|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Martin feel about the state of his family?
2. How does the author characterize Mr. Brook?
3. Why does Martin Meadows leave his office early one Friday?
4. What is the central theme in this story?
5. What is unusual about Madame Zilensky mentioning the King of Finland?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in the rural South in the 1940s when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 2
Carson McCullers is famous for her use of shocking situations for her characters. Select three situations from any of the stories and explain why they fit into this classification.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title. What did the author mean by calling the THE BALLAD OF THE SAD CAFE? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 226 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)