|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the girl doing while she and Cosimo are talking?
2. How does Cosimo spend his time?
3. How do the Spaniards appear to Cosimo?
4. What do Cosimo and Prince Andrej find they have in common?
5. What has Cosimo told the Spaniards is his reason for staying in the trees?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Cosimo go to see in Olivabassa, and what does he find there?
2. Who turns up again in Cosimo's life and who is with him?
3. How does Cosimo spend his time after the army shows up?
4. How does Cosimo feel towards Ursula and what does he tell her father?
5. How does Cosimo die?
6. What does Biagio say when he reflects on the ideals he and his brother had as youth?
7. What does Biagio find out about Viola's trips away?
8. How do Cosimo and Viola feel right before they separate?
9. What do the townspeople see and say about Viola and Cosimo?
10. Describe the dream Cosimo had in chapter twenty-nine.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Cosimo never tries, he lives with an unapologetic conviction that life can be lived fully, selflessly, even nobly, in unbroken communion with nature.
1. What do you think this statement means? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think people in America today could live the kind of life Cosimo envisions, though not necessarily living in trees? Why or why not?
3. How do you think life in modern American would be different if most people believed the way Cosimo does?
Essay Topic 2
Biagio and Cosimo are left to identify their priorities and moralities on their own, basing them on the way the world appears to them. Their camaraderie is perfect until Biagio does not join Cosimo in his boycott of the meal of snails, and Biagio changes status to astonished observer of Cosimo's single-minded resolve.
1. How do you think Biagio felt when he caved in and ate the snails? Use examples from you book to support your answer.
2. If you were Cosimo would you blame Biagio for eating the snails? Why or why not?
3. Do you think the father was wrong for sending Cosimo from the table? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The Baron, has lost hope that his eldest son, Cosimo, will follow exactly the path of nobility he hoped he would.
1. Cosimo is obviously not doing what his father wants him to do. Do you think this makes him a bad child? Why or why not?
2. If your mother or father wanted you to enter a career field you didn't want, what would you do? How would you tell your parent?
3. Do you think children should have as much freedom at Cosimo's age as he does? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,142 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)