|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where hadn't Keaty traveled to?
2. Under normal circumstances, how did guests find the beach?
3. What did Keaty have the worst time?
4. Who was in Richard's dream?
5. What had happened to the main character's neighbor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the problem with the rucksacks and how was it solved?
2. What had made Keaty feel really bad about the squid giving people food poisoning?
3. What had the Filipino guy that Richard had met taught him about jellyfish?
4. What explanation did Richard offer for the shape of the island on which the Beach was located?
5. How did Bugs manage to make the opposition feel like dissenters?
6. What game did the three people play as they swum out to sea? How did Richard feel about the game?
7. How was Richard making Sal's life difficult?
8. Zeph and Sammy made several mistakes on their way to the commune. What were they? What was the biggest mistake the rafting group made?
9. What gave the illusion of a confined personal area, and how was the effect spoiled?
10. Why couldn't tourists visit the national parks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the shark attack. In what manner was it the start of the downfall of paradise on the beach? How did it change things for the residents of the beach, and how were things never again the same afterward?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Daffy's comment about 'living with Cancer". What do you think that comment was directed at, and why? What would Daffy consider to be cancer? How was he released from living with Cancer? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Attempt to explain Sal's lying for Richard. What might she have hoped to gain in her lie? What is revealed about her in the following chapters, Karl runs away? How might this tie into Sal covering for Richard?
This section contains 1,716 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)