|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which classic work of literature did Darwin take with him on his trip to the Galapagos Islands?
2. Which animal did the evolutionist David Lack not consider when formulating his ideas, as mentioned in Chapter 4?
3. In what year did the Grants first go to the Galapagos?
4. Which type of animal in the Galapagos has one alpha male that mates with many females?
5. What book did Darwin call his "Big Book"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the significance of the Tribulus seed for Darwin's finches.
2. Compare the beaks of Jamie Smith's sparrows with the beaks of the finches.
3. How did the finches respond to the rain after the intense drought?
4. What is significant about the hybrid finches discussed in Chapter 8?
5. Discuss the likelihood that two species will hybridize and the probable outcomes of such a hybridization.
6. Explain the occurrence of natural selection that Dolph Schluter found in the sparrows.
7. Explain the significance of black and brown feathers in finch males, as discussed in Chapter 6.
8. How do the Grants collect blood samples from the finches?
9. Describe some of the unusual finch behaviors during the drought.
10. Of what significance is Darwin's Sandwalk to science?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the personality and work of Rosemary Grant, and compare and contrast her with another person in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Answer the question, "Why are there so many kinds of animals?" Cite specific details and concepts that are found in the text.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of the importance of tiny measurements, including examples from the text in your explication.
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)