|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Richard's favorite thing?
2. Where did Richard explain for the two Americans to wait for him?
3. How many caves led into the seaward cliffs?
4. Not being able to finish the swim would mean what?
5. What didn't Richard buy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why had things become awkward between Richard and the French couple?
2. What did all the people that were taken to the beach have in common? Who was the odd person out?
3. What did Richard realize that he would have to do when he came to the cliffs and the waterfall? What did he imagine when he had looked at the waterfall and the pool beneath?
4. What had been Richards primary goal when he had started traveling? What were his goals, specifically?
5. Why did Richard's reflection come as quite a shock?
6. Why didn't Richard stay where he was in the tidal cave?
7. What had made Jed's day bad?
8. What did Etienne notice about the dope that they had found on the island?
9. Why did Richard consider himself pretty lucky?
10. What was different between the beach and the world and how did it make Richard feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss whether or not living in paradise for any length of time would taint the way a person would perceive paradise. Explain your answer citing the book, and explain the contradiction in Richard's arrival in Koh Phangan and his return to England.
Essay Topic 2
Attempt to explain the camps swarming and subsequent mutilation of the bodies of the rafters. Try and provide some explanations for this bizarre and frightening behavior. How does this mark the complete and utter dissolution of the camps' social structure?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss whether or not paradise is truly possible. What human flaws make paradise an almost impossible endeavor? Do you think it is possible for people to learn to work together indefinitely? Why or why not?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)