|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Biagio called home?
2. When Cosimo writes a treatise on living in the trees to whom does he send it?
3. What does Viola say Cosimo's idea of love is?
4. Why does Cosimo finally have to pay attention to life again?
5. How does Cosimo deal with the threat of the soldiers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Cosimo meet after his dream?
2. Where does Cosimo get his first glimpse of the widow that his dog has been visiting and what is she doing when he sees her?
3. Who turns up again in Cosimo's life and who is with him?
4. What army show up in chapter twenty-eight and who is almost arrested by them?
5. What does Cosimo do in general about the soldiers wandering around?
6. What does Biagio say about Viola and Cosimo's relationship?
7. How do Cosimo and Viola feel right before they separate?
8. Where does the girl get her first glimpse of Cosimo and what does she do?
9. What is written about Cosimo's love life in chapter nineteen and how is it described?
10. What results from Cosimo convincing Sulpico that he is a Freemason?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Biagio and Cosimo are left to identify their priorities and moralities on their own, basing them on the way the world appears to them. Their camaraderie is perfect until Biagio does not join Cosimo in his boycott of the meal of snails, and Biagio changes status to astonished observer of Cosimo's single-minded resolve.
1. How do you think Biagio felt when he caved in and ate the snails? Use examples from you book to support your answer.
2. If you were Cosimo would you blame Biagio for eating the snails? Why or why not?
3. Do you think the father was wrong for sending Cosimo from the table? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Cosimo's relationship with his mother has ended happily in spite of many problems earlier. Cosimo had time to know his mother as an adult and to be comfortable with her before her death. He was able to resolve differences and say good-bye. Often people don't have this opportunity.
1. Why do you think it was important and helpful for Cosimo to spend so much time with his mother in her last weeks? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
2. Cosimo had the opportunity to spend time with his mother, though it appears he did not have that with his father. Write a letter from Cosimo to his father saying what you think he might say based on the Cosimo you've seen in the past twenty chapters.
Essay Topic 3
The Baron, has lost hope that his eldest son, Cosimo, will follow exactly the path of nobility he hoped he would.
1. Cosimo is obviously not doing what his father wants him to do. Do you think this makes him a bad child? Why or why not?
2. If your mother or father wanted you to enter a career field you didn't want, what would you do? How would you tell your parent?
3. Do you think children should have as much freedom at Cosimo's age as he does? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)