|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Richard and Etienne want?
2. Why wouldn't Richard ask Gregorio about the division he felt between the camp and Sal and Bugs?
3. What fantasy did Richard have?
4. Who was waiting for Richard when he emerged from the cave?
5. What was not one of the islands natural barriers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Bugs do to the corpse of Sammy and what was Richards' explanation for his behavior?
2. What had made Richard feel mildly put out?
3. How did Richard become comfortable regarding Mr. Duck's presence in the daylight?
4. What things did Richard note in the asides about of the Swedes?
5. What plan was made in regards to Zeph and Sammy?
6. How did Francoise know about Richard's kiss? What did she thank him for?
7. What was pissing Sal off and why was Richard doing it?
8. What wrong move did Richard make, according to Etienne?
9. Who argued on behalf of the rafters and what was the outcome? Why didn't Richard prevent this outcome?
10. How did Richard, Jed, Keaty, Francoise and Etienne get rescued? How did they make do without money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss which of the characters from within the novel you would have as a friend or ally and why. What characteristics of that person would make an excellent friend? Would you trust them? Why or why not? Are there any indications throughout the novel that this character isn't trustworthy? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Daffy's comment about 'living with Cancer". What do you think that comment was directed at, and why? What would Daffy consider to be cancer? How was he released from living with Cancer? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why it was impossible for the rafters to negotiate their release. What were the main reasons for the dope guards killing the rafters? What did they fear would occur? Was this a logical fear or paranoia? How does the reader know?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)