|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kayla reveal that she learned?
2. What has Amber done concerning Kayla?
3. According to the newspaper's story, why was the person killed?
4. Where does Zekeal take Kayla after seeing her at the location in question fifty-seven?
5. Why are Amber's parents feeling stressed about a planned move?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Kayla arrives at his apartment, how does Zekeal explain what he is reading?
2. Where do Amber's parents decide to move? Why does Amber have to go with them?
3. According to the Tribune E-Journal, what happened to Kayla's father?
4. What does Gene tell Kayla about his work?
5. What petition does Mfumbe ask Kayla and Amber to sign?
6. What vision does Kayla have when she is cleaning the blood stains from the bathtub?
7. What does Kayla do after leaving the guidance counselor's office? Who shows concern for her?
8. What is Kayla reluctant to reveal about her tardiness to a meeting?
9. What happens when Kayla tries to access her father's files after her mother leaves? Who helps her?
10. What happens to babies whose genetic code indicates a possible future health problem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Bar Code Tattoo belongs to the science fiction genre. Define the literary term "genre." What are advantages and disadvantages to labeling a text by genre? What are similarities between different genres?
Essay Topic 2
What is a plot? List and define the most important elements of plot. Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not? Write a brief synopsis of the plot of The Bar Code Tattoo, identifying where in the novel the elements of the plot occur. Do you find it difficult to identify the plot elements? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In some ways, Kayla Reed is a larger-than-life heroine. Despite incredible odds, she usually comes out on top in The Bar Code Tattoo and in the other books in the series. Is a hero or heroine a necessary part of every work of fiction? Why or why not? Explain your answer.
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)