|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does he tell the vintners about the tithes that year?
(a) they can spread the payment out
(b) they will double
(c) the nobles will collect nothing
(d) they can pay late
2. What does Cosimo do when he can't get a woman for the night?
(a) he talks with his brother
(b) he wails and yawns
(c) he hunts night animals
(d) he sings loudly
3. Who collects the tithes from the people?
(a) the sheriff
(b) the bailiff
(c) the noble
(d) the actuary
4. How does Biagio's story about the Cavalier's death differ from what happened?
(a) he doesn't say anything about the death
(b) it is completely false
(c) it is much simpler
(d) it is more complicated
5. What does Biagio think of Cosimo and the girl?
(a) they need to know each other better
(b) he doesn't know about her
(c) they are a bad idea
(d) they are perfect together
6. Why are the young men fleeing into the woods?
(a) to avoid conscription
(b) to find food for their families
(c) to avoid taxes
(d) to fight against the army
7. What is the girl doing while she and Cosimo are talking?
(a) wading in a pond
(b) grooming her horse
(c) ordering the servants around
(d) petting the dog
8. What does Biagio do after the Generalessa dies?
(a) goes to live in the trees
(b) joins a monastery
(c) gets married
(d) moves to Paris
9. What does Biagio seem to indicate is the main reason for the Baron's death?
(a) the plague
(b) his wife had died
(c) disappointment over life
(d) an old war injury
10. What is Cosimo doing for long periods of time as an old man?
(a) sitting still and silent
(b) writing a book
(c) telling stories
(d) talking to his brother
11. What does Cosimo do to the Austrian soldiers?
(a) lures them into traps
(b) gives them fleas
(c) throws their clothes in the river
(d) pours water in their sleeping bags
12. What do the Spainish men sit upon in the trees?
(a) round stools
(d) tree limbs
13. Why did Biagio climb into the trees when his brother was 65 years old?
(a) to ask him to come down
(b) to bring him food
(c) to bring him a picture of Viola
(d) to bring Viola there
14. When does Cosimo arrive in Olivabassa?
15. How does the Austrian soldiers appear to Cosimo?
(a) kill happy
(b) organized and efficient
(c) well disciplined but with no woods knowledge
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cosimo do with the French soldiers?
2. What is Cosimo's next project after Viola leaves?
3. What does Cosimo challenge the Father to do?
4. What man returns to the town in a dream Cosimo has?
5. Why are the Spaniards in the trees?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)