|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which Greek philosopher is quoted at the end of Chapter 13?
2. What is the name of the librarian of the Charles Darwin Research Station?
(a) Dorothy Sayers.
(b) Doris Jackson.
(c) Gayle Davies.
(d) Ginger Jones.
3. In chapter 16, Weiner compares evolutionists to characters in which classic story?
(a) Gulliver's Travels.
(c) A Christmas Carol.
(d) Donnie Darko.
4. When did the ancestors of humans start to walk?
(a) 40 million years ago.
(b) 8000 years ago.
(c) 200,000 years ago.
(d) 6-7 million years ago.
5. Which Babylonian king "saw the writing on the wall"?
6. What do the Grants keep in the freezer in the "sub-subbasement'?
(a) Ice core samples.
(c) Blood samples.
7. Who has catalogued Darwin's spelling mistakes?
(a) Jackson Pollock.
(b) Frank J. Sulloway.
(c) Sir John Sebright.
(d) Rosemary Grant.
8. In what month do cacti on Daphne Major start to bloom?
9. What does an old woman in Puerto Ayora eat to avenge herself against the finches?
(a) Cacabus seeds.
(b) Rotisserie finch.
(c) Finch soup.
(d) Tribulus seeds.
10. What animal does Scott Carroll study?
(a) The English bulldog.
(b) The water buffalo.
(c) The soapberry bug.
(d) The tsetse fly.
11. What is the painting called that Henry Stacy Marks created?
(a) Science Is Measurement.
(b) Experiments in Ornithology.
(c) The Birdwatcher's Evening.
12. How many people carry the bacteria that causes tuberculosis?
(a) 1 in 4.
(b) 1 in 9.
(c) 1 in 3.
(d) 1 in 6.
13. On which island do humans not normally live?
(b) Santa Cruz.
(d) San Cristóbal.
14. How much rain fell in the driest year on Daphne Major?
(a) 5 meters.
(b) 70 millimeters.
(d) 6 millimeters.
15. How many species of Cichlid live in Lake Victoria?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Charles Darwin Research Station's journal?
2. In chapter 15, Weiner discusses the growth of which microbe in a Petri dish?
3. Whom did Darwin commission to breed unusual combinations of pigeons?
4. As mentioned in Chapter 16, Darwin states that which bird landed on his water pitcher?
5. What color was the moth Biston betularia in the early 1800s?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)