|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the girl doing while she and Cosimo are talking?
2. What do the girl and Cosimo decide before he leaves?
3. What do the Austrians say about the woods?
4. What happens when a jealous suitor goes after Cosimo?
5. What does Biagio think of Cosimo and the girl?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Cosimo and Viola feel right before they separate?
2. Who does Cosimo meet at the Spaniard community that answers his need for love? What happens between them?
3. What happens to Cosimo when Viola leaves?
4. What does Biagio say about Viola and Cosimo's relationship?
5. What do the townspeople see and say about Viola and Cosimo?
6. When does Cosimo arrive in Olivabassa and what does he become there?
7. What does Biagio say when he reflects on the ideals he and his brother had as youth?
8. How does Cosimo get shot and what does he do during his recovery?
9. What happens to Ottimo Massimo in chapter twenty?
10. What happens to the story of the Cavalier's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Cosimo meets the boys who steal fruit in the orchards around town, they first try to trap him, then invite him to join and finally, the reader is given a sense that he will become as a king to them.
1. Why do you think Cosimo is proving to be better in the trees after a couple of days then the boys, who have stolen fruit for years? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Do you think Cosimo sees nothing wrong with stealing fruit? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The reader may easily suppose, then, that he is a generous and doting lover, and recognizes in each woman, as he does in each of the other people with which he has interacted in the reader's observation, the things that make her valuable and unique, and in so recognizing it, helps her to recognize and celebrate it also.
1. Although this sentence was written about a lover, it can also be applied to any relationship. How do you think a person can make another feel valuable and unique? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Describe a time in your life when you felt valuable and unique. Did you feel that way because of what someone else said or did?
3. Why do you think people in general like to feel valuable and unique? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Chapter six resolves the childhood connection Cosimo has had with Viola, and foreshadows the intensity of the admiration he will have for her.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Explain the use of foreshadow in this sentence. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Taking from the first six chapters, why do you think Cosimo admires Viola so much?
This section contains 1,352 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)