|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who named one finch species "Geospiza incerta," which, according to Weiner, means "ground finch, I guess"?
2. As of the time of Rosemary's interview in Chapter 8, how many finches were not banded on Daphne Major?
3. As Chapter 5 ends, Weiner mentions which food that Darwin ate in the Galapagos?
4. Who was the first person who could recognize all the finches on Daphne Major?
5. To which of the researchers' objects are finches always attracted?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Trevor Price wait so impatiently for rain, and how did he respond when it continued not to come?
2. Which Fortis finches survived the drought of 1977, and why?
3. Describe some of the unusual finch behaviors during the drought.
4. How did Darwin react to the finches while he was in the Galapagos and later while he was in England?
5. Describe the Grants' filing system at Princeton.
6. Summarize the arguments of some of the biologists' early opposition to the theory of evolution.
7. What did Lack discover about the finches, and how was it significant?
8. Summarize Endler's guppy experiments.
9. Compare and contrast the Grants' tools on Daphne Major and their tools at Princeton.
10. Describe some of the differences between the finch species in the Galapagos.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast two episodes of anthropomorphism in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Defend or confront the presence of anthropomorphism in the book. Is it appropriate in a scientific work? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Weiner's use of conceit (extended metaphor) and its significance in the book.
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)