|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had happened to the main character's neighbor?
2. What did the lights of Koh Samui glow like?
3. Approximately how high were the cliffs?
4. What kind of competition had Richard and Etienne had?
5. What did Richard just accept about the Beach?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Francoise and Etienne fear when they had seen Richard chatting with the Americans? Why was this?
2. What had been Richards primary goal when he had started traveling? What were his goals, specifically?
3. Why had things become awkward between Richard and the French couple?
4. How is it that Richard sees Keaty and Jed so frequently?
5. What lie did Richard tell to Christo?
6. What was different between the beach and the world and how did it make Richard feel?
7. Why did Richard keep an open mind when it came to Jed?
8. Why did it surprise Richard that he had volunteered to go for the Rice Run?
9. What was the purpose of the lashed together branches?
10. Who argued on behalf of the rafters and what was the outcome? Why didn't Richard prevent this outcome?
Essay Topic 1
Attempt to explain Sal's lying for Richard. What might she have hoped to gain in her lie? What is revealed about her in the following chapters, Karl runs away? How might this tie into Sal covering for Richard?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Jed's reconnaissance missions for Sal. Why do you think he was given these missions? Would they contribute to Jeds' alienation from the rest of the camp, or is his alienation the result of his own doing? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conversations that would have likely been had with the parents of Richard and his companions upon their return from the island. Might they have sought out counseling for what they had done and seen? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,705 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)