|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of bird is the Crossbill?
2. What animal does the Hawaiian Drosophila Project study?
3. In what month do cacti on Daphne Major start to bloom?
4. What book is quoted at the beginning of Chapter 15?
5. What is different from farm to farm in the Mississippi Delta?
Short Essay Questions
1. Answer Weiner's question, "Why are there so many kinds of animals?"
2. What did Lewontin and Birch discover about the Dacus tryoni?
3. Explain the humor that the Grants find in the painting Science Is Measurement.
4. Summarize Weiner's hypothesis on the physical aspect of human consciousness.
5. What effect do the finches have on cactus flowers?
6. Describe the place in which the Grants keep finch blood samples.
7. Describe Dolph Schluter's experiment in British Columbia.
8. Summarize Gayle Davies' experience with the finches.
9. What significance did Hermon Carey Bumpus discover in the sparrows' deaths? What significance did Peter Grant see?
10. Describe the act of "speciation" in the haw flies.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explicate and defend Weiner's use of epigraphs in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the watch and the watchmaker in Darwin's mental development and in the development of evolutionary thought.
Essay Topic 3
Defend or confront the presence of anthropomorphism in the book. Is it appropriate in a scientific work? Why or why not?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)