|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Darwin find the finch Magnirostris magnirostris?
2. What does the Latin word "specere" mean?
3. As mentioned in Chapter 16, Darwin states that which bird landed on his water pitcher?
4. What plant did the botanist Edgar Anderson study in the Ozarks?
5. As witnessed by Hermon Carey Bumpus, which birds died en masse after a blizzard?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the two shorelines that Weiner discusses in Chapter 11.
2. Why do plants hybridize rather readily?
3. What effect do the finches have on cactus flowers?
4. What significance did Hermon Carey Bumpus discover in the sparrows' deaths? What significance did Peter Grant see?
5. Answer Weiner's question, "Why are there so many kinds of animals?"
6. Explain the humor that the Grants find in the painting Science Is Measurement.
7. What is the significance of the finch's songs? Explain in detail.
8. Choose one example from the text regarding how humans affect other species, and explain it.
9. Explain how bacteria build up resistance to antibiotics.
10. Describe Dolph Schluter's experiment in British Columbia.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Weiner's use of conceit (extended metaphor) and its significance in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of evolutionary science in the development of antibiotics.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the watch and the watchmaker in Darwin's mental development and in the development of evolutionary thought.
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)