|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was August told to do by his employers?
2. According to August, who is Eutonah?
3. What does a doctor tell Mava and Tova about elderly people?
4. In which direction is the truck traveling?
5. What does Kayla realize may be futile?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kayla plan to do with the e-card she finds, and how does she feel about her plan?
2. Why does Mfumbe decide to leave home? Why is his departure a choice rather than a necessity?
3. What vision does Kayla have the morning after their first night of traveling northward?
4. Where are Mava and Tova moving? How does the move affect Kayla's plans?
5. What does Kayla write to Amber?
6. Who finds Kayla? What does this person tell Kayla?
7. How do Kayla and Mfumbe escape the Global-1 officers?
8. Why is Kayla sorry she used the computer where she is staying?
9. How does Kayla explain her need to use the e-card to the waitress in the diner?
10. Where do Kayla and Mfumbe arrive after three weeks? What visions does Kayla have there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze one major theme of The Bar Code Tattoo. How is the theme expressed through symbolism? Characters' behaviors? Action?
Essay Topic 2
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as mirror for the readers? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of oppression as it is presented in The Bar Code Tattoo. Who is the oppressor? Who is the oppressed? How is the oppression carried out? How is the oppression fought? What might the way oppression is portrayed say about the author's view on oppression?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)