|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does he help the French lay out roads?
2. How does Cosimo spend his time?
3. What does Cosimo do with the French soldiers?
4. What is the girl doing while she and Cosimo are talking?
5. What role does Cosimo slip into with the Spaniards?
Essay Topic 1
Revolutionary lifestyle and revolutionary thinking lead to revolution.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Explain why the American Revolution demonstrates this principle.
3. Do you think Cosimo would have developed such revolutionary thinking had he not taken to the trees? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Biagio and Cosimo are left to identify their priorities and moralities on their own, basing them on the way the world appears to them. Their camaraderie is perfect until Biagio does not join Cosimo in his boycott of the meal of snails, and Biagio changes status to astonished observer of Cosimo's single-minded resolve.
1. How do you think Biagio felt when he caved in and ate the snails? Use examples from you book to support your answer.
2. If you were Cosimo would you blame Biagio for eating the snails? Why or why not?
3. Do you think the father was wrong for sending Cosimo from the table? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Cosimo's relationship with his mother has ended happily in spite of many problems earlier. Cosimo had time to know his mother as an adult and to be comfortable with her before her death. He was able to resolve differences and say good-bye. Often people don't have this opportunity.
1. Why do you think it was important and helpful for Cosimo to spend so much time with his mother in her last weeks? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
2. Cosimo had the opportunity to spend time with his mother, though it appears he did not have that with his father. Write a letter from Cosimo to his father saying what you think he might say based on the Cosimo you've seen in the past twenty chapters.
This section contains 2,122 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)