|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cosimo do that his mother enjoys?
2. Who has written Father Sulpicio about revolutionary ideas?
3. What is Cosimo's next project after Viola leaves?
4. What does he tell the vintners about the tithes that year?
5. How do the Spaniards appear to Cosimo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the story of the Cavalier's death?
2. When does Cosimo arrive in Olivabassa and what does he become there?
3. Who does Cosimo meet at the Spaniard community that answers his need for love? What happens between them?
4. What does Cosimo do in specific to the soldiers in the woods?
5. What results from Cosimo convincing Sulpico that he is a Freemason?
6. What does Biagio find out about Viola's trips away?
7. What happens to Cosimo's father in chapter sixteen?
8. How does Cosimo die?
9. How does Cosimo feel towards Ursula and what does he tell her father?
10. What do the townspeople see and say about Viola and Cosimo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Baron, has lost hope that his eldest son, Cosimo, will follow exactly the path of nobility he hoped he would.
1. Cosimo is obviously not doing what his father wants him to do. Do you think this makes him a bad child? Why or why not?
2. If your mother or father wanted you to enter a career field you didn't want, what would you do? How would you tell your parent?
3. Do you think children should have as much freedom at Cosimo's age as he does? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Cosimo and his father come to an agreement that allows for the continuing of Cosimo's education because the Baron is finally willing to approach his son like a free-thinking individual whose agreement is needed in order to know how to proceed.
1. What is the difference between a parent who respects a child as a free-thinking individual and one who doesn't?
2. Do you think Cosimo is old enough to be seen as a free-thinking individual? Why or why not?
3. What do you think are some of the ways a parent can demonstrate that they see their child as a free-thinking individual rather than simply an extension of the parent?
Essay Topic 3
Chapter six resolves the childhood connection Cosimo has had with Viola, and foreshadows the intensity of the admiration he will have for her.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Explain the use of foreshadow in this sentence. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Taking from the first six chapters, why do you think Cosimo admires Viola so much?
This section contains 1,190 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)