|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kayla escape the attention of a police officer in the diner's parking lot?
2. What does Mfumbe try to steal that gets him caught?
3. What wakes Kayla in the middle of the night?
4. About what do Mfumbe's parents say they are happy?
5. Why does Kayla awaken suddenly from sleeping in the car?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kayla connect with Mfumbe again?
2. What does Mava urge Kayla to do after the car accident? Why is Kayla conflicted about this?
3. What vision does Kayla have one morning?
4. How does Kayla explain her need to use the e-card to the waitress in the diner?
5. Why does Mfumbe decide to steal some medicine?
6. Where is Mfumbe staying? What is discussed by Mfumbe and Kayla at breakfast?
7. What does Zekeal say Kayla should do?
8. What does Nedra say about Mfume in a letter to the editor?
9. Who finds Kayla? What does this person tell Kayla?
10. What vision does Kayla have the morning after their first night of traveling northward?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Weyn's use of literary devices (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina,) and how they add or detract from the story. Does Weyn use too many or too few literary techniques? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
What does the term "author's agenda" mean? In your opinion, what issues/concerns are part of the author's agenda for The Bar Code Tattoo?
Essay Topic 3
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as mirror for the readers? Why or why not?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)