|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Cosimo's father send after him?
(a) the teacher
(b) his brother
(c) his sister
(d) the Cavalier
2. How does Cosimo's mother communicate with him?
(a) sending village boys with notes
(b) through a bull horn
(c) flag signals
(d) screaming up at the tree
3. What kind of plants does Cosimo find in a neighbor's garden?
(a) nut trees
(b) tropical plants
(c) tomato plants
(d) from all over the world
4. What do the pirates do to the Cavalier?
(a) kill him
(b) give him money
(c) beat him up
(d) carry him away
5. What group of individuals hears about the Abbe's conversations with Cosimo?
(a) Cosimo's extended family
(b) the burglers
(c) the Ecclesiastical Tribunal
(d) the King's Court
6. What happens when the townspeople and the pirates meet?
(a) fighting breaks out
(b) they exchange goods
(c) the townspeople split the treasure
(d) they never meet
7. Who does Viola blame for being shut up in her bedroom?
(b) her mother
(c) the Cavalier
(d) the band of boys
8. Who is the narrator of this book?
(a) Cosimo's father
(b) Cosimo's mother
(c) Battista, Cosimo's sister
(d) Biagio, Cosimo's brother
9. Why does the Abbe listen so carefully to Cosimo?
(a) he is his teacher
(b) he tries to correct Cosimo's language
(c) he is full of startling ideas
(d) he is bored with his life
10. What does Cosimo decide to build?
(a) a zip line system in the trees
(b) barrels of water high in the trees
(c) walkways between trees
(d) a new tree house
11. Why is the meal at the beginning of the book significant?
(a) it is of snails
(b) Cosimo's brother betrayed him by eating it
(c) it will be Cosimo's last on the ground
(d) Cosimo's sister cooked it
12. How does Cosimo's family receive the news of his popularity?
(c) with indifference
(d) with anger
13. Why does the Cavalier sneak off the Baron's land sometimes?
(a) to meet a woman
(b) to go to the tavern
(c) to meet with a member of court
(d) to tend to his bees
14. Why is Cosimo attempting to catch his uncle with the pirates?
(a) he thinks it's exciting
(b) he wants a share of the cut
(c) he thinks he's a traitor
(d) he wants to tell his father
15. What eventually happens to the tree after it was covered in glue?
(a) it became a national monument
(b) it becomes very heavy
(c) it turns purple
(d) it dies
Short Answer Questions
1. How long were the brothers locked in their rooms for trying to rescue snails?
2. What do the boys do when Cosimo and Viola ignore them?
3. What does Cosimo suggest the Cavalier might do?
4. What does the Cavalier notice when watching Cosimo in the trees?
5. What does the Count say he's going to do with Cosimo's story?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)