|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Mr. Duck upset?
2. What element led the main character to fantasize that his bed was a space ship?
3. What made the girl a poor sight?
4. Why did Richard tug at the back of his shirt?
5. How many caves led into the seaward cliffs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What had guaranteed that Richard would get batteries, and how had it come to pass?
2. What was the cue for Richard to call it a night?
3. Why didn't Richard stay where he was in the tidal cave?
4. Why couldn't tourists visit the national parks?
5. What explanation did Richard offer for the shape of the island on which the Beach was located?
6. What made the map intricate?
7. Why did Richard's reflection come as quite a shock?
8. What was the problem with the rucksacks and how was it solved?
9. What did all the people that were taken to the beach have in common? Who was the odd person out?
10. Why did Richard feel as though he was governed by someone else in retrospect?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Richards more gory fantasies that occur throughout the book. What is this fascination with the violence in his own mind indicative of? Explain if this makes Richard a threat or an ally.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the beach community must remain a secret and for what reasons everyone diligently keeps that secret. What does the beach have the potential to become if it becomes exposed? How is this an undesirable outcome? Are the methods employed at keeping the secret of the beach a bit heinous in their extremity? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Richard's character. What do his actions reveal about him? What psychological terms apply to Richard and his regard of human life and his actions? What other characters with this same psychological condition likely shared these traits with Richard and why?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)