how many species of birds are there in the world?
3. Which plant has dominated Daphne Major since the flood?
4. Who appears in Chapter 15 separating DNA in plastic bags?
5. According to Ernst Mayr, what animal has "specialized in despecialization"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the place in which the Grants keep finch blood samples.
2. Why do plants hybridize rather readily?
3. Describe Dolph Schluter's experiment in British Columbia.
4. What significance did Hermon Carey Bumpus discover in the sparrows' deaths? What significance did Peter Grant see?
5. What is the significance of the finch's songs? Explain in detail.
6. What effect do the finches have on cactus flowers?
7. Summarize Weiner's hypothesis on the physical aspect of human consciousness.
8. Explain the humor that the Grants find in the painting Science Is Measurement.
9. Summarize Gayle Davies' experience with the finches.
10. Explain how bacteria build up resistance to antibiotics.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Darwin's personality and contributions to science.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the personality and work of Rosemary Grant, and compare and contrast her with another person in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the experiment with the Crossbill finches has affected the study of evolution.
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)