|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long after the dissolution of the beach commune was the epilogue?
2. What did Daffy compare living with Sal and Bugs to?
3. What were the last of Richards worries to go?
4. How many days had the people been on the neighboring island?
5. What was so difficult about helicopters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Richard find himself thinking about for the first time since his arrival on the beach?
2. What had Bugs done that made Richard mad?
3. What did Bugs do to the corpse of Sammy and what was Richards' explanation for his behavior?
4. What things did Richard note in the asides about of the Swedes?
5. What had made Richard feel mildly put out?
6. What plan was made in regards to Zeph and Sammy?
7. Zeph and Sammy made several mistakes on their way to the commune. What were they? What was the biggest mistake the rafting group made?
8. What was the analogy Richard had made about the Gulf War?
9. Why did Richard and Keaty spike the stew and what was the result of this tampering?
10. What did the camp do in response to Bugs' actions? What did they attempt to do to Richard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the beach community must remain a secret and for what reasons everyone diligently keeps that secret. What does the beach have the potential to become if it becomes exposed? How is this an undesirable outcome? Are the methods employed at keeping the secret of the beach a bit heinous in their extremity? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Attempt to explain Sal's lying for Richard. What might she have hoped to gain in her lie? What is revealed about her in the following chapters, Karl runs away? How might this tie into Sal covering for Richard?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why it was impossible for the rafters to negotiate their release. What were the main reasons for the dope guards killing the rafters? What did they fear would occur? Was this a logical fear or paranoia? How does the reader know?
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)