|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much rain fell on the day the severe drought ended, as mentioned in Chapter 5?
(a) One inch.
(b) Two inches.
(c) Fifty millimeters.
(d) Thirty millimeters.
2. In Chapter 6, what does Weiner compare to a Petri dish?
(a) New York City.
(d) Daphne Major.
3. What plants did the Grants find growing on Nuñez?
(a) Flame trees.
(b) Oak trees.
(d) Green beans.
4. Who argued against the principle of divergence using the phrase "the Ghost of Competition Past"?
(a) Joseph Connell.
(b) Peter Boag.
(d) David Lack.
5. At what university did Lisle Gibbs study?
(a) Ohio State University.
(b) Princeton University.
(c) University of Michigan.
(d) Washington University of St. Louis.
6. As Chapter 5 ends, Weiner mentions which food that Darwin ate in the Galapagos?
7. As discussed in Chapter 4, which of the finches' traits did Peter Boag study for his thesis?
(a) Survival mechanisms.
(b) Tarsus length.
(c) Resistance to disease.
8. What was the name of the captain of Darwin's ship?
9. What normally causes the finches not to eat Chamaesyce?
(a) Its furry exterior.
(b) Its latex substance.
(c) Its hardness.
(d) Its thorns.
10. Who helped Jamie Smith analyze his data on sparrows?
(a) Dolph Schluter.
(b) Ian Abbott.
(c) Peter Grant.
(d) Peter Boag.
11. As mentioned in Chapter 5, which book did Laurene Ratcliffe read while waiting for rain on Daphne Major?
(a) The Agony and the Ecstasy.
(b) The Sound and the Fury.
(c) Waiting for Godot.
(d) A Streetcar Named Desire.
12. What unusual seed did the Grants find on Genovesa after El Niño?
(b) Poison apple.
(d) Wild grape.
13. Who, when observing Darwin's finches in museums, noticed the many differences in the birds' beaks?
(a) Percy R. Lowe.
(b) William Paley.
(c) David Lack.
(d) Osbert Salvin.
14. In how many portfolios did Charles Darwin store his field notes?
15. Which year was the dry year that is discussed in Chapter 5?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did the Grants first go to the Galapagos?
2. How many times did the Croton trees bloom in the rains of 1982-83?
3. Where do the Grants work in the United States?
4. Which of the following is not a predator mentioned in Chapter 6?
5. What do the iguanas in the Galapagos eat?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)