|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who devised the metaphor of the watch and the watchmaker?
(a) William Shakespeare.
(b) Joseph Hooker.
(c) William Paley.
2. How long was the "Thinking Path"?
(a) .5 miles.
(b) 1 mile.
(c) 2 miles.
(d) .25 miles.
3. What type of bird did Darwin breed back home in England?
4. From what bird do the vampire finches drink blood?
(c) Passenger pigeons.
5. Which classic work of literature did Darwin take with him on his trip to the Galapagos Islands?
(c) Paradise Lost.
(d) The Divine Comedy.
6. What part of the finch is the tarsus?
7. What book did Darwin call his "Big Book"?
(a) War and Peace.
(c) The Voyage of the Beagle.
(d) The Origin of Species.
8. Who is quoted in the opening of Chapter 6?
(a) Thomas Henry Huxley.
(b) William Shakespeare.
(c) Joseph Hooker.
(d) John Donne.
9. What normally causes the finches not to eat Chamaesyce?
(a) Its latex substance.
(b) Its thorns.
(c) Its furry exterior.
(d) Its hardness.
10. Who developed the "principle of divergence"?
(a) Trevor Price.
(c) David Lack.
(d) Carolus Linnaeus.
11. Cactus finches build their nest to protect themselves from which animal?
12. Who is speaking in the first sentence of Chapter 9?
(a) Peter Grant.
(c) Trevor Price.
13. What was the name of the boat by which the Grants traveled from island to island, as mentioned in Chapter 8?
(a) The Enforcer.
(b) The Flamingo.
(c) The Sea Lion.
(d) The Grossbeak.
14. How many genera of plants did Darwin's friend find in a "small fallow field in Kent"?
15. What is the name of the animal resulting from the cross between a male horse and a female donkey?
(a) Miniature horse.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Rosemary relates, what sometimes causes a bamboo pole to become unexpectedly heavy as one carries it?
2. Who created the concept of the "darwin"?
3. What was the name of Darwin's grandfather?
4. Which weed does Chapter 4 discuss in detail?
5. Who helped Jamie Smith analyze his data on sparrows?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)