|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the other patient in Kayla's hospital room fall to the floor?
2. What is in the truck where Mfumbe and Kayla hide?
3. What does Nedra say Kayla did?
4. What does Kayla realize may be futile?
5. What is Mfumbe doing while Kayla searches for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kayla plan to do with the e-card she finds, and how does she feel about her plan?
2. Why does Mfumbe decide to leave home? Why is his departure a choice rather than a necessity?
3. What does Nedra say about Mfume in a letter to the editor?
4. What vision does Kayla have one morning?
5. What does Kayla write to Amber?
6. What does Zekeal say Kayla should do?
7. After Kayla says goodbye to Katie, she goes to a diner. What does Kayla see on the diner's television?
8. How does Kayla explain her need to use the e-card to the waitress in the diner?
9. What does Katie tell Kayla concerning the bar code?
10. What did Mava's and Tova's daughter warn them about? Why did the daughter treat her mother at home instead of in the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sometimes a book's plot is more character-driven than action-driven. Other times a book's plot is mostly action-driven. Some books seem to balance the two. Explain the difference between a character-driven and an action-driven book. Is The Bar Code Tattoo character-driven or action-driven? Use textual evidence to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The Bar Code Tattoo is one book in a series of novels involving Kayla Reed and many of the same characters in this story. What are some advantages and disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Do you prefer to read a standalone book or a book series? Why? Justify your answers.
Essay Topic 3
What is a plot? List and define the most important elements of plot. Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not? Write a brief synopsis of the plot of The Bar Code Tattoo, identifying where in the novel the elements of the plot occur. Do you find it difficult to identify the plot elements? Why or why not?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)