|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many genera of plants did Darwin's friend find in a "small fallow field in Kent"?
2. Whose A Short History of Biology "killed Darwin with kindness," according to Weiner?
(a) Percy Bysshe Shelley's.
(b) David Lack's.
(c) Peter Grant's.
3. In what year did the Grants' team first notice the finches' hybrid breeding?
4. Who named one finch species "Geospiza incerta," which, according to Weiner, means "ground finch, I guess"?
(b) Carolus Linnaeus.
(c) Peter Grant.
(d) John Gould.
5. As mentioned in Chapter 5, which book did Laurene Ratcliffe read while waiting for rain on Daphne Major?
(a) A Streetcar Named Desire.
(b) Waiting for Godot.
(c) The Sound and the Fury.
(d) The Agony and the Ecstasy.
6. Which famous writer went to Christ's College before Darwin?
(a) John Milton.
(b) Daniel Defoe.
(c) William Shakespeare.
(d) Robert Louis Stevenson.
7. What caused the heavy rains in December 1982?
(a) Global warming.
(b) Unusually cold weather.
(c) A typhoon.
(d) El Niño.
8. How many times did the Croton trees bloom in the rains of 1982-83?
9. Who wrote the book Natural Selection in the Wild?
(a) David Lack.
(b) Charles Darwin.
(c) Peter Grant.
(d) John Endler.
10. Approximately how many species of plants exist in the Galapagos?
11. Where did Rosemary spend her childhood?
(d) The Lake District.
12. What do the iguanas in the Galapagos eat?
(a) Croton seeds.
13. In how many portfolios did Charles Darwin store his field notes?
14. What was the name of Darwin's grandfather?
15. Which are the "fittest finches on the island," as discussed in Chapter 8?
(a) The scandens.
(b) The fuliginosa.
(c) The hybrids between the magnirostris and the fortis.
(d) The hybrids between the scandens and the fortis.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose appearance is described at the beginning of Chapter 8?
2. The Grants' research is compared to which novel?
3. Chapter 8 mentions that Peter has to deliver a lecture in which country?
4. Which year was the dry year that is discussed in Chapter 5?
5. How long have the Grants been conducting research on this island?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)