|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many times did the Croton trees bloom in the rains of 1982-83?
2. In chapter 6, Weiner compares evolution to the motion of which object?
(a) A whirligig.
(b) A Jackson Pollock painting.
(c) A volcano.
(d) A kaleidoscope.
3. Chapter 8 mentions that Peter has to deliver a lecture in which country?
4. What caused the heavy rains in December 1982?
(a) Global warming.
(b) El Niño.
(c) A typhoon.
(d) Unusually cold weather.
5. What color "indicates age and experience" in the male finches' feathers?
Short Answer Questions
1. As discussed in Chapter 4, which of the finches' traits did Peter Boag study for his thesis?
2. As Chapter 5 ends, Weiner mentions which food that Darwin ate in the Galapagos?
3. Whose appearance is described at the beginning of Chapter 8?
4. Where did John Endler build his experimental ponds?
5. Which classic work of literature did Darwin take with him on his trip to the Galapagos Islands?
Short Essay Questions
1. Under what circumstances do finches drink nectar?
2. Describe the appearance of Daphne Major after it stopped raining in Chapter 7.
3. Explain Darwin's "eureka" from Chapter 10.
4. Describe Darwin's personal life after returning to England.
5. Summarize Endler's guppy experiments.
6. Explain the significance of the Tribulus seed for Darwin's finches.
7. Describe the scope and methods of Trevor Price's observation of the finches.
8. Describe what Peter Boag and Laurene Ratcliffe did on Daphne Major while waiting for rain.
9. How do various species get from island to island in the Galapagos? Remember to include examples of both plants and animals.
10. Describe the typical method of arrival on Daphne Major.
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)