|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cosimo's father yell out to him at dinner?
2. Who does the Baron confide in and seek advice from?
3. Why do the men from town ask Cosimo to come down?
4. What do the burglars who tried to use Gian do to Cosimo?
5. What kind of dog does Cosimo befriend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cosimo do when he sees the pirates unloading the boats and what happens as a result of his actions?
2. What do the brigands around town do about Gian de Brughi being in hiding?
3. Why does Cosimo talk with the Abbe so much and what happens as the result?
4. What does Biagio mourn in chapter four?
5. What is Cosimo's thoughts concerning the people living below him?
6. How does the Count who visits the family feel about Cosimo's choice?
7. Why does the Cavlier slip off the Baron's land occasionally and how does Cosimo help him?
8. Why is Cosimo's mother nicknamed the Generalessa?
9. Describe an activity Cosimo has learned well and that his dog helps him with.
10. Why is Cosimo curious about Gian de Brughi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Baron, has lost hope that his eldest son, Cosimo, will follow exactly the path of nobility he hoped he would.
1. Cosimo is obviously not doing what his father wants him to do. Do you think this makes him a bad child? Why or why not?
2. If your mother or father wanted you to enter a career field you didn't want, what would you do? How would you tell your parent?
3. Do you think children should have as much freedom at Cosimo's age as he does? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The Generalessa has gotten over her initial panic, and she and the Baron decide to take a nonchalant stroll through the garden so they might ignore Cosimo and thereby antagonize him out of the trees.
1. Why do you think Cosimo's parents believe he will come down from the trees because of this behavior? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Do you think Cosimo's parents are irresponsible for leaving him in the tree all night? Why or why not?
3. What would you do if you were Cosimo's parents?
Essay Topic 3
While Cosimo never tries, he lives with an unapologetic conviction that life can be lived fully, selflessly, even nobly, in unbroken communion with nature.
1. What do you think this statement means? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think people in America today could live the kind of life Cosimo envisions, though not necessarily living in trees? Why or why not?
3. How do you think life in modern American would be different if most people believed the way Cosimo does?
This section contains 3,083 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)