|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cosimo decide to build?
2. Why does the Abbe listen so carefully to Cosimo?
3. Why can Cosimo move from tree to tree?
4. What happens when the townspeople and the pirates meet?
5. Why to thieves drag Gian de Brughi from his hiding place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Biagio do in the morning after his brother spent the first night in the trees?
2. Why does Cosimo begin writing to authors of books he likes?
3. What does Cosimo do to impress Viola?
4. What is Cosimo's thoughts concerning the people living below him?
5. Describe an activity Cosimo has learned well and that his dog helps him with.
6. With what important meal does the book open with?
7. How does Cosimo stay warm in the trees in the winter?
8. What do Cosimo's parents want to know about the men Cosimo enlisted for his project?
9. Why does the Cavlier slip off the Baron's land occasionally and how does Cosimo help him?
10. What does Biagio reveal about the Cavalier's story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Baron, has lost hope that his eldest son, Cosimo, will follow exactly the path of nobility he hoped he would.
1. Cosimo is obviously not doing what his father wants him to do. Do you think this makes him a bad child? Why or why not?
2. If your mother or father wanted you to enter a career field you didn't want, what would you do? How would you tell your parent?
3. Do you think children should have as much freedom at Cosimo's age as he does? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Cosimo's intentions are pure and so he attributes pure intentions to the people around him.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think someone could live in modern America with Cosimo's level of innocence and optimism about people? Why or why not?
3. Do you think living and see the world as Cosimo does makes him a happier person than most? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In the trees, he and the boys are quite able to exist as equals, on the ground the boys return to sad, filthy places to be scolded and beaten by mothers who refuse to feed them if they have not been able to steal enough to feed themselves. This is the beginning of social awareness in young Cosimo.
1. How do you think Cosimo's beliefs about the world changes when he follows the boys home? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Why do you think a rich boy like Cosimo has never seen or known how poor people live? Do you think this situation exist today? Why or why not?
3. How do you think wealthy people in the United States might change if they lived in the poorer part of town for a year?
This section contains 1,228 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)