|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which direction is the truck traveling?
2. What does Mava say when Kayla says she can't leave her?
3. Who are Tova and Mava?
4. How does Katie know Kayla is over seventeen years of age?
5. What does Kayla suddenly realize?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Mfumbe staying? What is discussed by Mfumbe and Kayla at breakfast?
2. Why does Kayla lie down in the woods and sleep after leaving the hospital?
3. Where are Mava and Tova moving? How does the move affect Kayla's plans?
4. What does Nedra say about Mfume in a letter to the editor?
5. Where do Kayla and Mfumbe arrive after three weeks? What visions does Kayla have there?
6. Who finds Kayla? What does this person tell Kayla?
7. Why is Kayla sorry she used the computer where she is staying?
8. How does Kayla explain her need to use the e-card to the waitress in the diner?
9. What does Kayla write to Amber?
10. How do Kayla and Mfumbe get a ride heading north? Why do they eventually have to give up the ride?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Bar Code Tattoo belongs to the science fiction genre. Define the literary term "genre." What are advantages and disadvantages to labeling a text by genre? What are similarities between different genres?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of oppression as it is presented in The Bar Code Tattoo. Who is the oppressor? Who is the oppressed? How is the oppression carried out? How is the oppression fought? What might the way oppression is portrayed say about the author's view on oppression?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze one major theme of The Bar Code Tattoo. How is the theme expressed through symbolism? Characters' behaviors? Action?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)