|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Trevor Price's assistant in the Galapagos?
2. What does the Difficilis on the Pinta eat?
3. Which are the "fittest finches on the island," as discussed in Chapter 8?
4. As related at the end of Chapter 3, which person sustained an injury from the barnacles on Daphne Major?
5. How many populations of finches did the Grants study during their first year in the Galapagos?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Darwin's "eureka" from Chapter 10.
2. How do various species get from island to island in the Galapagos? Remember to include examples of both plants and animals.
3. Summarize the arguments of some of the biologists' early opposition to the theory of evolution.
4. How do the Grants collect blood samples from the finches?
5. Discuss the likelihood that two species will hybridize and the probable outcomes of such a hybridization.
6. Describe some of the differences between the finch species in the Galapagos.
7. How did the finches respond to the rain after the intense drought?
8. Explain the occurrence of natural selection that Dolph Schluter found in the sparrows.
9. Describe the Grants' filing system at Princeton.
10. Describe the typical method of arrival on Daphne Major.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Weiner's use of metaphor in explicating the information he presents, citing the finches' resemblance to Sisyphus as an example.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Darwin's "eureka" and its implications for later scientific thought.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Weiner's use of conceit (extended metaphor) and its significance in the book.
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)