|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Approximately how high were the cliffs?
2. At what time would the camp be empty?
3. What pharmacy had the pills come from?
4. Under normal circumstances, how did guests find the beach?
5. What color or shade did the sand become the further the group had swum?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Richard keep an open mind when it came to Jed?
2. What were the two ways that Richard could get to the garden? Which route did Richard take and why?
3. What gave the illusion of a confined personal area, and how was the effect spoiled?
4. Why had things become awkward between Richard and the French couple?
5. How was it that Sal was the leader?
6. What did Etienne notice about the dope that they had found on the island?
7. What had guaranteed that Richard would get batteries, and how had it come to pass?
8. Why did Richard consider himself pretty lucky?
9. Why couldn't tourists visit the national parks?
10. What was the purpose of the lashed together branches?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the shark attack. In what manner was it the start of the downfall of paradise on the beach? How did it change things for the residents of the beach, and how were things never again the same afterward?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why it was impossible for the rafters to negotiate their release. What were the main reasons for the dope guards killing the rafters? What did they fear would occur? Was this a logical fear or paranoia? How does the reader know?
Essay Topic 3
Explore Richards resentment of Bugs. What kinds of things specifically did Richard really have a problem with in regards to Bugs and his presence? Were these things intentionally done by Bugs, or were they the result of an unintentional affront? Explain your answer.
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)