|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what drenched island near the equator do finches live, as mentioned in Chapter 19?
(c) Rapa Nui.
2. What is the name of the librarian of the Charles Darwin Research Station?
(a) Ginger Jones.
(b) Dorothy Sayers.
(c) Doris Jackson.
(d) Gayle Davies.
3. What does the illustration in The Origin of Species depict?
(a) A mockingbird.
(b) The "tree of life."
(c) London Bridge.
(d) An iguana.
4. In the first paragraph of Chapter 11, Darwin is discussing the hybridization of which animal?
5. In what month do cacti on Daphne Major start to bloom?
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 15, Weiner discusses the growth of which microbe in a Petri dish?
2. What does an old woman in Puerto Ayora eat to avenge herself against the finches?
3. Who appears in Chapter 15 separating DNA in plastic bags?
4. How much rain fell in the driest year on Daphne Major?
5. What is the name of the mutant gene that helps flies resist DDT?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the act of "speciation" in the haw flies.
2. Explain the Drosophila experiment and its significance.
3. Explain the humor that the Grants find in the painting Science Is Measurement.
4. Explain how bacteria build up resistance to antibiotics.
5. What is the significance of Darwin's spelling errors for modern science?
6. Describe what Martin Taylor does with the moth samples he receives.
7. Describe how Biston betularia changed color and why it is changing back.
8. What effect do the finches have on cactus flowers?
9. Describe Dolph Schluter's experiment in British Columbia.
10. Answer Weiner's question, "Why are there so many kinds of animals?"
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)