|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of vehicle did the group take from the Koh Samui port?
2. Where did the Songserm ferry go to?
3. When was their ETA?
4. What is Richard's record?
5. What is Richard's favorite thing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't Richard stay where he was in the tidal cave?
2. What game did the three people play as they swum out to sea? How did Richard feel about the game?
3. What did all the people that were taken to the beach have in common? Who was the odd person out?
4. What was the analogy Richard had made about the Gulf War?
5. How did Richard feel about his parting from the two Americans the last time?
6. What was the cue for Richard to call it a night?
7. What had the Filipino guy that Richard had met taught him about jellyfish?
8. What had made Richard feel mildly put out?
9. Why had things become awkward between Richard and the French couple?
10. What did Etienne notice about the dope that they had found on the island?
Essay Topic 1
Explore Richards resentment of Bugs. What kinds of things specifically did Richard really have a problem with in regards to Bugs and his presence? Were these things intentionally done by Bugs, or were they the result of an unintentional affront? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the beach community must remain a secret and for what reasons everyone diligently keeps that secret. What does the beach have the potential to become if it becomes exposed? How is this an undesirable outcome? Are the methods employed at keeping the secret of the beach a bit heinous in their extremity? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Sal's descent from leader to dictator. Was it likely that the rest of the camp understood or noticed the change in Sal? How or why not? Hypothesize on whether or not this had an impact on the commune's downfall.
This section contains 1,698 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)