|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal does the Hawaiian Drosophila Project study?
(a) Manta rays.
(b) Fruit bats.
(d) Fruit flies.
2. What animal does Scott Carroll study?
(a) The English bulldog.
(b) The soapberry bug.
(c) The water buffalo.
(d) The tsetse fly.
3. According to Ernst Mayr, what animal has "specialized in despecialization"?
(a) Giant pandas.
4. In what state did Benjamin Walsh build his homestead?
(d) West Virginia.
5. Approximately how many species of birds are there in the world?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Babylonian king "saw the writing on the wall"?
2. In chapter 16, Weiner compares evolutionists to characters in which classic story?
3. Which scientist is mentioned in Chapter 14 as strongly advocating the need for measurement in science?
4. What does the Latin word "specere" mean?
5. As mentioned in Chapter 16, Darwin states that which bird landed on his water pitcher?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do plants hybridize rather readily?
2. Describe how Biston betularia changed color and why it is changing back.
3. Explain the humor that the Grants find in the painting Science Is Measurement.
4. Choose one example from the text regarding how humans affect other species, and explain it.
5. Describe Dolph Schluter's experiment in British Columbia.
6. Explain how ocean currents affect the Galapagos Islands.
7. Describe the act of "speciation" in the haw flies.
8. Describe the two shorelines that Weiner discusses in Chapter 11.
9. What is the significance of Darwin's spelling errors for modern science?
10. What significance did Hermon Carey Bumpus discover in the sparrows' deaths? What significance did Peter Grant see?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)