|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many air pockets did the two men encounter?
2. What was not one of the islands natural barriers?
3. Who does Richard see all of the time now that they are back in England?
4. What was the only thing discussed by all members of the beach commune?
5. What kind of fruit did Richard find in a grove?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was reanimated by Richard and how?
2. How long did Richard's frustration last in regards to the world and Koh Phangan?
3. What was Sal insinuating that Richard should do in regards to Karl?
4. What was the analogy Richard had made about the Gulf War?
5. Who argued on behalf of the rafters and what was the outcome? Why didn't Richard prevent this outcome?
6. What drew the sharks attention, and how did Richard spear it?
7. Why did Richard and Keaty spike the stew and what was the result of this tampering?
8. What wrong move did Richard make, according to Etienne?
9. What is killing Christo, and how could it have been prevented? Why can't Etienne find out about it?
10. What plan was made in regards to Zeph and Sammy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Richard's character. What do his actions reveal about him? What psychological terms apply to Richard and his regard of human life and his actions? What other characters with this same psychological condition likely shared these traits with Richard and why?
Essay Topic 2
Attempt to explain Sal's lying for Richard. What might she have hoped to gain in her lie? What is revealed about her in the following chapters, Karl runs away? How might this tie into Sal covering for Richard?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Daffy's comment about 'living with Cancer". What do you think that comment was directed at, and why? What would Daffy consider to be cancer? How was he released from living with Cancer? Explain your answer.
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)