|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ashley say is the cause of Joseph's death?
2. What is Nedra covered in when she arrives at the meeting?
3. What does Kayla suggest are related?
4. In what year does Kayla's father die?
5. Who is Gene Drake?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ashley say the hospital is doing?
2. What does Kayla learn Amber has done on the morning of Kayla's seventeenth birthday?
3. Why is August on the run?
4. What does Kayla read about Louden Waters?
5. Which club is Kayla trying to find and who takes her there?
6. What is on the television in the diner Kayla enters after she says goodbye to Katie?
7. What does Zekeal say Kayla should do?
8. What is the proposal Senator David Young opposes and what do those who support the proposal say about Young's opposition?
9. What does Kayla admit to herself as she is leaving the hospital?
10. What does Kayla agree to do on her seventeenth birthday?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are are the protagonist(s) of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonist(s) of the story and why?
3. Which three secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot? Explain your choice.
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The Bar Code Tattoo is one book in a series of novels involving Kayla Reed and many of the other characters who appear in The Bar Code Tattoo.
1. What are two advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples from The Bar Code Tattoo and your own life to support your answer.
2. What are two disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples from The Bar Code Tattoo and your own life to support your answer.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
5. Do you plan to read the next book in the series? Why or why not? Use specific reasons from The Bar Code Tattoo and/or your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare and contrast the characters of Kayla and Mrs. Reed. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare and contrast the characters of Mfumbe and Zekeal. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in The Bar Code Tattoo help drive the plot. Describe their spedific contribution is to the storyline. Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and explain what in the book elicits your response to them.
This section contains 3,249 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)