|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Approximately how many species of plants exist in the Galapagos?
2. In what year did the Grants first go to the Galapagos?
3. What unusual seed did the Grants find on Genovesa after El Niño?
(a) Poison apple.
(d) Wild grape.
4. What type of bird did Darwin breed back home in England?
5. What is the name of the village on Santa Cruz?
(a) Rapa Nui.
(b) Puerto Ayora.
(d) Puerto Vallarta.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which biologist thought of Darwin's finches as "not separate species at all, but 'hybrid swarms'"?
2. What normally causes the finches not to eat Chamaesyce?
3. Where do the Grants work in the United States?
4. Which type of fish is discussed at length in Chapter 6?
5. From what bird do the vampire finches drink blood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe a typical workday for the Grants on Daphne Major.
2. How do the Grants explain their work to Creationists?
3. Summarize Gayle Davies' experience with the finches.
4. What was the "most miserable piece of data" Peter Boag ever gathered? Explain.
5. Explain the significance of the Tribulus seed for Darwin's finches.
6. Compare and contrast the Grants' tools on Daphne Major and their tools at Princeton.
7. Why did the crew of the Beagle want to stop in the Galapagos, and what did they find there?
8. Compare the beaks of Jamie Smith's sparrows with the beaks of the finches.
9. Discuss the likelihood that two species will hybridize and the probable outcomes of such a hybridization.
10. Why do plants hybridize rather readily?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)