|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gene think of the tattoos?
2. Who is Gene Drake?
3. Where do Amber and Kayla agree to meet?
4. What does Kayla realize will happen if she gets a tattoo?
5. What does Kayla do in the vision she has at Zekeal's place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which club is Kayla trying to find? Who takes her there?
2. Why is Gene Drake shot and killed?
3. When Kayla arrives at his apartment, how does Zekeal explain what he is reading?
4. Where do Amber's parents decide to move? Why does Amber have to go with them?
5. What does Kayla ask the guidance counselor concerning his tattoo? What is his reply?
6. What petition does Mfumbe ask Kayla and Amber to sign?
7. According to Ashley, what is the hospital doing?
8. Why are Amber and her parents living in the Route Nine Motor Inn?
9. What is the proposal Senator David Young opposes? What do those who support the proposal say about Young's opposition?
10. What makes Kayla decide not to get the tattoo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the term "author's agenda" mean? In your opinion, what issues/concerns are part of the author's agenda for The Bar Code Tattoo?
Essay Topic 2
Sometimes a book's plot is more character-driven than action-driven. Other times a book's plot is mostly action-driven. Some books seem to balance the two. Explain the difference between a character-driven and an action-driven book. Is The Bar Code Tattoo character-driven or action-driven? Use textual evidence to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of novels. Analyze how secondary characters in The Bar Code Tattoo help drive the plot. Describe their specific contributions to the storyline.
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)