|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the village on Santa Cruz?
(a) Puerto Ayora.
(b) Rapa Nui.
(c) Puerto Vallarta.
2. Who named one finch species "Geospiza incerta," which, according to Weiner, means "ground finch, I guess"?
(a) Carolus Linnaeus.
(c) John Gould.
(d) Peter Grant.
3. Cactus finches build their nest to protect themselves from which animal?
4. What Galapagos island is mentioned in the first sentence of Chapter 1?
(b) Sin Nombre.
(c) Daphne Major.
5. How much rain fell on the day the severe drought ended, as mentioned in Chapter 5?
(a) Fifty millimeters.
(b) One inch.
(c) Two inches.
(d) Thirty millimeters.
6. What normally causes the finches not to eat Chamaesyce?
(a) Its hardness.
(b) Its thorns.
(c) Its furry exterior.
(d) Its latex substance.
7. As of the time of Rosemary's interview in Chapter 8, how many finches were not banded on Daphne Major?
8. What type of bird suffered on Genovesa during the rains of 1982-83?
9. Who is "the greatest authority on plants of the Galapagos"?
(a) Duncan Porter.
(b) Ian Abbott.
(c) Peter Boag.
(d) David Lack.
10. As described at the end of Chapter 6, for what were Trevor Price and Lisle Gibbs waiting?
(a) A bus.
(d) The dry season.
11. As related at the end of Chapter 3, which person sustained an injury from the barnacles on Daphne Major?
(a) Peter Grant.
(b) Lisle Gibbs.
(c) Peter Boag.
(d) Ian Abbott.
12. According to chapter 9, what percentage of the birds on Darwin's property were killed in the cold weather?
13. According to Weiner, the woodpecker's beak is similar to what tool?
14. Who is quoted in the opening of Chapter 6?
(a) John Donne.
(b) William Shakespeare.
(c) Joseph Hooker.
(d) Thomas Henry Huxley.
15. What was the name of the boat by which the Grants traveled from island to island, as mentioned in Chapter 8?
(a) The Enforcer.
(b) The Sea Lion.
(c) The Grossbeak.
(d) The Flamingo.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which book is quoted at the beginning of Chapter 10?
2. What is the name of the instrument the Grants use to measure the hardness of the seeds the finches eat?
3. Who helped Jamie Smith analyze his data on sparrows?
4. How many species of Ground finch are there in the Galapagos?
5. Who devised the metaphor of the watch and the watchmaker?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)