|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many sparrows survived the first population crash that Jamie Smith studied?
2. What plants did the Grants find growing on Nuñez?
3. What does the Difficilis on the Pinta eat?
4. What animals did Darwin call "imps of darkness"?
5. In what year was the Charles Darwin Research Station founded?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize Gayle Davies' experience with the finches.
2. What difference did Darwin see among the barnacles, and how did he react?
3. Describe how Biston betularia changed color and why it is changing back.
4. Describe the appearance of Daphne Major after it stopped raining in Chapter 7.
5. Explain the significance of the Tribulus seed for Darwin's finches.
6. Explain the occurrence of natural selection that Dolph Schluter found in the sparrows.
7. How do various species get from island to island in the Galapagos? Remember to include examples of both plants and animals.
8. Describe the "soups" Weiner mentions in the epilogue.
9. Describe the view from the peak of Daphne Major.
10. Why did Trevor Price wait so impatiently for rain, and how did he respond when it continued not to come?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Answer the question, "Why are there so many kinds of animals?" Cite specific details and concepts that are found in the text.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of the importance of tiny measurements, including examples from the text in your explication.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of Darwin's Sandwalk as a symbol in the book.
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)