|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of person was the group looking for to ferry them close to the beach?
2. What is the most widely understood word in the world?
3. Where did the ritual originate from?
4. How much money did the group end up saving due to Etienne's bargaining?
5. What was left behind?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Richard feel when he had touched the walls in the room?
2. What did Francoise and Etienne fear when they had seen Richard chatting with the Americans? Why was this?
3. What was the problem with the rucksacks and how was it solved?
4. What did Etienne notice about the dope that they had found on the island?
5. What had the Filipino guy that Richard had met taught him about jellyfish?
6. Why did Richard feel as though he was governed by someone else in retrospect?
7. Why couldn't tourists visit the national parks?
8. What conveyed a sense or normalcy to Richard when he had woken up?
9. Why had Richard initially begun traveling?
10. Why had things become awkward between Richard and the French couple?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Richard's character. What do his actions reveal about him? What psychological terms apply to Richard and his regard of human life and his actions? What other characters with this same psychological condition likely shared these traits with Richard and why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the camp's reaction to Richard 'doing things' for Sal. How did people go out of their way to be nice to him and friendly with him? What likely prompted this sudden interest in Richard? What perspective does the reader take of Richard's association with Sal?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss which of the characters from within the novel you would have as a friend or ally and why. What characteristics of that person would make an excellent friend? Would you trust them? Why or why not? Are there any indications throughout the novel that this character isn't trustworthy? Explain.
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)