|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Latin word "reticulum" mean?
2. How many times has the environment changed as rapidly as in the 20th century?
3. On which island do humans not normally live?
4. For what university did the drosophilists discussed in Chapter 12 work?
5. Where did Darwin find the finch Magnirostris magnirostris?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do plants hybridize rather readily?
2. Explain the humor that the Grants find in the painting Science Is Measurement.
3. Describe the act of "speciation" in the haw flies.
4. Explain the Drosophila experiment and its significance.
5. What effect do the finches have on cactus flowers?
6. What is the significance of the finch's songs? Explain in detail.
7. What did Lewontin and Birch discover about the Dacus tryoni?
8. Describe how Biston betularia changed color and why it is changing back.
9. What is the significance of Darwin's spelling errors for modern science?
10. Describe what Martin Taylor does with the moth samples he receives.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the watch and the watchmaker in Darwin's mental development and in the development of evolutionary thought.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Weiner's use of description in the scene of the freezer that contains the finches' blood samples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of the importance of tiny measurements, including examples from the text in your explication.
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)