|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sinforosa do for the band of little boys?
2. What does Cosimo do when Gian de Brughi is captured?
3. Why is Cosimo curious about the thieve, Gian de Brughi?
4. Who helps Cosimo with his plans?
5. Who does Cosimo's father send after him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cosimo begin writing to authors of books he likes?
2. Why does the Cavlier slip off the Baron's land occasionally and how does Cosimo help him?
3. With what important meal does the book open with?
4. What does Battista do to make Cosimo come home and what is the result of her action?
5. How does Cosimo's mother feel by the evening about Cosimo still being in the trees?
6. What does Cosimo tell Biagio about their uncle's activities and what does he want to do about them?
7. What do the brigands around town do about Gian de Brughi being in hiding?
8. How does Cosimo's first encounter with the fruit thieves happen?
9. What does Biagio mourn in chapter four?
10. How does the Count who visits the family feel about Cosimo's choice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The most valuable lesson Cosimo learns from the eccentric recluse, the Cavalier, is the importance of guarding himself against the loneliness to which his recent trend toward isolation might possibly lead.
1. Why do you think Cosimo might learn this lesson from the Cavalier? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. How are the Cavalier and Cosimo similar and dissimilar in their interactions with other people? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. In what ways do you think loneliness would happen in Cosimo's life?
Essay Topic 2
Cosimo's intentions are pure and so he attributes pure intentions to the people around him.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think someone could live in modern America with Cosimo's level of innocence and optimism about people? Why or why not?
3. Do you think living and see the world as Cosimo does makes him a happier person than most? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Cosimo is more interested in the truth of things than in the beliefs and legends among the populous.
1. Why do you think this statement is true? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think that legends are always false? Why or why not?
3. Do you think it was wrong for Cosimo to rescue Gian just because of his curiosity? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,255 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)