|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who draws a chart at the end of Chapter 14?
2. What color was the moth Biston betularia in the early 1800s?
3. What type of computer does Rosemary use?
4. How much rain fell in the driest year on Daphne Major?
5. What is "one of the greatest remaining mysteries in biology," according to Weiner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the act of "speciation" in the haw flies.
2. Describe how Biston betularia changed color and why it is changing back.
3. Explain the Drosophila experiment and its significance.
4. What is the significance of the finch's songs? Explain in detail.
5. What effect do the finches have on cactus flowers?
6. Answer Weiner's question, "Why are there so many kinds of animals?"
7. Describe Dolph Schluter's experiment in British Columbia.
8. What is the significance of Darwin's spelling errors for modern science?
9. Describe the two shorelines that Weiner discusses in Chapter 11.
10. Choose one example from the text regarding how humans affect other species, and explain it.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of the importance of tiny measurements, including examples from the text in your explication.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the watch and the watchmaker in Darwin's mental development and in the development of evolutionary thought.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the personality and work of Rosemary Grant, and compare and contrast her with another person in the book.
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)