|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much rain fell in the driest year on Daphne Major?
2. What book is quoted at the beginning of Chapter 15?
3. Who has catalogued Darwin's spelling mistakes?
4. What color was the moth Biston betularia in the early 1800s?
5. In what month do cacti on Daphne Major start to bloom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the two shorelines that Weiner discusses in Chapter 11.
2. Explain the Drosophila experiment and its significance.
3. Explain how bacteria build up resistance to antibiotics.
4. Choose one example from the text regarding how humans affect other species, and explain it.
5. Summarize Gayle Davies' experience with the finches.
6. Describe the act of "speciation" in the haw flies.
7. What effect do the finches have on cactus flowers?
8. Why do plants hybridize rather readily?
9. Explain the humor that the Grants find in the painting Science Is Measurement.
10. What significance did Hermon Carey Bumpus discover in the sparrows' deaths? What significance did Peter Grant see?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of human consciousness in current evolutionary studies.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of Darwin's Sandwalk as a symbol in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the experiment with the Crossbill finches has affected the study of evolution.
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)