|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Kayla send a message to Amber?
2. What is the reason for Kayla's actions when comes upon a stream?
3. Where does Eutonah's group live?
4. What does Katie, the truck driver, give Kayla?
5. What does Kayla suddenly realize?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kayla find as she follows a stream in the woods?
2. What does Kayla plan to do with the e-card she finds, and how does she feel about her plan?
3. Where do Kayla and Mfumbe arrive after three weeks? What visions does Kayla have there?
4. What does Katie tell Kayla concerning the bar code?
5. How does Kayla connect with Mfumbe again?
6. After Kayla says goodbye to Katie, she goes to a diner. What does Kayla see on the diner's television?
7. Who finds Kayla? What does this person tell Kayla?
8. How does Kayla find a way to leave the hospital?
9. How do Kayla and Mfumbe get a ride heading north? Why do they eventually have to give up the ride?
10. How does Kayla explain her need to use the e-card to the waitress in the diner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of novels. Analyze how secondary characters in The Bar Code Tattoo help drive the plot. Describe their specific contributions to the storyline.
Essay Topic 2
The Bar Code Tattoo belongs to the science fiction genre. Define the literary term "genre." What are advantages and disadvantages to labeling a text by genre? What are similarities between different genres?
Essay Topic 3
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as mirror for the readers? Why or why not?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)