|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of salad did Richard order?
2. What was the nickname of the head cook?
3. What kind of person was the group looking for to ferry them close to the beach?
4. What hadn't Jed done with the boat?
5. What year was this character in Vietnam?
Short Essay Questions
1. What game did the three people play as they swum out to sea? How did Richard feel about the game?
2. What made the map intricate?
3. What gave the illusion of a confined personal area, and how was the effect spoiled?
4. What was different between the beach and the world and how did it make Richard feel?
5. Why had Richard initially begun traveling?
6. What explanation did Richard offer for the shape of the island on which the Beach was located?
7. What were the two ways that Richard could get to the garden? Which route did Richard take and why?
8. Why did Richard feel as though he was governed by someone else in retrospect?
9. How did Richard feel when he had touched the walls in the room?
10. What was the cue for Richard to call it a night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Sal and Daffy's relationship. What evidence is there to suggest that there was more than just friendship on their minds? Has this evidence left the reader to suspect that they may have been romantically linked? If not, is there evidence to suggest that either Sal or Daffy wanted to be more than just friends? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Richards more gory fantasies that occur throughout the book. What is this fascination with the violence in his own mind indicative of? Explain if this makes Richard a threat or an ally.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Jed's reconnaissance missions for Sal. Why do you think he was given these missions? Would they contribute to Jeds' alienation from the rest of the camp, or is his alienation the result of his own doing? Explain your answer.
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)