|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the first paragraph of Chapter 11, Darwin is discussing the hybridization of which animal?
2. What is the painting called that Henry Stacy Marks created?
(b) Experiments in Ornithology.
(c) The Birdwatcher's Evening.
(d) Science Is Measurement.
3. Which Greek philosopher is quoted at the end of Chapter 13?
4. What animal does Scott Carroll study?
(a) The tsetse fly.
(b) The English bulldog.
(c) The water buffalo.
(d) The soapberry bug.
5. What do the Grants keep in the freezer in the "sub-subbasement'?
(a) Ice core samples.
(b) Blood samples.
6. What does the illustration in The Origin of Species depict?
(a) The "tree of life."
(b) An iguana.
(c) A mockingbird.
(d) London Bridge.
7. Chapter 17 showcases the evolution of which mammal?
8. How much rain fell in the driest year on Daphne Major?
(a) 70 millimeters.
(c) 5 meters.
(d) 6 millimeters.
9. What is "one of the greatest remaining mysteries in biology," according to Weiner?
(a) Human consciousness.
(b) Origins of the universe.
(c) The missing link.
10. How many E. coli bacteria can grow from one bacterium within eight hours?
(c) 10 million.
(d) 20 million.
11. What does the Latin word "specere" mean?
(a) To specify.
(b) To be speckled.
(c) To see.
(d) To sing.
12. From where does Martin Taylor collect his moth specimens?
(a) The Bible Belt.
(b) The Pacific Northwest.
(c) The Midwest.
(d) The East Coast.
13. Approximately how many species of birds are there in the world?
14. Which animal did Lewontin and Birch study?
(b) Fruit fly.
15. According to Ernst Mayr, what animal has "specialized in despecialization"?
(d) Giant pandas.
Short Answer Questions
1. Weiner states in Chapter 14 that the finches are like which work of art?
2. For what university did the drosophilists discussed in Chapter 12 work?
3. Who wrote the article on global warming that is discussed in Chapter 18?
4. Which plant has dominated Daphne Major since the flood?
5. What does the Latin word "reticulum" mean?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)