|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the guy's record with Tetris?
2. What was the person's name that Richard met first?
3. When was their rendezvous?
4. What made the girl a poor sight?
5. What was left behind?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did all the people that were taken to the beach have in common? Who was the odd person out?
2. What had been Richards primary goal when he had started traveling? What were his goals, specifically?
3. What had the Filipino guy that Richard had met taught him about jellyfish?
4. What conveyed a sense or normalcy to Richard when he had woken up?
5. What gave the illusion of a confined personal area, and how was the effect spoiled?
6. What did Etienne notice about the dope that they had found on the island?
7. What was the cue for Richard to call it a night?
8. What were the two ways that Richard could get to the garden? Which route did Richard take and why?
9. Why did Richard's reflection come as quite a shock?
10. How did Richard feel when he had touched the walls in the room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conversations that would have likely been had with the parents of Richard and his companions upon their return from the island. Might they have sought out counseling for what they had done and seen? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the beach community must remain a secret and for what reasons everyone diligently keeps that secret. What does the beach have the potential to become if it becomes exposed? How is this an undesirable outcome? Are the methods employed at keeping the secret of the beach a bit heinous in their extremity? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss which of the characters from within the novel you would have as a friend or ally and why. What characteristics of that person would make an excellent friend? Would you trust them? Why or why not? Are there any indications throughout the novel that this character isn't trustworthy? Explain.
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)