|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who analyzed the finch data from the 1970s using partial regression analysis?
(a) Trevor Price.
(b) Peter Boag.
(c) Ian Abbott.
(d) Rosemary Grant.
2. What is the name of the village on Santa Cruz?
(a) Puerto Ayora.
(c) Rapa Nui.
(d) Puerto Vallarta.
3. How many species of Ground finch are there in the Galapagos?
4. How many times did the Croton trees bloom in the rains of 1982-83?
5. What plants did the Grants find growing on Nuñez?
(a) Flame trees.
(b) Green beans.
(d) Oak trees.
Short Answer Questions
1. Approximately how many islands are in the Galapagos Archipelago?
2. In Chapter 5, to which mythical figure does Weiner compare the finches?
3. Where did Peter Grant pursue his undergraduate degree?
4. What unusual seed did the Grants find on Genovesa after El Niño?
5. What animals did Darwin call "imps of darkness"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe some of the differences between the finch species in the Galapagos.
2. Describe the typical method of arrival on Daphne Major.
3. Describe a typical workday for the Grants on Daphne Major.
4. Describe the scope and methods of Trevor Price's observation of the finches.
5. What was the "most miserable piece of data" Peter Boag ever gathered? Explain.
6. What did Lack discover about the finches, and how was it significant?
7. Describe the view from the peak of Daphne Major.
8. Explain the significance of black and brown feathers in finch males, as discussed in Chapter 6.
9. Why did Trevor Price wait so impatiently for rain, and how did he respond when it continued not to come?
10. Explain El Niño and how it affects the Galapagos Islands.
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)