|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Weiner compares the finches' hunt for seeds to which human food?
(c) Potato chips.
2. How much rain has fallen on the island in the past forty-four months?
(a) 5 inches.
(b) 500 inches.
(c) 1/5 of an inch.
(d) 50 inches.
3. How long was the "Thinking Path"?
(a) .25 miles.
(b) .5 miles.
(c) 2 miles.
(d) 1 mile.
4. As discussed in Chapter 4, which of the finches' traits did Peter Boag study for his thesis?
(b) Resistance to disease.
(c) Survival mechanisms.
(d) Tarsus length.
5. How long did Darwin study barnacles?
(a) 7 years.
(b) 25 years.
(c) 6 months.
(d) 10 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What plants did the Grants find growing on Nuñez?
2. Who helped Jamie Smith analyze his data on sparrows?
3. Who has deeply studied the history of studying evolution in the Galapagos Islands?
4. What color is the beak of a finch that is about to mate?
5. What do the iguanas in the Galapagos eat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the metaphor of the watch and the watchmaker.
2. Describe some of the unusual finch behaviors during the drought.
3. Describe the appearance of Daphne Major after it stopped raining in Chapter 7.
4. Discuss the likelihood that two species will hybridize and the probable outcomes of such a hybridization.
5. Explain the significance of the Tribulus seed for Darwin's finches.
6. What difference did Darwin see among the barnacles, and how did he react?
7. Describe the view from the peak of Daphne Major.
8. Explain Darwin's "eureka" from Chapter 10.
9. How did the finches respond to the rain after the intense drought?
10. How do various species get from island to island in the Galapagos? Remember to include examples of both plants and animals.
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)