|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far does Cosimo discover the trees go?
(a) at least four neighbors down
(b) beyond even Ombrossa
(c) close to the town
(d) mostly around his house and Viola's
2. Who is the narrator of this book?
(a) Battista, Cosimo's sister
(b) Cosimo's father
(c) Biagio, Cosimo's brother
(d) Cosimo's mother
3. Why can Cosimo move from tree to tree?
(a) there are zip lines between the trees
(b) Cosimo can jump long distances
(c) there are rope bridges
(d) they are mature and grow close together
4. What does Cosimo's father yell out to him at dinner?
(a) if he doesn't come down he will starve
(b) Biagio will be confined to the house
(c) he is forgiven
(d) he will be sent to prison
5. What does Cosimo's mother decide about him staying in the trees?
(a) she climbs in the trees herself
(b) she makes him a pillow
(c) becomes quite proud of her son
(d) she disowns him
6. What has changed about the land the Baron wants Cosimo to rule some day?
(a) the type of crops raised
(b) the people who live on it
(c) the organization of it
(d) the type of families that live on it
7. Who follows Viola when she goes riding on her horse?
(a) her aunts
(b) her older sister
(c) her brother
(d) no one
8. Where does Cosimo hide most of his letters?
(a) inside his sleeping bag
(b) in the hollow of a tree
(c) in an old bird's nest
(d) in his tent
9. Why is Cosimo's father so upset about him being gone?
(a) he's going to be arrested for child abuse
(b) his wife is upset with him for yelling at Cosimo
(c) he thinks he's too young
(d) he wanted him to be the next Baron
10. What does Cosimo tell the townspeople?
(a) the boys are afraid of him
(b) he knows the way home
(c) there is no reward
(d) he is not stealing
11. Why does the Abbe listen so carefully to Cosimo?
(a) he tries to correct Cosimo's language
(b) he is bored with his life
(c) he is his teacher
(d) he is full of startling ideas
12. Who does Viola blame for being shut up in her bedroom?
(a) her mother
(c) the Cavalier
(d) the band of boys
13. What does Sinforosa do for the band of little boys?
(a) gives them biscuits and wine
(b) tells them where the ripe fruit is
(c) tells them where to sleep at night
(d) gives them cast off clothing
14. Who sneaks out and covers Cosimo's tree with glue?
(a) the Cavalier
15. What does Cosimo see pirates doing one night?
(a) kidnapping women
(b) getting drunk
(c) unloading cargo into a cave
(d) stealing goats
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the boys do when Cosimo and Viola ignore them?
2. What do the townspeople do when Cosimo tells them of the cave?
3. What does Cosimo tell Viola the next time he sees her?
4. How does Cosimo's family receive the news of his popularity?
5. What bothers Cosimo most about fig trees?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)