|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Approximately how many islands are in the Galapagos Archipelago?
2. What color is the beak of a finch that is about to mate?
3. Which playwright does Weiner quote at the end of Chapter 4?
4. How much rain fell on the day the severe drought ended, as mentioned in Chapter 5?
(a) Fifty millimeters.
(b) Thirty millimeters.
(c) One inch.
(d) Two inches.
5. How many plants grew in Darwin's cup of dirt?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to chapter 9, what percentage of the birds on Darwin's property were killed in the cold weather?
2. How long was the "Thinking Path"?
3. How long did Darwin study barnacles?
4. In what year did the Grants first go to the Galapagos?
5. Which weed does Chapter 4 discuss in detail?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do various species get from island to island in the Galapagos? Remember to include examples of both plants and animals.
2. Describe the view from the peak of Daphne Major.
3. Compare and contrast evolution as seen through the fossil record and as observed in real time.
4. Why did the crew of the Beagle want to stop in the Galapagos, and what did they find there?
5. Summarize the arguments of some of the biologists' early opposition to the theory of evolution.
6. Describe the Grants' filing system at Princeton.
7. What did Lack discover about the finches, and how was it significant?
8. Summarize Endler's guppy experiments.
9. Describe a typical workday for the Grants on Daphne Major.
10. What was the "most miserable piece of data" Peter Boag ever gathered? Explain.
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)