|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3, Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the dry year, how much bigger was the beak of a surviving finch than that of a dead finch?
(a) Half a millimeter.
(b) Two millimeters.
(c) Three millimeters.
(d) One millimeter.
2. Who is "the greatest authority on plants of the Galapagos"?
(a) Ian Abbott.
(b) Peter Boag.
(c) David Lack.
(d) Duncan Porter.
3. From what bird do the vampire finches drink blood?
(d) Passenger pigeons.
4. What does Weiner compare to the "flaming sword at the gates of Eden"?
(a) Sexual selection.
(b) Natural selection.
(c) The principle of divergence.
(d) El Niño.
5. Which animal did Lewontin and Birch study?
(a) Fruit fly.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who devised the metaphor of the watch and the watchmaker?
2. Who gave the lecture "The Demonstrative Evidence of Evolution"?
3. Which Greek philosopher is quoted at the end of Chapter 13?
4. As Rosemary relates, what sometimes causes a bamboo pole to become unexpectedly heavy as one carries it?
5. As mentioned in Chapter 5, which book did Laurene Ratcliffe read while waiting for rain on Daphne Major?
This section contains 204 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)