|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of the human is comparable to the finch's beak, according to Weiner?
(a) The digestive tract.
(b) The hand.
(c) The eye.
(d) The mind.
2. Who wrote the book The Blind Watchmaker?
(a) Mark Powell.
(b) Thomas Aquinas.
(c) Richard Dawkins.
(d) Rob Bell.
3. How much rain fell in the driest year on Daphne Major?
(a) 6 millimeters.
(b) 70 millimeters.
(c) 5 meters.
4. As mentioned in Chapter 16, Darwin states that which bird landed on his water pitcher?
5. What is "one of the greatest remaining mysteries in biology," according to Weiner?
(a) Origins of the universe.
(b) The missing link.
(c) Human consciousness.
6. Which Babylonian king "saw the writing on the wall"?
7. Which animal did Lewontin and Birch study?
(a) Fruit fly.
8. Chapter 17 showcases the evolution of which mammal?
9. What animal does the Hawaiian Drosophila Project study?
(a) Fruit flies.
(b) Manta rays.
(d) Fruit bats.
10. In chapter 15, Weiner discusses the growth of which microbe in a Petri dish?
(a) Ebola virus.
(c) E. coli.
11. In what month do cacti on Daphne Major start to bloom?
12. Weiner states in Chapter 14 that the finches are like which work of art?
(a) Michelangelo's Prisoners.
13. How long did it take flies to develop resistance to the "resistance-proof" pesticides introduced in 1967?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 18 months.
(c) 3 months.
(d) 5 years.
14. In chapter 16, Weiner compares evolutionists to characters in which classic story?
(a) Donnie Darko.
(b) Gulliver's Travels.
(c) A Christmas Carol.
15. Who is studying the Sticklebacks?
(a) Dolph Schluter.
(b) Chris Chaplin.
(c) Peter Boag.
(d) Trevor Price.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the painting called that Henry Stacy Marks created?
2. Which scientist is mentioned in Chapter 14 as strongly advocating the need for measurement in science?
3. What is the name of the Charles Darwin Research Station's journal?
4. What does the illustration in The Origin of Species depict?
5. How many mating songs does each species of finch have?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)