|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Approximately how high were the cliffs?
2. Why didn't Richard ask Jed what to do about the body?
3. Where did the Songserm ferry go to?
4. What did Richard buy?
5. How old did the main character judge the French couple to be, at first?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why had things become awkward between Richard and the French couple?
2. What had the Filipino guy that Richard had met taught him about jellyfish?
3. Why couldn't tourists visit the national parks?
4. Why did Richard consider himself pretty lucky?
5. What gave the illusion of a confined personal area, and how was the effect spoiled?
6. Why did Richard keep an open mind when it came to Jed?
7. How was it that Sal was the leader?
8. What was different between the beach and the world and how did it make Richard feel?
9. What made the map intricate?
10. What game did the three people play as they swum out to sea? How did Richard feel about the game?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Sal's descent from leader to dictator. Was it likely that the rest of the camp understood or noticed the change in Sal? How or why not? Hypothesize on whether or not this had an impact on the commune's downfall.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the shark attack. In what manner was it the start of the downfall of paradise on the beach? How did it change things for the residents of the beach, and how were things never again the same afterward?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the authors reasoning for having the island community addicted to marijuana. Provide an explanation for the author's reasons for including a narcotic plantation on the island, and offer up a non-drug related alternative that might have been employed.
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)