|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which year was the dry year that is discussed in Chapter 5?
2. In Chapter 5, to which mythical figure does Weiner compare the finches?
(a) The Sirens.
3. Which animal did the evolutionist David Lack not consider when formulating his ideas, as mentioned in Chapter 4?
4. From how far away do the Grants take photographs of the finches for their research?
(a) 27 centimeters.
(b) 1 meter.
(c) 53 centimeters.
(d) 91 centimeters.
5. Which classic work of literature did Darwin take with him on his trip to the Galapagos Islands?
(a) Paradise Lost.
(c) The Divine Comedy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which are the "fittest finches on the island," as discussed in Chapter 8?
2. As described at the end of Chapter 6, for what were Trevor Price and Lisle Gibbs waiting?
3. How long have the Grants been conducting research on this island?
4. Which famous writer went to Christ's College before Darwin?
5. In what year did the Grants' team first notice the finches' hybrid breeding?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the significance about the year 1983 as described in Chapter 8.
2. Explain the occurrence of natural selection that Dolph Schluter found in the sparrows.
3. Describe some of the unusual finch behaviors during the drought.
4. Choose one example from the text regarding how humans affect other species, and explain it.
5. What effect do the finches have on cactus flowers?
6. Compare the beaks of Jamie Smith's sparrows with the beaks of the finches.
7. Summarize Weiner's hypothesis on the physical aspect of human consciousness.
8. Explain the Drosophila experiment and its significance.
9. Describe the "soups" Weiner mentions in the epilogue.
10. Why did Trevor Price wait so impatiently for rain, and how did he respond when it continued not to come?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)