|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does Kayla tell Amber?
(a) About her fight with Mfumbe.
(b) About the scholarship.
(c) About her parents' attitude.
(d) About her low grades.
2. What else happens when someone gets the tattoo?
(a) A blood test.
(b) A microchip is implanted.
(c) An iris imprinting.
(d) A full-body scan.
3. What does Kayla's counselor say is a matter of convenience?
(a) Living at the bachelor quarters at the school.
(b) Doing all his shopping at the State store.
(c) Walking to his job.
(d) The bar code tattoo.
4. What does Kayla ask her counselor about his wrist?
(a) If he had broken his wrist.
(b) If his wrist hurts.
(c) If he was forced to tattoo his wrist.
(d) If the tattoo on it is disconcerting.
5. How does Kayla's father supposedly die?
(b) Accidental drowning.
(d) Heart attack.
6. Why does Kayla decide not to have the tattoo?
(a) She's afraid of infection.
(b) Because of her vision.
(c) Her boyfriend convinced her to wait.
(d) She is angry with Amber.
7. According to Ashley, what happens to the newborns at the hospital where she works?
(a) They are being screened for AIDS.
(b) They are receiving ID chips.
(c) They are being swapped around without the parents knowing it.
(d) They are being racially culled.
8. What does Kayla suggest for her and Amber to do?
(a) Find out if the thrift shop will hire Amber.
(b) Drive to Las Vegas.
(c) Drive to Denver.
(d) Find a place to live together.
9. According to Ashley, what is happening to the healthy babies at the hospital?
(a) They are being "adopted" by the State.
(b) They are being swapped to the best parents.
(c) They are being genetically enhanced.
(d) They are being sent to training schools and their parents told they are dead.
10. Who is living at the Route Nine Motor Inn?
(a) Kayla's grandfather.
(b) Amber and her parents.
(c) Gene Drake's former roommate.
(d) Kayla's older brother.
11. What is the name of Kayla's high school?
(a) Art and Culinary Magnet School.
(c) Jones IB School.
12. Amber argues in favor of ___________________.
(a) The tattoo.
(b) Having her grandparents convince her parents to sign the applications.
(c) Going to film school instead of a traditional college.
(d) Mfumbe as a boyfriend.
13. Who or what is at Kayla's house when she gets home?
(a) A crowd of people.
(b) A fire truck.
14. Where does Zekeal take Kayla after seeing her at the location in question fifty-seven?
(a) To the post office.
(b) To a secret meeting.
(c) To his house.
(d) To her home.
15. Why is a particular character in the story residing at the Route Nine Motor Inn?
(a) The person manages the motel.
(b) The person is unemployed.
(c) The person is evading the law.
(d) The person has been evicted from their home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Zekeal reading when Kayla gets to his apartment?
2. To what does the newspaper article attribute Joseph Reed's death?
3. What happens if the hospital determines a child may have a future problem?
4. What is Gene's job?
5. What is Kayla's mother looking at on the computer?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)