|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who draws a chart at the end of Chapter 14?
2. What is the name of the Charles Darwin Research Station's journal?
3. What part of the human is comparable to the finch's beak, according to Weiner?
4. How many times has the environment changed as rapidly as in the 20th century?
5. What is "one of the greatest remaining mysteries in biology," according to Weiner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the humor that the Grants find in the painting Science Is Measurement.
2. Answer Weiner's question, "Why are there so many kinds of animals?"
3. What is the significance of the finch's songs? Explain in detail.
4. Explain the Drosophila experiment and its significance.
5. What is the significance of Darwin's spelling errors for modern science?
6. Summarize Gayle Davies' experience with the finches.
7. Why do plants hybridize rather readily?
8. Describe the act of "speciation" in the haw flies.
9. Describe the place in which the Grants keep finch blood samples.
10. Summarize Weiner's hypothesis on the physical aspect of human consciousness.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of Darwin's Sandwalk as a symbol in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Explicate and defend Weiner's use of epigraphs in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Weiner's use of conceit (extended metaphor) and its significance in the book.
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)