|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book did Darwin call his "Big Book"?
2. Who named one finch species "Geospiza incerta," which, according to Weiner, means "ground finch, I guess"?
3. Weiner compares the finches' hunt for seeds to which human food?
4. What part of the finch is the tarsus?
5. Weiner compares the Cactus finch to whom in the beginning of Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Lack discover about the finches, and how was it significant?
2. Explain the significance of black and brown feathers in finch males, as discussed in Chapter 6.
3. Summarize the arguments of some of the biologists' early opposition to the theory of evolution.
4. What did Lewontin and Birch discover about the Dacus tryoni?
5. Answer Weiner's question, "Why are there so many kinds of animals?"
6. Describe the scope and methods of Trevor Price's observation of the finches.
7. What significance did Hermon Carey Bumpus discover in the sparrows' deaths? What significance did Peter Grant see?
8. Describe some of the differences between the finch species in the Galapagos.
9. What was the "most miserable piece of data" Peter Boag ever gathered? Explain.
10. Describe how Biston betularia changed color and why it is changing back.
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of the importance of tiny measurements, including examples from the text in your explication.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Weiner's use of description in the scene of the freezer that contains the finches' blood samples.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast two episodes of anthropomorphism in the book.
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)