|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does he tell the vintners about the tithes that year?
(a) they can pay late
(b) they will double
(c) the nobles will collect nothing
(d) they can spread the payment out
2. Why are the young men fleeing into the woods?
(a) to avoid conscription
(b) to fight against the army
(c) to find food for their families
(d) to avoid taxes
3. In what languages do Cosimo and Prince Andrej converse?
(a) Italian and French
(b) Russian and French
(c) Russian and Italian
(d) English and Italian
4. Where does Biagio go for a year?
(a) to a resort
(b) to the King's court
(c) to his sister's
5. What is the girl doing while she and Cosimo are talking?
(a) petting the dog
(b) wading in a pond
(c) grooming her horse
(d) ordering the servants around
6. What does Biagio do after the Generalessa dies?
(a) goes to live in the trees
(b) gets married
(c) joins a monastery
(d) moves to Paris
7. How do the townspeople feel about Cosimo and Viola's relationship?
(a) it's too public
(b) it will never last
(c) it's an ideal match
(d) it's weird
8. Where does Cosimo send three French soldiers who have come through the woods?
(a) through the east part of the woods
(b) to his brother's house
(c) to Viola's old house
(d) to bathe
9. Where does the girl on the horse go?
(a) to the palace
(b) the Ondarivas' garden
(c) to the constable's
(d) to the apple orchard
10. What does Cosimo challenge the Father to do?
(a) tell him more of the church
(b) have a fist fight
(c) settle their dispute
(d) a sword duel
11. Why does Viola leave?
(a) she gets bored
(b) she has a husband in Paris
(c) she has estates she needs to care for
(d) she can't get Cosimo to understand her
12. What army came in and almost arrested Battista and her husband?
(a) the Republican army
(b) the Austrian army
(c) the Italian army
(d) the English army
13. Why does he help the French lay out roads?
(a) to protect the trees
(b) to save the farms
(c) for something to do
(d) for a wage
14. What is the girl doing when Cosimo arrives at the garden?
(a) wandering among the fountains
(b) sleeping under a tree
(c) petting his dog in her lap
(d) sitting on a bench
15. What do Cosimo and Prince Andrej find they have in common?
(a) a great, great uncle on his father's side
(b) ideals by which they live
(c) not having a girlfriend
(d) liking to live in trees
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Father Don Sulpico reappeared in the area?
2. How does the Austrian soldiers appear to Cosimo?
3. What does Cosimo do that his mother enjoys?
4. What is one of the first things Viola and Cosimo talk about?
5. What does Biagio think of Cosimo and the girl?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)