|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many genera of plants did Darwin's friend find in a "small fallow field in Kent"?
2. Which year was the dry year that is discussed in Chapter 5?
3. How long did Darwin study barnacles?
(a) 7 years.
(b) 6 months.
(c) 25 years.
(d) 10 years.
4. As Rosemary relates, what sometimes causes a bamboo pole to become unexpectedly heavy as one carries it?
(a) An eagle.
(c) A hawk.
(d) An iguana.
5. What type of animal was the Eohippus (or the Hyracotherium)?
6. What animals did Darwin call "imps of darkness"?
(b) Sea lions.
7. Which type of animal in the Galapagos has one alpha male that mates with many females?
(d) Sea lion.
8. From how far away do the Grants take photographs of the finches for their research?
(a) 1 meter.
(b) 53 centimeters.
(c) 91 centimeters.
(d) 27 centimeters.
9. Where do the Grants work in the United States?
(a) The Ohio State University.
(c) Princeton University.
(d) Yale University.
10. Approximately how many islands are in the Galapagos Archipelago?
11. Which are the "fittest finches on the island," as discussed in Chapter 8?
(a) The fuliginosa.
(b) The hybrids between the scandens and the fortis.
(c) The scandens.
(d) The hybrids between the magnirostris and the fortis.
12. How many populations of finches did the Grants study during their first year in the Galapagos?
13. How old are the oldest finches on the island?
(a) 15 years old.
(b) 5 years old.
(c) 12 years old.
(d) 13 years old.
14. Which weed does Chapter 4 discuss in detail?
(d) Lemon grass.
15. How many eggs did the best-breeding finch lay in the rainy season?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which animal did the evolutionist David Lack not consider when formulating his ideas, as mentioned in Chapter 4?
2. With what does Rosemary bait the finch traps?
3. What animal does Weiner describe as having "the body plan of a volcano"?
4. Which of the following is not a predator mentioned in Chapter 6?
5. What unusual seed did the Grants find on Genovesa after El Niño?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)