|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Baron do when an important family visits?
2. Who is the narrator of this book?
3. How does Sinforosa get around the village?
4. Who does Viola blame for being shut up in her bedroom?
5. What is Cosimo trying to do about the people who live below him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cosimo tell Biagio about their uncle's activities and what does he want to do about them?
2. How does Cosimo stay warm in the trees in the winter?
3. How does the Baron work out Cosimo's willingness to continue his education?
4. With what important meal does the book open with?
5. What is Cosimo's thoughts concerning the people living below him?
6. How does Cosimo's first encounter with the fruit thieves happen?
7. What happens when Cosimo's father sends the Cavalier to capture him?
8. Who does Cosimo meet in a neighbor's garden as he explores through the trees?
9. What do the brigands around town do about Gian de Brughi being in hiding?
10. Why is Cosimo's mother nicknamed the Generalessa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chapter six resolves the childhood connection Cosimo has had with Viola, and foreshadows the intensity of the admiration he will have for her.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Explain the use of foreshadow in this sentence. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Taking from the first six chapters, why do you think Cosimo admires Viola so much?
Essay Topic 2
In the trees, he and the boys are quite able to exist as equals, on the ground the boys return to sad, filthy places to be scolded and beaten by mothers who refuse to feed them if they have not been able to steal enough to feed themselves. This is the beginning of social awareness in young Cosimo.
1. How do you think Cosimo's beliefs about the world changes when he follows the boys home? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Why do you think a rich boy like Cosimo has never seen or known how poor people live? Do you think this situation exist today? Why or why not?
3. How do you think wealthy people in the United States might change if they lived in the poorer part of town for a year?
Essay Topic 3
Cosimo is more interested in the truth of things than in the beliefs and legends among the populous.
1. Why do you think this statement is true? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think that legends are always false? Why or why not?
3. Do you think it was wrong for Cosimo to rescue Gian just because of his curiosity? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,190 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)