|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does Kayla tell Amber?
2. According to Ashley, what is the cause of Joseph's death?
3. How does Zekeal help Kayla when he arrives at her house?
4. Why does Kayla take the job there?
5. What is one argument against the tattoo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kayla watch happen next door on the evening of her seventeenth birthday?
2. What is Kayla reluctant to reveal about her tardiness to a meeting?
3. What does Kayla ask the guidance counselor concerning his tattoo? What is his reply?
4. Where do Amber's parents decide to move? Why does Amber have to go with them?
5. What does Gene tell Kayla about his work?
6. Where does Zekeal take Kayla after they have been to the Lobo2MeClub?
7. What does Amber say about her tattoo?
8. What are Amber's parents fighting about when Kayla arrives at their house?
9. What is the proposal Senator David Young opposes? What do those who support the proposal say about Young's opposition?
10. What does Allyson say about insurance companies and genetic coding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most protagonists are a mixture of admirable traits and character flaws. Kayla Reed is no exception. Explore Kayla's personality traits. Use textual evidence from the book for support.
Essay Topic 2
The Bar Code Tattoo is one book in a series of novels involving Kayla Reed and many of the same characters in this story. What are some advantages and disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Do you prefer to read a standalone book or a book series? Why? Justify your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Often, authors will write about "what they know." So, sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the book more interesting. Research Suzanne Weyn, the author of The Bar Code Tattoo. What events in Weyn's background may have helped her in writing The Bar Code Tattoo? What may have influenced the way she depicts various characters and scenes? Give textual evidence for support.
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)