|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who has catalogued Darwin's spelling mistakes?
(a) Rosemary Grant.
(b) Sir John Sebright.
(c) Frank J. Sulloway.
(d) Jackson Pollock.
2. In the first paragraph of Chapter 11, Darwin is discussing the hybridization of which animal?
3. Who draws a chart at the end of Chapter 14?
(a) Peter and Rosemary.
(b) Peter Boag and Laurene Ratcliffe.
(c) Martin Taylor.
(d) Trevor Price.
4. Who made the statement about Cleopatra's nose that is quoted in Chapter 11?
(a) Isaac Newton.
5. When did the ancestors of humans start to walk?
(a) 200,000 years ago.
(b) 6-7 million years ago.
(c) 40 million years ago.
(d) 8000 years ago.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal does Scott Carroll study?
2. What is the name of the Charles Darwin Research Station's journal?
3. How many species of Cichlid live in Lake Victoria?
4. Whom did Darwin commission to breed unusual combinations of pigeons?
5. What does the illustration in The Origin of Species depict?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do plants hybridize rather readily?
2. Explain the humor that the Grants find in the painting Science Is Measurement.
3. Explain the Drosophila experiment and its significance.
4. Summarize Weiner's hypothesis on the physical aspect of human consciousness.
5. What did Lewontin and Birch discover about the Dacus tryoni?
6. Choose one example from the text regarding how humans affect other species, and explain it.
7. Describe what Martin Taylor does with the moth samples he receives.
8. Describe Dolph Schluter's experiment in British Columbia.
9. Describe how Biston betularia changed color and why it is changing back.
10. Summarize Gayle Davies' experience with the finches.
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)