|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal does Weiner describe as having "the body plan of a volcano"?
2. Who was the first person who could recognize all the finches on Daphne Major?
(a) Rosemary Grant.
(b) Ian Abbott.
(c) Nicola Grant.
(d) Trevor Price.
3. What type of bird did Darwin breed back home in England?
4. Who is quoted in the opening of Chapter 6?
(a) Thomas Henry Huxley.
(b) William Shakespeare.
(c) Joseph Hooker.
(d) John Donne.
5. Whose "Thinking Path" is described in Chapter 9?
(b) David Lack's.
(c) John Milton's.
(d) Peter Grant's.
6. What color is the beak of a finch that is about to mate?
7. As of the time of Rosemary's interview in Chapter 8, how many finches were not banded on Daphne Major?
8. Who has deeply studied the history of studying evolution in the Galapagos Islands?
(a) Peter Boag.
(b) William Hamilton.
(c) David Anderson.
(d) Frank J. Sulloway.
9. How many populations of finches did the Grants study during their first year in the Galapagos?
10. What color "indicates age and experience" in the male finches' feathers?
11. What does the Difficilis on the Pinta eat?
(b) Tribulus seeds.
(c) Grass seeds.
12. As described at the end of Chapter 6, for what were Trevor Price and Lisle Gibbs waiting?
(a) The dry season.
(d) A bus.
13. Where does Jamie Smith study sparrows?
(b) British Columbia.
14. How old are the oldest finches on the island?
(a) 15 years old.
(b) 12 years old.
(c) 5 years old.
(d) 13 years old.
15. Which animal did the evolutionist David Lack not consider when formulating his ideas, as mentioned in Chapter 4?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who named one finch species "Geospiza incerta," which, according to Weiner, means "ground finch, I guess"?
2. Who was Peter Grant's last teacher?
3. As related at the end of Chapter 3, which person sustained an injury from the barnacles on Daphne Major?
4. Who gave the lecture "The Demonstrative Evidence of Evolution"?
5. What caused the heavy rains in December 1982?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)