|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which Greek philosopher is quoted at the end of Chapter 13?
2. What is "one of the greatest remaining mysteries in biology," according to Weiner?
(a) Human consciousness.
(b) Origins of the universe.
(d) The missing link.
3. From where does Martin Taylor collect his moth specimens?
(a) The Bible Belt.
(b) The Midwest.
(c) The Pacific Northwest.
(d) The East Coast.
4. How much rain fell in the driest year on Daphne Major?
(a) 5 meters.
(b) 70 millimeters.
(c) 6 millimeters.
5. How many mating songs does each species of finch have?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Ernst Mayr, what animal has "specialized in despecialization"?
2. On what drenched island near the equator do finches live, as mentioned in Chapter 19?
3. What is the painting called that Henry Stacy Marks created?
4. Approximately how many species of birds are there in the world?
5. Who appears in Chapter 15 separating DNA in plastic bags?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the finch's songs? Explain in detail.
2. Explain how ocean currents affect the Galapagos Islands.
3. Describe the two shorelines that Weiner discusses in Chapter 11.
4. Answer Weiner's question, "Why are there so many kinds of animals?"
5. What is the significance of Darwin's spelling errors for modern science?
6. Describe the act of "speciation" in the haw flies.
7. Summarize Gayle Davies' experience with the finches.
8. What significance did Hermon Carey Bumpus discover in the sparrows' deaths? What significance did Peter Grant see?
9. What effect do the finches have on cactus flowers?
10. Explain the humor that the Grants find in the painting Science Is Measurement.
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)