|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Daffy compare living with Sal and Bugs to?
2. Who did Richard want to leave with?
3. What did Etienne apologize for?
4. Why might Keaty be in trouble?
5. What film did Daffy and Richard talk about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Francoise know about Richard's kiss? What did she thank him for?
2. How did it happen that Keaty speared a dead squid?
3. What did the camp do in response to Bugs' actions? What did they attempt to do to Richard?
4. How long did Richard's frustration last in regards to the world and Koh Phangan?
5. What was irritating in regards to Bug's competitive streak?
6. What wrong move did Richard make, according to Etienne?
7. What plan was made in regards to Zeph and Sammy?
8. Why were Keaty and Jed the ones to talk to in regards to finding out more about Jesse and Cassie? Who wasn't good to talk to?
9. How did Richard, Jed, Keaty, Francoise and Etienne get rescued? How did they make do without money?
10. What was the pool a substitute for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the beach community must remain a secret and for what reasons everyone diligently keeps that secret. What does the beach have the potential to become if it becomes exposed? How is this an undesirable outcome? Are the methods employed at keeping the secret of the beach a bit heinous in their extremity? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the beach and its descent from Paradise to Hell. What other descents are made throughout the book? Could these be considered some of the central themes of the book? How or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Sal and Daffy's relationship. What evidence is there to suggest that there was more than just friendship on their minds? Has this evidence left the reader to suspect that they may have been romantically linked? If not, is there evidence to suggest that either Sal or Daffy wanted to be more than just friends? Explain.
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)