|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What organization did Tjitte de Vries direct?
(a) The Finch Unit.
(b) The Charles Darwin Research Station.
(c) The Environmental Protection Agency.
(d) The Center for Disease Control and Prevention.
2. How many sparrows survived the first population crash that Jamie Smith studied?
3. On which island in the Galapagos archipelago did Darwin land first?
(b) San Cristóbal.
4. How long did Darwin study barnacles?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 7 years.
(c) 25 years.
(d) 6 months.
5. Who has deeply studied the history of studying evolution in the Galapagos Islands?
(a) David Anderson.
(b) Frank J. Sulloway.
(c) William Hamilton.
(d) Peter Boag.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which year was the dry year that is discussed in Chapter 5?
2. Which are the "fittest finches on the island," as discussed in Chapter 8?
3. As described at the end of Chapter 6, for what were Trevor Price and Lisle Gibbs waiting?
4. Which type of animal in the Galapagos has one alpha male that mates with many females?
5. What is the nickname by which Peter calls the finch in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What difference did Darwin see among the barnacles, and how did he react?
2. What was the "most miserable piece of data" Peter Boag ever gathered? Explain.
3. Of what significance is Darwin's Sandwalk to science?
4. Why did Trevor Price wait so impatiently for rain, and how did he respond when it continued not to come?
5. Explain the occurrence of natural selection that Dolph Schluter found in the sparrows.
6. Explain El Niño and how it affects the Galapagos Islands.
7. Describe some of the unusual finch behaviors during the drought.
8. Explain the significance about the year 1983 as described in Chapter 8.
9. How did Darwin react to the finches while he was in the Galapagos and later while he was in England?
10. What is significant about the hybrid finches discussed in Chapter 8?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)