|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Not being able to finish the swim would mean what?
2. What was left behind?
3. Who was going on the rice run?
4. Who chose the chicken noodles?
5. What did the lights of Koh Samui glow like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What had made Jed's day bad?
2. Why didn't Richard stay where he was in the tidal cave?
3. Why did it surprise Richard that he had volunteered to go for the Rice Run?
4. Why did Richard consider himself pretty lucky?
5. What was the cue for Richard to call it a night?
6. What conveyed a sense or normalcy to Richard when he had woken up?
7. Why did Richard feel as though he was governed by someone else in retrospect?
8. How did Richard feel about his parting from the two Americans the last time?
9. What did all the people that were taken to the beach have in common? Who was the odd person out?
10. What did Etienne notice about the dope that they had found on the island?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discern a reason why Richard suddenly seemed to have a lack of interest in Francoise towards the end of the novel. Compare the amount of time Richard chooses to reflect upon Francoise and think about her towards the end of the novel. How might this be considered a precursor for his own downfall?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conversations that would have likely been had with the parents of Richard and his companions upon their return from the island. Might they have sought out counseling for what they had done and seen? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Attempt to explain Sal's lying for Richard. What might she have hoped to gain in her lie? What is revealed about her in the following chapters, Karl runs away? How might this tie into Sal covering for Richard?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)