|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cosimo claim to be to the group?
2. What does Viola do when she thinks she's not important enough to Cosimo?
3. Why are the townspeople fascinated with his love life?
4. Why does Viola leave?
5. How does Cosimo hitch a ride on a hot air balloon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Cosimo's father in chapter sixteen?
2. What happens to Cosimo when Viola leaves?
3. What does Biagio find out about Viola's trips away?
4. Who turns up again in Cosimo's life and who is with him?
5. What brings Cosimo out of his depression and what does he do?
6. What is written about Cosimo's love life in chapter nineteen and how is it described?
7. How does Cosimo demonstrate his support for justice and fairness in chapter twenty-six?
8. What does Cosimo do in general about the soldiers wandering around?
9. What does Biagio say about Viola and Cosimo's relationship?
10. How does Cosimo get shot and what does he do during his recovery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The most valuable lesson Cosimo learns from the eccentric recluse, the Cavalier, is the importance of guarding himself against the loneliness to which his recent trend toward isolation might possibly lead.
1. Why do you think Cosimo might learn this lesson from the Cavalier? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. How are the Cavalier and Cosimo similar and dissimilar in their interactions with other people? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. In what ways do you think loneliness would happen in Cosimo's life?
Essay Topic 2
Cosimo's intentions are pure and so he attributes pure intentions to the people around him.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think someone could live in modern America with Cosimo's level of innocence and optimism about people? Why or why not?
3. Do you think living and see the world as Cosimo does makes him a happier person than most? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
When Cosimo meets the boys who steal fruit in the orchards around town, they first try to trap him, then invite him to join and finally, the reader is given a sense that he will become as a king to them.
1. Why do you think Cosimo is proving to be better in the trees after a couple of days then the boys, who have stolen fruit for years? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Do you think Cosimo sees nothing wrong with stealing fruit? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,175 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)