|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many plants grew in Darwin's cup of dirt?
2. As of the time of Rosemary's interview in Chapter 8, how many finches were not banded on Daphne Major?
3. Who helped Jamie Smith analyze his data on sparrows?
(a) Dolph Schluter.
(b) Peter Grant.
(c) Peter Boag.
(d) Ian Abbott.
4. What plants did the Grants find growing on Nuñez?
(b) Green beans.
(c) Flame trees.
(d) Oak trees.
5. Where does Jamie Smith study sparrows?
(d) British Columbia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book did Darwin call his "Big Book"?
2. What type of bird suffered on Genovesa during the rains of 1982-83?
3. Where did John Endler build his experimental ponds?
4. In how many portfolios did Charles Darwin store his field notes?
5. Which of the following is not a predator mentioned in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Darwin's personal life after returning to England.
2. Describe some of the unusual finch behaviors during the drought.
3. Explain the occurrence of natural selection that Dolph Schluter found in the sparrows.
4. Explain the significance of black and brown feathers in finch males, as discussed in Chapter 6.
5. Why did Trevor Price wait so impatiently for rain, and how did he respond when it continued not to come?
6. How do the Grants collect blood samples from the finches?
7. Describe a typical workday for the Grants on Daphne Major.
8. Explain El Niño and how it affects the Galapagos Islands.
9. Compare and contrast evolution as seen through the fossil record and as observed in real time.
10. Describe the typical method of arrival on Daphne Major.
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)