|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Viola offer Cosimo before she goes in the house?
2. What does Biagio offer Cosimo as an apology?
3. Where is Viola sent when she leaves home?
4. What does Gian de Brughi do while in hiding from the law after Cosimo rescued him?
5. Who does Cosimo's father send after him?
Short Essay Questions
1. With what important meal does the book open with?
2. What do the burglars do to Cosimo?
3. How does the Baron work out Cosimo's willingness to continue his education?
4. How does the Count who visits the family feel about Cosimo's choice?
5. How does Cosimo's mother and father try to get him to come down from the trees and what does Biagio do?
6. What does Cosimo's father request of him when he goes out to see him?
7. What does Cosimo do to impress Viola?
8. How does Cosimo's mother feel by the evening about Cosimo still being in the trees?
9. Who is Sinforosa?
10. Who does Cosimo meet in a neighbor's garden as he explores through the trees?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Generalessa has gotten over her initial panic, and she and the Baron decide to take a nonchalant stroll through the garden so they might ignore Cosimo and thereby antagonize him out of the trees.
1. Why do you think Cosimo's parents believe he will come down from the trees because of this behavior? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Do you think Cosimo's parents are irresponsible for leaving him in the tree all night? Why or why not?
3. What would you do if you were Cosimo's parents?
Essay Topic 2
While Cosimo never tries, he lives with an unapologetic conviction that life can be lived fully, selflessly, even nobly, in unbroken communion with nature.
1. What do you think this statement means? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think people in America today could live the kind of life Cosimo envisions, though not necessarily living in trees? Why or why not?
3. How do you think life in modern American would be different if most people believed the way Cosimo does?
Essay Topic 3
The Baron, has lost hope that his eldest son, Cosimo, will follow exactly the path of nobility he hoped he would.
1. Cosimo is obviously not doing what his father wants him to do. Do you think this makes him a bad child? Why or why not?
2. If your mother or father wanted you to enter a career field you didn't want, what would you do? How would you tell your parent?
3. Do you think children should have as much freedom at Cosimo's age as he does? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)