|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times did Number 3425 breed in 1983?
2. With what does Rosemary bait the finch traps?
3. In what year did the Grants' team first notice the finches' hybrid breeding?
4. Approximately how many islands are in the Galapagos Archipelago?
5. How many species of finch live in the Galapagos Islands?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Peter Boag and Laurene Ratcliffe did on Daphne Major while waiting for rain.
2. What is significant about the hybrid finches discussed in Chapter 8?
3. Explain El Niño and how it affects the Galapagos Islands.
4. Explain Weiner's assertion that "taxonomists can be classified into splitters and lumpers."
5. Of what significance is Darwin's Sandwalk to science?
6. Compare and contrast evolution as seen through the fossil record and as observed in real time.
7. Describe the scope and methods of Trevor Price's observation of the finches.
8. What did Lack discover about the finches, and how was it significant?
9. Summarize Endler's guppy experiments.
10. What was Darwin's seed experiment that is discussed in Chapter 9, and how did he carry it out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the personality and work of Rosemary Grant, and compare and contrast her with another person in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Darwin's personality and contributions to science.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Weiner's use of metaphor in explicating the information he presents, citing the finches' resemblance to Sisyphus as an example.
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)