|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Darwin pick up the second volume of Principles of Geology?
(d) Buenos Aires.
2. What animal does Scott Carroll study?
(a) The water buffalo.
(b) The tsetse fly.
(c) The English bulldog.
(d) The soapberry bug.
3. Approximately how many species of birds are there in the world?
4. What do the Grants keep in the freezer in the "sub-subbasement'?
(b) Blood samples.
(c) Ice core samples.
5. Who is studying the Sticklebacks?
(a) Dolph Schluter.
(b) Chris Chaplin.
(c) Peter Boag.
(d) Trevor Price.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who appears in Chapter 15 separating DNA in plastic bags?
2. Who wrote the book The Blind Watchmaker?
3. In what month do cacti on Daphne Major start to bloom?
4. In chapter 15, Weiner discusses the growth of which microbe in a Petri dish?
5. What plant did the botanist Edgar Anderson study in the Ozarks?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the two shorelines that Weiner discusses in Chapter 11.
2. Explain the humor that the Grants find in the painting Science Is Measurement.
3. Describe Dolph Schluter's experiment in British Columbia.
4. What is the significance of the finch's songs? Explain in detail.
5. Describe the act of "speciation" in the haw flies.
6. Choose one example from the text regarding how humans affect other species, and explain it.
7. Describe the place in which the Grants keep finch blood samples.
8. Why do plants hybridize rather readily?
9. What effect do the finches have on cactus flowers?
10. Explain how bacteria build up resistance to antibiotics.
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)