|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of computer does Rosemary use?
2. How many mating songs does each species of finch have?
3. Whom did Darwin commission to breed unusual combinations of pigeons?
4. Where is Anvers Island?
5. What is different from farm to farm in the Mississippi Delta?
Short Essay Questions
1. Answer Weiner's question, "Why are there so many kinds of animals?"
2. Explain the humor that the Grants find in the painting Science Is Measurement.
3. What is the significance of the finch's songs? Explain in detail.
4. Describe Dolph Schluter's experiment in British Columbia.
5. Describe the act of "speciation" in the haw flies.
6. What is the significance of Darwin's spelling errors for modern science?
7. Describe how Biston betularia changed color and why it is changing back.
8. Summarize Gayle Davies' experience with the finches.
9. Describe what Martin Taylor does with the moth samples he receives.
10. What did Lewontin and Birch discover about the Dacus tryoni?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the watch and the watchmaker in Darwin's mental development and in the development of evolutionary thought.
Essay Topic 2
Answer the question, "Why are there so many kinds of animals?" Cite specific details and concepts that are found in the text.
Essay Topic 3
Defend or confront the presence of anthropomorphism in the book. Is it appropriate in a scientific work? Why or why not?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)