|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of salad did Richard order?
2. What kind of tattoo did Francoise have on her wrist?
3. What was the dimensions of the boat?
4. What is the guy's record with Tetris?
5. Why did Keaty speak fast to Jean?
Short Essay Questions
1. What had made Jed's day bad?
2. How is it that Richard sees Keaty and Jed so frequently?
3. What did the camp do in response to Bugs' actions? What did they attempt to do to Richard?
4. What was different between the beach and the world and how did it make Richard feel?
5. What explanation did Richard offer for the shape of the island on which the Beach was located?
6. How did Richard feel about his parting from the two Americans the last time?
7. What was the cue for Richard to call it a night?
8. What was pissing Sal off and why was Richard doing it?
9. What did Richard find himself thinking about for the first time since his arrival on the beach?
10. Zeph and Sammy made several mistakes on their way to the commune. What were they? What was the biggest mistake the rafting group made?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the authors reasoning for having the island community addicted to marijuana. Provide an explanation for the author's reasons for including a narcotic plantation on the island, and offer up a non-drug related alternative that might have been employed.
Essay Topic 2
Explore Richards resentment of Bugs. What kinds of things specifically did Richard really have a problem with in regards to Bugs and his presence? Were these things intentionally done by Bugs, or were they the result of an unintentional affront? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Attempt to explain Sal's lying for Richard. What might she have hoped to gain in her lie? What is revealed about her in the following chapters, Karl runs away? How might this tie into Sal covering for Richard?
This section contains 1,759 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)