|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many times did the Croton trees bloom in the rains of 1982-83?
2. In how many portfolios did Charles Darwin store his field notes?
3. Who was Peter Grant's last teacher?
(a) G. Evelyn Hutchinson.
(b) Carolus Linnaeus.
(c) Peter Boag.
(d) David Lack.
4. As of the time of Rosemary's interview in Chapter 8, how many finches were not banded on Daphne Major?
5. In what year did the Grants first go to the Galapagos?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many plants grew in Darwin's cup of dirt?
2. Who is speaking in the first sentence of Chapter 9?
3. Who developed the "principle of divergence"?
4. What was the name of the captain of Darwin's ship?
5. Whose "Thinking Path" is described in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the significance of the Tribulus seed for Darwin's finches.
2. What was the "most miserable piece of data" Peter Boag ever gathered? Explain.
3. Why did Trevor Price wait so impatiently for rain, and how did he respond when it continued not to come?
4. Describe the appearance of Daphne Major after it stopped raining in Chapter 7.
5. Describe the view from the peak of Daphne Major.
6. Explain the significance of black and brown feathers in finch males, as discussed in Chapter 6.
7. Describe the Grants' filing system at Princeton.
8. Why did the crew of the Beagle want to stop in the Galapagos, and what did they find there?
9. What was Darwin's seed experiment that is discussed in Chapter 9, and how did he carry it out?
10. Discuss the likelihood that two species will hybridize and the probable outcomes of such a hybridization.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)