|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter 6, Weiner compares evolution to the motion of which object?
(a) A volcano.
(b) A Jackson Pollock painting.
(c) A kaleidoscope.
(d) A whirligig.
2. Where did Peter Grant pursue his undergraduate degree?
(a) Harvard University.
(b) New York University.
(d) Cambridge University.
3. What color "indicates age and experience" in the male finches' feathers?
4. What do the iguanas in the Galapagos eat?
(a) Croton seeds.
5. Weiner compares the Cactus finch to whom in the beginning of Chapter 2?
(a) The Pilgrims.
(b) The faculty of the University of Michigan.
(c) The Pittsburgh Penguins.
(d) Plains Indians.
Short Answer Questions
1. From how far away do the Grants take photographs of the finches for their research?
2. What does Weiner compare to the "flaming sword at the gates of Eden"?
3. What type of finch is Number 3425?
4. From what bird do the vampire finches drink blood?
5. As mentioned in Chapter 5, which book did Laurene Ratcliffe read while waiting for rain on Daphne Major?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the finch's songs? Explain in detail.
2. What significance did Hermon Carey Bumpus discover in the sparrows' deaths? What significance did Peter Grant see?
3. What difference did Darwin see among the barnacles, and how did he react?
4. What is significant about the hybrid finches discussed in Chapter 8?
5. How do the Grants explain their work to Creationists?
6. Describe the Grants' filing system at Princeton.
7. Explain El Niño and how it affects the Galapagos Islands.
8. What did Lewontin and Birch discover about the Dacus tryoni?
9. Describe some of the unusual finch behaviors during the drought.
10. Describe what Martin Taylor does with the moth samples he receives.
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)