|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which animal did the evolutionist David Lack not consider when formulating his ideas, as mentioned in Chapter 4?
2. How many species of finch live in the Galapagos Islands?
3. What is the name of the animal resulting from the cross between a male horse and a female donkey?
(d) Miniature horse.
4. What book did Darwin call his "Big Book"?
(b) War and Peace.
(c) The Voyage of the Beagle.
(d) The Origin of Species.
5. What animals did Darwin call "imps of darkness"?
(d) Sea lions.
6. Where did John Endler build his experimental ponds?
(a) University of Michigan.
(b) Princeton University.
(c) University of Manitoba.
(d) Yale University.
7. Which classic work of literature did Darwin take with him on his trip to the Galapagos Islands?
(a) The Divine Comedy.
(b) Paradise Lost.
8. What organism did Darwin's colleague Joseph Hooker study?
(a) Bracket fungi.
(d) Sea cucumbers.
9. Who analyzed the finch data from the 1970s using partial regression analysis?
(a) Peter Boag.
(b) Trevor Price.
(c) Rosemary Grant.
(d) Ian Abbott.
10. What part of the finch is the tarsus?
11. In Chapter 6, what does Weiner compare to a Petri dish?
(a) New York City.
(b) Daphne Major.
12. Cactus finches build their nest to protect themselves from which animal?
13. Weiner compares the finches' hunt for seeds to which human food?
(b) Potato chips.
14. How many times did Number 3425 breed in 1983?
15. Which biologist thought of Darwin's finches as "not separate species at all, but 'hybrid swarms'"?
(a) Percy R. Lowe.
(b) David Lack.
(c) Peter Boag.
(d) Jamie Smith.
Short Answer Questions
1. As of the time of Rosemary's interview in Chapter 8, how many finches were not banded on Daphne Major?
2. As discussed in Chapter 4, which of the finches' traits did Peter Boag study for his thesis?
3. Who has deeply studied the history of studying evolution in the Galapagos Islands?
4. From what bird do the vampire finches drink blood?
5. Chapter 8 mentions that Peter has to deliver a lecture in which country?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)