|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote the article on global warming that is discussed in Chapter 18?
2. How long did it take flies to develop resistance to the "resistance-proof" pesticides introduced in 1967?
3. As witnessed by Hermon Carey Bumpus, which birds died en masse after a blizzard?
4. What type of bird is the Crossbill?
5. What do Crossbills eat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how ocean currents affect the Galapagos Islands.
2. Explain the Drosophila experiment and its significance.
3. What is the significance of the finch's songs? Explain in detail.
4. Explain the humor that the Grants find in the painting Science Is Measurement.
5. What significance did Hermon Carey Bumpus discover in the sparrows' deaths? What significance did Peter Grant see?
6. Describe the place in which the Grants keep finch blood samples.
7. Describe the two shorelines that Weiner discusses in Chapter 11.
8. Describe how Biston betularia changed color and why it is changing back.
9. Summarize Weiner's hypothesis on the physical aspect of human consciousness.
10. Why do plants hybridize rather readily?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Darwin's personality and contributions to science.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the Grants' tools on Daphne Major and at Princeton.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of evolutionary science in the development of antibiotics.
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)