|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter 6, Weiner compares evolution to the motion of which object?
(a) A volcano.
(b) A Jackson Pollock painting.
(c) A kaleidoscope.
(d) A whirligig.
2. Which classic work of literature did Darwin take with him on his trip to the Galapagos Islands?
(a) Paradise Lost.
(d) The Divine Comedy.
3. How many eggs did the best-breeding finch lay in the rainy season?
4. In Chapter 5, to which mythical figure does Weiner compare the finches?
(d) The Sirens.
5. What do the iguanas in the Galapagos eat?
(c) Croton seeds.
Short Answer Questions
1. From how far away do the Grants take photographs of the finches for their research?
2. What was the name of the boat by which the Grants traveled from island to island, as mentioned in Chapter 8?
3. What is the name of the building where Peter and Rosemary have their offices?
4. Which biologist thought of Darwin's finches as "not separate species at all, but 'hybrid swarms'"?
5. As discussed in Chapter 4, which of the finches' traits did Peter Boag study for his thesis?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Darwin's personal life after returning to England.
2. Describe some of the differences between the finch species in the Galapagos.
3. Explain El Niño and how it affects the Galapagos Islands.
4. Explain the significance about the year 1983 as described in Chapter 8.
5. Explain the metaphor of the watch and the watchmaker.
6. Explain the significance of black and brown feathers in finch males, as discussed in Chapter 6.
7. What was the "most miserable piece of data" Peter Boag ever gathered? Explain.
8. What difference did Darwin see among the barnacles, and how did he react?
9. Under what circumstances do finches drink nectar?
10. Describe some of the unusual finch behaviors during the drought.
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)