|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the narrator of this book?
2. How does Cosimo's family receive the news of his popularity?
3. What does Cosimo do when the Abbe Fauchelefleur passes below him?
4. What eventually happens to the tree after it was covered in glue?
5. What kind of talent does Battista have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Cosimo's parents want to know about the men Cosimo enlisted for his project?
2. What does Cosimo do when he sees the pirates unloading the boats and what happens as a result of his actions?
3. Why does the Cavlier slip off the Baron's land occasionally and how does Cosimo help him?
4. How does Cosimo stay warm in the trees in the winter?
5. What does Cosimo tell Biagio about their uncle's activities and what does he want to do about them?
6. Why is Cosimo's mother nicknamed the Generalessa?
7. Describe an activity Cosimo has learned well and that his dog helps him with.
8. What is Cosimo's thoughts concerning the people living below him?
9. What do the brigands around town do about Gian de Brughi being in hiding?
10. Describe the discussion about trees that takes place at the beginning of chapter ten.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the trees, he and the boys are quite able to exist as equals, on the ground the boys return to sad, filthy places to be scolded and beaten by mothers who refuse to feed them if they have not been able to steal enough to feed themselves. This is the beginning of social awareness in young Cosimo.
1. How do you think Cosimo's beliefs about the world changes when he follows the boys home? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Why do you think a rich boy like Cosimo has never seen or known how poor people live? Do you think this situation exist today? Why or why not?
3. How do you think wealthy people in the United States might change if they lived in the poorer part of town for a year?
Essay Topic 2
Biagio wants all the more to assure Cosimo of his loyalty despite his remaining on the ground, and so agrees to supply him with everything he requires to set up a more permanent dwelling in the trees.
1. Why do you think Biagio is not joining his brother in the trees? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Do you think Biagio is right or wrong for making it easier for his brother to remain in the trees? Why or why not?
3. What do you think of Cosimo's attempts to pressure his younger brother into helping him?
Essay Topic 3
The lesson Cosimo learns in chapter fourteen is that a problem that unites people is a powerful force for good as long as it exists.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think uniting people for a bad reason can be as powerful as for good? Why or why not?
3. If you had a task to do that would require a group to finish it, how would you go about organizing and inspiring them?
This section contains 1,381 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)