|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many times did the Croton trees bloom in the rains of 1982-83?
2. How much rain fell on the day the severe drought ended, as mentioned in Chapter 5?
(a) Thirty millimeters.
(b) Two inches.
(c) One inch.
(d) Fifty millimeters.
3. In chapter 6, Weiner compares evolution to the motion of which object?
(a) A volcano.
(b) A whirligig.
(c) A kaleidoscope.
(d) A Jackson Pollock painting.
4. In Chapter 5, to which mythical figure does Weiner compare the finches?
(a) The Sirens.
5. In how many portfolios did Charles Darwin store his field notes?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jamie Smith study sparrows?
2. From how far away do the Grants take photographs of the finches for their research?
3. What animal does Weiner describe as having "the body plan of a volcano"?
4. Who is "the greatest authority on plants of the Galapagos"?
5. What color "indicates age and experience" in the male finches' feathers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe some of the differences between the finch species in the Galapagos.
2. Describe the typical method of arrival on Daphne Major.
3. Compare and contrast evolution as seen through the fossil record and as observed in real time.
4. Explain the occurrence of natural selection that Dolph Schluter found in the sparrows.
5. What difference did Darwin see among the barnacles, and how did he react?
6. What did Lack discover about the finches, and how was it significant?
7. Explain the significance about the year 1983 as described in Chapter 8.
8. How did Darwin react to the finches while he was in the Galapagos and later while he was in England?
9. What was the "most miserable piece of data" Peter Boag ever gathered? Explain.
10. Describe the view from the peak of Daphne Major.
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)