|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animals did Darwin call "imps of darkness"?
2. Who, when observing Darwin's finches in museums, noticed the many differences in the birds' beaks?
3. How many populations of finches did the Grants study during their first year in the Galapagos?
4. What do the iguanas in the Galapagos eat?
5. How long have the Grants been conducting research on this island?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the finch's songs? Explain in detail.
2. Of what significance is Darwin's Sandwalk to science?
3. Describe what Martin Taylor does with the moth samples he receives.
4. Describe the appearance of Daphne Major after it stopped raining in Chapter 7.
5. Describe some of the differences between the finch species in the Galapagos.
6. What was the "most miserable piece of data" Peter Boag ever gathered? Explain.
7. Summarize Endler's guppy experiments.
8. Why do plants hybridize rather readily?
9. How do the Grants collect blood samples from the finches?
10. How do the Grants explain their work to Creationists?
Essay Topic 1
Describe Weiner's use of conceit (extended metaphor) and its significance in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of evolutionary science in the development of antibiotics.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Darwin's personality and contributions to science.
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)