|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much rain fell in the driest year on Daphne Major?
(a) 70 millimeters.
(c) 6 millimeters.
(d) 5 meters.
2. Weiner states in Chapter 14 that the finches are like which work of art?
(c) Michelangelo's Prisoners.
3. Which scientist is mentioned in Chapter 14 as strongly advocating the need for measurement in science?
(a) Blaise Pascal.
(b) Louis Pasteur.
(c) Marie Curie.
(d) Lord Kelvin.
4. What part of the human is comparable to the finch's beak, according to Weiner?
(a) The hand.
(b) The digestive tract.
(c) The eye.
(d) The mind.
5. As mentioned in Chapter 16, Darwin states that which bird landed on his water pitcher?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Darwin find the finch Magnirostris magnirostris?
2. What animal does Scott Carroll study?
3. When did the ancestors of humans start to walk?
4. Who is studying the Sticklebacks?
5. In the first paragraph of Chapter 11, Darwin is discussing the hybridization of which animal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the place in which the Grants keep finch blood samples.
2. Explain the Drosophila experiment and its significance.
3. What is the significance of Darwin's spelling errors for modern science?
4. Summarize Gayle Davies' experience with the finches.
5. Answer Weiner's question, "Why are there so many kinds of animals?"
6. Explain how bacteria build up resistance to antibiotics.
7. Describe how Biston betularia changed color and why it is changing back.
8. What did Lewontin and Birch discover about the Dacus tryoni?
9. What is the significance of the finch's songs? Explain in detail.
10. Explain how ocean currents affect the Galapagos Islands.
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)