|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On which island in the Galapagos archipelago did Darwin land first?
2. In what year did the Grants' team first notice the finches' hybrid breeding?
3. Whose A Short History of Biology "killed Darwin with kindness," according to Weiner?
4. The Grants' research is compared to which novel?
5. Who was the first person who could recognize all the finches on Daphne Major?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Darwin's "eureka" from Chapter 10.
2. How did Darwin react to the finches while he was in the Galapagos and later while he was in England?
3. Compare and contrast the Grants' tools on Daphne Major and their tools at Princeton.
4. Describe a typical workday for the Grants on Daphne Major.
5. Describe the view from the peak of Daphne Major.
6. Describe the appearance of Daphne Major after it stopped raining in Chapter 7.
7. Explain Weiner's assertion that "taxonomists can be classified into splitters and lumpers."
8. Explain the significance of black and brown feathers in finch males, as discussed in Chapter 6.
9. Explain the significance about the year 1983 as described in Chapter 8.
10. Discuss the likelihood that two species will hybridize and the probable outcomes of such a hybridization.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Darwin's "eureka" and its implications for later scientific thought.
Essay Topic 2
Answer the question, "Why are there so many kinds of animals?" Cite specific details and concepts that are found in the text.
Essay Topic 3
Describe two settings that you find within the book, and compare and contrast them.
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)