|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who devised the idea of "adaptive landscapes"?
2. What does the Difficilis on the Pinta eat?
3. On which island in the Galapagos archipelago did Darwin land first?
4. What animals did Darwin call "imps of darkness"?
5. Who has deeply studied the history of studying evolution in the Galapagos Islands?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Grants collect blood samples from the finches?
2. Compare and contrast the Grants' tools on Daphne Major and their tools at Princeton.
3. How do various species get from island to island in the Galapagos? Remember to include examples of both plants and animals.
4. Explain the significance of black and brown feathers in finch males, as discussed in Chapter 6.
5. Describe the Grants' filing system at Princeton.
6. Explain the metaphor of the watch and the watchmaker.
7. How did Darwin react to the finches while he was in the Galapagos and later while he was in England?
8. Describe the view from the peak of Daphne Major.
9. Why did Trevor Price wait so impatiently for rain, and how did he respond when it continued not to come?
10. Describe what Peter Boag and Laurene Ratcliffe did on Daphne Major while waiting for rain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Weiner's use of conceit (extended metaphor) and its significance in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of the importance of tiny measurements, including examples from the text in your explication.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the Grants' tools on Daphne Major and at Princeton.
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)