|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As described at the end of Chapter 6, for what were Trevor Price and Lisle Gibbs waiting?
(a) The dry season.
(c) A bus.
2. In what year did the Grants' team first notice the finches' hybrid breeding?
3. What was the name of the captain of Darwin's ship?
4. How long have the Grants been conducting research on this island?
(a) 12 years.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 20 years.
(d) 30 years.
5. To which of the researchers' objects are finches always attracted?
(a) A bucket of water.
(b) The trash can.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what does Rosemary bait the finch traps?
2. What unusual seed did the Grants find on Genovesa after El Niño?
3. According to Weiner, the woodpecker's beak is similar to what tool?
4. Who devised the metaphor of the watch and the watchmaker?
5. Approximately how many species of plants exist in the Galapagos?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the finches respond to the rain after the intense drought?
2. Explain the occurrence of natural selection that Dolph Schluter found in the sparrows.
3. Summarize the arguments of some of the biologists' early opposition to the theory of evolution.
4. Which Fortis finches survived the drought of 1977, and why?
5. Describe some of the unusual finch behaviors during the drought.
6. Discuss the likelihood that two species will hybridize and the probable outcomes of such a hybridization.
7. What was Darwin's seed experiment that is discussed in Chapter 9, and how did he carry it out?
8. Describe some of the differences between the finch species in the Galapagos.
9. Why did the crew of the Beagle want to stop in the Galapagos, and what did they find there?
10. How do various species get from island to island in the Galapagos? Remember to include examples of both plants and animals.
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)