Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Biagio seem to indicate is the main reason for the Baron's death?
2. For what reason has Cosimo found that Ottimo Massimo does not come back often?
3. Why does Cosimo finally have to pay attention to life again?
4. Who has written Father Sulpicio about revolutionary ideas?
5. Where does Cosimo send three French soldiers who have come through the woods?
This is the chapter containing the recounting of the Baron's decline and eventual death. Sadness over the loss of his half brother, the absence of his daughter as she becomes the wife of a man with a terribly unpleasant family, the fact that Biagio's youth keeps him from being a satisfactory companion and loss of his dream of a noble lifestyle for his family all mean that he declines quickly.
1. Do you think emotional stress and loss can cause someone to sicken and die? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Cosimo should feel some responsibility for his father's death? Why or why not?
3. What do you think Cosimo could have done to help his father more? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Both Viola and Cosimo are idealists, but with such fundamentally disparate ideals they can never be compatible unless one of them is willing to open themselves to adopting the other's point of view.
1. Who do you think would have an easier time changing, Viola or Cosimo? Why?
2. Do you think it is wise for someone to give up beliefs in order to be with someone? Why or why not?
3. Do you think either Viola or Cosimo is the most right in their last arguments? Why?
Cosimo and his father come to an agreement that allows for the continuing of Cosimo's education because the Baron is finally willing to approach his son like a free-thinking individual whose agreement is needed in order to know how to proceed.
1. What is the difference between a parent who respects a child as a free-thinking individual and one who doesn't?
2. Do you think Cosimo is old enough to be seen as a free-thinking individual? Why or why not?
3. What do you think are some of the ways a parent can demonstrate that they see their child as a free-thinking individual rather than simply an extension of the parent?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)