|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On which island in the Galapagos archipelago did Darwin land first?
(a) San Cristóbal.
2. With what does Rosemary bait the finch traps?
(c) Seal blubber.
3. What was the name of the boat by which the Grants traveled from island to island, as mentioned in Chapter 8?
(a) The Flamingo.
(b) The Enforcer.
(c) The Sea Lion.
(d) The Grossbeak.
4. Approximately how many islands are in the Galapagos Archipelago?
5. According to chapter 9, what percentage of the birds on Darwin's property were killed in the cold weather?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has deeply studied the history of studying evolution in the Galapagos Islands?
2. Who was Peter Grant's last teacher?
3. Who created the concept of the "darwin"?
4. Who is speaking in the first sentence of Chapter 9?
5. How much rain has fallen on the island in the past forty-four months?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the hybrid finches discussed in Chapter 8?
2. Explain El Niño and how it affects the Galapagos Islands.
3. Explain the significance of black and brown feathers in finch males, as discussed in Chapter 6.
4. Explain Darwin's "eureka" from Chapter 10.
5. Why did Trevor Price wait so impatiently for rain, and how did he respond when it continued not to come?
6. Describe the scope and methods of Trevor Price's observation of the finches.
7. What was Darwin's seed experiment that is discussed in Chapter 9, and how did he carry it out?
8. Discuss the likelihood that two species will hybridize and the probable outcomes of such a hybridization.
9. Compare and contrast the Grants' tools on Daphne Major and their tools at Princeton.
10. How did the finches respond to the rain after the intense drought?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)