|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Chapter 8 mentions that Peter has to deliver a lecture in which country?
2. Where does Jamie Smith study sparrows?
(a) British Columbia.
3. According to chapter 9, what percentage of the birds on Darwin's property were killed in the cold weather?
4. Who gave the lecture "The Demonstrative Evidence of Evolution"?
(a) David Lack.
(b) Thomas Henry Huxley.
(c) William Paley.
(d) Charles Darwin.
5. What is the name of the instrument the Grants use to measure the hardness of the seeds the finches eat?
(a) The McGill barometer.
(b) The Princeton omni-tool.
(d) The McGill nutcracker.
6. In the dry year, how much bigger was the beak of a surviving finch than that of a dead finch?
(a) Half a millimeter.
(b) Two millimeters.
(c) Three millimeters.
(d) One millimeter.
7. What is the name of the building where Peter and Rosemary have their offices?
(a) Ezell Laboratories.
(b) Darwin Center of Science.
(c) Baker Hall.
(d) Eno Hall.
8. Which playwright does Weiner quote at the end of Chapter 4?
9. What type of finch is Number 3425?
(a) Cactus finch.
(b) Ground finch.
(c) Tree finch.
10. Which type of animal in the Galapagos has one alpha male that mates with many females?
(b) Sea lion.
11. Where did John Endler build his experimental ponds?
(a) University of Manitoba.
(b) Princeton University.
(c) Yale University.
(d) University of Michigan.
12. What does the Difficilis on the Pinta eat?
(a) Grass seeds.
(b) Tribulus seeds.
13. Which year was the dry year that is discussed in Chapter 5?
14. As mentioned in Chapter 5, which book did Laurene Ratcliffe read while waiting for rain on Daphne Major?
(a) The Agony and the Ecstasy.
(b) A Streetcar Named Desire.
(c) Waiting for Godot.
(d) The Sound and the Fury.
15. As Chapter 5 ends, Weiner mentions which food that Darwin ate in the Galapagos?
Short Answer Questions
1. What color "indicates age and experience" in the male finches' feathers?
2. What Galapagos island is mentioned in the first sentence of Chapter 1?
3. Where do the Grants work in the United States?
4. What does Weiner compare to the "flaming sword at the gates of Eden"?
5. With what does Rosemary bait the finch traps?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)