|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Cosimo's mother and father stroll through the forest?
2. What do the pirates do to the Cavalier?
3. How does Cosimo want his brother to prove he can be trusted?
4. What does Cosimo tell the townspeople?
5. Who does Cosimo's father send after him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cosimo's mother and father try to get him to come down from the trees and what does Biagio do?
2. How does the Baron work out Cosimo's willingness to continue his education?
3. Why is Cosimo's mother nicknamed the Generalessa?
4. How does Cosimo stay warm in the trees in the winter?
5. Describe an activity Cosimo has learned well and that his dog helps him with.
6. What is Cosimo's thoughts concerning the people living below him?
7. Why does Cosimo talk with the Abbe so much and what happens as the result?
8. Why does the Cavlier slip off the Baron's land occasionally and how does Cosimo help him?
9. What do the brigands around town do about Gian de Brughi being in hiding?
10. Who does Cosimo meet in a neighbor's garden as he explores through the trees?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Baron, has lost hope that his eldest son, Cosimo, will follow exactly the path of nobility he hoped he would.
1. Cosimo is obviously not doing what his father wants him to do. Do you think this makes him a bad child? Why or why not?
2. If your mother or father wanted you to enter a career field you didn't want, what would you do? How would you tell your parent?
3. Do you think children should have as much freedom at Cosimo's age as he does? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In the trees, he and the boys are quite able to exist as equals, on the ground the boys return to sad, filthy places to be scolded and beaten by mothers who refuse to feed them if they have not been able to steal enough to feed themselves. This is the beginning of social awareness in young Cosimo.
1. How do you think Cosimo's beliefs about the world changes when he follows the boys home? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Why do you think a rich boy like Cosimo has never seen or known how poor people live? Do you think this situation exist today? Why or why not?
3. How do you think wealthy people in the United States might change if they lived in the poorer part of town for a year?
Essay Topic 3
The lesson Cosimo learns in chapter fourteen is that a problem that unites people is a powerful force for good as long as it exists.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think uniting people for a bad reason can be as powerful as for good? Why or why not?
3. If you had a task to do that would require a group to finish it, how would you go about organizing and inspiring them?
This section contains 1,310 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)