|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which type of fish is discussed at length in Chapter 6?
2. Who argued against the principle of divergence using the phrase "the Ghost of Competition Past"?
3. To which of the researchers' objects are finches always attracted?
4. How long did Darwin study barnacles?
5. What type of finch is Number 3425?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which Fortis finches survived the drought of 1977, and why?
2. Explain the metaphor of the watch and the watchmaker.
3. Describe Darwin's personal life after returning to England.
4. Describe the scope and methods of Trevor Price's observation of the finches.
5. Describe the view from the peak of Daphne Major.
6. Explain Weiner's assertion that "taxonomists can be classified into splitters and lumpers."
7. Explain the significance about the year 1983 as described in Chapter 8.
8. What did Lack discover about the finches, and how was it significant?
9. Summarize the arguments of some of the biologists' early opposition to the theory of evolution.
10. Explain Darwin's "eureka" from Chapter 10.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the watch and the watchmaker in Darwin's mental development and in the development of evolutionary thought.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of human consciousness in current evolutionary studies.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the Grants' tools on Daphne Major and at Princeton.
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)