|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the main desires the Baron has concerning his son's choice of living arrangements?
2. Why is Cosimo curious about the thieve, Gian de Brughi?
3. Why does the Abbe listen so carefully to Cosimo?
4. What do the fruit boys learn from Cosimo?
5. How does Cosimo's family receive the news of his popularity?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Cosimo curious about Gian de Brughi?
2. How does Cosimo's first encounter with the fruit thieves happen?
3. What do the brigands around town do about Gian de Brughi being in hiding?
4. What happens when Cosimo's father sends the Cavalier to capture him?
5. What do Cosimo's parents want to know about the men Cosimo enlisted for his project?
6. What does Biagio mourn in chapter four?
7. How does the Count who visits the family feel about Cosimo's choice?
8. What does Battista do to make Cosimo come home and what is the result of her action?
9. Who is Sinforosa?
10. Why does Cosimo begin writing to authors of books he likes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Generalessa has gotten over her initial panic, and she and the Baron decide to take a nonchalant stroll through the garden so they might ignore Cosimo and thereby antagonize him out of the trees.
1. Why do you think Cosimo's parents believe he will come down from the trees because of this behavior? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Do you think Cosimo's parents are irresponsible for leaving him in the tree all night? Why or why not?
3. What would you do if you were Cosimo's parents?
Essay Topic 2
Both Viola and Cosimo are idealists, but with such fundamentally disparate ideals they can never be compatible unless one of them is willing to open themselves to adopting the other's point of view.
1. Who do you think would have an easier time changing, Viola or Cosimo? Why?
2. Do you think it is wise for someone to give up beliefs in order to be with someone? Why or why not?
3. Do you think either Viola or Cosimo is the most right in their last arguments? Why?
Essay Topic 3
In the trees, he and the boys are quite able to exist as equals, on the ground the boys return to sad, filthy places to be scolded and beaten by mothers who refuse to feed them if they have not been able to steal enough to feed themselves. This is the beginning of social awareness in young Cosimo.
1. How do you think Cosimo's beliefs about the world changes when he follows the boys home? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Why do you think a rich boy like Cosimo has never seen or known how poor people live? Do you think this situation exist today? Why or why not?
3. How do you think wealthy people in the United States might change if they lived in the poorer part of town for a year?
This section contains 1,278 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)