|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the person's name that Richard met first?
2. Who was going on the rice run?
3. What joke were the two people playing on Richard?
4. In "Schindler's List", what color was the little girls coat?
5. When was their rendezvous?
Short Essay Questions
1. What had the Filipino guy that Richard had met taught him about jellyfish?
2. What had guaranteed that Richard would get batteries, and how had it come to pass?
3. What were the two ways that Richard could get to the garden? Which route did Richard take and why?
4. Why did Richard keep an open mind when it came to Jed?
5. What was the cue for Richard to call it a night?
6. Why did Richard's reflection come as quite a shock?
7. Why did Richard consider himself pretty lucky?
8. Why did Richard feel as though he was governed by someone else in retrospect?
9. How was it that Sal was the leader?
10. What did all the people that were taken to the beach have in common? Who was the odd person out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Attempt to explain Sal's lying for Richard. What might she have hoped to gain in her lie? What is revealed about her in the following chapters, Karl runs away? How might this tie into Sal covering for Richard?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conversations that would have likely been had with the parents of Richard and his companions upon their return from the island. Might they have sought out counseling for what they had done and seen? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Richard's character. What do his actions reveal about him? What psychological terms apply to Richard and his regard of human life and his actions? What other characters with this same psychological condition likely shared these traits with Richard and why?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)