|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Under normal circumstances, how did guests find the beach?
2. Where had Mr. Duck been sprinting?
3. What is Richard's record?
4. Why was Bugs respected?
5. How many caves led into the seaward cliffs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was different between the beach and the world and how did it make Richard feel?
2. Why did Richard's reflection come as quite a shock?
3. Why had Richard initially begun traveling?
4. What were the two ways that Richard could get to the garden? Which route did Richard take and why?
5. What explanation did Richard offer for the shape of the island on which the Beach was located?
6. What conveyed a sense or normalcy to Richard when he had woken up?
7. Why couldn't tourists visit the national parks?
8. Why had things become awkward between Richard and the French couple?
9. How did Richard feel when he had touched the walls in the room?
10. What made the map intricate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jed's reconnaissance missions for Sal. Why do you think he was given these missions? Would they contribute to Jeds' alienation from the rest of the camp, or is his alienation the result of his own doing? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the beach community must remain a secret and for what reasons everyone diligently keeps that secret. What does the beach have the potential to become if it becomes exposed? How is this an undesirable outcome? Are the methods employed at keeping the secret of the beach a bit heinous in their extremity? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the shark attack. In what manner was it the start of the downfall of paradise on the beach? How did it change things for the residents of the beach, and how were things never again the same afterward?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)