|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Richards' problem with seeing Mr. Duck in the daylight?
2. In what detail was Richard going to be placed?
3. What was the last thing Richard said to Christo?
4. How had it happened?
5. What made no sense?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were Keaty and Jed the ones to talk to in regards to finding out more about Jesse and Cassie? Who wasn't good to talk to?
2. Who was reanimated by Richard and how?
3. How is it that Richard sees Keaty and Jed so frequently?
4. Why did Richard and Keaty spike the stew and what was the result of this tampering?
5. How was Richard making Sal's life difficult?
6. What things did Richard note in the asides about of the Swedes?
7. Who argued on behalf of the rafters and what was the outcome? Why didn't Richard prevent this outcome?
8. What had made Keaty feel really bad about the squid giving people food poisoning?
9. What did Richard find himself thinking about for the first time since his arrival on the beach?
10. What had made Richard feel mildly put out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discern a reason why Richard suddenly seemed to have a lack of interest in Francoise towards the end of the novel. Compare the amount of time Richard chooses to reflect upon Francoise and think about her towards the end of the novel. How might this be considered a precursor for his own downfall?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the authors reasoning for having the island community addicted to marijuana. Provide an explanation for the author's reasons for including a narcotic plantation on the island, and offer up a non-drug related alternative that might have been employed.
Essay Topic 3
Attempt to explain Sal's lying for Richard. What might she have hoped to gain in her lie? What is revealed about her in the following chapters, Karl runs away? How might this tie into Sal covering for Richard?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)