|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who has catalogued Darwin's spelling mistakes?
(a) Frank J. Sulloway.
(b) Jackson Pollock.
(c) Rosemary Grant.
(d) Sir John Sebright.
2. What does the illustration in The Origin of Species depict?
(a) A mockingbird.
(b) London Bridge.
(c) The "tree of life."
(d) An iguana.
3. For what university did the drosophilists discussed in Chapter 12 work?
(a) Harvard University.
(b) New York University.
(c) University of Michigan.
(d) Rockefeller University.
4. In chapter 15, Weiner discusses the growth of which microbe in a Petri dish?
(b) E. coli.
(d) Ebola virus.
5. According to Ernst Mayr, what animal has "specialized in despecialization"?
(d) Giant pandas.
6. What does the Latin word "reticulum" mean?
7. What type of computer does Rosemary use?
(b) Hewlett Packard.
8. Who wrote the book The Blind Watchmaker?
(a) Rob Bell.
(b) Mark Powell.
(c) Thomas Aquinas.
(d) Richard Dawkins.
9. What does the Latin word "specere" mean?
(a) To see.
(b) To sing.
(c) To specify.
(d) To be speckled.
10. What is the name of the librarian of the Charles Darwin Research Station?
(a) Gayle Davies.
(b) Ginger Jones.
(c) Doris Jackson.
(d) Dorothy Sayers.
11. What is "one of the greatest remaining mysteries in biology," according to Weiner?
(a) The missing link.
(c) Human consciousness.
(d) Origins of the universe.
12. Where did Darwin find the finch Magnirostris magnirostris?
(b) San Cristóbal.
(c) Santa Cruz.
13. Which Babylonian king "saw the writing on the wall"?
14. On which island do humans not normally live?
(a) San Cristóbal.
(c) Santa Cruz.
15. In what state did Benjamin Walsh build his homestead?
(a) West Virginia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does an old woman in Puerto Ayora eat to avenge herself against the finches?
2. Weiner states in Chapter 14 that the finches are like which work of art?
3. As mentioned in Chapter 16, Darwin states that which bird landed on his water pitcher?
4. Who made the statement about Cleopatra's nose that is quoted in Chapter 11?
5. Who draws a chart at the end of Chapter 14?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)