|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which Babylonian king "saw the writing on the wall"?
2. How much rain fell in the driest year on Daphne Major?
(a) 70 millimeters.
(b) 6 millimeters.
(d) 5 meters.
3. From where does Martin Taylor collect his moth specimens?
(a) The East Coast.
(b) The Midwest.
(c) The Pacific Northwest.
(d) The Bible Belt.
4. What animal does the Hawaiian Drosophila Project study?
(a) Fruit flies.
(c) Fruit bats.
(d) Manta rays.
5. As mentioned in Chapter 16, Darwin states that which bird landed on his water pitcher?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who made the statement about Cleopatra's nose that is quoted in Chapter 11?
2. According to Ernst Mayr, what animal has "specialized in despecialization"?
3. How many E. coli bacteria can grow from one bacterium within eight hours?
4. Who wrote the book The Blind Watchmaker?
5. Which plant has dominated Daphne Major since the flood?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Darwin's spelling errors for modern science?
2. Explain how ocean currents affect the Galapagos Islands.
3. What effect do the finches have on cactus flowers?
4. Summarize Weiner's hypothesis on the physical aspect of human consciousness.
5. Describe the two shorelines that Weiner discusses in Chapter 11.
6. Describe Dolph Schluter's experiment in British Columbia.
7. Explain the Drosophila experiment and its significance.
8. Describe the place in which the Grants keep finch blood samples.
9. What significance did Hermon Carey Bumpus discover in the sparrows' deaths? What significance did Peter Grant see?
10. Explain the humor that the Grants find in the painting Science Is Measurement.
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)