|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which plant has dominated Daphne Major since the flood?
2. Who has catalogued Darwin's spelling mistakes?
3. Who is studying the Sticklebacks?
4. How many mating songs does each species of finch have?
5. What is the name of the mutant gene that helps flies resist DDT?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the two shorelines that Weiner discusses in Chapter 11.
2. What effect do the finches have on cactus flowers?
3. Summarize Gayle Davies' experience with the finches.
4. What significance did Hermon Carey Bumpus discover in the sparrows' deaths? What significance did Peter Grant see?
5. Describe the place in which the Grants keep finch blood samples.
6. What is the significance of Darwin's spelling errors for modern science?
7. Explain the Drosophila experiment and its significance.
8. What is the significance of the finch's songs? Explain in detail.
9. Describe Dolph Schluter's experiment in British Columbia.
10. Answer Weiner's question, "Why are there so many kinds of animals?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe two settings that you find within the book, and compare and contrast them.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the difference between the fossil record and real-time observations as concerns tracing the path of evolution.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of journey as it is presented throughout the book, culminating with its appearance in the epilogue.
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)