|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the Spaniards in the trees?
(a) they are exiles
(b) they have no homes
(c) they are waiting for their homes to be built
(d) they heard of Cosimo and want to try his life
2. How do the Spaniards appear to Cosimo?
(a) dirty and poor
(c) rough and uneducated
(d) finely dressed, somber, and civilized
3. What color are Ursula's eyes?
(d) the color of periwinkles
4. What does Cosimo do when he can't get a woman for the night?
(a) he hunts night animals
(b) he sings loudly
(c) he talks with his brother
(d) he wails and yawns
5. What happens as the result of their argument?
(a) they get married
(b) nothing, they go on as usual
(c) Viola leaves and they never see each other again
(d) Cosimo moves into her house
6. Why are the young men fleeing into the woods?
(a) to avoid conscription
(b) to find food for their families
(c) to avoid taxes
(d) to fight against the army
7. What do the townspeople begin to do to help Cosimo?
(a) write him poetry
(b) look for another woman for him
(c) bring him good food
(d) listen to him rant
8. How does Cosimo feel when Viola is acting capricious or trying to provoke jealousy?
(c) confused and frustrated
9. What do the Austrians say about the woods?
(a) they are evil
(b) they are beautiful
(c) the woods are full of Jacobins
(d) they are good cover for troops
10. In what languages do Cosimo and Prince Andrej converse?
(a) Italian and French
(b) Russian and French
(c) English and Italian
(d) Russian and Italian
11. For what reason does Cosimo protect the townspeople?
(a) to fight the French
(c) to maintain his image
(d) for a fee
12. What man returns to the town in a dream Cosimo has?
(a) Battista's husband
(b) his father
(c) the Abbe
13. What does Cosimo do that his mother enjoys?
(a) takes up soldiering
(b) marries a strong woman
(c) fetch her comforts
(d) brings his sister home
14. Why does Viola leave?
(a) she has estates she needs to care for
(b) she has a husband in Paris
(c) she can't get Cosimo to understand her
(d) she gets bored
15. What do Cosimo and Ursula end up doing?
(a) falling from the trees
(b) getting married
Short Answer Questions
1. Cosimo says love is best served when what is allowed?
2. How does it seem the girls who spend the night with Cosimo feel?
3. Where does the girl on the horse go?
4. For what does Cosimo become most famous?
5. When does Cosimo arrive in Olivabassa?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)