|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Ernst Mayr, what animal has "specialized in despecialization"?
(b) Giant pandas.
2. On which island do humans not normally live?
(a) Santa Cruz.
(b) San Cristóbal.
3. What do the Grants keep in the freezer in the "sub-subbasement'?
(b) Ice core samples.
(c) Blood samples.
4. Where did Darwin pick up the second volume of Principles of Geology?
(b) Buenos Aires.
5. Where did Darwin find the finch Magnirostris magnirostris?
(b) San Cristóbal.
(d) Santa Cruz.
6. In chapter 16, Weiner compares evolutionists to characters in which classic story?
(a) Donnie Darko.
(c) Gulliver's Travels.
(d) A Christmas Carol.
7. Who draws a chart at the end of Chapter 14?
(a) Trevor Price.
(b) Martin Taylor.
(c) Peter and Rosemary.
(d) Peter Boag and Laurene Ratcliffe.
8. Which Babylonian king "saw the writing on the wall"?
9. What do Crossbills eat?
(c) The seeds in pinecones.
10. How many species of Cichlid live in Lake Victoria?
11. Which animal did Lewontin and Birch study?
(d) Fruit fly.
12. On what drenched island near the equator do finches live, as mentioned in Chapter 19?
(b) Rapa Nui.
13. What animal does the Hawaiian Drosophila Project study?
(a) Fruit bats.
(b) Fruit flies.
(d) Manta rays.
14. How much rain fell in the driest year on Daphne Major?
(b) 6 millimeters.
(c) 5 meters.
(d) 70 millimeters.
15. What animal does Scott Carroll study?
(a) The soapberry bug.
(b) The tsetse fly.
(c) The water buffalo.
(d) The English bulldog.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote the book The Blind Watchmaker?
2. What is different from farm to farm in the Mississippi Delta?
3. Where is Anvers Island?
4. How long did it take flies to develop resistance to the "resistance-proof" pesticides introduced in 1967?
5. What is the name of the Charles Darwin Research Station's journal?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)