|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did the Grants' team first notice the finches' hybrid breeding?
2. In chapter 6, Weiner compares evolution to the motion of which object?
3. Who argued against the principle of divergence using the phrase "the Ghost of Competition Past"?
4. How many species of Ground finch are there in the Galapagos?
5. Who is "the greatest authority on plants of the Galapagos"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Answer Weiner's question, "Why are there so many kinds of animals?"
2. What did Lack discover about the finches, and how was it significant?
3. Describe some of the unusual finch behaviors during the drought.
4. What effect do the finches have on cactus flowers?
5. Choose one example from the text regarding how humans affect other species, and explain it.
6. Describe a typical workday for the Grants on Daphne Major.
7. Under what circumstances do finches drink nectar?
8. What significance did Hermon Carey Bumpus discover in the sparrows' deaths? What significance did Peter Grant see?
9. What was Darwin's seed experiment that is discussed in Chapter 9, and how did he carry it out?
10. Summarize the arguments of some of the biologists' early opposition to the theory of evolution.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Weiner's use of description in the scene of the freezer that contains the finches' blood samples.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of evolutionary science in the development of antibiotics.
Essay Topic 3
Answer the question, "Why are there so many kinds of animals?" Cite specific details and concepts that are found in the text.
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)