|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Kayla has coffee spilled on her hand?
(a) She is badly burned.
(b) The fake tattoo runs.
(c) The waitress recognizes her.
(d) Someone remarks about the lack of a tattoo.
2. Why does the other patient in Kayla's hospital room fall to the floor?
(a) The woman begins having convulsions.
(b) She does not fall; she is pushed to the floor.
(c) The woman trips over a cart a nurse left in the room.
(d) The woman stands up too fast.
3. Where does Mfumbe live?
(a) In a nearby cabin.
(b) In the attic of the cabin where he encounters Kayla.
(c) Where he and Kayla meet.
(d) In a cave near the cabin.
4. Why does Kayla have to force herself to keep moving?
(a) She is tired of running.
(b) She is depressed.
(c) She is ill and has a fever.
(d) She is questioning her decision to run.
5. What memory from her dream warms Kayla despite her waking feeling chilled?
(a) Her mother's love for her aunt.
(b) Zekeal saying he would always help her.
(c) Her mother saying, "I love you."
(d) Her father holding her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kayla suddenly realize?
2. How does Mfumbe earn enough to feed himself?
3. Why did August take a job after school?
4. What does Nedra say Kayla did?
5. What does Mfumbe tell Kayla?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mfumbe decide to steal some medicine?
2. Why is August on the run?
3. What does Katie tell Kayla concerning the bar code?
4. What does Nedra say about Mfume in a letter to the editor?
5. Where is Mfumbe staying? What is discussed by Mfumbe and Kayla at breakfast?
6. What does Kayla admit to herself as she is leaving the hospital?
7. What does Kayla find as she follows a stream in the woods?
8. Why does Mfumbe decide to leave home? Why is his departure a choice rather than a necessity?
9. What vision does Kayla have the morning after their first night of traveling northward?
10. What does Nedra say on television?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)