|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cosimo confess when Ursula's father asks about his intentions?
(a) he will marry her and come with them
(b) he doesn't know how he feels
(c) he is just a friend
(d) he loves her
2. When Cosimo writes a treatise on living in the trees to whom does he send it?
(a) Prince Frederick
(d) the Abbe
3. What do the townspeople call Cosimo?
(a) Homeless Baron
(b) Lord Baron
(c) Landless Baron
(d) Tree Baron
4. Where is Cosimo spending much of winter?
(a) near his brother's home
(b) in the tallest tree around
(c) at Viola's old garden
(d) in his sleeping bag
5. Why has Cosimo decided to help the townspeople with their tithes to the nobles?
(a) to support the cause of justice and fairness
(b) to have fun
(c) to show how much he loves them
(d) to get more money
6. What happens to Cosimo when Viola leaves?
(a) he comes down from the trees
(b) nothing happens
(c) he begins to act like a Baron
(d) he takes leave of his senses
7. What is the girl doing when Cosimo arrives at the garden?
(a) petting his dog in her lap
(b) sitting on a bench
(c) wandering among the fountains
(d) sleeping under a tree
8. What noise does Cosimo have the people do in the distance surrounding the collection area?
(a) conch shells being blown
(b) pots and pans being hit on
(c) sword fighting sounds
(d) rocks banging together
9. Where does the girl on the horse go?
(a) to the apple orchard
(b) to the palace
(c) the Ondarivas' garden
(d) to the constable's
10. Who has written Father Sulpicio about revolutionary ideas?
(a) the church
(b) the Abbe
(c) Cosimo's mother
(d) Cosimo's younger brother
11. What does Viola want Cosimo to allow?
(a) not getting married
(b) having children
(c) her frequent trips away
(d) her multiple lovers
12. What has Cosimo told the Spaniards is his reason for staying in the trees?
(a) he would be arrested if he came down
(b) he likes living above the ground
(c) he has no home
(d) it's his chosen form of protest
13. Why is a girl on a horse riding hard across the field for the trees?
(a) she exercising her horse
(b) she ran into a hornet's nest
(c) two men are chasing her
(d) she has lost control of her horse
14. What does Biagio think of Cosimo and the girl?
(a) they need to know each other better
(b) they are a bad idea
(c) they are perfect together
(d) he doesn't know about her
15. How do the Spaniards appear to Cosimo?
(a) rough and uneducated
(c) dirty and poor
(d) finely dressed, somber, and civilized
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Viola do when she thinks she's not important enough to Cosimo?
2. Why do the townspeople raise a bed in the trees for Cosimo?
3. Why is Biagio called home?
4. Why are the Spaniards in the trees?
5. Why does Cosimo keep the pirate's treasure a secret?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)