|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Latin word "reticulum" mean?
2. What do the Grants keep in the freezer in the "sub-subbasement'?
(b) Blood samples.
(d) Ice core samples.
3. What is different from farm to farm in the Mississippi Delta?
(a) Crop circles.
(d) Mosquito density.
4. What is the name of the mutant gene that helps flies resist DDT?
5. What do Crossbills eat?
(d) The seeds in pinecones.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what drenched island near the equator do finches live, as mentioned in Chapter 19?
2. What part of the human is comparable to the finch's beak, according to Weiner?
3. From where does Martin Taylor collect his moth specimens?
4. How much rain fell in the driest year on Daphne Major?
5. What book is quoted at the beginning of Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect do the finches have on cactus flowers?
2. Answer Weiner's question, "Why are there so many kinds of animals?"
3. Describe the place in which the Grants keep finch blood samples.
4. Summarize Gayle Davies' experience with the finches.
5. Describe the act of "speciation" in the haw flies.
6. What significance did Hermon Carey Bumpus discover in the sparrows' deaths? What significance did Peter Grant see?
7. Describe Dolph Schluter's experiment in British Columbia.
8. Describe how Biston betularia changed color and why it is changing back.
9. What did Lewontin and Birch discover about the Dacus tryoni?
10. Explain how bacteria build up resistance to antibiotics.
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)