|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who, when observing Darwin's finches in museums, noticed the many differences in the birds' beaks?
(a) Osbert Salvin.
(b) Percy R. Lowe.
(c) William Paley.
(d) David Lack.
2. Which animal did one finch attack during the dry year?
(a) A hawk.
(b) A black lizard.
(c) A sea lion.
(d) A mockingbird.
3. Which weed does Chapter 4 discuss in detail?
(a) Lemon grass.
4. As Rosemary relates, what sometimes causes a bamboo pole to become unexpectedly heavy as one carries it?
(b) An eagle.
(c) An iguana.
(d) A hawk.
5. In what year did the Grants first go to the Galapagos?
6. What normally causes the finches not to eat Chamaesyce?
(a) Its thorns.
(b) Its furry exterior.
(c) Its latex substance.
(d) Its hardness.
7. Approximately how many species of plants exist in the Galapagos?
8. Who is "the greatest authority on plants of the Galapagos"?
(a) David Lack.
(b) Duncan Porter.
(c) Ian Abbott.
(d) Peter Boag.
9. Where did John Endler build his experimental ponds?
(a) University of Manitoba.
(b) Princeton University.
(c) Yale University.
(d) University of Michigan.
10. What is the name of the village on Santa Cruz?
(a) Puerto Vallarta.
(c) Rapa Nui.
(d) Puerto Ayora.
11. What is the name of the building where Peter and Rosemary have their offices?
(a) Ezell Laboratories.
(b) Darwin Center of Science.
(c) Eno Hall.
(d) Baker Hall.
12. Of whom does Peter Grant keep newspaper photos on his office door?
(a) Charles Darwin.
(b) A bagpipe player.
(d) Nicola Grant.
13. What color is the beak of a finch that is about to mate?
14. As related at the end of Chapter 3, which person sustained an injury from the barnacles on Daphne Major?
(a) Peter Boag.
(b) Peter Grant.
(c) Lisle Gibbs.
(d) Ian Abbott.
15. According to chapter 9, what percentage of the birds on Darwin's property were killed in the cold weather?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote the book Natural Selection in the Wild?
2. What is the nickname by which Peter calls the finch in Chapter 1?
3. What is the name of the instrument the Grants use to measure the hardness of the seeds the finches eat?
4. What type of bird suffered on Genovesa during the rains of 1982-83?
5. In chapter 6, Weiner compares evolution to the motion of which object?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)