|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what college is Mr. Brook associated?
2. What does Martin do when Emily sobs at the table?
3. What does Mr. Brook find unusual about Madame Zilensky's home a few weeks after her arrival?
4. What does the rich man dip into his water glass?
5. Who walks past Ferris' hotel room window?
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the stories. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Amelia. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her, if anything, at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
There are several events of foreshadowing in "Ballad of the Sad Cafe". Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)