|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who made the statement about Cleopatra's nose that is quoted in Chapter 11?
(d) Isaac Newton.
2. On which island do humans not normally live?
(b) San Cristóbal.
(d) Santa Cruz.
3. How many E. coli bacteria can grow from one bacterium within eight hours?
(b) 10 million.
(d) 20 million.
4. Which scientist is mentioned in Chapter 14 as strongly advocating the need for measurement in science?
(a) Blaise Pascal.
(b) Louis Pasteur.
(c) Marie Curie.
(d) Lord Kelvin.
5. What part of the human is comparable to the finch's beak, according to Weiner?
(a) The mind.
(b) The digestive tract.
(c) The hand.
(d) The eye.
6. What does the Latin word "specere" mean?
(a) To see.
(b) To be speckled.
(c) To sing.
(d) To specify.
7. Who wrote the book The Blind Watchmaker?
(a) Thomas Aquinas.
(b) Mark Powell.
(c) Rob Bell.
(d) Richard Dawkins.
8. In chapter 15, Weiner discusses the growth of which microbe in a Petri dish?
(a) Ebola virus.
(d) E. coli.
9. What color was the moth Biston betularia in the early 1800s?
(a) Bluish green.
10. What does the illustration in The Origin of Species depict?
(a) A mockingbird.
(b) The "tree of life."
(c) An iguana.
(d) London Bridge.
11. Who draws a chart at the end of Chapter 14?
(a) Peter and Rosemary.
(b) Peter Boag and Laurene Ratcliffe.
(c) Trevor Price.
(d) Martin Taylor.
12. What type of bird is the Crossbill?
13. From where does Martin Taylor collect his moth specimens?
(a) The Pacific Northwest.
(b) The East Coast.
(c) The Midwest.
(d) The Bible Belt.
14. Where is Anvers Island?
(a) In the Baltic.
(b) Near the British Isles.
(c) In the South Pacific.
(d) In the Antarctic.
15. How many species of finch are there in Hawaii?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Darwin find the finch Magnirostris magnirostris?
2. What book is quoted at the beginning of Chapter 15?
3. What type of computer does Rosemary use?
4. Which Greek philosopher is quoted at the end of Chapter 13?
5. In what state did Benjamin Walsh build his homestead?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)