Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kayla do in the stairwell after she leaves the counselor's office?
2. What do Young's opponents say about those who are opposed to bar code tattoos?
3. What does Amber give Kayla at school?
4. What is the consequence of Amber's father's defective tattoo?
5. Why is the person(s) living at the Motor Inn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kayla ask the guidance counselor concerning his tattoo, and what is his reply?
2. Where do Amber's parents decide to move and why does Amber have to go with them?
3. What does Ashley say the hospital is doing?
4. Why did Mfumbe decide to leave home and why was his departure more a choice than a necessity?
5. What does Kayla agree to do on her seventeenth birthday?
6. What does Nedra say about Mfume in a letter to the editor?
7. Why does Kayla lie down in the woods and sleep after leaving the hospital?
8. What does Allyson say about insurance companies and genetic coding?
9. What happens when Kayla tries to access her father's files after her mother leaves, and who helps her?
10. How do Kayla and Mjumbe escape the Global-1 officers?
Essay Topic 1
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as mirror for the readerf? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said, "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as The Bar Code Tattoo help a reader to know him or herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading The Bar Code Tattoo? Why or why not?
3. Choose one specific incident in The Bar Code Tattoo to discuss and compare one of the characters' responses to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in The Bar Code Tattoo? What are they? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in The Bar Code Tattoo. Include why you believe it is foreshadow. Illustrate with passages from the book.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from The Bar Code Tattoo and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in The Bar Code Tattoo. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that could represent the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Weyn chooses the symbols she does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Weyn chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Weyn's use of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clift-hangers, deux ex machina,) and how they add or detract from the story. Does Weyn use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)