Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kayla find in the pocket of what she's wearing?
2. In which direction is the truck traveling?
3. What do Mfumbe's parents write to Kayla?
4. What happens when Kayla starts to run away from the wreck?
5. How is Tova planning to get through another toll booth?
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in The Bar Code Tattoo. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that could represent the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Weyn chooses the symbols she does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Weyn chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Weyn's use of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clift-hangers, deux ex machina,) and how they add or detract from the story. Does Weyn use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think The Bar Code Tattoo is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose the title the author did or why would you choose the alternate title you suggest?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss The Bar Code Tattoo based upon the criteria you decide upon in the question above and judge if The Bar Code Tattoo is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different when it is written for adults versus young adults versus young teens? Why or why not? Would most adults consider The Bar Code Tattoo a successful novel? Most young teens?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)