|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to chapter 9, what percentage of the birds on Darwin's property were killed in the cold weather?
2. Which classic work of literature did Darwin take with him on his trip to the Galapagos Islands?
(a) The Divine Comedy.
(c) Paradise Lost.
3. Which biologist thought of Darwin's finches as "not separate species at all, but 'hybrid swarms'"?
(a) Peter Boag.
(b) Jamie Smith.
(c) David Lack.
(d) Percy R. Lowe.
4. As Rosemary relates, what sometimes causes a bamboo pole to become unexpectedly heavy as one carries it?
(b) A hawk.
(c) An eagle.
(d) An iguana.
5. Which of the following is not a predator mentioned in Chapter 6?
(b) Rivulus hartii.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the dry year, how much bigger was the beak of a surviving finch than that of a dead finch?
2. As discussed in Chapter 4, which of the finches' traits did Peter Boag study for his thesis?
3. Cactus finches build their nest to protect themselves from which animal?
4. Chapter 8 mentions that Peter has to deliver a lecture in which country?
5. What was the name of the captain of Darwin's ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Trevor Price wait so impatiently for rain, and how did he respond when it continued not to come?
2. Explain the occurrence of natural selection that Dolph Schluter found in the sparrows.
3. Of what significance is Darwin's Sandwalk to science?
4. Explain the significance about the year 1983 as described in Chapter 8.
5. Summarize the arguments of some of the biologists' early opposition to the theory of evolution.
6. Summarize Endler's guppy experiments.
7. Why did the crew of the Beagle want to stop in the Galapagos, and what did they find there?
8. Explain El Niño and how it affects the Galapagos Islands.
9. Explain the significance of black and brown feathers in finch males, as discussed in Chapter 6.
10. What is significant about the hybrid finches discussed in Chapter 8?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)