|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of fruit did Richard find in a grove?
2. Who thought Karl wouldn't attack Richard?
3. Why did Richard peg open the tent?
4. Who did Richard want to leave with?
5. What did Keaty want Richard to do when he had gotten back to the beach?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Richard, Jed, Keaty, Francoise and Etienne get rescued? How did they make do without money?
2. Why did Richard and Keaty spike the stew and what was the result of this tampering?
3. What was the pool a substitute for?
4. How did Bugs manage to make the opposition feel like dissenters?
5. What drew the sharks attention, and how did Richard spear it?
6. How did Richard become comfortable regarding Mr. Duck's presence in the daylight?
7. What had made Keaty feel really bad about the squid giving people food poisoning?
8. What was irritating in regards to Bug's competitive streak?
9. What is killing Christo, and how could it have been prevented? Why can't Etienne find out about it?
10. What was the analogy Richard had made about the Gulf War?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the authors reasoning for having the island community addicted to marijuana. Provide an explanation for the author's reasons for including a narcotic plantation on the island, and offer up a non-drug related alternative that might have been employed.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Daffy's comment about 'living with Cancer". What do you think that comment was directed at, and why? What would Daffy consider to be cancer? How was he released from living with Cancer? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss which of the characters from within the novel you would have as a friend or ally and why. What characteristics of that person would make an excellent friend? Would you trust them? Why or why not? Are there any indications throughout the novel that this character isn't trustworthy? Explain.
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)