|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the animal resulting from the cross between a male horse and a female donkey?
(d) Miniature horse.
2. How long have the Grants been conducting research on this island?
(a) 30 years.
(b) 20 years.
(c) 12 years.
(d) 5 years.
3. Who was Peter Grant's last teacher?
(a) Peter Boag.
(b) G. Evelyn Hutchinson.
(c) David Lack.
(d) Carolus Linnaeus.
4. As described at the end of Chapter 6, for what were Trevor Price and Lisle Gibbs waiting?
(b) A bus.
(d) The dry season.
5. Who devised the metaphor of the watch and the watchmaker?
(b) William Paley.
(c) William Shakespeare.
(d) Joseph Hooker.
6. What unusual seed did the Grants find on Genovesa after El Niño?
(c) Poison apple.
(d) Wild grape.
7. Who has deeply studied the history of studying evolution in the Galapagos Islands?
(a) Frank J. Sulloway.
(b) David Anderson.
(c) William Hamilton.
(d) Peter Boag.
8. Which of the following is not a predator mentioned in Chapter 6?
(d) Rivulus hartii.
9. Who helped Jamie Smith analyze his data on sparrows?
(a) Ian Abbott.
(b) Peter Grant.
(c) Peter Boag.
(d) Dolph Schluter.
10. Who argued against the principle of divergence using the phrase "the Ghost of Competition Past"?
(a) Peter Boag.
(b) David Lack.
(c) Joseph Connell.
11. What Galapagos island is mentioned in the first sentence of Chapter 1?
(a) Daphne Major.
(c) Sin Nombre.
12. How many species of Ground finch are there in the Galapagos?
13. Which type of animal in the Galapagos has one alpha male that mates with many females?
(a) Sea lion.
14. What animal does Weiner describe as having "the body plan of a volcano"?
15. As discussed in Chapter 4, which of the finches' traits did Peter Boag study for his thesis?
(a) Tarsus length.
(b) Resistance to disease.
(d) Survival mechanisms.
Short Answer Questions
1. On which island in the Galapagos archipelago did Darwin land first?
2. How many eggs did the best-breeding finch lay in the rainy season?
3. According to chapter 9, what percentage of the birds on Darwin's property were killed in the cold weather?
4. What part of the finch is the tarsus?
5. What was the name of Darwin's grandfather?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)