|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Grants keep in the freezer in the "sub-subbasement'?
2. As mentioned in Chapter 16, Darwin states that which bird landed on his water pitcher?
3. Where did Darwin pick up the second volume of Principles of Geology?
4. Which Babylonian king "saw the writing on the wall"?
5. Who wrote the book The Blind Watchmaker?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the act of "speciation" in the haw flies.
2. Describe the place in which the Grants keep finch blood samples.
3. What did Lewontin and Birch discover about the Dacus tryoni?
4. What is the significance of the finch's songs? Explain in detail.
5. Explain how bacteria build up resistance to antibiotics.
6. What effect do the finches have on cactus flowers?
7. Describe what Martin Taylor does with the moth samples he receives.
8. Summarize Gayle Davies' experience with the finches.
9. Describe Dolph Schluter's experiment in British Columbia.
10. Summarize Weiner's hypothesis on the physical aspect of human consciousness.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the watch and the watchmaker in Darwin's mental development and in the development of evolutionary thought.
Essay Topic 2
Defend or confront the presence of anthropomorphism in the book. Is it appropriate in a scientific work? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Weiner's use of metaphor in explicating the information he presents, citing the finches' resemblance to Sisyphus as an example.
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)