Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kayla find in the pocket of what she's wearing?
2. In which direction is the truck traveling?
3. What do Mfumbe's parents write to Kayla?
4. What happens when Kayla starts to run away from the wreck?
5. How is Tova planning to get through another toll booth?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how setting informs the plot in The Bar Code Tattoo.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Bar Code Tattoo. How is the theme expressed through symbolism? Characters' behaviors? Action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Bar Code Tattoo. How are the themes expressed through symbolism? Characters' behaviors? Action?
Essay Topic 2
Kayla Reed is in some ways a larger-than-life heroine. Despite incredible odds, she usually comes out on top in The Bar Code Tattoo and in the other books in the series. Discuss the following:
1. Does having a larger-than-life hero make that person less of a hero? In other words, which is more admirable--a hero who ultimately always "lands on her feet" or one who strives against impossible odds and doesn't succeed?
2. Does a character have to be successful in order to be a hero? Explain your answer.
3. Choose one other character besides Kayla whom you might call a hero or heroine and explain why you choose that person.
4. Does every work of fiction have to have a hero? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? List and define the most important elements of plot. Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of The Bar Code Tattoo, identifying where in the novel the various elements of the plot (that you identified in the question above) occur. Do you find it difficult to identify the plot elements? Why or why not?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in The Bar Code Tattoo. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)