|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Emily do to Marianne one night when Emily was drunk?
2. What is Madame Zilensky's claim to fame?
3. What does Bitsy call the men before stomping away?
4. How many children does Madame Zilensky have?
5. What is the setting for this story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks to create "Ballad of the Sad Cafe." Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
Essay Topic 2
Carson McCullers is famous for her use of outcast characters in her fiction. Select three characters and explain what makes them such outcasts either physically or in demeanor.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Cousin Lymon. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him, if anything, at this point in her life?
This section contains 200 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)