|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal does the Hawaiian Drosophila Project study?
(a) Manta rays.
(b) Fruit bats.
(d) Fruit flies.
2. Who is studying the Sticklebacks?
(a) Peter Boag.
(b) Chris Chaplin.
(c) Trevor Price.
(d) Dolph Schluter.
3. In what state did Benjamin Walsh build his homestead?
(d) West Virginia.
4. As witnessed by Hermon Carey Bumpus, which birds died en masse after a blizzard?
(b) English sparrows.
5. What is "one of the greatest remaining mysteries in biology," according to Weiner?
(a) The missing link.
(b) Origins of the universe.
(c) Human consciousness.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did Darwin commission to breed unusual combinations of pigeons?
2. Which scientist is mentioned in Chapter 14 as strongly advocating the need for measurement in science?
3. Weiner states in Chapter 14 that the finches are like which work of art?
4. Who draws a chart at the end of Chapter 14?
5. On which island do humans not normally live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the humor that the Grants find in the painting Science Is Measurement.
2. What did Lewontin and Birch discover about the Dacus tryoni?
3. Describe the two shorelines that Weiner discusses in Chapter 11.
4. Summarize Weiner's hypothesis on the physical aspect of human consciousness.
5. What is the significance of Darwin's spelling errors for modern science?
6. Explain how bacteria build up resistance to antibiotics.
7. Summarize Gayle Davies' experience with the finches.
8. What is the significance of the finch's songs? Explain in detail.
9. Explain the Drosophila experiment and its significance.
10. What effect do the finches have on cactus flowers?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)