|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the townspeople call Cosimo?
2. How has Viola being in the trees changed the atmosphere in the trees?
3. Who has written Father Sulpicio about revolutionary ideas?
4. How do the townspeople feel about Cosimo and Viola's relationship?
5. What do Cosimo and Prince Andrej find they have in common?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the townspeople see and say about Viola and Cosimo?
2. What is written about Cosimo's love life in chapter nineteen and how is it described?
3. How does Cosimo spend his time after the army shows up?
4. How does Cosimo feel towards Ursula and what does he tell her father?
5. How does Cosimo set up the protest against tithes?
6. What army show up in chapter twenty-eight and who is almost arrested by them?
7. How do Cosimo and Viola feel right before they separate?
8. Who does Cosimo go to see in Olivabassa, and what does he find there?
9. Who does Cosimo meet at the Spaniard community that answers his need for love? What happens between them?
10. What happens to the story of the Cavalier's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Cosimo meets the boys who steal fruit in the orchards around town, they first try to trap him, then invite him to join and finally, the reader is given a sense that he will become as a king to them.
1. Why do you think Cosimo is proving to be better in the trees after a couple of days then the boys, who have stolen fruit for years? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Do you think Cosimo sees nothing wrong with stealing fruit? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
When the men approach the spot, he will make them think they are surrounded by armed men and so scare them all away and make his uncle think he has been exposed. Thereby, he will end their association without having to actually expose his uncle.
1. When Cosimo set up his plan he did not intend to hurt his uncle. Do you think he should be blamed for the Cavalier's death? Why or why not?
2. What would you do if a friend or relative of yours was helping criminals? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Cosimo and his father come to an agreement that allows for the continuing of Cosimo's education because the Baron is finally willing to approach his son like a free-thinking individual whose agreement is needed in order to know how to proceed.
1. What is the difference between a parent who respects a child as a free-thinking individual and one who doesn't?
2. Do you think Cosimo is old enough to be seen as a free-thinking individual? Why or why not?
3. What do you think are some of the ways a parent can demonstrate that they see their child as a free-thinking individual rather than simply an extension of the parent?
This section contains 1,167 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)