|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did the Grants' team first notice the finches' hybrid breeding?
2. The Grants' research is compared to which novel?
(a) Jane Eyre.
(b) Anna Karenina.
(c) War and Peace.
(d) Great Expectations.
3. As related at the end of Chapter 3, which person sustained an injury from the barnacles on Daphne Major?
(a) Lisle Gibbs.
(b) Ian Abbott.
(c) Peter Grant.
(d) Peter Boag.
4. Which playwright does Weiner quote at the end of Chapter 4?
5. How many species of finch live in the Galapagos Islands?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is quoted in the opening of Chapter 6?
2. Where does Jamie Smith study sparrows?
3. In the dry year, how much bigger was the beak of a surviving finch than that of a dead finch?
4. What caused the heavy rains in December 1982?
5. Cactus finches build their nest to protect themselves from which animal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the appearance of Daphne Major after it stopped raining in Chapter 7.
2. Summarize Endler's guppy experiments.
3. Explain El Niño and how it affects the Galapagos Islands.
4. Compare and contrast evolution as seen through the fossil record and as observed in real time.
5. Discuss the likelihood that two species will hybridize and the probable outcomes of such a hybridization.
6. Explain the occurrence of natural selection that Dolph Schluter found in the sparrows.
7. Explain the significance about the year 1983 as described in Chapter 8.
8. How do the Grants collect blood samples from the finches?
9. Explain Darwin's "eureka" from Chapter 10.
10. Describe the scope and methods of Trevor Price's observation of the finches.
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)