|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the animal resulting from the cross between a male horse and a female donkey?
(d) Miniature horse.
2. As mentioned in Chapter 5, which book did Laurene Ratcliffe read while waiting for rain on Daphne Major?
(a) A Streetcar Named Desire.
(b) The Agony and the Ecstasy.
(c) Waiting for Godot.
(d) The Sound and the Fury.
3. From how far away do the Grants take photographs of the finches for their research?
(a) 27 centimeters.
(b) 53 centimeters.
(c) 1 meter.
(d) 91 centimeters.
4. In Chapter 5, to which mythical figure does Weiner compare the finches?
(b) The Sirens.
5. Who, when observing Darwin's finches in museums, noticed the many differences in the birds' beaks?
(a) William Paley.
(b) Osbert Salvin.
(c) Percy R. Lowe.
(d) David Lack.
6. What color is the beak of a finch that is about to mate?
7. What animals did Darwin call "imps of darkness"?
(b) Sea lions.
8. The Grants' research is compared to which novel?
(a) War and Peace.
(b) Anna Karenina.
(c) Great Expectations.
(d) Jane Eyre.
9. On which island in the Galapagos archipelago did Darwin land first?
(a) San Cristóbal.
10. What was the name of Darwin's grandfather?
11. Who was Trevor Price's assistant in the Galapagos?
(a) Spike Millington.
(b) Laurene Ratcliffe.
(c) Carlos Nuñez.
(d) Tjitte de Vries.
12. Whose A Short History of Biology "killed Darwin with kindness," according to Weiner?
(a) Percy Bysshe Shelley's.
(b) David Lack's.
(c) Peter Grant's.
13. How many species of finch live in the Galapagos Islands?
14. What caused the heavy rains in December 1982?
(a) El Niño.
(b) Unusually cold weather.
(c) Global warming.
(d) A typhoon.
15. As related at the end of Chapter 3, which person sustained an injury from the barnacles on Daphne Major?
(a) Peter Boag.
(b) Ian Abbott.
(c) Lisle Gibbs.
(d) Peter Grant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote the book Natural Selection in the Wild?
2. How much rain has fallen on the island in the past forty-four months?
3. In what year did the Grants first go to the Galapagos?
4. Which animal did one finch attack during the dry year?
5. What does Weiner compare to the "flaming sword at the gates of Eden"?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)