|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom did Darwin commission to breed unusual combinations of pigeons?
(a) Sir John Sebright.
(b) Arthur Conan Doyle.
(c) John Sewall.
(d) Lord Byron.
2. How many times has the environment changed as rapidly as in the 20th century?
3. What is the name of the mutant gene that helps flies resist DDT?
4. Which animal did Lewontin and Birch study?
(d) Fruit fly.
5. What does the Latin word "reticulum" mean?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many E. coli bacteria can grow from one bacterium within eight hours?
2. On what drenched island near the equator do finches live, as mentioned in Chapter 19?
3. On which island do humans not normally live?
4. What is "one of the greatest remaining mysteries in biology," according to Weiner?
5. What is the name of the Charles Darwin Research Station's journal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Biston betularia changed color and why it is changing back.
2. Summarize Weiner's hypothesis on the physical aspect of human consciousness.
3. What is the significance of Darwin's spelling errors for modern science?
4. Describe the act of "speciation" in the haw flies.
5. Answer Weiner's question, "Why are there so many kinds of animals?"
6. Explain the humor that the Grants find in the painting Science Is Measurement.
7. Explain the Drosophila experiment and its significance.
8. What significance did Hermon Carey Bumpus discover in the sparrows' deaths? What significance did Peter Grant see?
9. What effect do the finches have on cactus flowers?
10. Explain how bacteria build up resistance to antibiotics.
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)