|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name was on the tree?
2. What name had been written into the police man's notebook?
3. What did the French guy like?
4. Why did Richard tug at the back of his shirt?
5. What kind of salad did Richard order?
Short Essay Questions
1. What had been Richards primary goal when he had started traveling? What were his goals, specifically?
2. What game did the three people play as they swum out to sea? How did Richard feel about the game?
3. How was it that Sal was the leader?
4. What had the Filipino guy that Richard had met taught him about jellyfish?
5. What had guaranteed that Richard would get batteries, and how had it come to pass?
6. What were the two ways that Richard could get to the garden? Which route did Richard take and why?
7. How did Richard feel about his parting from the two Americans the last time?
8. How did Richard feel when he had touched the walls in the room?
9. Why couldn't tourists visit the national parks?
10. Why did Richard consider himself pretty lucky?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Richards more gory fantasies that occur throughout the book. What is this fascination with the violence in his own mind indicative of? Explain if this makes Richard a threat or an ally.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why it was impossible for the rafters to negotiate their release. What were the main reasons for the dope guards killing the rafters? What did they fear would occur? Was this a logical fear or paranoia? How does the reader know?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Daffy's comment about 'living with Cancer". What do you think that comment was directed at, and why? What would Daffy consider to be cancer? How was he released from living with Cancer? Explain your answer.
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)