|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As witnessed by Hermon Carey Bumpus, which birds died en masse after a blizzard?
(b) English sparrows.
2. What does the illustration in The Origin of Species depict?
(a) The "tree of life."
(b) London Bridge.
(c) An iguana.
(d) A mockingbird.
3. Weiner states in Chapter 14 that the finches are like which work of art?
(c) Michelangelo's Prisoners.
4. In the first paragraph of Chapter 11, Darwin is discussing the hybridization of which animal?
5. How much rain fell in the driest year on Daphne Major?
(a) 6 millimeters.
(c) 5 meters.
(d) 70 millimeters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Grants keep in the freezer in the "sub-subbasement'?
2. In chapter 15, Weiner discusses the growth of which microbe in a Petri dish?
3. For what university did the drosophilists discussed in Chapter 12 work?
4. Which animal did Lewontin and Birch study?
5. Which Babylonian king "saw the writing on the wall"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize Weiner's hypothesis on the physical aspect of human consciousness.
2. Choose one example from the text regarding how humans affect other species, and explain it.
3. Describe the act of "speciation" in the haw flies.
4. Describe the place in which the Grants keep finch blood samples.
5. What effect do the finches have on cactus flowers?
6. What is the significance of the finch's songs? Explain in detail.
7. Summarize Gayle Davies' experience with the finches.
8. Explain how bacteria build up resistance to antibiotics.
9. Why do plants hybridize rather readily?
10. Describe the two shorelines that Weiner discusses in Chapter 11.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)