|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the girl doing while she and Cosimo are talking?
(a) petting the dog
(b) ordering the servants around
(c) grooming her horse
(d) wading in a pond
2. Why does Cosimo finally have to pay attention to life again?
(a) a pack of woves enter town
(b) the trees need pruning
(c) his dog comes back
(d) his brother is ill
3. Who collects the tithes from the people?
(a) the bailiff
(b) the noble
(c) the actuary
(d) the sheriff
4. With what do the Cossacks come back?
(a) a stray dog
(b) Cosimo's brother
(c) dead French soldiers
(d) a dead deer for meat
5. Who comes back to Ombrosa with the troops?
(c) Father Sulpico
6. What does Cosimo contribute to the secret ceremonies?
(a) one to honor the rain
(c) one honoring trees
(d) one to enrich farmers
7. What do the Austrians say about the woods?
(a) they are beautiful
(b) the woods are full of Jacobins
(c) they are good cover for troops
(d) they are evil
8. Why has Cosimo become known as such a great lover?
(a) people hearing him in the trees
(c) he spread the story himself
(d) women talking
9. What does Biagio wish about his and his brother's ideas they had when they were young?
(a) that Viola would have had them
(b) that Biagio would have lived in the trees
(c) that they would have been brought forward
(d) that they hadn't caused so much trouble
10. Why does Viola leave?
(a) she has estates she needs to care for
(b) she has a husband in Paris
(c) she can't get Cosimo to understand her
(d) she gets bored
11. Who has written Father Sulpicio about revolutionary ideas?
(a) Cosimo's mother
(b) Cosimo's younger brother
(c) the church
(d) the Abbe
12. What does Viola want Cosimo to allow?
(a) having children
(b) her frequent trips away
(c) her multiple lovers
(d) not getting married
13. What do the nobles do in response to the collecting problem?
(a) hang one of every 20 people
(b) shoot Cosimo
(c) lock themselves in their houses
(d) burn the village down
14. For what reason has Cosimo found that Ottimo Massimo does not come back often?
(a) he has found a female dog
(b) he is being fed better at another house
(c) he has died
(d) he stays with a widow
15. How has Viola being in the trees changed the atmosphere in the trees?
(a) Cosimo has made it more gracious
(b) Cosimo spends less with the trees
(c) it hasn't changed
(d) Viola has torn down the tent
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Cosimo arrive in Olivabassa?
2. What does Cosimo do that his mother enjoys?
3. Why does he help the French lay out roads?
4. Why are the Spaniards in the trees?
5. Where is Cosimo spending much of winter?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)