|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Bitsy dressed in the story?
2. Why will Bitsy's young jockey friend never ride a horse in a race again?
3. What food does Bitsy chew and then spit out on the carpet?
4. How can Madame Zilensky's home life be characterized?
5. How many children does Madame Zilensky have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the motif of life-death-life. Identify at least two motifs about life-death-life in the book. Then cite an example to support each answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks to create "Ballad of the Sad Cafe." Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
This section contains 181 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)