|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Schindler's List", what color was the little girls coat?
2. What did the lights of Koh Samui glow like?
3. Where did Richard explain for the two Americans to wait for him?
4. Why was Mr. Duck upset?
5. What had been left on the main character's door?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why had things become awkward between Richard and the French couple?
2. What did Francoise and Etienne fear when they had seen Richard chatting with the Americans? Why was this?
3. What had made Jed's day bad?
4. What did Richard realize that he would have to do when he came to the cliffs and the waterfall? What did he imagine when he had looked at the waterfall and the pool beneath?
5. Why did Richard feel as though he was governed by someone else in retrospect?
6. What gave the illusion of a confined personal area, and how was the effect spoiled?
7. Why had Richard initially begun traveling?
8. What did all the people that were taken to the beach have in common? Who was the odd person out?
9. What conveyed a sense or normalcy to Richard when he had woken up?
10. Why did Richard consider himself pretty lucky?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conversations that would have likely been had with the parents of Richard and his companions upon their return from the island. Might they have sought out counseling for what they had done and seen? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the authors reasoning for having the island community addicted to marijuana. Provide an explanation for the author's reasons for including a narcotic plantation on the island, and offer up a non-drug related alternative that might have been employed.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the beach and its descent from Paradise to Hell. What other descents are made throughout the book? Could these be considered some of the central themes of the book? How or why not?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)