|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who collects the tithes from the people?
2. How does Cosimo deal with the threat of the soldiers?
3. Who comes back to Ombrosa with the troops?
4. What happens to Cosimo when Viola leaves?
5. What does Biagio do after the Generalessa dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Cosimo arrive in Olivabassa and what does he become there?
2. Describe the dream Cosimo had in chapter twenty-nine.
3. How does Cosimo feel towards Ursula and what does he tell her father?
4. What happens to Ottimo Massimo in chapter twenty?
5. How does Cosimo get shot and what does he do during his recovery?
6. What do the townspeople see and say about Viola and Cosimo?
7. Where does Cosimo get his first glimpse of the widow that his dog has been visiting and what is she doing when he sees her?
8. What does Biagio say when he reflects on the ideals he and his brother had as youth?
9. What happens to Cosimo's father in chapter sixteen?
10. How does Cosimo spend his time after the army shows up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cosimo is more interested in the truth of things than in the beliefs and legends among the populous.
1. Why do you think this statement is true? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think that legends are always false? Why or why not?
3. Do you think it was wrong for Cosimo to rescue Gian just because of his curiosity? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
When Cosimo meets the boys who steal fruit in the orchards around town, they first try to trap him, then invite him to join and finally, the reader is given a sense that he will become as a king to them.
1. Why do you think Cosimo is proving to be better in the trees after a couple of days then the boys, who have stolen fruit for years? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Do you think Cosimo sees nothing wrong with stealing fruit? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Biagio and Cosimo are left to identify their priorities and moralities on their own, basing them on the way the world appears to them. Their camaraderie is perfect until Biagio does not join Cosimo in his boycott of the meal of snails, and Biagio changes status to astonished observer of Cosimo's single-minded resolve.
1. How do you think Biagio felt when he caved in and ate the snails? Use examples from you book to support your answer.
2. If you were Cosimo would you blame Biagio for eating the snails? Why or why not?
3. Do you think the father was wrong for sending Cosimo from the table? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,186 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)