|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Mfumbe's parents write to Kayla?
2. What does Kayla see on the television when she goes into a diner?
3. Why did August take a job after school?
4. How is Tova planning to get through another tollbooth?
5. Where does Kayla finally fall asleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mfumbe decide to steal some medicine?
2. How do Kayla and Mfumbe escape the Global-1 officers?
3. What does Kayla plan to do with the e-card she finds, and how does she feel about her plan?
4. What did Mava's and Tova's daughter warn them about? Why did the daughter treat her mother at home instead of in the hospital?
5. Where do Kayla and Mfumbe arrive after three weeks? What visions does Kayla have there?
6. Why does Kayla lie down in the woods and sleep after leaving the hospital?
7. What vision does Kayla have one morning?
8. What does Kayla write to Amber?
9. What prevents Mava and Tova from moving to Canada?
10. After Kayla says goodbye to Katie, she goes to a diner. What does Kayla see on the diner's television?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most protagonists are a mixture of admirable traits and character flaws. Kayla Reed is no exception. Explore Kayla's personality traits. Use textual evidence from the book for support.
Essay Topic 2
What is a plot? List and define the most important elements of plot. Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not? Write a brief synopsis of the plot of The Bar Code Tattoo, identifying where in the novel the elements of the plot occur. Do you find it difficult to identify the plot elements? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of oppression as it is presented in The Bar Code Tattoo. Who is the oppressor? Who is the oppressed? How is the oppression carried out? How is the oppression fought? What might the way oppression is portrayed say about the author's view on oppression?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)