|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book is quoted at the beginning of Chapter 15?
(c) The Iliad.
2. In the first paragraph of Chapter 11, Darwin is discussing the hybridization of which animal?
3. What is the name of the librarian of the Charles Darwin Research Station?
(a) Gayle Davies.
(b) Dorothy Sayers.
(c) Ginger Jones.
(d) Doris Jackson.
4. What animal does the Hawaiian Drosophila Project study?
(a) Fruit bats.
(b) Fruit flies.
(c) Manta rays.
5. Which Greek philosopher is quoted at the end of Chapter 13?
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of bird is the Crossbill?
2. What does the illustration in The Origin of Species depict?
3. As witnessed by Hermon Carey Bumpus, which birds died en masse after a blizzard?
4. Chapter 17 showcases the evolution of which mammal?
5. How much rain fell in the driest year on Daphne Major?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how ocean currents affect the Galapagos Islands.
2. Describe what Martin Taylor does with the moth samples he receives.
3. What effect do the finches have on cactus flowers?
4. What is the significance of the finch's songs? Explain in detail.
5. Describe the act of "speciation" in the haw flies.
6. Why do plants hybridize rather readily?
7. Choose one example from the text regarding how humans affect other species, and explain it.
8. What is the significance of Darwin's spelling errors for modern science?
9. Describe the place in which the Grants keep finch blood samples.
10. Describe how Biston betularia changed color and why it is changing back.
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)