Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who devised the idea of "adaptive landscapes"?
(a) Sewall Wright.
(b) Ian Abbott.
(c) Trevor Price.
(d) Phillip Gingerich.
2. Who has deeply studied the history of studying evolution in the Galapagos Islands?
(a) David Anderson.
(b) Frank J. Sulloway.
(c) William Hamilton.
(d) Peter Boag.
3. What type of bird suffered on Genovesa during the rains of 1982-83?
4. How many times did Number 3425 breed in 1983?
5. What part of the finch is the tarsus?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is "the greatest authority on plants of the Galapagos"?
2. Weiner compares the Cactus finch to whom in the beginning of Chapter 2?
3. What color is the beak of a finch that is about to mate?
4. Who argued against the principle of divergence using the phrase "the Ghost of Competition Past"?
5. Chapter 8 mentions that Peter has to deliver a lecture in which country?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Biston betularia changed color and why it is changing back.
2. Explain Weiner's assertion that "taxonomists can be classified into splitters and lumpers."
3. Explain the significance of the Tribulus seed for Darwin's finches.
4. Describe the Grants' filing system at Princeton.
5. Why did Trevor Price wait so impatiently for rain, and how did he respond when it continued not to come?
6. Summarize Gayle Davies' experience with the finches.
7. Describe some of the unusual finch behaviors during the drought.
8. Summarize Endler's guppy experiments.
9. Choose one example from the text regarding how humans affect other species, and explain it.
10. Of what significance is Darwin's Sandwalk to science?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)