|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which animal did the evolutionist David Lack not consider when formulating his ideas, as mentioned in Chapter 4?
2. What does Weiner compare to the "flaming sword at the gates of Eden"?
(a) Natural selection.
(b) El Niño.
(c) Sexual selection.
(d) The principle of divergence.
3. From how far away do the Grants take photographs of the finches for their research?
(a) 27 centimeters.
(b) 53 centimeters.
(c) 1 meter.
(d) 91 centimeters.
4. In Chapter 5, to which mythical figure does Weiner compare the finches?
(a) The Sirens.
5. Who is "the greatest authority on plants of the Galapagos"?
(a) Duncan Porter.
(b) Peter Boag.
(c) Ian Abbott.
(d) David Lack.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many populations of finches did the Grants study during their first year in the Galapagos?
2. What is the name of the village on Santa Cruz?
3. What plants did the Grants find growing on Nuñez?
4. How long did Darwin study barnacles?
5. At what university did Lisle Gibbs study?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Martin Taylor does with the moth samples he receives.
2. Explain the significance about the year 1983 as described in Chapter 8.
3. Why do plants hybridize rather readily?
4. What was Darwin's seed experiment that is discussed in Chapter 9, and how did he carry it out?
5. Explain El Niño and how it affects the Galapagos Islands.
6. Explain the metaphor of the watch and the watchmaker.
7. What is the significance of Darwin's spelling errors for modern science?
8. Describe the act of "speciation" in the haw flies.
9. Explain the significance of black and brown feathers in finch males, as discussed in Chapter 6.
10. Describe what Peter Boag and Laurene Ratcliffe did on Daphne Major while waiting for rain.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)