|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what state did Benjamin Walsh build his homestead?
2. Who is studying the Sticklebacks?
3. What does the Latin word "reticulum" mean?
4. Who draws a chart at the end of Chapter 14?
5. Who appears in Chapter 15 separating DNA in plastic bags?
Short Essay Questions
1. What significance did Hermon Carey Bumpus discover in the sparrows' deaths? What significance did Peter Grant see?
2. Choose one example from the text regarding how humans affect other species, and explain it.
3. Summarize Gayle Davies' experience with the finches.
4. Describe the place in which the Grants keep finch blood samples.
5. What effect do the finches have on cactus flowers?
6. Describe Dolph Schluter's experiment in British Columbia.
7. Describe what Martin Taylor does with the moth samples he receives.
8. Why do plants hybridize rather readily?
9. Describe how Biston betularia changed color and why it is changing back.
10. What is the significance of the finch's songs? Explain in detail.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the difference between the fossil record and real-time observations as concerns tracing the path of evolution.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of Darwin's Sandwalk as a symbol in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Weiner's use of metaphor in explicating the information he presents, citing the finches' resemblance to Sisyphus as an example.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)