|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much rain has fallen on the island in the past forty-four months?
(a) 50 inches.
(b) 1/5 of an inch.
(c) 5 inches.
(d) 500 inches.
2. What was the name of Darwin's grandfather?
3. What type of bird suffered on Genovesa during the rains of 1982-83?
4. According to Weiner, the woodpecker's beak is similar to what tool?
5. What organization did Tjitte de Vries direct?
(a) The Charles Darwin Research Station.
(b) The Environmental Protection Agency.
(c) The Center for Disease Control and Prevention.
(d) The Finch Unit.
6. In Chapter 6, what does Weiner compare to a Petri dish?
(a) Daphne Major.
(d) New York City.
7. In what book does Darwin discuss "sexual selection"?
(a) The Descent of Man.
(b) The Origin of Species.
(c) Journals and Remarks.
(d) Zoology of the Voyage of the H.M.S. Beagle.
8. Who named one finch species "Geospiza incerta," which, according to Weiner, means "ground finch, I guess"?
(b) John Gould.
(c) Peter Grant.
(d) Carolus Linnaeus.
9. Approximately how many species of plants exist in the Galapagos?
10. According to chapter 9, what percentage of the birds on Darwin's property were killed in the cold weather?
11. What type of finch is Number 3425?
(a) Cactus finch.
(b) Ground finch.
(c) Tree finch.
12. Who was Peter Grant's last teacher?
(a) Carolus Linnaeus.
(b) G. Evelyn Hutchinson.
(c) David Lack.
(d) Peter Boag.
13. As discussed in Chapter 4, which of the finches' traits did Peter Boag study for his thesis?
(a) Tarsus length.
(c) Resistance to disease.
(d) Survival mechanisms.
14. Who was Trevor Price's assistant in the Galapagos?
(a) Carlos Nuñez.
(b) Spike Millington.
(c) Tjitte de Vries.
(d) Laurene Ratcliffe.
15. In chapter 6, Weiner compares evolution to the motion of which object?
(a) A whirligig.
(b) A Jackson Pollock painting.
(c) A volcano.
(d) A kaleidoscope.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Weiner compare to the "flaming sword at the gates of Eden"?
2. As of the time of Rosemary's interview in Chapter 8, how many finches were not banded on Daphne Major?
3. Which animal did the evolutionist David Lack not consider when formulating his ideas, as mentioned in Chapter 4?
4. What is the name of the village on Santa Cruz?
5. What Galapagos island is mentioned in the first sentence of Chapter 1?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)