|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What organization did Tjitte de Vries direct?
2. From what bird do the vampire finches drink blood?
3. What normally causes the finches not to eat Chamaesyce?
4. In what year did the Grants' team first notice the finches' hybrid breeding?
5. How long did Darwin study barnacles?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe a typical workday for the Grants on Daphne Major.
2. Explain Darwin's "eureka" from Chapter 10.
3. What did Lack discover about the finches, and how was it significant?
4. How do the Grants collect blood samples from the finches?
5. Of what significance is Darwin's Sandwalk to science?
6. Compare and contrast evolution as seen through the fossil record and as observed in real time.
7. How did the finches respond to the rain after the intense drought?
8. Describe the scope and methods of Trevor Price's observation of the finches.
9. Explain the significance of black and brown feathers in finch males, as discussed in Chapter 6.
10. Discuss the likelihood that two species will hybridize and the probable outcomes of such a hybridization.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the Grants' tools on Daphne Major and at Princeton.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Weiner's use of metaphor in explicating the information he presents, citing the finches' resemblance to Sisyphus as an example.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of Darwin's Sandwalk as a symbol in the book.
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)