|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to chapter 9, what percentage of the birds on Darwin's property were killed in the cold weather?
2. What is the name of the instrument the Grants use to measure the hardness of the seeds the finches eat?
3. Weiner compares the finches' hunt for seeds to which human food?
4. At what university did Lisle Gibbs study?
5. What normally causes the finches not to eat Chamaesyce?
Short Essay Questions
1. What difference did Darwin see among the barnacles, and how did he react?
2. Compare and contrast the Grants' tools on Daphne Major and their tools at Princeton.
3. Which Fortis finches survived the drought of 1977, and why?
4. Why did the crew of the Beagle want to stop in the Galapagos, and what did they find there?
5. Describe the appearance of Daphne Major after it stopped raining in Chapter 7.
6. Why did Trevor Price wait so impatiently for rain, and how did he respond when it continued not to come?
7. Describe the scope and methods of Trevor Price's observation of the finches.
8. How do the Grants collect blood samples from the finches?
9. Under what circumstances do finches drink nectar?
10. Explain the significance about the year 1983 as described in Chapter 8.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast two episodes of anthropomorphism in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Weiner's use of conceit (extended metaphor) and its significance in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the experiment with the Crossbill finches has affected the study of evolution.
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)