|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What unusual seed did the Grants find on Genovesa after El Niño?
(a) Poison apple.
(b) Wild grape.
2. How many eggs did the best-breeding finch lay in the rainy season?
3. In what book does Darwin discuss "sexual selection"?
(a) The Origin of Species.
(b) Zoology of the Voyage of the H.M.S. Beagle.
(c) Journals and Remarks.
(d) The Descent of Man.
4. Which animal did one finch attack during the dry year?
(a) A sea lion.
(b) A mockingbird.
(c) A black lizard.
(d) A hawk.
5. Who helped Jamie Smith analyze his data on sparrows?
(a) Ian Abbott.
(b) Peter Grant.
(c) Dolph Schluter.
(d) Peter Boag.
Short Answer Questions
1. As of the time of Rosemary's interview in Chapter 8, how many finches were not banded on Daphne Major?
2. How many times did the Croton trees bloom in the rains of 1982-83?
3. What type of bird suffered on Genovesa during the rains of 1982-83?
4. Who wrote the book Natural Selection in the Wild?
5. What do the iguanas in the Galapagos eat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the typical method of arrival on Daphne Major.
2. What was Darwin's seed experiment that is discussed in Chapter 9, and how did he carry it out?
3. Describe the appearance of Daphne Major after it stopped raining in Chapter 7.
4. How do the Grants collect blood samples from the finches?
5. Describe what Peter Boag and Laurene Ratcliffe did on Daphne Major while waiting for rain.
6. Under what circumstances do finches drink nectar?
7. What is significant about the hybrid finches discussed in Chapter 8?
8. How did Darwin react to the finches while he was in the Galapagos and later while he was in England?
9. Describe Darwin's personal life after returning to England.
10. Which Fortis finches survived the drought of 1977, and why?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)