|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which Greek philosopher is quoted at the end of Chapter 13?
2. In chapter 15, Weiner discusses the growth of which microbe in a Petri dish?
(c) Ebola virus.
(d) E. coli.
3. What do Crossbills eat?
(b) The seeds in pinecones.
4. Which Babylonian king "saw the writing on the wall"?
5. How many people carry the bacteria that causes tuberculosis?
(a) 1 in 6.
(b) 1 in 9.
(c) 1 in 4.
(d) 1 in 3.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month do cacti on Daphne Major start to bloom?
2. On which island do humans not normally live?
3. Who wrote the book The Blind Watchmaker?
4. What type of bird is the Crossbill?
5. Where did Darwin pick up the second volume of Principles of Geology?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the two shorelines that Weiner discusses in Chapter 11.
2. Describe Dolph Schluter's experiment in British Columbia.
3. Explain how bacteria build up resistance to antibiotics.
4. Summarize Weiner's hypothesis on the physical aspect of human consciousness.
5. Choose one example from the text regarding how humans affect other species, and explain it.
6. Describe the act of "speciation" in the haw flies.
7. Describe what Martin Taylor does with the moth samples he receives.
8. What is the significance of Darwin's spelling errors for modern science?
9. What is the significance of the finch's songs? Explain in detail.
10. What significance did Hermon Carey Bumpus discover in the sparrows' deaths? What significance did Peter Grant see?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)