|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the Grants work in the United States?
2. As Rosemary relates, what sometimes causes a bamboo pole to become unexpectedly heavy as one carries it?
3. What Galapagos island is mentioned in the first sentence of Chapter 1?
4. Which type of fish is discussed at length in Chapter 6?
5. Cactus finches build their nest to protect themselves from which animal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare and contrast the Grants' tools on Daphne Major and their tools at Princeton.
2. Describe some of the differences between the finch species in the Galapagos.
3. Explain the metaphor of the watch and the watchmaker.
4. Describe what Peter Boag and Laurene Ratcliffe did on Daphne Major while waiting for rain.
5. What did Lack discover about the finches, and how was it significant?
6. Explain the occurrence of natural selection that Dolph Schluter found in the sparrows.
7. Which Fortis finches survived the drought of 1977, and why?
8. Describe the scope and methods of Trevor Price's observation of the finches.
9. Explain the significance about the year 1983 as described in Chapter 8.
10. Discuss the likelihood that two species will hybridize and the probable outcomes of such a hybridization.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Weiner's use of conceit (extended metaphor) and its significance in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of journey as it is presented throughout the book, culminating with its appearance in the epilogue.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of human consciousness in current evolutionary studies.
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)