|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mfumbe live?
2. About what do Mfumbe's parents say they are happy?
3. Where does Kayla send a message to Amber?
4. How does August remove his tattoo?
5. What does Kayla do when she hears a door open?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kayla plan to do with the e-card she finds, and how does she feel about her plan?
2. What does Nedra say on television?
3. How does Kayla explain her need to use the e-card to the waitress in the diner?
4. What prevents Mava and Tova from moving to Canada?
5. How does Mfumbe's father rationalize getting the tattoo?
6. How does Kayla connect with Mfumbe again?
7. What does Kayla find as she follows a stream in the woods?
8. Why is August on the run?
9. What vision does Kayla have the morning after their first night of traveling northward?
10. Who finds Kayla? What does this person tell Kayla?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Bar Code Tattoo is one book in a series of novels involving Kayla Reed and many of the same characters in this story. What are some advantages and disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Do you prefer to read a standalone book or a book series? Why? Justify your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of oppression as it is presented in The Bar Code Tattoo. Who is the oppressor? Who is the oppressed? How is the oppression carried out? How is the oppression fought? What might the way oppression is portrayed say about the author's view on oppression?
Essay Topic 3
What are three reasons for reading fiction? Discuss whether each of those reasons is satisfied by The Bar Code Tattoo. Justify your answers.
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)