|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is "the greatest authority on plants of the Galapagos"?
(a) Peter Boag.
(b) David Lack.
(c) Ian Abbott.
(d) Duncan Porter.
2. What organization did Tjitte de Vries direct?
(a) The Environmental Protection Agency.
(b) The Finch Unit.
(c) The Center for Disease Control and Prevention.
(d) The Charles Darwin Research Station.
3. Which book is quoted at the beginning of Chapter 10?
(d) The Odyssey.
4. How many times did Number 3425 breed in 1983?
5. What organism did Darwin's colleague Joseph Hooker study?
(a) Sea cucumbers.
(d) Bracket fungi.
6. Which animal did the evolutionist David Lack not consider when formulating his ideas, as mentioned in Chapter 4?
7. What was the name of the boat by which the Grants traveled from island to island, as mentioned in Chapter 8?
(a) The Sea Lion.
(b) The Enforcer.
(c) The Flamingo.
(d) The Grossbeak.
8. How many sparrows survived the first population crash that Jamie Smith studied?
9. From how far away do the Grants take photographs of the finches for their research?
(a) 27 centimeters.
(b) 1 meter.
(c) 53 centimeters.
(d) 91 centimeters.
10. The Grants' research is compared to which novel?
(a) War and Peace.
(b) Great Expectations.
(c) Anna Karenina.
(d) Jane Eyre.
11. Who is speaking in the first sentence of Chapter 9?
(c) Peter Grant.
(d) Trevor Price.
12. What color "indicates age and experience" in the male finches' feathers?
13. Cactus finches build their nest to protect themselves from which animal?
14. In Chapter 6, what does Weiner compare to a Petri dish?
(b) Daphne Major.
(d) New York City.
15. How old are the oldest finches on the island?
(a) 5 years old.
(b) 12 years old.
(c) 15 years old.
(d) 13 years old.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the village on Santa Cruz?
2. What was the name of Darwin's grandfather?
3. In what book does Darwin discuss "sexual selection"?
4. What book did Darwin call his "Big Book"?
5. What animals did Darwin call "imps of darkness"?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)