|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of bird suffered on Genovesa during the rains of 1982-83?
2. What is the name of the animal resulting from the cross between a male horse and a female donkey?
3. Chapter 8 mentions that Peter has to deliver a lecture in which country?
4. How many times did the Croton trees bloom in the rains of 1982-83?
5. Which year was the dry year that is discussed in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe some of the differences between the finch species in the Galapagos.
2. Why did Trevor Price wait so impatiently for rain, and how did he respond when it continued not to come?
3. Explain Weiner's assertion that "taxonomists can be classified into splitters and lumpers."
4. Under what circumstances do finches drink nectar?
5. Describe the two shorelines that Weiner discusses in Chapter 11.
6. What difference did Darwin see among the barnacles, and how did he react?
7. Explain how bacteria build up resistance to antibiotics.
8. Describe the view from the peak of Daphne Major.
9. Describe what Peter Boag and Laurene Ratcliffe did on Daphne Major while waiting for rain.
10. Compare and contrast the Grants' tools on Daphne Major and their tools at Princeton.
Essay Topic 1
Defend or confront the presence of anthropomorphism in the book. Is it appropriate in a scientific work? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the Grants' tools on Daphne Major and at Princeton.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of Darwin's Sandwalk as a symbol in the book.
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)