|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 6, Weiner compares evolution to the motion of which object?
2. Of whom does Peter Grant keep newspaper photos on his office door?
3. To which of the researchers' objects are finches always attracted?
4. Who, when observing Darwin's finches in museums, noticed the many differences in the birds' beaks?
5. Where did Rosemary spend her childhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the occurrence of natural selection that Dolph Schluter found in the sparrows.
2. Explain El Niño and how it affects the Galapagos Islands.
3. What difference did Darwin see among the barnacles, and how did he react?
4. How did Darwin react to the finches while he was in the Galapagos and later while he was in England?
5. Explain the metaphor of the watch and the watchmaker.
6. How do the Grants collect blood samples from the finches?
7. What was the "most miserable piece of data" Peter Boag ever gathered? Explain.
8. Why did the crew of the Beagle want to stop in the Galapagos, and what did they find there?
9. How did the finches respond to the rain after the intense drought?
10. Of what significance is Darwin's Sandwalk to science?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Darwin's personality and contributions to science.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the Grants' tools on Daphne Major and at Princeton.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Weiner's use of description in the scene of the freezer that contains the finches' blood samples.
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)