|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Biagio's story about the Cavalier's death differ from what happened?
(a) it is completely false
(b) it is much simpler
(c) it is more complicated
(d) he doesn't say anything about the death
2. What happens when a jealous suitor goes after Cosimo?
(a) his arm is broken
(b) his nose is broken
(c) he breaks his ankle
(d) he gets grapeshot in his leg
3. With what do the Cossacks come back?
(a) a dead deer for meat
(b) dead French soldiers
(c) Cosimo's brother
(d) a stray dog
4. What does Biagio wish about his and his brother's ideas they had when they were young?
(a) that Biagio would have lived in the trees
(b) that Viola would have had them
(c) that they hadn't caused so much trouble
(d) that they would have been brought forward
5. What does Viola say Cosimo's idea of love is?
(a) old fashion
(b) too loose
(c) very narrow
(d) mixed up
6. What role does Cosimo slip into with the Spaniards?
(a) a protector
(b) a bringer of revolution
(c) a teacher
(d) a favorite son
7. What does Cosimo see hope for in his dream?
(a) war would end
(b) his constitution would be used
(c) the common people would be fed
(d) the trees would stay forever
8. What gives Cosimo hope that he can find a lover?
(a) a community of Spaniards living in the trees
(b) Viola has returned
(c) several women have expressed interest
(d) his mother is arranging his marriage
9. Why has Father Don Sulpico reappeared in the area?
(a) bringing a message to Cosimo
(b) to start a new church
(c) to start a new order of monks
(d) still wants to stop free-thinking
10. When Cosimo writes a treatise on living in the trees to whom does he send it?
(a) Prince Frederick
(b) the Abbe
11. What does Cosimo challenge the Father to do?
(a) tell him more of the church
(b) have a fist fight
(c) settle their dispute
(d) a sword duel
12. Where does Cosimo send three French soldiers who have come through the woods?
(a) to bathe
(b) through the east part of the woods
(c) to Viola's old house
(d) to his brother's house
13. What does he tell the vintners about the tithes that year?
(a) they can spread the payment out
(b) the nobles will collect nothing
(c) they can pay late
(d) they will double
14. What does Cosimo confess when Ursula's father asks about his intentions?
(a) he loves her
(b) he will marry her and come with them
(c) he doesn't know how he feels
(d) he is just a friend
15. What does Cosimo do that his mother enjoys?
(a) takes up soldiering
(b) brings his sister home
(c) marries a strong woman
(d) fetch her comforts
Short Answer Questions
1. Biagio says Cosimo and Viola's relationship works best when?
2. What has Cosimo told the Spaniards is his reason for staying in the trees?
3. What do the townspeople begin to do to help Cosimo?
4. Cosimo says love is best served when what is allowed?
5. What type of government is established by the new army?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)