|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What organization did Tjitte de Vries direct?
(a) The Center for Disease Control and Prevention.
(b) The Environmental Protection Agency.
(c) The Finch Unit.
(d) The Charles Darwin Research Station.
2. What unusual seed did the Grants find on Genovesa after El Niño?
(c) Wild grape.
(d) Poison apple.
3. In the dry year, how much bigger was the beak of a surviving finch than that of a dead finch?
(a) Half a millimeter.
(b) Three millimeters.
(c) One millimeter.
(d) Two millimeters.
4. As mentioned in Chapter 5, which book did Laurene Ratcliffe read while waiting for rain on Daphne Major?
(a) The Agony and the Ecstasy.
(b) The Sound and the Fury.
(c) Waiting for Godot.
(d) A Streetcar Named Desire.
5. How long have the Grants been conducting research on this island?
(a) 30 years.
(b) 20 years.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 12 years.
6. From how far away do the Grants take photographs of the finches for their research?
(a) 53 centimeters.
(b) 27 centimeters.
(c) 91 centimeters.
(d) 1 meter.
7. Who has deeply studied the history of studying evolution in the Galapagos Islands?
(a) William Hamilton.
(b) David Anderson.
(c) Peter Boag.
(d) Frank J. Sulloway.
8. Who devised the idea of "adaptive landscapes"?
(a) Sewall Wright.
(b) Ian Abbott.
(c) Phillip Gingerich.
(d) Trevor Price.
9. Who is speaking in the first sentence of Chapter 9?
(a) Peter Grant.
(c) Trevor Price.
10. Which book is quoted at the beginning of Chapter 10?
(b) The Odyssey.
11. Who created the concept of the "darwin"?
(a) Charles Darwin.
(b) Peter Grant.
(c) J.B.S. Haldane.
(d) Trevor Price.
12. What color is the beak of a finch that is about to mate?
13. Where do the Grants work in the United States?
(a) Yale University.
(b) The Ohio State University.
(c) Princeton University.
14. Which famous writer went to Christ's College before Darwin?
(a) William Shakespeare.
(b) Robert Louis Stevenson.
(c) John Milton.
(d) Daniel Defoe.
15. What do the iguanas in the Galapagos eat?
(c) Croton seeds.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color "indicates age and experience" in the male finches' feathers?
2. Who was Peter Grant's last teacher?
3. Approximately how many islands are in the Galapagos Archipelago?
4. Who is "the greatest authority on plants of the Galapagos"?
5. Where did John Endler build his experimental ponds?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)