|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is "one of the greatest remaining mysteries in biology," according to Weiner?
(a) The missing link.
(b) Human consciousness.
(c) Origins of the universe.
2. Who has catalogued Darwin's spelling mistakes?
(a) Sir John Sebright.
(b) Frank J. Sulloway.
(c) Jackson Pollock.
(d) Rosemary Grant.
3. Who appears in Chapter 15 separating DNA in plastic bags?
(a) Peter Grant.
(b) Dolph Schluter.
(c) Trevor Price.
(d) Peter Boag.
4. What is the name of the mutant gene that helps flies resist DDT?
5. Where did Darwin pick up the second volume of Principles of Geology?
(c) Buenos Aires.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which animal did Lewontin and Birch study?
2. Weiner states in Chapter 14 that the finches are like which work of art?
3. When did the ancestors of humans start to walk?
4. From where does Martin Taylor collect his moth specimens?
5. How long did it take flies to develop resistance to the "resistance-proof" pesticides introduced in 1967?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Lewontin and Birch discover about the Dacus tryoni?
2. Describe Dolph Schluter's experiment in British Columbia.
3. What is the significance of Darwin's spelling errors for modern science?
4. Explain how bacteria build up resistance to antibiotics.
5. Summarize Gayle Davies' experience with the finches.
6. Explain how ocean currents affect the Galapagos Islands.
7. What significance did Hermon Carey Bumpus discover in the sparrows' deaths? What significance did Peter Grant see?
8. Describe what Martin Taylor does with the moth samples he receives.
9. Explain the Drosophila experiment and its significance.
10. Answer Weiner's question, "Why are there so many kinds of animals?"
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)