|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Richard explain for the two Americans to wait for him?
2. What pharmacy had the pills come from?
3. Approximately how high were the cliffs?
4. Who did Richard share a cigarette with?
5. What theme song did Mr. Duck sing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Etienne notice about the dope that they had found on the island?
2. How did Richard feel about his parting from the two Americans the last time?
3. Why had Richard initially begun traveling?
4. What had been Richards primary goal when he had started traveling? What were his goals, specifically?
5. What was the problem with the rucksacks and how was it solved?
6. What had made Jed's day bad?
7. Why did it surprise Richard that he had volunteered to go for the Rice Run?
8. What made the map intricate?
9. How was it that Sal was the leader?
10. What game did the three people play as they swum out to sea? How did Richard feel about the game?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conversations that would have likely been had with the parents of Richard and his companions upon their return from the island. Might they have sought out counseling for what they had done and seen? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the authors reasoning for having the island community addicted to marijuana. Provide an explanation for the author's reasons for including a narcotic plantation on the island, and offer up a non-drug related alternative that might have been employed.
Essay Topic 3
Explore Richards resentment of Bugs. What kinds of things specifically did Richard really have a problem with in regards to Bugs and his presence? Were these things intentionally done by Bugs, or were they the result of an unintentional affront? Explain your answer.
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)