|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Cosimo when Viola leaves?
2. What does Cosimo do when he sees the group?
3. Where does Cosimo leave the hot air balloon?
4. What noise does Cosimo have the people do in the distance surrounding the collection area?
5. Why does Cosimo keep the pirate's treasure a secret?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cosimo die?
2. What is written about Cosimo's love life in chapter nineteen and how is it described?
3. What brings Cosimo out of his depression and what does he do?
4. What happens to Cosimo's father in chapter sixteen?
5. What does Cosimo do in general about the soldiers wandering around?
6. Where does the girl get her first glimpse of Cosimo and what does she do?
7. What results from Cosimo convincing Sulpico that he is a Freemason?
8. How does Cosimo set up the protest against tithes?
9. What happens to Cosimo when Viola leaves?
10. When does Cosimo arrive in Olivabassa and what does he become there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the trees, he and the boys are quite able to exist as equals, on the ground the boys return to sad, filthy places to be scolded and beaten by mothers who refuse to feed them if they have not been able to steal enough to feed themselves. This is the beginning of social awareness in young Cosimo.
1. How do you think Cosimo's beliefs about the world changes when he follows the boys home? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Why do you think a rich boy like Cosimo has never seen or known how poor people live? Do you think this situation exist today? Why or why not?
3. How do you think wealthy people in the United States might change if they lived in the poorer part of town for a year?
Essay Topic 2
When Cosimo meets the boys who steal fruit in the orchards around town, they first try to trap him, then invite him to join and finally, the reader is given a sense that he will become as a king to them.
1. Why do you think Cosimo is proving to be better in the trees after a couple of days then the boys, who have stolen fruit for years? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Do you think Cosimo sees nothing wrong with stealing fruit? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Cosimo is more interested in the truth of things than in the beliefs and legends among the populous.
1. Why do you think this statement is true? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think that legends are always false? Why or why not?
3. Do you think it was wrong for Cosimo to rescue Gian just because of his curiosity? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,337 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)