|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote the book Natural Selection in the Wild?
2. Which playwright does Weiner quote at the end of Chapter 4?
3. What plants did the Grants find growing on Nuñez?
4. How old are the oldest finches on the island?
5. In Chapter 6, what does Weiner compare to a Petri dish?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Trevor Price wait so impatiently for rain, and how did he respond when it continued not to come?
2. Compare and contrast evolution as seen through the fossil record and as observed in real time.
3. Explain the metaphor of the watch and the watchmaker.
4. Describe the appearance of Daphne Major after it stopped raining in Chapter 7.
5. What was Darwin's seed experiment that is discussed in Chapter 9, and how did he carry it out?
6. Which Fortis finches survived the drought of 1977, and why?
7. Describe the typical method of arrival on Daphne Major.
8. What difference did Darwin see among the barnacles, and how did he react?
9. Summarize the arguments of some of the biologists' early opposition to the theory of evolution.
10. Summarize Endler's guppy experiments.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe two settings that you find within the book, and compare and contrast them.
Essay Topic 2
Explicate and defend Weiner's use of epigraphs in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Defend or confront the presence of anthropomorphism in the book. Is it appropriate in a scientific work? Why or why not?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)