|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which plant has dominated Daphne Major since the flood?
2. Where did Darwin find the finch Magnirostris magnirostris?
3. How many species of finch are there in Hawaii?
4. According to Ernst Mayr, what animal has "specialized in despecialization"?
5. What type of bird is the Crossbill?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how bacteria build up resistance to antibiotics.
2. Describe the place in which the Grants keep finch blood samples.
3. What effect do the finches have on cactus flowers?
4. Explain how ocean currents affect the Galapagos Islands.
5. Summarize Gayle Davies' experience with the finches.
6. Answer Weiner's question, "Why are there so many kinds of animals?"
7. Describe the two shorelines that Weiner discusses in Chapter 11.
8. Explain the humor that the Grants find in the painting Science Is Measurement.
9. Choose one example from the text regarding how humans affect other species, and explain it.
10. Describe what Martin Taylor does with the moth samples he receives.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of the importance of tiny measurements, including examples from the text in your explication.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the experiment with the Crossbill finches has affected the study of evolution.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of Darwin's Sandwalk as a symbol in the book.
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)