|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom did Darwin commission to breed unusual combinations of pigeons?
(a) John Sewall.
(b) Arthur Conan Doyle.
(c) Lord Byron.
(d) Sir John Sebright.
2. What animal does the Hawaiian Drosophila Project study?
(a) Fruit bats.
(b) Fruit flies.
(c) Manta rays.
3. How many species of Cichlid live in Lake Victoria?
4. Who has catalogued Darwin's spelling mistakes?
(a) Sir John Sebright.
(b) Rosemary Grant.
(c) Jackson Pollock.
(d) Frank J. Sulloway.
5. Approximately how many species of birds are there in the world?
6. What animal does Scott Carroll study?
(a) The soapberry bug.
(b) The water buffalo.
(c) The English bulldog.
(d) The tsetse fly.
7. On which island do humans not normally live?
(b) San Cristóbal.
(c) Santa Cruz.
8. What book is quoted at the beginning of Chapter 15?
(a) The Iliad.
9. In the first paragraph of Chapter 11, Darwin is discussing the hybridization of which animal?
10. What color was the moth Biston betularia in the early 1800s?
(d) Bluish green.
11. In chapter 15, Weiner discusses the growth of which microbe in a Petri dish?
(b) Ebola virus.
(c) E. coli.
12. Who appears in Chapter 15 separating DNA in plastic bags?
(a) Trevor Price.
(b) Peter Grant.
(c) Peter Boag.
(d) Dolph Schluter.
13. What does the Latin word "reticulum" mean?
14. In what state did Benjamin Walsh build his homestead?
(b) West Virginia.
15. How long did it take flies to develop resistance to the "resistance-proof" pesticides introduced in 1967?
(a) 18 months.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 10 years.
(d) 3 months.
Short Answer Questions
1. As mentioned in Chapter 16, Darwin states that which bird landed on his water pitcher?
2. For what university did the drosophilists discussed in Chapter 12 work?
3. What is the name of the librarian of the Charles Darwin Research Station?
4. What does the illustration in The Origin of Species depict?
5. Who made the statement about Cleopatra's nose that is quoted in Chapter 11?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)