|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Biagio says Cosimo and Viola's relationship works best when?
2. What is Cosimo's next project after Viola leaves?
3. What does Cosimo confess when Ursula's father asks about his intentions?
4. What does Biagio think of Cosimo and the girl?
5. What does Biagio seem to indicate is the main reason for the Baron's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cosimo demonstrate his support for justice and fairness in chapter twenty-six?
2. Where does the girl get her first glimpse of Cosimo and what does she do?
3. What does Biagio find out about Viola's trips away?
4. How does Cosimo set up the protest against tithes?
5. What results from Cosimo convincing Sulpico that he is a Freemason?
6. Who turns up again in Cosimo's life and who is with him?
7. Describe the dream Cosimo had in chapter twenty-nine.
8. What kind of stories does Biagio tell at the beginning of chapter twenty and who has he spoken with about his brother?
9. How does Cosimo die?
10. Who does Cosimo go to see in Olivabassa, and what does he find there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When the men approach the spot, he will make them think they are surrounded by armed men and so scare them all away and make his uncle think he has been exposed. Thereby, he will end their association without having to actually expose his uncle.
1. When Cosimo set up his plan he did not intend to hurt his uncle. Do you think he should be blamed for the Cavalier's death? Why or why not?
2. What would you do if a friend or relative of yours was helping criminals? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Cosimo's relationship with his mother has ended happily in spite of many problems earlier. Cosimo had time to know his mother as an adult and to be comfortable with her before her death. He was able to resolve differences and say good-bye. Often people don't have this opportunity.
1. Why do you think it was important and helpful for Cosimo to spend so much time with his mother in her last weeks? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
2. Cosimo had the opportunity to spend time with his mother, though it appears he did not have that with his father. Write a letter from Cosimo to his father saying what you think he might say based on the Cosimo you've seen in the past twenty chapters.
Essay Topic 3
The lesson Cosimo learns in chapter fourteen is that a problem that unites people is a powerful force for good as long as it exists.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think uniting people for a bad reason can be as powerful as for good? Why or why not?
3. If you had a task to do that would require a group to finish it, how would you go about organizing and inspiring them?
This section contains 1,267 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)