|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Galapagos island is mentioned in the first sentence of Chapter 1?
2. What does Weiner compare to the "flaming sword at the gates of Eden"?
3. Who named one finch species "Geospiza incerta," which, according to Weiner, means "ground finch, I guess"?
4. What animals did Darwin call "imps of darkness"?
5. What organization did Tjitte de Vries direct?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize Endler's guppy experiments.
2. What was the "most miserable piece of data" Peter Boag ever gathered? Explain.
3. What was Darwin's seed experiment that is discussed in Chapter 9, and how did he carry it out?
4. What did Lack discover about the finches, and how was it significant?
5. Describe some of the differences between the finch species in the Galapagos.
6. How do the Grants collect blood samples from the finches?
7. Explain Darwin's "eureka" from Chapter 10.
8. Explain the occurrence of natural selection that Dolph Schluter found in the sparrows.
9. Why did the crew of the Beagle want to stop in the Galapagos, and what did they find there?
10. Explain El Niño and how it affects the Galapagos Islands.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explicate and defend Weiner's use of epigraphs in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Darwin's "eureka" and its implications for later scientific thought.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Weiner's use of conceit (extended metaphor) and its significance in the book.
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)