|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who helped Jamie Smith analyze his data on sparrows?
(a) Peter Grant.
(b) Peter Boag.
(c) Dolph Schluter.
(d) Ian Abbott.
2. Which biologist thought of Darwin's finches as "not separate species at all, but 'hybrid swarms'"?
(a) Peter Boag.
(b) Percy R. Lowe.
(c) David Lack.
(d) Jamie Smith.
3. Where did John Endler build his experimental ponds?
(a) Princeton University.
(b) Yale University.
(c) University of Michigan.
(d) University of Manitoba.
4. To which of the researchers' objects are finches always attracted?
(b) A bucket of water.
(d) The trash can.
5. Where did Rosemary spend her childhood?
(b) The Lake District.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which animal did one finch attack during the dry year?
2. As described at the end of Chapter 6, for what were Trevor Price and Lisle Gibbs waiting?
3. At what university did Lisle Gibbs study?
4. Who wrote the book Natural Selection in the Wild?
5. What book did Darwin call his "Big Book"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the appearance of Daphne Major after it stopped raining in Chapter 7.
2. Describe the view from the peak of Daphne Major.
3. Explain the significance of the Tribulus seed for Darwin's finches.
4. Under what circumstances do finches drink nectar?
5. How did the finches respond to the rain after the intense drought?
6. Describe Darwin's personal life after returning to England.
7. Explain Weiner's assertion that "taxonomists can be classified into splitters and lumpers."
8. Describe the Grants' filing system at Princeton.
9. Compare and contrast evolution as seen through the fossil record and as observed in real time.
10. What was Darwin's seed experiment that is discussed in Chapter 9, and how did he carry it out?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)