|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As discussed in Chapter 4, which of the finches' traits did Peter Boag study for his thesis?
(a) Survival mechanisms.
(b) Tarsus length.
(d) Resistance to disease.
2. How many plants grew in Darwin's cup of dirt?
3. Who devised the metaphor of the watch and the watchmaker?
(a) William Paley.
(b) William Shakespeare.
(d) Joseph Hooker.
4. In chapter 6, Weiner compares evolution to the motion of which object?
(a) A Jackson Pollock painting.
(b) A whirligig.
(c) A kaleidoscope.
(d) A volcano.
5. Who was the first person who could recognize all the finches on Daphne Major?
(a) Trevor Price.
(b) Rosemary Grant.
(c) Ian Abbott.
(d) Nicola Grant.
6. Which type of fish is discussed at length in Chapter 6?
7. Weiner compares the finches' hunt for seeds to which human food?
(b) Potato chips.
8. Who argued against the principle of divergence using the phrase "the Ghost of Competition Past"?
(a) Peter Boag.
(c) David Lack.
(d) Joseph Connell.
9. How much rain fell on the day the severe drought ended, as mentioned in Chapter 5?
(a) One inch.
(b) Thirty millimeters.
(c) Two inches.
(d) Fifty millimeters.
10. At what university did Lisle Gibbs study?
(a) Princeton University.
(b) Ohio State University.
(c) University of Michigan.
(d) Washington University of St. Louis.
11. What unusual seed did the Grants find on Genovesa after El Niño?
(b) Poison apple.
(c) Wild grape.
12. Whose A Short History of Biology "killed Darwin with kindness," according to Weiner?
(b) Percy Bysshe Shelley's.
(c) David Lack's.
(d) Peter Grant's.
13. Who devised the idea of "adaptive landscapes"?
(a) Phillip Gingerich.
(b) Trevor Price.
(c) Ian Abbott.
(d) Sewall Wright.
14. Who named one finch species "Geospiza incerta," which, according to Weiner, means "ground finch, I guess"?
(a) Carolus Linnaeus.
(c) John Gould.
(d) Peter Grant.
15. Which famous writer went to Christ's College before Darwin?
(a) Robert Louis Stevenson.
(b) John Milton.
(c) William Shakespeare.
(d) Daniel Defoe.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Chapter 5 ends, Weiner mentions which food that Darwin ate in the Galapagos?
2. Who analyzed the finch data from the 1970s using partial regression analysis?
3. How long was the "Thinking Path"?
4. Whose appearance is described at the beginning of Chapter 8?
5. How many genera of plants did Darwin's friend find in a "small fallow field in Kent"?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)