|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Biagio wish about his and his brother's ideas they had when they were young?
2. With what do the Cossacks come back?
3. What color are Ursula's eyes?
4. Why are the young men fleeing into the woods?
5. What does Cosimo see hope for in his dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cosimo do in specific to the soldiers in the woods?
2. What brings Cosimo out of his depression and what does he do?
3. How do Cosimo and Viola feel right before they separate?
4. Describe the dream Cosimo had in chapter twenty-nine.
5. How does Cosimo die?
6. What does Cosimo do in general about the soldiers wandering around?
7. Where does the girl get her first glimpse of Cosimo and what does she do?
8. What is written about Cosimo's love life in chapter nineteen and how is it described?
9. What happens to the story of the Cavalier's death?
10. What does Biagio say when he reflects on the ideals he and his brother had as youth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Biagio and Cosimo are left to identify their priorities and moralities on their own, basing them on the way the world appears to them. Their camaraderie is perfect until Biagio does not join Cosimo in his boycott of the meal of snails, and Biagio changes status to astonished observer of Cosimo's single-minded resolve.
1. How do you think Biagio felt when he caved in and ate the snails? Use examples from you book to support your answer.
2. If you were Cosimo would you blame Biagio for eating the snails? Why or why not?
3. Do you think the father was wrong for sending Cosimo from the table? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The most valuable lesson Cosimo learns from the eccentric recluse, the Cavalier, is the importance of guarding himself against the loneliness to which his recent trend toward isolation might possibly lead.
1. Why do you think Cosimo might learn this lesson from the Cavalier? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. How are the Cavalier and Cosimo similar and dissimilar in their interactions with other people? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. In what ways do you think loneliness would happen in Cosimo's life?
Essay Topic 3
The Generalessa has gotten over her initial panic, and she and the Baron decide to take a nonchalant stroll through the garden so they might ignore Cosimo and thereby antagonize him out of the trees.
1. Why do you think Cosimo's parents believe he will come down from the trees because of this behavior? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Do you think Cosimo's parents are irresponsible for leaving him in the tree all night? Why or why not?
3. What would you do if you were Cosimo's parents?
This section contains 1,301 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)