|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the boat by which the Grants traveled from island to island, as mentioned in Chapter 8?
2. How many genera of plants did Darwin's friend find in a "small fallow field in Kent"?
3. Chapter 8 mentions that Peter has to deliver a lecture in which country?
4. Which animal did one finch attack during the dry year?
5. Whose appearance is described at the beginning of Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the "most miserable piece of data" Peter Boag ever gathered? Explain.
2. Discuss the likelihood that two species will hybridize and the probable outcomes of such a hybridization.
3. Compare and contrast evolution as seen through the fossil record and as observed in real time.
4. Describe the view from the peak of Daphne Major.
5. Explain the significance about the year 1983 as described in Chapter 8.
6. Of what significance is Darwin's Sandwalk to science?
7. What was Darwin's seed experiment that is discussed in Chapter 9, and how did he carry it out?
8. Describe some of the differences between the finch species in the Galapagos.
9. Describe Darwin's personal life after returning to England.
10. Describe the scope and methods of Trevor Price's observation of the finches.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of journey as it is presented throughout the book, culminating with its appearance in the epilogue.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Darwin's personality and contributions to science.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the watch and the watchmaker in Darwin's mental development and in the development of evolutionary thought.
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)