|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of bird did Darwin breed back home in England?
2. What book did Darwin call his "Big Book"?
3. How much rain fell on the day the severe drought ended, as mentioned in Chapter 5?
4. How much rain has fallen on the island in the past forty-four months?
5. What is the name of the village on Santa Cruz?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which Fortis finches survived the drought of 1977, and why?
2. Describe the view from the peak of Daphne Major.
3. Describe Darwin's personal life after returning to England.
4. Explain the occurrence of natural selection that Dolph Schluter found in the sparrows.
5. How did Darwin react to the finches while he was in the Galapagos and later while he was in England?
6. How did the finches respond to the rain after the intense drought?
7. What was Darwin's seed experiment that is discussed in Chapter 9, and how did he carry it out?
8. Explain El Niño and how it affects the Galapagos Islands.
9. Discuss the likelihood that two species will hybridize and the probable outcomes of such a hybridization.
10. Explain the significance of the Tribulus seed for Darwin's finches.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Answer the question, "Why are there so many kinds of animals?" Cite specific details and concepts that are found in the text.
Essay Topic 2
Explicate and defend Weiner's use of epigraphs in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Describe two settings that you find within the book, and compare and contrast them.
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)