|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many glow stars were there on Richard's roof?
2. What joke were the two people playing on Richard?
3. Who was going on the rice run?
4. There wasn't any point to going to the corals without what?
5. Who did Richard share a cigarette with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conveyed a sense or normalcy to Richard when he had woken up?
2. Why did Richard's reflection come as quite a shock?
3. What had been Richards primary goal when he had started traveling? What were his goals, specifically?
4. What had the Filipino guy that Richard had met taught him about jellyfish?
5. What was the cue for Richard to call it a night?
6. What did Francoise and Etienne fear when they had seen Richard chatting with the Americans? Why was this?
7. Why did it surprise Richard that he had volunteered to go for the Rice Run?
8. Why couldn't tourists visit the national parks?
9. Why had things become awkward between Richard and the French couple?
10. Why didn't Richard stay where he was in the tidal cave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Sal's descent from leader to dictator. Was it likely that the rest of the camp understood or noticed the change in Sal? How or why not? Hypothesize on whether or not this had an impact on the commune's downfall.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss which of the characters from within the novel you would have as a friend or ally and why. What characteristics of that person would make an excellent friend? Would you trust them? Why or why not? Are there any indications throughout the novel that this character isn't trustworthy? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Attempt to explain the camps swarming and subsequent mutilation of the bodies of the rafters. Try and provide some explanations for this bizarre and frightening behavior. How does this mark the complete and utter dissolution of the camps' social structure?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)