|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which classic work of literature did Darwin take with him on his trip to the Galapagos Islands?
2. In the dry year, how much bigger was the beak of a surviving finch than that of a dead finch?
3. Which type of animal in the Galapagos has one alpha male that mates with many females?
4. How long was the "Thinking Path"?
5. Who gave the lecture "The Demonstrative Evidence of Evolution"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the significance about the year 1983 as described in Chapter 8.
2. How did Darwin react to the finches while he was in the Galapagos and later while he was in England?
3. Describe the view from the peak of Daphne Major.
4. Which Fortis finches survived the drought of 1977, and why?
5. Describe a typical workday for the Grants on Daphne Major.
6. Explain Darwin's "eureka" from Chapter 10.
7. Describe the scope and methods of Trevor Price's observation of the finches.
8. Summarize the arguments of some of the biologists' early opposition to the theory of evolution.
9. Explain El Niño and how it affects the Galapagos Islands.
10. Explain the occurrence of natural selection that Dolph Schluter found in the sparrows.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of evolutionary science in the development of antibiotics.
Essay Topic 2
Answer the question, "Why are there so many kinds of animals?" Cite specific details and concepts that are found in the text.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Darwin's "eureka" and its implications for later scientific thought.
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)