|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom did Darwin commission to breed unusual combinations of pigeons?
(a) Lord Byron.
(b) John Sewall.
(c) Sir John Sebright.
(d) Arthur Conan Doyle.
2. What is different from farm to farm in the Mississippi Delta?
(a) Mosquito density.
(d) Crop circles.
3. Who draws a chart at the end of Chapter 14?
(a) Peter and Rosemary.
(b) Peter Boag and Laurene Ratcliffe.
(c) Martin Taylor.
(d) Trevor Price.
4. What type of computer does Rosemary use?
(a) Hewlett Packard.
5. When did the ancestors of humans start to walk?
(a) 40 million years ago.
(b) 200,000 years ago.
(c) 8000 years ago.
(d) 6-7 million years ago.
6. What plant did the botanist Edgar Anderson study in the Ozarks?
(b) Creeping phlox.
7. What does an old woman in Puerto Ayora eat to avenge herself against the finches?
(a) Finch soup.
(b) Cacabus seeds.
(c) Tribulus seeds.
(d) Rotisserie finch.
8. How many people carry the bacteria that causes tuberculosis?
(a) 1 in 4.
(b) 1 in 6.
(c) 1 in 3.
(d) 1 in 9.
9. Which animal did Lewontin and Birch study?
(c) Fruit fly.
10. What animal does Scott Carroll study?
(a) The tsetse fly.
(b) The water buffalo.
(c) The soapberry bug.
(d) The English bulldog.
11. In what state did Benjamin Walsh build his homestead?
(d) West Virginia.
12. On which island do humans not normally live?
(b) Santa Cruz.
(c) San Cristóbal.
13. In the first paragraph of Chapter 11, Darwin is discussing the hybridization of which animal?
14. How long did it take flies to develop resistance to the "resistance-proof" pesticides introduced in 1967?
(a) 18 months.
(b) 3 months.
(c) 10 years.
(d) 5 years.
15. Who has catalogued Darwin's spelling mistakes?
(a) Frank J. Sulloway.
(b) Sir John Sebright.
(c) Jackson Pollock.
(d) Rosemary Grant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the painting called that Henry Stacy Marks created?
2. What type of bird is the Crossbill?
3. Who wrote the article on global warming that is discussed in Chapter 18?
4. On what drenched island near the equator do finches live, as mentioned in Chapter 19?
5. Who appears in Chapter 15 separating DNA in plastic bags?
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)