|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cosimo's family receive the news of his popularity?
2. Who follows Viola when she goes riding on her horse?
3. What does Cosimo's father yell out to him at dinner?
4. What job does Cosimo do for local growers?
5. Why is Cosimo curious about the thieve, Gian de Brughi?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Cosimo go to see in Olivabassa, and what does he find there?
2. Why does the Cavlier slip off the Baron's land occasionally and how does Cosimo help him?
3. How does Cosimo stay warm in the trees in the winter?
4. How does Cosimo set up the protest against tithes?
5. What do Cosimo's parents want to know about the men Cosimo enlisted for his project?
6. What brings Cosimo out of his depression and what does he do?
7. What does Biagio reveal about the Cavalier's story?
8. How do Cosimo and Viola feel right before they separate?
9. What does Cosimo do in general about the soldiers wandering around?
10. What army show up in chapter twenty-eight and who is almost arrested by them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The lesson Cosimo learns in chapter fourteen is that a problem that unites people is a powerful force for good as long as it exists.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think uniting people for a bad reason can be as powerful as for good? Why or why not?
3. If you had a task to do that would require a group to finish it, how would you go about organizing and inspiring them?
Essay Topic 2
While Cosimo never tries, he lives with an unapologetic conviction that life can be lived fully, selflessly, even nobly, in unbroken communion with nature.
1. What do you think this statement means? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think people in America today could live the kind of life Cosimo envisions, though not necessarily living in trees? Why or why not?
3. How do you think life in modern American would be different if most people believed the way Cosimo does?
Essay Topic 3
Biagio wants all the more to assure Cosimo of his loyalty despite his remaining on the ground, and so agrees to supply him with everything he requires to set up a more permanent dwelling in the trees.
1. Why do you think Biagio is not joining his brother in the trees? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Do you think Biagio is right or wrong for making it easier for his brother to remain in the trees? Why or why not?
3. What do you think of Cosimo's attempts to pressure his younger brother into helping him?
This section contains 2,973 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)