|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Peter Grant pursue his undergraduate degree?
(a) Harvard University.
(c) Cambridge University.
(d) New York University.
2. How many genera of plants did Darwin's friend find in a "small fallow field in Kent"?
3. From what bird do the vampire finches drink blood?
(a) Passenger pigeons.
4. The Grants' research is compared to which novel?
(a) War and Peace.
(b) Jane Eyre.
(c) Great Expectations.
(d) Anna Karenina.
5. What plants did the Grants find growing on Nuñez?
(a) Green beans.
(b) Oak trees.
(d) Flame trees.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which weed does Chapter 4 discuss in detail?
2. According to Weiner, the woodpecker's beak is similar to what tool?
3. What color "indicates age and experience" in the male finches' feathers?
4. How much rain has fallen on the island in the past forty-four months?
5. Cactus finches build their nest to protect themselves from which animal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the significance of black and brown feathers in finch males, as discussed in Chapter 6.
2. Describe the view from the peak of Daphne Major.
3. Explain El Niño and how it affects the Galapagos Islands.
4. What is significant about the hybrid finches discussed in Chapter 8?
5. How did Darwin react to the finches while he was in the Galapagos and later while he was in England?
6. Describe the Grants' filing system at Princeton.
7. What was the "most miserable piece of data" Peter Boag ever gathered? Explain.
8. Summarize Endler's guppy experiments.
9. Explain the occurrence of natural selection that Dolph Schluter found in the sparrows.
10. Under what circumstances do finches drink nectar?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)