|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Rosemary spend her childhood?
(b) The Lake District.
2. What type of animal was the Eohippus (or the Hyracotherium)?
3. Who argued against the principle of divergence using the phrase "the Ghost of Competition Past"?
(a) Peter Boag.
(c) David Lack.
(d) Joseph Connell.
4. How old are the oldest finches on the island?
(a) 12 years old.
(b) 13 years old.
(c) 15 years old.
(d) 5 years old.
5. Approximately how many species of plants exist in the Galapagos?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many genera of plants did Darwin's friend find in a "small fallow field in Kent"?
2. What is the name of the village on Santa Cruz?
3. How long was the "Thinking Path"?
4. What Galapagos island is mentioned in the first sentence of Chapter 1?
5. What caused the heavy rains in December 1982?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the crew of the Beagle want to stop in the Galapagos, and what did they find there?
2. Which Fortis finches survived the drought of 1977, and why?
3. Explain El Niño and how it affects the Galapagos Islands.
4. Explain Weiner's assertion that "taxonomists can be classified into splitters and lumpers."
5. How do the Grants collect blood samples from the finches?
6. Summarize the arguments of some of the biologists' early opposition to the theory of evolution.
7. Compare and contrast evolution as seen through the fossil record and as observed in real time.
8. Under what circumstances do finches drink nectar?
9. Compare and contrast the Grants' tools on Daphne Major and their tools at Princeton.
10. Discuss the likelihood that two species will hybridize and the probable outcomes of such a hybridization.
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)