|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the boys do when Cosimo and Viola ignore them?
(a) throw gravel at them
(b) spray them with water
(c) scream at them
(d) throw fruit at them
2. What does Cosimo suggest the Cavalier might do?
(a) get married
(b) bring Cosimo some food
(c) go to court
(d) design an irigation system
3. Where is Viola sent when she leaves home?
(a) to the store
(b) to a reform school
(c) to a boarding school
(d) to her aunts' house
4. Why is Cosimo curious about the thieve, Gian de Brughi?
(a) he's been blamed for many robberies
(b) he wants to capture him for the fame
(c) he wants to learn how to steal
(d) he wants to know what it's like to be famous
5. What does Cosimo conclude after studying Gian de Brughi's life and the stories about him?
(a) he would have to use the trees to get away
(b) he would have to be very old
(c) he doesn't exist
(d) other thieves just use his name
6. Why do the boys' mothers get upset with them?
(a) they don't go to church
(b) they are stealing fruit
(c) they aren't in school
(d) they didn't steal enough fruit
7. Why is Cosimo attempting to catch his uncle with the pirates?
(a) he wants a share of the cut
(b) he thinks it's exciting
(c) he thinks he's a traitor
(d) he wants to tell his father
8. What happens when the townspeople and the pirates meet?
(a) they exchange goods
(b) fighting breaks out
(c) they never meet
(d) the townspeople split the treasure
9. What does Cosimo tell Viola the next time he sees her?
(a) he will never leave the trees
(b) he has joined the band of boys
(c) he loves her
(d) his mother wants him to come home
10. What has changed about the land the Baron wants Cosimo to rule some day?
(a) the organization of it
(b) the type of crops raised
(c) the people who live on it
(d) the type of families that live on it
11. Why do Cosimo's mother and father stroll through the forest?
(a) to go to the village
(b) for exercise
(c) to find more snails for dinner
(d) to entice him out of the trees
12. What does Cosimo see pirates doing one night?
(a) getting drunk
(b) unloading cargo into a cave
(c) stealing goats
(d) kidnapping women
13. What did Cosimo do on Sundays with his family?
(a) play ball
(b) attend church
(c) have a picnic in the trees
(d) eat Sunday dinner with them
14. Who does Cosimo's father send after him?
(a) his sister
(b) the teacher
(c) the Cavalier
(d) his brother
15. Why is the meal at the beginning of the book significant?
(a) it will be Cosimo's last on the ground
(b) Cosimo's sister cooked it
(c) Cosimo's brother betrayed him by eating it
(d) it is of snails
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Biagio offer Cosimo as an apology?
2. Where does Cosimo hide most of his letters?
3. How do the boys who steal fruit react to Cosimo at first?
4. What does Biagio bring Cosimo during the rainstorm?
5. Where does Cosimo carve his dog's name?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)