|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cosimo's mother communicate with him?
2. What is one of the main desires the Baron has concerning his son's choice of living arrangements?
3. Why is Cosimo's father so upset about him being gone?
4. What does Cosimo see pirates doing one night?
5. Who watches Viola closely at her house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cosimo tell Viola about a decision and what happens when he tells her?
2. How does the Baron work out Cosimo's willingness to continue his education?
3. What does Cosimo tell Biagio about their uncle's activities and what does he want to do about them?
4. What is Cosimo's thoughts concerning the people living below him?
5. What does Biagio reveal about the Cavalier's story?
6. Describe an activity Cosimo has learned well and that his dog helps him with.
7. Who is Sinforosa?
8. Why is Cosimo's mother nicknamed the Generalessa?
9. What does Cosimo do when he sees the pirates unloading the boats and what happens as a result of his actions?
10. With what important meal does the book open with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The most valuable lesson Cosimo learns from the eccentric recluse, the Cavalier, is the importance of guarding himself against the loneliness to which his recent trend toward isolation might possibly lead.
1. Why do you think Cosimo might learn this lesson from the Cavalier? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. How are the Cavalier and Cosimo similar and dissimilar in their interactions with other people? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. In what ways do you think loneliness would happen in Cosimo's life?
Essay Topic 2
Cosimo's relationship with his mother has ended happily in spite of many problems earlier. Cosimo had time to know his mother as an adult and to be comfortable with her before her death. He was able to resolve differences and say good-bye. Often people don't have this opportunity.
1. Why do you think it was important and helpful for Cosimo to spend so much time with his mother in her last weeks? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
2. Cosimo had the opportunity to spend time with his mother, though it appears he did not have that with his father. Write a letter from Cosimo to his father saying what you think he might say based on the Cosimo you've seen in the past twenty chapters.
Essay Topic 3
Revolutionary lifestyle and revolutionary thinking lead to revolution.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Explain why the American Revolution demonstrates this principle.
3. Do you think Cosimo would have developed such revolutionary thinking had he not taken to the trees? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,182 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)