|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the reason for the cheering?
2. What had Francoise asked for?
3. What game was Richard trying to play?
4. Which monkey first approached Richard?
5. Why wouldn't Richard ask Gregorio about the division he felt between the camp and Sal and Bugs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Bugs do to the corpse of Sammy and what was Richards' explanation for his behavior?
2. How was Richard making Sal's life difficult?
3. Why did Richard and Keaty spike the stew and what was the result of this tampering?
4. What drew the sharks attention, and how did Richard spear it?
5. How did it happen that Keaty speared a dead squid?
6. How did Richard, Jed, Keaty, Francoise and Etienne get rescued? How did they make do without money?
7. Why were Keaty and Jed the ones to talk to in regards to finding out more about Jesse and Cassie? Who wasn't good to talk to?
8. What had Bugs done that made Richard mad?
9. How long did Richard's frustration last in regards to the world and Koh Phangan?
10. How is it that Richard sees Keaty and Jed so frequently?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss whether or not living in paradise for any length of time would taint the way a person would perceive paradise. Explain your answer citing the book, and explain the contradiction in Richard's arrival in Koh Phangan and his return to England.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Richard's character. What do his actions reveal about him? What psychological terms apply to Richard and his regard of human life and his actions? What other characters with this same psychological condition likely shared these traits with Richard and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss whether or not paradise is truly possible. What human flaws make paradise an almost impossible endeavor? Do you think it is possible for people to learn to work together indefinitely? Why or why not?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)