|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Rosemary spend her childhood?
(b) The Lake District.
2. In what year was the Charles Darwin Research Station founded?
3. What color is the beak of a finch that is about to mate?
4. What book did Darwin call his "Big Book"?
(a) The Origin of Species.
(c) The Voyage of the Beagle.
(d) War and Peace.
5. In chapter 6, Weiner compares evolution to the motion of which object?
(a) A whirligig.
(b) A volcano.
(c) A Jackson Pollock painting.
(d) A kaleidoscope.
6. As described at the end of Chapter 6, for what were Trevor Price and Lisle Gibbs waiting?
(a) A bus.
(d) The dry season.
7. In Chapter 6, what does Weiner compare to a Petri dish?
(b) Daphne Major.
(c) New York City.
8. In what book does Darwin discuss "sexual selection"?
(a) Journals and Remarks.
(b) The Descent of Man.
(c) The Origin of Species.
(d) Zoology of the Voyage of the H.M.S. Beagle.
9. Chapter 8 mentions that Peter has to deliver a lecture in which country?
10. How many plants grew in Darwin's cup of dirt?
11. To which of the researchers' objects are finches always attracted?
(c) A bucket of water.
(d) The trash can.
12. How many populations of finches did the Grants study during their first year in the Galapagos?
13. Who argued against the principle of divergence using the phrase "the Ghost of Competition Past"?
(a) Joseph Connell.
(b) Peter Boag.
(c) David Lack.
14. How many species of Ground finch are there in the Galapagos?
15. As related at the end of Chapter 3, which person sustained an injury from the barnacles on Daphne Major?
(a) Lisle Gibbs.
(b) Ian Abbott.
(c) Peter Grant.
(d) Peter Boag.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who analyzed the finch data from the 1970s using partial regression analysis?
2. Who was Peter Grant's last teacher?
3. Who has deeply studied the history of studying evolution in the Galapagos Islands?
4. Where did Peter Grant pursue his undergraduate degree?
5. Which biologist thought of Darwin's finches as "not separate species at all, but 'hybrid swarms'"?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)