|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which biologist thought of Darwin's finches as "not separate species at all, but 'hybrid swarms'"?
2. What is the name of the building where Peter and Rosemary have their offices?
3. In what book does Darwin discuss "sexual selection"?
4. Which year was the dry year that is discussed in Chapter 5?
5. Which book is quoted at the beginning of Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Of what significance is Darwin's Sandwalk to science?
2. Describe a typical workday for the Grants on Daphne Major.
3. Summarize Endler's guppy experiments.
4. Why did the crew of the Beagle want to stop in the Galapagos, and what did they find there?
5. Describe some of the differences between the finch species in the Galapagos.
6. Compare the beaks of Jamie Smith's sparrows with the beaks of the finches.
7. What did Lack discover about the finches, and how was it significant?
8. What difference did Darwin see among the barnacles, and how did he react?
9. Which Fortis finches survived the drought of 1977, and why?
10. Compare and contrast evolution as seen through the fossil record and as observed in real time.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of human consciousness in current evolutionary studies.
Essay Topic 2
Describe two settings that you find within the book, and compare and contrast them.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Weiner's use of metaphor in explicating the information he presents, citing the finches' resemblance to Sisyphus as an example.
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)