|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who draws a chart at the end of Chapter 14?
(a) Peter Boag and Laurene Ratcliffe.
(b) Trevor Price.
(c) Martin Taylor.
(d) Peter and Rosemary.
2. Where did Darwin pick up the second volume of Principles of Geology?
(d) Buenos Aires.
3. What does the Latin word "specere" mean?
(a) To see.
(b) To specify.
(c) To be speckled.
(d) To sing.
4. How many mating songs does each species of finch have?
5. In chapter 15, Weiner discusses the growth of which microbe in a Petri dish?
(b) Ebola virus.
(c) E. coli.
Short Answer Questions
1. Approximately how many species of birds are there in the world?
2. Who wrote the book The Blind Watchmaker?
3. In what state did Benjamin Walsh build his homestead?
4. Which Babylonian king "saw the writing on the wall"?
5. Who made the statement about Cleopatra's nose that is quoted in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Biston betularia changed color and why it is changing back.
2. Describe the place in which the Grants keep finch blood samples.
3. Choose one example from the text regarding how humans affect other species, and explain it.
4. Describe the act of "speciation" in the haw flies.
5. Explain how ocean currents affect the Galapagos Islands.
6. What is the significance of Darwin's spelling errors for modern science?
7. Summarize Weiner's hypothesis on the physical aspect of human consciousness.
8. Describe what Martin Taylor does with the moth samples he receives.
9. What significance did Hermon Carey Bumpus discover in the sparrows' deaths? What significance did Peter Grant see?
10. Why do plants hybridize rather readily?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)