|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Cosimo deal with the threat of the soldiers?
(a) with anger
(b) he ignores them
(c) with fun and ingenuity
(d) he kills them one by one
2. What do the townspeople call Cosimo?
(a) Tree Baron
(b) Homeless Baron
(c) Landless Baron
(d) Lord Baron
3. What do the Austrians say about the woods?
(a) they are good cover for troops
(b) they are beautiful
(c) they are evil
(d) the woods are full of Jacobins
4. Biagio says Cosimo and Viola's relationship works best when?
(a) when he is telling stories
(b) when she is tired
(c) when the dog is around
(d) when it is mutually adventuresome
5. What gives Cosimo hope that he can find a lover?
(a) several women have expressed interest
(b) Viola has returned
(c) his mother is arranging his marriage
(d) a community of Spaniards living in the trees
6. What is the girl doing when Cosimo arrives at the garden?
(a) wandering among the fountains
(b) sleeping under a tree
(c) sitting on a bench
(d) petting his dog in her lap
7. How does the Austrian soldiers appear to Cosimo?
(a) organized and efficient
(b) kill happy
(d) well disciplined but with no woods knowledge
8. What does Cosimo see hope for in his dream?
(a) war would end
(b) his constitution would be used
(c) the trees would stay forever
(d) the common people would be fed
9. Where is Cosimo spending much of winter?
(a) near his brother's home
(b) in his sleeping bag
(c) in the tallest tree around
(d) at Viola's old garden
10. What role does Cosimo slip into with the Spaniards?
(a) a favorite son
(b) a teacher
(c) a bringer of revolution
(d) a protector
11. Where does Ottimo Massimo go one day after sniffing the breeze?
(a) to the ocean
(b) to an apple orchard
(c) across a meadow
(d) down the river
12. What happened to the coats and hats of the French regiment?
(a) they are torn up by the trees
(b) they are covered in blood
(c) they begin to sprout moss and lichens
(d) nothing happened to them
13. What does he tell the vintners about the tithes that year?
(a) the nobles will collect nothing
(b) they can spread the payment out
(c) they can pay late
(d) they will double
14. Why has Cosimo decided to help the townspeople with their tithes to the nobles?
(a) to have fun
(b) to support the cause of justice and fairness
(c) to show how much he loves them
(d) to get more money
15. How do the Spaniards appear to Cosimo?
(b) dirty and poor
(c) rough and uneducated
(d) finely dressed, somber, and civilized
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Biagio's story about the Cavalier's death differ from what happened?
2. What army came in and almost arrested Battista and her husband?
3. What do the townspeople begin to do to help Cosimo?
4. How does Cosimo spend his time?
5. What do the Spainish men sit upon in the trees?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)