|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sinforosa get around the village?
2. What eventually happens to the tree after it was covered in glue?
3. What does Cosimo's family celebrate with a big affair?
4. What do the pirates do to the Cavalier?
5. What is Cosimo learning from the people below him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Sinforosa?
2. What does Cosimo tell Viola about a decision and what happens when he tells her?
3. What does Cosimo's father request of him when he goes out to see him?
4. How does Cosimo's mother feel by the evening about Cosimo still being in the trees?
5. How does the Baron work out Cosimo's willingness to continue his education?
6. How does Cosimo's mother and father try to get him to come down from the trees and what does Biagio do?
7. What happens when Cosimo's father sends the Cavalier to capture him?
8. How does Cosimo's first encounter with the fruit thieves happen?
9. What does Biagio reveal about the Cavalier's story?
10. What does Biagio mourn in chapter four?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Generalessa has gotten over her initial panic, and she and the Baron decide to take a nonchalant stroll through the garden so they might ignore Cosimo and thereby antagonize him out of the trees.
1. Why do you think Cosimo's parents believe he will come down from the trees because of this behavior? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Do you think Cosimo's parents are irresponsible for leaving him in the tree all night? Why or why not?
3. What would you do if you were Cosimo's parents?
Essay Topic 2
Biagio wants all the more to assure Cosimo of his loyalty despite his remaining on the ground, and so agrees to supply him with everything he requires to set up a more permanent dwelling in the trees.
1. Why do you think Biagio is not joining his brother in the trees? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Do you think Biagio is right or wrong for making it easier for his brother to remain in the trees? Why or why not?
3. What do you think of Cosimo's attempts to pressure his younger brother into helping him?
Essay Topic 3
Both Viola and Cosimo are idealists, but with such fundamentally disparate ideals they can never be compatible unless one of them is willing to open themselves to adopting the other's point of view.
1. Who do you think would have an easier time changing, Viola or Cosimo? Why?
2. Do you think it is wise for someone to give up beliefs in order to be with someone? Why or why not?
3. Do you think either Viola or Cosimo is the most right in their last arguments? Why?
This section contains 1,143 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)