|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these statements are false?
2. What didn't the rafting group notice?
3. Why didn't Jed talk about his detail?
4. What was not one of the islands natural barriers?
5. In what detail was Richard going to be placed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lie did Richard tell to Christo?
2. How was Richard making Sal's life difficult?
3. What had made Keaty feel really bad about the squid giving people food poisoning?
4. How did Richard become comfortable regarding Mr. Duck's presence in the daylight?
5. Zeph and Sammy made several mistakes on their way to the commune. What were they? What was the biggest mistake the rafting group made?
6. Who was reanimated by Richard and how?
7. What had Bugs done that made Richard mad?
8. How is it that Richard sees Keaty and Jed so frequently?
9. What was the analogy Richard had made about the Gulf War?
10. What wrong move did Richard make, according to Etienne?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discern a reason why Richard suddenly seemed to have a lack of interest in Francoise towards the end of the novel. Compare the amount of time Richard chooses to reflect upon Francoise and think about her towards the end of the novel. How might this be considered a precursor for his own downfall?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why it was impossible for the rafters to negotiate their release. What were the main reasons for the dope guards killing the rafters? What did they fear would occur? Was this a logical fear or paranoia? How does the reader know?
Essay Topic 3
Attempt to explain the camps swarming and subsequent mutilation of the bodies of the rafters. Try and provide some explanations for this bizarre and frightening behavior. How does this mark the complete and utter dissolution of the camps' social structure?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)