|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which biologist thought of Darwin's finches as "not separate species at all, but 'hybrid swarms'"?
(a) David Lack.
(b) Percy R. Lowe.
(c) Jamie Smith.
(d) Peter Boag.
2. What does the Difficilis on the Pinta eat?
(c) Grass seeds.
(d) Tribulus seeds.
3. With what does Rosemary bait the finch traps?
(a) Seal blubber.
4. In chapter 6, Weiner compares evolution to the motion of which object?
(a) A whirligig.
(b) A Jackson Pollock painting.
(c) A kaleidoscope.
(d) A volcano.
5. Who devised the idea of "adaptive landscapes"?
(a) Sewall Wright.
(b) Trevor Price.
(c) Ian Abbott.
(d) Phillip Gingerich.
6. In what year was the Charles Darwin Research Station founded?
7. How many genera of plants did Darwin's friend find in a "small fallow field in Kent"?
8. How many species of Ground finch are there in the Galapagos?
9. As of the time of Rosemary's interview in Chapter 8, how many finches were not banded on Daphne Major?
10. According to chapter 9, what percentage of the birds on Darwin's property were killed in the cold weather?
11. The Grants' research is compared to which novel?
(a) War and Peace.
(b) Anna Karenina.
(c) Great Expectations.
(d) Jane Eyre.
12. How long was the "Thinking Path"?
(a) .25 miles.
(b) 1 mile.
(c) 2 miles.
(d) .5 miles.
13. Which year was the dry year that is discussed in Chapter 5?
14. Where did John Endler build his experimental ponds?
(a) University of Michigan.
(b) University of Manitoba.
(c) Yale University.
(d) Princeton University.
15. How many species of finch live in the Galapagos Islands?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the building where Peter and Rosemary have their offices?
2. Who named one finch species "Geospiza incerta," which, according to Weiner, means "ground finch, I guess"?
3. From how far away do the Grants take photographs of the finches for their research?
4. Who devised the metaphor of the watch and the watchmaker?
5. What is the nickname by which Peter calls the finch in Chapter 1?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)