|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does Kayla's father die?
2. What else happens when someone gets the tattoo?
3. Based on his genetic profile, what was one medical predisposition Kayla's father had?
4. Where does Kayla find a job?
5. What does Ashley tell Kayla to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Kayla decide not to get the tattoo?
2. What vision does Kayla have when she is cleaning the blood stains from the bathtub?
3. What does Allyson say about insurance companies and genetic coding?
4. What does Kayla read about Louden Waters?
5. What are Amber's parents fighting about when Kayla arrives at their house?
6. What does Kayla watch happen next door on the evening of her seventeenth birthday?
7. Where does Zekeal take Kayla after they have been to the Lobo2MeClub?
8. Kayla's mother finds Joseph Reed's file. What does the file say about his genetic code?
9. What does Kayla learn about Zekeal when she is at his place and he is in the shower?
10. What happens to babies whose genetic code indicates a possible future health problem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze one major theme of The Bar Code Tattoo. How is the theme expressed through symbolism? Characters' behaviors? Action?
Essay Topic 2
Often, authors will write about "what they know." So, sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the book more interesting. Research Suzanne Weyn, the author of The Bar Code Tattoo. What events in Weyn's background may have helped her in writing The Bar Code Tattoo? What may have influenced the way she depicts various characters and scenes? Give textual evidence for support.
Essay Topic 3
In your opinion, what are the characteristics of a successful novel? Based upon your criteria, is The Bar Code Tattoo a successful novel. Why or why not?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)