|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 17 showcases the evolution of which mammal?
2. What type of bird is the Crossbill?
3. What is the painting called that Henry Stacy Marks created?
4. How many E. coli bacteria can grow from one bacterium within eight hours?
5. Who draws a chart at the end of Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Lewontin and Birch discover about the Dacus tryoni?
2. Answer Weiner's question, "Why are there so many kinds of animals?"
3. Explain how ocean currents affect the Galapagos Islands.
4. Describe the place in which the Grants keep finch blood samples.
5. Why do plants hybridize rather readily?
6. Summarize Weiner's hypothesis on the physical aspect of human consciousness.
7. Describe the act of "speciation" in the haw flies.
8. Summarize Gayle Davies' experience with the finches.
9. What is the significance of the finch's songs? Explain in detail.
10. Explain the Drosophila experiment and its significance.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Darwin's "eureka" and its implications for later scientific thought.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of journey as it is presented throughout the book, culminating with its appearance in the epilogue.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the watch and the watchmaker in Darwin's mental development and in the development of evolutionary thought.
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)