|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Biagio seem to indicate is the main reason for the Baron's death?
2. For what reason has Cosimo found that Ottimo Massimo does not come back often?
3. Why does Cosimo finally have to pay attention to life again?
4. Who has written Father Sulpicio about revolutionary ideas?
5. Where does Cosimo send three French soldiers who have come through the woods?
Essay Topic 1
Cosimo's relationship with his mother has ended happily in spite of many problems earlier. Cosimo had time to know his mother as an adult and to be comfortable with her before her death. He was able to resolve differences and say good-bye. Often people don't have this opportunity.
1. Why do you think it was important and helpful for Cosimo to spend so much time with his mother in her last weeks? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
2. Cosimo had the opportunity to spend time with his mother, though it appears he did not have that with his father. Write a letter from Cosimo to his father saying what you think he might say based on the Cosimo you've seen in the past twenty chapters.
Essay Topic 2
When Cosimo meets the boys who steal fruit in the orchards around town, they first try to trap him, then invite him to join and finally, the reader is given a sense that he will become as a king to them.
1. Why do you think Cosimo is proving to be better in the trees after a couple of days then the boys, who have stolen fruit for years? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Do you think Cosimo sees nothing wrong with stealing fruit? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Cosimo is more interested in the truth of things than in the beliefs and legends among the populous.
1. Why do you think this statement is true? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think that legends are always false? Why or why not?
3. Do you think it was wrong for Cosimo to rescue Gian just because of his curiosity? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,146 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)