|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Ernst Mayr, what animal has "specialized in despecialization"?
2. How many E. coli bacteria can grow from one bacterium within eight hours?
3. What color was the moth Biston betularia in the early 1800s?
4. What is "one of the greatest remaining mysteries in biology," according to Weiner?
5. How many mating songs does each species of finch have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Answer Weiner's question, "Why are there so many kinds of animals?"
2. Summarize Weiner's hypothesis on the physical aspect of human consciousness.
3. Describe the place in which the Grants keep finch blood samples.
4. What effect do the finches have on cactus flowers?
5. Explain how bacteria build up resistance to antibiotics.
6. Explain the Drosophila experiment and its significance.
7. What is the significance of Darwin's spelling errors for modern science?
8. Describe the act of "speciation" in the haw flies.
9. Explain how ocean currents affect the Galapagos Islands.
10. Describe how Biston betularia changed color and why it is changing back.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast two episodes of anthropomorphism in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Darwin's personality and contributions to science.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of the importance of tiny measurements, including examples from the text in your explication.
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)