|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the lights of Koh Samui glow like?
2. There wasn't any point to going to the corals without what?
3. What three letter term is repeated throughout the section "Getting There"?
4. Who was going on the rice run?
5. What is Richard's record?
Short Essay Questions
1. What had guaranteed that Richard would get batteries, and how had it come to pass?
2. Why did it surprise Richard that he had volunteered to go for the Rice Run?
3. What made the map intricate?
4. What was the cue for Richard to call it a night?
5. Why had things become awkward between Richard and the French couple?
6. Why did Richard consider himself pretty lucky?
7. What explanation did Richard offer for the shape of the island on which the Beach was located?
8. What were the two ways that Richard could get to the garden? Which route did Richard take and why?
9. How did Richard feel about his parting from the two Americans the last time?
10. What did Richard realize that he would have to do when he came to the cliffs and the waterfall? What did he imagine when he had looked at the waterfall and the pool beneath?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Richards more gory fantasies that occur throughout the book. What is this fascination with the violence in his own mind indicative of? Explain if this makes Richard a threat or an ally.
Essay Topic 2
Attempt to explain Sal's lying for Richard. What might she have hoped to gain in her lie? What is revealed about her in the following chapters, Karl runs away? How might this tie into Sal covering for Richard?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss whether or not living in paradise for any length of time would taint the way a person would perceive paradise. Explain your answer citing the book, and explain the contradiction in Richard's arrival in Koh Phangan and his return to England.
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)