|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the librarian of the Charles Darwin Research Station?
(a) Gayle Davies.
(b) Doris Jackson.
(c) Dorothy Sayers.
(d) Ginger Jones.
2. Which plant has dominated Daphne Major since the flood?
3. What does the Latin word "specere" mean?
(a) To see.
(b) To sing.
(c) To be speckled.
(d) To specify.
4. What does the Latin word "reticulum" mean?
5. What do Crossbills eat?
(d) The seeds in pinecones.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did it take flies to develop resistance to the "resistance-proof" pesticides introduced in 1967?
2. In the first paragraph of Chapter 11, Darwin is discussing the hybridization of which animal?
3. How many mating songs does each species of finch have?
4. In chapter 16, Weiner compares evolutionists to characters in which classic story?
5. Whom did Darwin commission to breed unusual combinations of pigeons?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the humor that the Grants find in the painting Science Is Measurement.
2. What effect do the finches have on cactus flowers?
3. What is the significance of Darwin's spelling errors for modern science?
4. Choose one example from the text regarding how humans affect other species, and explain it.
5. Describe Dolph Schluter's experiment in British Columbia.
6. Explain the Drosophila experiment and its significance.
7. What is the significance of the finch's songs? Explain in detail.
8. What significance did Hermon Carey Bumpus discover in the sparrows' deaths? What significance did Peter Grant see?
9. Explain how ocean currents affect the Galapagos Islands.
10. Summarize Gayle Davies' experience with the finches.
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)