|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bothers Cosimo most about fig trees?
2. What does Cosimo decide to build?
3. How far does Cosimo discover the trees go?
4. What does Cosimo say about resuming his education?
5. Why does the Baron want Cosimo to come down from the trees?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cosimo do when he sees the pirates unloading the boats and what happens as a result of his actions?
2. Why does the Cavlier slip off the Baron's land occasionally and how does Cosimo help him?
3. What does Biagio do in the morning after his brother spent the first night in the trees?
4. Describe an activity Cosimo has learned well and that his dog helps him with.
5. Why does Cosimo begin writing to authors of books he likes?
6. Why is Cosimo's mother nicknamed the Generalessa?
7. What do the brigands around town do about Gian de Brughi being in hiding?
8. Why does Cosimo talk with the Abbe so much and what happens as the result?
9. With what important meal does the book open with?
10. Who is Sinforosa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This is the chapter containing the recounting of the Baron's decline and eventual death. Sadness over the loss of his half brother, the absence of his daughter as she becomes the wife of a man with a terribly unpleasant family, the fact that Biagio's youth keeps him from being a satisfactory companion and loss of his dream of a noble lifestyle for his family all mean that he declines quickly.
1. Do you think emotional stress and loss can cause someone to sicken and die? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Cosimo should feel some responsibility for his father's death? Why or why not?
3. What do you think Cosimo could have done to help his father more? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The Baron, has lost hope that his eldest son, Cosimo, will follow exactly the path of nobility he hoped he would.
1. Cosimo is obviously not doing what his father wants him to do. Do you think this makes him a bad child? Why or why not?
2. If your mother or father wanted you to enter a career field you didn't want, what would you do? How would you tell your parent?
3. Do you think children should have as much freedom at Cosimo's age as he does? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Biagio wants all the more to assure Cosimo of his loyalty despite his remaining on the ground, and so agrees to supply him with everything he requires to set up a more permanent dwelling in the trees.
1. Why do you think Biagio is not joining his brother in the trees? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Do you think Biagio is right or wrong for making it easier for his brother to remain in the trees? Why or why not?
3. What do you think of Cosimo's attempts to pressure his younger brother into helping him?
This section contains 1,388 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)