|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many genera of plants did Darwin's friend find in a "small fallow field in Kent"?
2. Which type of animal in the Galapagos has one alpha male that mates with many females?
(d) Sea lion.
3. Which year was the dry year that is discussed in Chapter 5?
4. Which type of fish is discussed at length in Chapter 6?
5. What does Weiner compare to the "flaming sword at the gates of Eden"?
(a) Natural selection.
(b) The principle of divergence.
(c) El Niño.
(d) Sexual selection.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jamie Smith study sparrows?
2. At what university did Lisle Gibbs study?
3. What part of the finch is the tarsus?
4. How many times did Number 3425 breed in 1983?
5. Whose "Thinking Path" is described in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Trevor Price wait so impatiently for rain, and how did he respond when it continued not to come?
2. Describe some of the unusual finch behaviors during the drought.
3. Compare and contrast evolution as seen through the fossil record and as observed in real time.
4. Describe the scope and methods of Trevor Price's observation of the finches.
5. Explain the significance of the Tribulus seed for Darwin's finches.
6. Summarize the arguments of some of the biologists' early opposition to the theory of evolution.
7. Explain Darwin's "eureka" from Chapter 10.
8. Compare the beaks of Jamie Smith's sparrows with the beaks of the finches.
9. How did Darwin react to the finches while he was in the Galapagos and later while he was in England?
10. Explain the occurrence of natural selection that Dolph Schluter found in the sparrows.
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)