|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the guy's record with Tetris?
2. What theme song did Mr. Duck sing?
3. Who chose the chicken noodles?
4. At what time would the camp be empty?
5. What was the dimensions of the boat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the cue for Richard to call it a night?
2. What had guaranteed that Richard would get batteries, and how had it come to pass?
3. What was the problem with the rucksacks and how was it solved?
4. What was different between the beach and the world and how did it make Richard feel?
5. What did Etienne notice about the dope that they had found on the island?
6. Why couldn't tourists visit the national parks?
7. What conveyed a sense or normalcy to Richard when he had woken up?
8. What did Richard realize that he would have to do when he came to the cliffs and the waterfall? What did he imagine when he had looked at the waterfall and the pool beneath?
9. What had the Filipino guy that Richard had met taught him about jellyfish?
10. What had made Jed's day bad?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the beach and its descent from Paradise to Hell. What other descents are made throughout the book? Could these be considered some of the central themes of the book? How or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss whether or not living in paradise for any length of time would taint the way a person would perceive paradise. Explain your answer citing the book, and explain the contradiction in Richard's arrival in Koh Phangan and his return to England.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Richards more gory fantasies that occur throughout the book. What is this fascination with the violence in his own mind indicative of? Explain if this makes Richard a threat or an ally.
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)