|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who created the concept of the "darwin"?
(a) Trevor Price.
(b) Charles Darwin.
(c) J.B.S. Haldane.
(d) Peter Grant.
2. How much rain has fallen on the island in the past forty-four months?
(a) 500 inches.
(b) 5 inches.
(c) 1/5 of an inch.
(d) 50 inches.
3. Where did John Endler build his experimental ponds?
(a) University of Michigan.
(b) University of Manitoba.
(c) Princeton University.
(d) Yale University.
4. Whose "Thinking Path" is described in Chapter 9?
(a) John Milton's.
(c) Peter Grant's.
(d) David Lack's.
5. Where did Rosemary spend her childhood?
(b) The Lake District.
6. Which playwright does Weiner quote at the end of Chapter 4?
7. What plants did the Grants find growing on Nuñez?
(a) Flame trees.
(c) Green beans.
(d) Oak trees.
8. Who analyzed the finch data from the 1970s using partial regression analysis?
(a) Peter Boag.
(b) Ian Abbott.
(c) Trevor Price.
(d) Rosemary Grant.
9. As Rosemary relates, what sometimes causes a bamboo pole to become unexpectedly heavy as one carries it?
(a) An iguana.
(b) A hawk.
(d) An eagle.
10. Who developed the "principle of divergence"?
(a) Carolus Linnaeus.
(b) Trevor Price.
(d) David Lack.
11. Which animal did the evolutionist David Lack not consider when formulating his ideas, as mentioned in Chapter 4?
12. Who devised the metaphor of the watch and the watchmaker?
(b) William Paley.
(c) William Shakespeare.
(d) Joseph Hooker.
13. According to chapter 9, what percentage of the birds on Darwin's property were killed in the cold weather?
14. What normally causes the finches not to eat Chamaesyce?
(a) Its furry exterior.
(b) Its latex substance.
(c) Its thorns.
(d) Its hardness.
15. Approximately how many species of plants exist in the Galapagos?
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of finch is Number 3425?
2. From what bird do the vampire finches drink blood?
3. Which famous writer went to Christ's College before Darwin?
4. Which year was the dry year that is discussed in Chapter 5?
5. As mentioned in Chapter 5, which book did Laurene Ratcliffe read while waiting for rain on Daphne Major?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)