|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does an old woman in Puerto Ayora eat to avenge herself against the finches?
2. Where did Darwin pick up the second volume of Principles of Geology?
3. According to Ernst Mayr, what animal has "specialized in despecialization"?
4. In chapter 16, Weiner compares evolutionists to characters in which classic story?
5. What do Crossbills eat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect do the finches have on cactus flowers?
2. Describe the two shorelines that Weiner discusses in Chapter 11.
3. Summarize Weiner's hypothesis on the physical aspect of human consciousness.
4. Summarize Gayle Davies' experience with the finches.
5. Describe how Biston betularia changed color and why it is changing back.
6. Explain how ocean currents affect the Galapagos Islands.
7. What is the significance of the finch's songs? Explain in detail.
8. Describe the place in which the Grants keep finch blood samples.
9. What is the significance of Darwin's spelling errors for modern science?
10. Why do plants hybridize rather readily?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the difference between the fossil record and real-time observations as concerns tracing the path of evolution.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of Darwin's Sandwalk as a symbol in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Darwin's personality and contributions to science.
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)