|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What soft drink did Richard get?
2. What joke were the two people playing on Richard?
3. What was charming about Etienne's response?
4. What made the girl a poor sight?
5. When was their ETA?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did all the people that were taken to the beach have in common? Who was the odd person out?
2. How did Richard feel when he had touched the walls in the room?
3. What had the Filipino guy that Richard had met taught him about jellyfish?
4. What made the map intricate?
5. Why didn't Richard stay where he was in the tidal cave?
6. Why had things become awkward between Richard and the French couple?
7. How was it that Sal was the leader?
8. What had guaranteed that Richard would get batteries, and how had it come to pass?
9. What explanation did Richard offer for the shape of the island on which the Beach was located?
10. What had made Jed's day bad?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discern a reason why Richard suddenly seemed to have a lack of interest in Francoise towards the end of the novel. Compare the amount of time Richard chooses to reflect upon Francoise and think about her towards the end of the novel. How might this be considered a precursor for his own downfall?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss whether or not paradise is truly possible. What human flaws make paradise an almost impossible endeavor? Do you think it is possible for people to learn to work together indefinitely? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conversations that would have likely been had with the parents of Richard and his companions upon their return from the island. Might they have sought out counseling for what they had done and seen? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)