|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to August, who is Eutonah?
2. What was August told to do by his employers?
3. Where are Tova and Mava headed?
4. What does Kayla do when she hears a door open?
5. Where does Kayla send a message to Amber?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kayla find as she follows a stream in the woods?
2. What does Katie tell Kayla concerning the bar code?
3. What vision does Kayla have the morning after their first night of traveling northward?
4. What vision does Kayla have one morning?
5. Why does Kayla lie down in the woods and sleep after leaving the hospital?
6. Where do Kayla and Mfumbe arrive after three weeks? What visions does Kayla have there?
7. What did Mava's and Tova's daughter warn them about? Why did the daughter treat her mother at home instead of in the hospital?
8. How does Kayla find a way to leave the hospital?
9. What does Kayla dream while sleeping in the woods?
10. What does Mava urge Kayla to do after the car accident? Why is Kayla conflicted about this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Bar Code Tattoo is one book in a series of novels involving Kayla Reed and many of the same characters in this story. What are some advantages and disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Do you prefer to read a standalone book or a book series? Why? Justify your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of oppression as it is presented in The Bar Code Tattoo. Who is the oppressor? Who is the oppressed? How is the oppression carried out? How is the oppression fought? What might the way oppression is portrayed say about the author's view on oppression?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze one major theme of The Bar Code Tattoo. How is the theme expressed through symbolism? Characters' behaviors? Action?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)