|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote the book Natural Selection in the Wild?
2. Which famous writer went to Christ's College before Darwin?
3. Of whom does Peter Grant keep newspaper photos on his office door?
4. Who created the concept of the "darwin"?
5. How long did Darwin study barnacles?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the significance about the year 1983 as described in Chapter 8.
2. How did the finches respond to the rain after the intense drought?
3. Describe Darwin's personal life after returning to England.
4. Which Fortis finches survived the drought of 1977, and why?
5. Describe the scope and methods of Trevor Price's observation of the finches.
6. Explain El Niño and how it affects the Galapagos Islands.
7. Describe a typical workday for the Grants on Daphne Major.
8. Explain the occurrence of natural selection that Dolph Schluter found in the sparrows.
9. How did Darwin react to the finches while he was in the Galapagos and later while he was in England?
10. Describe some of the unusual finch behaviors during the drought.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of evolutionary science in the development of antibiotics.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of Darwin's Sandwalk as a symbol in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Weiner's use of conceit (extended metaphor) and its significance in the book.
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)