|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times did Number 3425 breed in 1983?
2. Which book is quoted at the beginning of Chapter 10?
3. Which biologist thought of Darwin's finches as "not separate species at all, but 'hybrid swarms'"?
4. As related at the end of Chapter 3, which person sustained an injury from the barnacles on Daphne Major?
5. Approximately how many islands are in the Galapagos Archipelago?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the occurrence of natural selection that Dolph Schluter found in the sparrows.
2. Compare and contrast the Grants' tools on Daphne Major and their tools at Princeton.
3. Explain El Niño and how it affects the Galapagos Islands.
4. Describe Darwin's personal life after returning to England.
5. Describe some of the differences between the finch species in the Galapagos.
6. How do the Grants collect blood samples from the finches?
7. Explain the significance of the Tribulus seed for Darwin's finches.
8. What was Darwin's seed experiment that is discussed in Chapter 9, and how did he carry it out?
9. Which Fortis finches survived the drought of 1977, and why?
10. Explain the metaphor of the watch and the watchmaker.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the difference between the fossil record and real-time observations as concerns tracing the path of evolution.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the experiment with the Crossbill finches has affected the study of evolution.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Weiner's use of metaphor in explicating the information he presents, citing the finches' resemblance to Sisyphus as an example.
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)