|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Approximately how many species of birds are there in the world?
2. Who has catalogued Darwin's spelling mistakes?
(a) Jackson Pollock.
(b) Sir John Sebright.
(c) Frank J. Sulloway.
(d) Rosemary Grant.
3. What does the Latin word "specere" mean?
(a) To sing.
(b) To specify.
(c) To see.
(d) To be speckled.
4. How many species of finch are there in Hawaii?
5. What plant did the botanist Edgar Anderson study in the Ozarks?
(b) Creeping phlox.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much rain fell in the driest year on Daphne Major?
2. Where did Darwin pick up the second volume of Principles of Geology?
3. As mentioned in Chapter 16, Darwin states that which bird landed on his water pitcher?
4. Which animal did Lewontin and Birch study?
5. In what month do cacti on Daphne Major start to bloom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize Weiner's hypothesis on the physical aspect of human consciousness.
2. Why do plants hybridize rather readily?
3. Summarize Gayle Davies' experience with the finches.
4. Describe the place in which the Grants keep finch blood samples.
5. What significance did Hermon Carey Bumpus discover in the sparrows' deaths? What significance did Peter Grant see?
6. Explain the humor that the Grants find in the painting Science Is Measurement.
7. Describe the two shorelines that Weiner discusses in Chapter 11.
8. Describe Dolph Schluter's experiment in British Columbia.
9. Answer Weiner's question, "Why are there so many kinds of animals?"
10. Explain the Drosophila experiment and its significance.
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)