|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old are the oldest finches on the island?
2. What book did Darwin call his "Big Book"?
3. Which animal did the evolutionist David Lack not consider when formulating his ideas, as mentioned in Chapter 4?
4. According to Weiner, the woodpecker's beak is similar to what tool?
5. What plants did the Grants find growing on Nuñez?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the finches respond to the rain after the intense drought?
2. Summarize the arguments of some of the biologists' early opposition to the theory of evolution.
3. Explain the occurrence of natural selection that Dolph Schluter found in the sparrows.
4. Of what significance is Darwin's Sandwalk to science?
5. Discuss the likelihood that two species will hybridize and the probable outcomes of such a hybridization.
6. Explain the significance of black and brown feathers in finch males, as discussed in Chapter 6.
7. Summarize Endler's guppy experiments.
8. Describe the view from the peak of Daphne Major.
9. What difference did Darwin see among the barnacles, and how did he react?
10. Which Fortis finches survived the drought of 1977, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the personality and work of Rosemary Grant, and compare and contrast her with another person in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Darwin's "eureka" and its implications for later scientific thought.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of evolutionary science in the development of antibiotics.
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)