|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does an old woman in Puerto Ayora eat to avenge herself against the finches?
2. Who has catalogued Darwin's spelling mistakes?
3. For what university did the drosophilists discussed in Chapter 12 work?
4. How long did it take flies to develop resistance to the "resistance-proof" pesticides introduced in 1967?
5. In chapter 16, Weiner compares evolutionists to characters in which classic story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dolph Schluter's experiment in British Columbia.
2. Choose one example from the text regarding how humans affect other species, and explain it.
3. Describe how Biston betularia changed color and why it is changing back.
4. Explain the Drosophila experiment and its significance.
5. Explain the humor that the Grants find in the painting Science Is Measurement.
6. Answer Weiner's question, "Why are there so many kinds of animals?"
7. Describe the two shorelines that Weiner discusses in Chapter 11.
8. What is the significance of the finch's songs? Explain in detail.
9. Summarize Weiner's hypothesis on the physical aspect of human consciousness.
10. Describe what Martin Taylor does with the moth samples he receives.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the Grants' tools on Daphne Major and at Princeton.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the watch and the watchmaker in Darwin's mental development and in the development of evolutionary thought.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of journey as it is presented throughout the book, culminating with its appearance in the epilogue.
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)