Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kayla find in the pocket of what she's wearing?
2. In which direction is the truck traveling?
3. What do Mfumbe's parents write to Kayla?
4. What happens when Kayla starts to run away from the wreck?
5. How is Tova planning to get through another toll booth?
Essay Topic 1
Many novels--perhaps a majority--end on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss whether each of those reasons is satisfied by The Bar Code Tattoo. Give examples as to why The Bar Code Tattoo is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, and stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Most protagonists are a mixture of admirable traits and character flaws, and Kayla Reed is no exception.
1. Trace and analyze situations when Kayla demonstrates her instinct for handling problems that might be beyond the ability of a seventeen-year-old girl. Give specific examples to illustrate your analysis.
2. Trace and analyze Kayla's character flaws and explain how they create a more complex and believable character. How do you think Kayla's character flaws make some situations more difficult for her?
3. After analyzing Kayla's strengths and weaknesses, decide if Kayla is the main "hero" of the story. Is there anyone else who might have done a better job? Use examples from The Bar Code Tattoo and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how setting informs the plot in The Bar Code Tattoo.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Bar Code Tattoo. How is the theme expressed through symbolism? Characters' behaviors? Action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Bar Code Tattoo. How are the themes expressed through symbolism? Characters' behaviors? Action?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)