|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote the book The Blind Watchmaker?
2. Approximately how many species of birds are there in the world?
3. In what state did Benjamin Walsh build his homestead?
4. For what university did the drosophilists discussed in Chapter 12 work?
5. Which scientist is mentioned in Chapter 14 as strongly advocating the need for measurement in science?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how ocean currents affect the Galapagos Islands.
2. Describe the place in which the Grants keep finch blood samples.
3. Describe the act of "speciation" in the haw flies.
4. Explain the humor that the Grants find in the painting Science Is Measurement.
5. Describe what Martin Taylor does with the moth samples he receives.
6. What is the significance of Darwin's spelling errors for modern science?
7. What significance did Hermon Carey Bumpus discover in the sparrows' deaths? What significance did Peter Grant see?
8. What did Lewontin and Birch discover about the Dacus tryoni?
9. Describe how Biston betularia changed color and why it is changing back.
10. Describe Dolph Schluter's experiment in British Columbia.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the watch and the watchmaker in Darwin's mental development and in the development of evolutionary thought.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Weiner's use of description in the scene of the freezer that contains the finches' blood samples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of human consciousness in current evolutionary studies.
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)