|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many species of Ground finch are there in the Galapagos?
2. Who devised the metaphor of the watch and the watchmaker?
(a) William Paley.
(b) Joseph Hooker.
(d) William Shakespeare.
3. At what university did Lisle Gibbs study?
(a) Washington University of St. Louis.
(b) University of Michigan.
(c) Princeton University.
(d) Ohio State University.
4. Who has deeply studied the history of studying evolution in the Galapagos Islands?
(a) Peter Boag.
(b) David Anderson.
(c) William Hamilton.
(d) Frank J. Sulloway.
5. Where did Rosemary spend her childhood?
(b) The Lake District.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cactus finches build their nest to protect themselves from which animal?
2. Whose "Thinking Path" is described in Chapter 9?
3. What organism did Darwin's colleague Joseph Hooker study?
4. As discussed in Chapter 4, which of the finches' traits did Peter Boag study for his thesis?
5. How many times did Number 3425 breed in 1983?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe some of the differences between the finch species in the Galapagos.
2. Explain the significance of black and brown feathers in finch males, as discussed in Chapter 6.
3. Describe the scope and methods of Trevor Price's observation of the finches.
4. How did the finches respond to the rain after the intense drought?
5. What was Darwin's seed experiment that is discussed in Chapter 9, and how did he carry it out?
6. Describe the typical method of arrival on Daphne Major.
7. Explain Darwin's "eureka" from Chapter 10.
8. Describe some of the unusual finch behaviors during the drought.
9. Explain the significance about the year 1983 as described in Chapter 8.
10. Describe the appearance of Daphne Major after it stopped raining in Chapter 7.
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)