|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Allyson say about genetic coding and health care providers?
2. In Chapter 5, what is special about a particular morning when Kayla wakes up?
3. How does Zekeal help Kayla when he arrives at her house?
4. What happens just when Kayla is about to accept being tattooed?
5. According to Ashley, what happens to the newborns at the hospital where she works?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kayla learn from her counselor about the possibility of her attending art school?
2. What does Gene tell Kayla about his work?
3. Where does Zekeal take Kayla after they have been to the Lobo2MeClub?
4. What does Kayla agree to do on her seventeenth birthday?
5. What makes Kayla decide not to get the tattoo?
6. What is happening when Kayla arrives home from the mall?
7. What does the doctor at the hospital say he must do to Kayla?
8. According to Ashley, what is the hospital doing?
9. What happens when Kayla tries to access her father's files after her mother leaves? Who helps her?
10. What are Amber's parents fighting about when Kayla arrives at their house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of oppression as it is presented in The Bar Code Tattoo. Who is the oppressor? Who is the oppressed? How is the oppression carried out? How is the oppression fought? What might the way oppression is portrayed say about the author's view on oppression?
Essay Topic 2
The Bar Code Tattoo is one book in a series of novels involving Kayla Reed and many of the same characters in this story. What are some advantages and disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Do you prefer to read a standalone book or a book series? Why? Justify your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Often, authors will write about "what they know." So, sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the book more interesting. Research Suzanne Weyn, the author of The Bar Code Tattoo. What events in Weyn's background may have helped her in writing The Bar Code Tattoo? What may have influenced the way she depicts various characters and scenes? Give textual evidence for support.
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)