|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the meal at the beginning of the book significant?
(a) it is of snails
(b) Cosimo's sister cooked it
(c) it will be Cosimo's last on the ground
(d) Cosimo's brother betrayed him by eating it
2. What do the townspeople do when Cosimo tells them of the cave?
(a) go to take the treasure
(b) go to arrest the Cavalier
(c) call the army
(d) tell him not to wake them up
3. What does Cosimo conclude after studying Gian de Brughi's life and the stories about him?
(a) he doesn't exist
(b) other thieves just use his name
(c) he would have to use the trees to get away
(d) he would have to be very old
4. What does Cosimo do when the Abbe Fauchelefleur passes below him?
(a) talk to him
(b) ignore him
(c) spit on him
(d) tosses bits of nature down on him
5. Who is the narrator of this book?
(a) Biagio, Cosimo's brother
(b) Cosimo's mother
(c) Cosimo's father
(d) Battista, Cosimo's sister
6. What does Cosimo see pirates doing one night?
(a) unloading cargo into a cave
(b) getting drunk
(c) kidnapping women
(d) stealing goats
7. What eventually happens to the tree after it was covered in glue?
(a) it becomes very heavy
(b) it became a national monument
(c) it turns purple
(d) it dies
8. How does Cosimo get a winter coat?
(a) he stole it
(b) he made it from animals he'd killed
(c) Viola gave him one
(d) his mother sent one to him
9. What does Cosimo say about resuming his education?
(a) he will come home in the fall
(b) he will teach himself
(c) he's willing to do it
(d) he won't do it
10. What is Cosimo trying to do about the people who live below him?
(a) give them a better life
(b) make friends and learn from them
(c) steal from them to live
(d) educate them
11. What does Cosimo tell Viola the next time he sees her?
(a) his mother wants him to come home
(b) he has joined the band of boys
(c) he will never leave the trees
(d) he loves her
12. How does Cosimo's family receive the news of his popularity?
(a) with anger
(d) with indifference
13. What does Cosimo's mother decide about him staying in the trees?
(a) she makes him a pillow
(b) she climbs in the trees herself
(c) becomes quite proud of her son
(d) she disowns him
14. Why is Cosimo's father so upset about him being gone?
(a) he wanted him to be the next Baron
(b) he's going to be arrested for child abuse
(c) his wife is upset with him for yelling at Cosimo
(d) he thinks he's too young
15. What did Cosimo do on Sundays with his family?
(a) attend church
(b) have a picnic in the trees
(c) eat Sunday dinner with them
(d) play ball
Short Answer Questions
1. What group of individuals hears about the Abbe's conversations with Cosimo?
2. How does Cosimo's mother communicate with him?
3. What does the Cavalier do for the Baron?
4. What kind of talent does Battista have?
5. What does Cosimo kill that has come up the tree where he is?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)