|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Richard just accept about the Beach?
2. What kind of person was the group looking for to ferry them close to the beach?
3. What was the dimensions of the boat?
4. What was the first thing that Richard did when he got into his hut?
5. Where is the guy with the Gameboy from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What had guaranteed that Richard would get batteries, and how had it come to pass?
2. What did Francoise and Etienne fear when they had seen Richard chatting with the Americans? Why was this?
3. Why did it surprise Richard that he had volunteered to go for the Rice Run?
4. What was the problem with the rucksacks and how was it solved?
5. What was the cue for Richard to call it a night?
6. What was the purpose of the lashed together branches?
7. What did Etienne notice about the dope that they had found on the island?
8. Why didn't Richard stay where he was in the tidal cave?
9. What conveyed a sense or normalcy to Richard when he had woken up?
10. Why did Richard's reflection come as quite a shock?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jed's reconnaissance missions for Sal. Why do you think he was given these missions? Would they contribute to Jeds' alienation from the rest of the camp, or is his alienation the result of his own doing? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Richards more gory fantasies that occur throughout the book. What is this fascination with the violence in his own mind indicative of? Explain if this makes Richard a threat or an ally.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss whether or not living in paradise for any length of time would taint the way a person would perceive paradise. Explain your answer citing the book, and explain the contradiction in Richard's arrival in Koh Phangan and his return to England.
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)