|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Allyson say about genetic coding and health care providers?
2. What does Kayla realize if she gets a tattoo?
3. Who is reported in the newspaper to have been killed ?
4. What does Gene think of the tattoos?
5. What does Kayla want to buy for Amber's birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Amber and her parents living in the Route Nine Motor Inn?
2. What does Kayla learn Amber has done on the morning of Kayla's seventeenth birthday?
3. What are Amber's parents fighting about when Kayla arrives at their house?
4. How does Kayla explain her need to use the e-card to the waitress in the diner?
5. What does the doctor at the hospital say he must do to Kayla?
6. Which club is Kayla trying to find and who takes her there?
7. What is Kayla reluctant to reveal about her tardiness to a meeting?
8. What is the proposal Senator David Young opposes and what do those who support the proposal say about Young's opposition?
9. What does Kayla write to Amber?
10. What does Kayla ask the guidance counselor concerning his tattoo, and what is his reply?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Write on one of the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Suzanne Weyn.
2. What in Weyn's background may have helped her in writing The Bar Code Tattoo? What may have influenced the way she depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his or her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss The Bar Code Tattoo based upon the criteria you decide upon in the question above and judge if The Bar Code Tattoo is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different when it is written for adults versus young adults versus young teens? Why or why not? Would most adults consider The Bar Code Tattoo a successful novel? Most young teens?
Essay Topic 3
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as mirror for the readerf? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said, "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as The Bar Code Tattoo help a reader to know him or herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading The Bar Code Tattoo? Why or why not?
3. Choose one specific incident in The Bar Code Tattoo to discuss and compare one of the characters' responses to how you think you would respond.
This section contains 3,287 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)