|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As described at the end of Chapter 6, for what were Trevor Price and Lisle Gibbs waiting?
2. How old are the oldest finches on the island?
3. Who is "the greatest authority on plants of the Galapagos"?
4. Where did John Endler build his experimental ponds?
5. Where does Jamie Smith study sparrows?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Darwin react to the finches while he was in the Galapagos and later while he was in England?
2. Describe the Grants' filing system at Princeton.
3. Which Fortis finches survived the drought of 1977, and why?
4. Describe Darwin's personal life after returning to England.
5. Describe the typical method of arrival on Daphne Major.
6. Why did the crew of the Beagle want to stop in the Galapagos, and what did they find there?
7. What difference did Darwin see among the barnacles, and how did he react?
8. How do various species get from island to island in the Galapagos? Remember to include examples of both plants and animals.
9. Explain Weiner's assertion that "taxonomists can be classified into splitters and lumpers."
10. Explain the significance of black and brown feathers in finch males, as discussed in Chapter 6.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Darwin's personality and contributions to science.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the personality and work of Rosemary Grant, and compare and contrast her with another person in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Weiner's use of conceit (extended metaphor) and its significance in the book.
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)