|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kayla find in the pocket of what she's wearing?
2. In which direction is the truck traveling?
3. What do Mfumbe's parents write to Kayla?
4. What happens when Kayla starts to run away from the wreck?
5. How is Tova planning to get through another toll booth?
Essay Topic 1
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as mirror for the readerf? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said, "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as The Bar Code Tattoo help a reader to know him or herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading The Bar Code Tattoo? Why or why not?
3. Choose one specific incident in The Bar Code Tattoo to discuss and compare one of the characters' responses to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 2
Many novels--perhaps a majority--end on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss whether each of those reasons is satisfied by The Bar Code Tattoo. Give examples as to why The Bar Code Tattoo is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, and stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think The Bar Code Tattoo is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose the title the author did or why would you choose the alternate title you suggest?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 2,701 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)