|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much rain fell in the driest year on Daphne Major?
(a) 70 millimeters.
(c) 5 meters.
(d) 6 millimeters.
2. Approximately how many species of birds are there in the world?
3. What does an old woman in Puerto Ayora eat to avenge herself against the finches?
(a) Rotisserie finch.
(b) Finch soup.
(c) Tribulus seeds.
(d) Cacabus seeds.
4. Which Babylonian king "saw the writing on the wall"?
5. How many mating songs does each species of finch have?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the librarian of the Charles Darwin Research Station?
2. According to Ernst Mayr, what animal has "specialized in despecialization"?
3. Who made the statement about Cleopatra's nose that is quoted in Chapter 11?
4. In the first paragraph of Chapter 11, Darwin is discussing the hybridization of which animal?
5. What color was the moth Biston betularia in the early 1800s?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect do the finches have on cactus flowers?
2. Explain the Drosophila experiment and its significance.
3. What significance did Hermon Carey Bumpus discover in the sparrows' deaths? What significance did Peter Grant see?
4. Describe the two shorelines that Weiner discusses in Chapter 11.
5. Summarize Weiner's hypothesis on the physical aspect of human consciousness.
6. Explain how ocean currents affect the Galapagos Islands.
7. Why do plants hybridize rather readily?
8. Explain how bacteria build up resistance to antibiotics.
9. Describe the act of "speciation" in the haw flies.
10. What did Lewontin and Birch discover about the Dacus tryoni?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)