|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the Charles Darwin Research Station's journal?
(a) Noticias del Mar.
(b) Darwin Daily.
(c) Noticias de Galapagos.
(d) Imprimatur Evolutionii.
2. Which plant has dominated Daphne Major since the flood?
3. What color was the moth Biston betularia in the early 1800s?
(a) Bluish green.
4. What does the Latin word "specere" mean?
(a) To sing.
(b) To be speckled.
(c) To specify.
(d) To see.
5. As witnessed by Hermon Carey Bumpus, which birds died en masse after a blizzard?
(a) English sparrows.
6. Whom did Darwin commission to breed unusual combinations of pigeons?
(a) Sir John Sebright.
(b) John Sewall.
(c) Arthur Conan Doyle.
(d) Lord Byron.
7. How many mating songs does each species of finch have?
8. What type of computer does Rosemary use?
(b) Hewlett Packard.
9. In what state did Benjamin Walsh build his homestead?
(a) West Virginia.
10. Who draws a chart at the end of Chapter 14?
(a) Martin Taylor.
(b) Peter Boag and Laurene Ratcliffe.
(c) Trevor Price.
(d) Peter and Rosemary.
11. According to Ernst Mayr, what animal has "specialized in despecialization"?
(c) Giant pandas.
12. Which Babylonian king "saw the writing on the wall"?
13. What do the Grants keep in the freezer in the "sub-subbasement'?
(a) Blood samples.
(b) Ice core samples.
14. What part of the human is comparable to the finch's beak, according to Weiner?
(a) The mind.
(b) The hand.
(c) The digestive tract.
(d) The eye.
15. What is the name of the mutant gene that helps flies resist DDT?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which scientist is mentioned in Chapter 14 as strongly advocating the need for measurement in science?
2. What book is quoted at the beginning of Chapter 15?
3. In chapter 15, Weiner discusses the growth of which microbe in a Petri dish?
4. What do Crossbills eat?
5. Who appears in Chapter 15 separating DNA in plastic bags?
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)