|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Rosemary spend her childhood?
(a) The Lake District.
2. Who is "the greatest authority on plants of the Galapagos"?
(a) Peter Boag.
(b) Ian Abbott.
(c) David Lack.
(d) Duncan Porter.
3. What book did Darwin call his "Big Book"?
(b) War and Peace.
(c) The Voyage of the Beagle.
(d) The Origin of Species.
4. As Chapter 5 ends, Weiner mentions which food that Darwin ate in the Galapagos?
5. Who, when observing Darwin's finches in museums, noticed the many differences in the birds' beaks?
(a) Percy R. Lowe.
(b) David Lack.
(c) Osbert Salvin.
(d) William Paley.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what book does Darwin discuss "sexual selection"?
2. What animal does Weiner describe as having "the body plan of a volcano"?
3. Which weed does Chapter 4 discuss in detail?
4. Who was the first person who could recognize all the finches on Daphne Major?
5. What does Weiner compare to the "flaming sword at the gates of Eden"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Lack discover about the finches, and how was it significant?
2. Explain the significance of black and brown feathers in finch males, as discussed in Chapter 6.
3. Explain Weiner's assertion that "taxonomists can be classified into splitters and lumpers."
4. Summarize Endler's guppy experiments.
5. Describe some of the unusual finch behaviors during the drought.
6. Describe Darwin's personal life after returning to England.
7. Compare and contrast the Grants' tools on Daphne Major and their tools at Princeton.
8. Explain the significance of the Tribulus seed for Darwin's finches.
9. Explain El Niño and how it affects the Galapagos Islands.
10. Explain the metaphor of the watch and the watchmaker.
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)