|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far would the main character have traveled if it was only him?
2. What nationality did the main character guess the man was that spoke of the beach?
3. What animal did Etienne encounter?
4. There wasn't any point to going to the corals without what?
5. Approximately how high were the cliffs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why had things become awkward between Richard and the French couple?
2. Why did Richard consider himself pretty lucky?
3. How did Richard feel when he had touched the walls in the room?
4. What was the problem with the rucksacks and how was it solved?
5. Why didn't Richard stay where he was in the tidal cave?
6. How was it that Sal was the leader?
7. What was the cue for Richard to call it a night?
8. What had been Richards primary goal when he had started traveling? What were his goals, specifically?
9. Why did Richard keep an open mind when it came to Jed?
10. Why had Richard initially begun traveling?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Attempt to explain Sal's lying for Richard. What might she have hoped to gain in her lie? What is revealed about her in the following chapters, Karl runs away? How might this tie into Sal covering for Richard?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the camp's reaction to Richard 'doing things' for Sal. How did people go out of their way to be nice to him and friendly with him? What likely prompted this sudden interest in Richard? What perspective does the reader take of Richard's association with Sal?
Essay Topic 3
Explore Richards resentment of Bugs. What kinds of things specifically did Richard really have a problem with in regards to Bugs and his presence? Were these things intentionally done by Bugs, or were they the result of an unintentional affront? Explain your answer.
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)