|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the young men fleeing into the woods?
2. How does Cosimo hitch a ride on a hot air balloon?
3. Biagio says Cosimo and Viola's relationship works best when?
4. Cosimo says love is best served when what is allowed?
5. How has Viola being in the trees changed the atmosphere in the trees?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Cosimo's father in chapter sixteen?
2. How does Cosimo get shot and what does he do during his recovery?
3. Where does Cosimo get his first glimpse of the widow that his dog has been visiting and what is she doing when he sees her?
4. What happens to Cosimo when Viola leaves?
5. What do the townspeople see and say about Viola and Cosimo?
6. What does Biagio find out about Viola's trips away?
7. How do Cosimo and Viola feel right before they separate?
8. When does Cosimo arrive in Olivabassa and what does he become there?
9. What happens to the story of the Cavalier's death?
10. How does Cosimo spend his time after the army shows up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Biagio and Cosimo are left to identify their priorities and moralities on their own, basing them on the way the world appears to them. Their camaraderie is perfect until Biagio does not join Cosimo in his boycott of the meal of snails, and Biagio changes status to astonished observer of Cosimo's single-minded resolve.
1. How do you think Biagio felt when he caved in and ate the snails? Use examples from you book to support your answer.
2. If you were Cosimo would you blame Biagio for eating the snails? Why or why not?
3. Do you think the father was wrong for sending Cosimo from the table? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Cosimo is more interested in the truth of things than in the beliefs and legends among the populous.
1. Why do you think this statement is true? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think that legends are always false? Why or why not?
3. Do you think it was wrong for Cosimo to rescue Gian just because of his curiosity? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Cosimo and his father come to an agreement that allows for the continuing of Cosimo's education because the Baron is finally willing to approach his son like a free-thinking individual whose agreement is needed in order to know how to proceed.
1. What is the difference between a parent who respects a child as a free-thinking individual and one who doesn't?
2. Do you think Cosimo is old enough to be seen as a free-thinking individual? Why or why not?
3. What do you think are some of the ways a parent can demonstrate that they see their child as a free-thinking individual rather than simply an extension of the parent?
This section contains 1,220 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)