|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Weiner states in Chapter 14 that the finches are like which work of art?
(d) Michelangelo's Prisoners.
2. In what state did Benjamin Walsh build his homestead?
(a) West Virginia.
3. Which scientist is mentioned in Chapter 14 as strongly advocating the need for measurement in science?
(a) Marie Curie.
(b) Louis Pasteur.
(c) Lord Kelvin.
(d) Blaise Pascal.
4. What color was the moth Biston betularia in the early 1800s?
(c) Bluish green.
5. Who is studying the Sticklebacks?
(a) Peter Boag.
(b) Trevor Price.
(c) Chris Chaplin.
(d) Dolph Schluter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who draws a chart at the end of Chapter 14?
2. What part of the human is comparable to the finch's beak, according to Weiner?
3. What does the Latin word "specere" mean?
4. When did the ancestors of humans start to walk?
5. Which Greek philosopher is quoted at the end of Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. What significance did Hermon Carey Bumpus discover in the sparrows' deaths? What significance did Peter Grant see?
2. Answer Weiner's question, "Why are there so many kinds of animals?"
3. Describe Dolph Schluter's experiment in British Columbia.
4. What effect do the finches have on cactus flowers?
5. Describe the act of "speciation" in the haw flies.
6. What is the significance of Darwin's spelling errors for modern science?
7. Describe how Biston betularia changed color and why it is changing back.
8. Summarize Weiner's hypothesis on the physical aspect of human consciousness.
9. What did Lewontin and Birch discover about the Dacus tryoni?
10. Summarize Gayle Davies' experience with the finches.
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)