|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many E. coli bacteria can grow from one bacterium within eight hours?
2. What is the name of the librarian of the Charles Darwin Research Station?
3. What does an old woman in Puerto Ayora eat to avenge herself against the finches?
4. Approximately how many species of birds are there in the world?
5. Where did Darwin pick up the second volume of Principles of Geology?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the act of "speciation" in the haw flies.
2. What effect do the finches have on cactus flowers?
3. What significance did Hermon Carey Bumpus discover in the sparrows' deaths? What significance did Peter Grant see?
4. Summarize Weiner's hypothesis on the physical aspect of human consciousness.
5. Describe how Biston betularia changed color and why it is changing back.
6. Explain the humor that the Grants find in the painting Science Is Measurement.
7. Summarize Gayle Davies' experience with the finches.
8. Answer Weiner's question, "Why are there so many kinds of animals?"
9. What is the significance of the finch's songs? Explain in detail.
10. Explain the Drosophila experiment and its significance.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the personality and work of Rosemary Grant, and compare and contrast her with another person in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of Darwin's Sandwalk as a symbol in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Describe two settings that you find within the book, and compare and contrast them.
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)