Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the french male?
2. What name was on the tree?
3. What kind of dress was the transvestite wearing?
4. What color was the watermark strip when it dipped below the ocean?
5. What is Richard's favorite thing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Richard feel when he had touched the walls in the room?
2. What was the purpose of the lashed together branches?
3. Why didn't Richard stay where he was in the tidal cave?
4. What is killing Christo, and how could it have been prevented? Why can't Etienne find out about it?
5. How did Richard feel about his parting from the two Americans the last time?
6. Why did Richard and Keaty spike the stew and what was the result of this tampering?
7. What drew the sharks attention, and how did Richard spear it?
8. What were the two ways that Richard could get to the garden? Which route did Richard take and why?
9. Why did Richard keep an open mind when it came to Jed?
10. Zeph and Sammy made several mistakes on their way to the commune. What were they? What was the biggest mistake the rafting group made?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the beach and its descent from Paradise to Hell. What other descents are made throughout the book? Could these be considered some of the central themes of the book? How or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss whether or not living in paradise for any length of time would taint the way a person would perceive paradise. Explain your answer citing the book, and explain the contradiction in Richard's arrival in Koh Phangan and his return to England.
Essay Topic 3
Discern a reason why Richard suddenly seemed to have a lack of interest in Francoise towards the end of the novel. Compare the amount of time Richard chooses to reflect upon Francoise and think about her towards the end of the novel. How might this be considered a precursor for his own downfall?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)