|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of bird suffered on Genovesa during the rains of 1982-83?
2. What animals did Darwin call "imps of darkness"?
3. As related at the end of Chapter 3, which person sustained an injury from the barnacles on Daphne Major?
4. What was the name of Darwin's grandfather?
5. How old are the oldest finches on the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare the beaks of Jamie Smith's sparrows with the beaks of the finches.
2. Compare and contrast evolution as seen through the fossil record and as observed in real time.
3. Summarize Endler's guppy experiments.
4. What was the "most miserable piece of data" Peter Boag ever gathered? Explain.
5. Describe some of the differences between the finch species in the Galapagos.
6. Describe some of the unusual finch behaviors during the drought.
7. Describe the typical method of arrival on Daphne Major.
8. Describe Darwin's personal life after returning to England.
9. Which Fortis finches survived the drought of 1977, and why?
10. Describe what Peter Boag and Laurene Ratcliffe did on Daphne Major while waiting for rain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Darwin's "eureka" and its implications for later scientific thought.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Weiner's use of description in the scene of the freezer that contains the finches' blood samples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of human consciousness in current evolutionary studies.
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)