Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of talent does Battista have?
2. Why do the boys' mothers get upset with them?
3. How does the Count that visits feel about Cosimo's life?
4. What does Cosimo's father yell out to him at dinner?
5. Who helps Cosimo with his plans?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cosimo spend his time after the army shows up?
2. What is Cosimo's thoughts concerning the people living below him?
3. Why is Cosimo's mother nicknamed the Generalessa?
4. What results from Cosimo convincing Sulpico that he is a Freemason?
5. Where does the girl get her first glimpse of Cosimo and what does she do?
6. Who turns up again in Cosimo's life and who is with him?
7. With what important meal does the book open with?
8. Describe an activity Cosimo has learned well and that his dog helps him with.
9. How does the Count who visits the family feel about Cosimo's choice?
10. What do the townspeople see and say about Viola and Cosimo?
The most valuable lesson Cosimo learns from the eccentric recluse, the Cavalier, is the importance of guarding himself against the loneliness to which his recent trend toward isolation might possibly lead.
1. Why do you think Cosimo might learn this lesson from the Cavalier? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. How are the Cavalier and Cosimo similar and dissimilar in their interactions with other people? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. In what ways do you think loneliness would happen in Cosimo's life?
Both Viola and Cosimo are idealists, but with such fundamentally disparate ideals they can never be compatible unless one of them is willing to open themselves to adopting the other's point of view.
1. Who do you think would have an easier time changing, Viola or Cosimo? Why?
2. Do you think it is wise for someone to give up beliefs in order to be with someone? Why or why not?
3. Do you think either Viola or Cosimo is the most right in their last arguments? Why?
This is the chapter containing the recounting of the Baron's decline and eventual death. Sadness over the loss of his half brother, the absence of his daughter as she becomes the wife of a man with a terribly unpleasant family, the fact that Biagio's youth keeps him from being a satisfactory companion and loss of his dream of a noble lifestyle for his family all mean that he declines quickly.
1. Do you think emotional stress and loss can cause someone to sicken and die? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Cosimo should feel some responsibility for his father's death? Why or why not?
3. What do you think Cosimo could have done to help his father more? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)