|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why wasn't Richard to tell Sal and Bugs about the map and the Yanks?
2. What kind of person was the group looking for to ferry them close to the beach?
3. How many people have Walkmans in the camp?
4. What is Leo's last words before Game Over?
5. What kind of competition had Richard and Etienne had?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conveyed a sense or normalcy to Richard when he had woken up?
2. What was the purpose of the lashed together branches?
3. Why had Richard initially begun traveling?
4. What did Richard realize that he would have to do when he came to the cliffs and the waterfall? What did he imagine when he had looked at the waterfall and the pool beneath?
5. Why did Richard's reflection come as quite a shock?
6. What had the Filipino guy that Richard had met taught him about jellyfish?
7. What had guaranteed that Richard would get batteries, and how had it come to pass?
8. What had made Jed's day bad?
9. What made the map intricate?
10. What was the problem with the rucksacks and how was it solved?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the beach community must remain a secret and for what reasons everyone diligently keeps that secret. What does the beach have the potential to become if it becomes exposed? How is this an undesirable outcome? Are the methods employed at keeping the secret of the beach a bit heinous in their extremity? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Daffy's comment about 'living with Cancer". What do you think that comment was directed at, and why? What would Daffy consider to be cancer? How was he released from living with Cancer? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Jed's reconnaissance missions for Sal. Why do you think he was given these missions? Would they contribute to Jeds' alienation from the rest of the camp, or is his alienation the result of his own doing? Explain your answer.
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)