|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did Darwin commission to breed unusual combinations of pigeons?
2. How many people carry the bacteria that causes tuberculosis?
3. Who is studying the Sticklebacks?
4. How many species of Cichlid live in Lake Victoria?
5. Approximately how many species of birds are there in the world?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the Drosophila experiment and its significance.
2. Explain the humor that the Grants find in the painting Science Is Measurement.
3. What effect do the finches have on cactus flowers?
4. Explain how ocean currents affect the Galapagos Islands.
5. Summarize Weiner's hypothesis on the physical aspect of human consciousness.
6. Explain how bacteria build up resistance to antibiotics.
7. What is the significance of the finch's songs? Explain in detail.
8. Why do plants hybridize rather readily?
9. What significance did Hermon Carey Bumpus discover in the sparrows' deaths? What significance did Peter Grant see?
10. Answer Weiner's question, "Why are there so many kinds of animals?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the watch and the watchmaker in Darwin's mental development and in the development of evolutionary thought.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Weiner's use of metaphor in explicating the information he presents, citing the finches' resemblance to Sisyphus as an example.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the difference between the fossil record and real-time observations as concerns tracing the path of evolution.
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)