|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal does the Hawaiian Drosophila Project study?
(a) Fruit bats.
(c) Fruit flies.
(d) Manta rays.
2. In chapter 15, Weiner discusses the growth of which microbe in a Petri dish?
(a) Ebola virus.
(d) E. coli.
3. What do the Grants keep in the freezer in the "sub-subbasement'?
(b) Blood samples.
(d) Ice core samples.
4. Whom did Darwin commission to breed unusual combinations of pigeons?
(a) Sir John Sebright.
(b) John Sewall.
(c) Lord Byron.
(d) Arthur Conan Doyle.
5. Who made the statement about Cleopatra's nose that is quoted in Chapter 11?
(a) Isaac Newton.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what drenched island near the equator do finches live, as mentioned in Chapter 19?
2. What color was the moth Biston betularia in the early 1800s?
3. What is the name of the Charles Darwin Research Station's journal?
4. Who wrote the article on global warming that is discussed in Chapter 18?
5. What does an old woman in Puerto Ayora eat to avenge herself against the finches?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize Gayle Davies' experience with the finches.
2. What is the significance of the finch's songs? Explain in detail.
3. What is the significance of Darwin's spelling errors for modern science?
4. Describe what Martin Taylor does with the moth samples he receives.
5. What did Lewontin and Birch discover about the Dacus tryoni?
6. What effect do the finches have on cactus flowers?
7. Explain how ocean currents affect the Galapagos Islands.
8. Describe the act of "speciation" in the haw flies.
9. Explain the Drosophila experiment and its significance.
10. Choose one example from the text regarding how humans affect other species, and explain it.
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)