|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is proposed about persons seeking public assistance?
2. What happens just when Kayla is about to accept being tattooed?
3. What is Nedra covered in when she arrives at the meeting?
4. What news does Kayla tell Amber?
5. According to the newspaper's story, why was the person killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to babies whose genetic code indicates a possible future health problem?
2. According to Ashley, what is the hospital doing?
3. According to the Tribune E-Journal, what happened to Kayla's father?
4. What does Kayla learn about Zekeal when she is at his place and he is in the shower?
5. When Kayla arrives at his apartment, how does Zekeal explain what he is reading?
6. What are Amber's parents fighting about when Kayla arrives at their house?
7. What does Amber say about her tattoo?
8. What does Kayla watch happen next door on the evening of her seventeenth birthday?
9. What does Kayla do after leaving the guidance counselor's office? Who shows concern for her?
10. What is happening when Kayla arrives home from the mall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In your opinion, what are the characteristics of a successful novel? Based upon your criteria, is The Bar Code Tattoo a successful novel. Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The Bar Code Tattoo belongs to the science fiction genre. Define the literary term "genre." What are advantages and disadvantages to labeling a text by genre? What are similarities between different genres?
Essay Topic 3
In some ways, Kayla Reed is a larger-than-life heroine. Despite incredible odds, she usually comes out on top in The Bar Code Tattoo and in the other books in the series. Is a hero or heroine a necessary part of every work of fiction? Why or why not? Explain your answer.
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)