|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mfumbe tell Kayla?
2. What does Mfumbe do the next morning after he and Kayla awaken?
3. Why is Kayla hesitant about taking Mava's suggestion?
4. How old is Kayla in a dream she has after leaving the hospital?
5. Who are Tova and Mava?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mfumbe's father rationalize getting the tattoo?
2. Why does Kayla lie down in the woods and sleep after leaving the hospital?
3. Why is August on the run?
4. What does Kayla dream while sleeping in the woods?
5. What vision does Kayla have the morning after their first night of traveling northward?
6. What does Mava urge Kayla to do after the car accident? Why is Kayla conflicted about this?
7. What does Kayla write to Amber?
8. What does Kayla plan to do with the e-card she finds, and how does she feel about her plan?
9. After Kayla says goodbye to Katie, she goes to a diner. What does Kayla see on the diner's television?
10. How do Kayla and Mfumbe escape the Global-1 officers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Weyn's use of literary devices (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina,) and how they add or detract from the story. Does Weyn use too many or too few literary techniques? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an integral and important part of novels. Analyze how secondary characters in The Bar Code Tattoo help drive the plot. Describe their specific contributions to the storyline.
Essay Topic 3
The Bar Code Tattoo belongs to the science fiction genre. Define the literary term "genre." What are advantages and disadvantages to labeling a text by genre? What are similarities between different genres?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)