|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is quoted in the opening of Chapter 6?
2. What is the name of the village on Santa Cruz?
3. The Grants' research is compared to which novel?
4. With what does Rosemary bait the finch traps?
5. At what university did Lisle Gibbs study?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Grants' filing system at Princeton.
2. What did Lack discover about the finches, and how was it significant?
3. Summarize the arguments of some of the biologists' early opposition to the theory of evolution.
4. Explain Weiner's assertion that "taxonomists can be classified into splitters and lumpers."
5. Describe the view from the peak of Daphne Major.
6. Of what significance is Darwin's Sandwalk to science?
7. Why did Trevor Price wait so impatiently for rain, and how did he respond when it continued not to come?
8. Describe the typical method of arrival on Daphne Major.
9. What was Darwin's seed experiment that is discussed in Chapter 9, and how did he carry it out?
10. Which Fortis finches survived the drought of 1977, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast two episodes of anthropomorphism in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Describe two settings that you find within the book, and compare and contrast them.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the personality and work of Rosemary Grant, and compare and contrast her with another person in the book.
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)