|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the Grants work in the United States?
2. Who devised the idea of "adaptive landscapes"?
3. Which animal did one finch attack during the dry year?
4. What plants did the Grants find growing on Nuñez?
5. What was the name of the boat by which the Grants traveled from island to island, as mentioned in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe a typical workday for the Grants on Daphne Major.
2. Describe the Grants' filing system at Princeton.
3. How do various species get from island to island in the Galapagos? Remember to include examples of both plants and animals.
4. Summarize the arguments of some of the biologists' early opposition to the theory of evolution.
5. Describe some of the differences between the finch species in the Galapagos.
6. Describe the view from the peak of Daphne Major.
7. Explain the significance of the Tribulus seed for Darwin's finches.
8. Explain the significance of black and brown feathers in finch males, as discussed in Chapter 6.
9. What was Darwin's seed experiment that is discussed in Chapter 9, and how did he carry it out?
10. What is significant about the hybrid finches discussed in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the Grants' tools on Daphne Major and at Princeton.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Darwin's personality and contributions to science.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Weiner's use of description in the scene of the freezer that contains the finches' blood samples.
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)