|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of the finch is the tarsus?
2. At what university did Lisle Gibbs study?
(a) Princeton University.
(b) Ohio State University.
(c) Washington University of St. Louis.
(d) University of Michigan.
3. Which animal did the evolutionist David Lack not consider when formulating his ideas, as mentioned in Chapter 4?
4. Of whom does Peter Grant keep newspaper photos on his office door?
(a) A bagpipe player.
(c) Charles Darwin.
(d) Nicola Grant.
5. Who named one finch species "Geospiza incerta," which, according to Weiner, means "ground finch, I guess"?
(a) Peter Grant.
(b) John Gould.
(d) Carolus Linnaeus.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times did Number 3425 breed in 1983?
2. How many times did the Croton trees bloom in the rains of 1982-83?
3. As related at the end of Chapter 3, which person sustained an injury from the barnacles on Daphne Major?
4. What type of bird did Darwin breed back home in England?
5. In what book does Darwin discuss "sexual selection"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain El Niño and how it affects the Galapagos Islands.
2. What was the "most miserable piece of data" Peter Boag ever gathered? Explain.
3. Explain the significance of black and brown feathers in finch males, as discussed in Chapter 6.
4. What did Lack discover about the finches, and how was it significant?
5. How did the finches respond to the rain after the intense drought?
6. Why did the crew of the Beagle want to stop in the Galapagos, and what did they find there?
7. Under what circumstances do finches drink nectar?
8. Compare the beaks of Jamie Smith's sparrows with the beaks of the finches.
9. Describe Darwin's personal life after returning to England.
10. Explain Darwin's "eureka" from Chapter 10.
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)