|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Cosimo change the name of his newspaper by the end of Chapter 26?
2. What does Cosimo contribute to the secret ceremonies?
3. Why is a girl on a horse riding hard across the field for the trees?
4. What has Cosimo told the Spaniards is his reason for staying in the trees?
5. Why did Biagio climb into the trees when his brother was 65 years old?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the townspeople see and say about Viola and Cosimo?
2. What happens to the story of the Cavalier's death?
3. How does Cosimo die?
4. How does Cosimo spend his time after the army shows up?
5. Who turns up again in Cosimo's life and who is with him?
6. What does Cosimo do in specific to the soldiers in the woods?
7. Who does Cosimo go to see in Olivabassa, and what does he find there?
8. What is written about Cosimo's love life in chapter nineteen and how is it described?
9. What results from Cosimo convincing Sulpico that he is a Freemason?
10. What happens to Cosimo's father in chapter sixteen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Viola and Cosimo are idealists, but with such fundamentally disparate ideals they can never be compatible unless one of them is willing to open themselves to adopting the other's point of view.
1. Who do you think would have an easier time changing, Viola or Cosimo? Why?
2. Do you think it is wise for someone to give up beliefs in order to be with someone? Why or why not?
3. Do you think either Viola or Cosimo is the most right in their last arguments? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The most valuable lesson Cosimo learns from the eccentric recluse, the Cavalier, is the importance of guarding himself against the loneliness to which his recent trend toward isolation might possibly lead.
1. Why do you think Cosimo might learn this lesson from the Cavalier? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. How are the Cavalier and Cosimo similar and dissimilar in their interactions with other people? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. In what ways do you think loneliness would happen in Cosimo's life?
Essay Topic 3
Cosimo is more interested in the truth of things than in the beliefs and legends among the populous.
1. Why do you think this statement is true? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think that legends are always false? Why or why not?
3. Do you think it was wrong for Cosimo to rescue Gian just because of his curiosity? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,233 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)