Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What rude name does Marvin call Cousin Lymon?
2. Who accidentally gets the plate of poisoned food when Amelia tries to poison Marvin?
3. For how long do Amelia and Marvin throw punches at each other?
4. What does Marvin rub on his body prior to the big fight?
5. What is the Harmonious Blacksmith?
Short Essay Questions
1. What literary technique does McCullers use in mentioning Amelia's brief marriage to Marvin Macy?
2. What causes Martin to feel love and not anger for Emily?
3. What is the setting of the story and who are the characters introduced?
4. What literary technique does McCullers use in telling this story and what tone does she set in accomplishing it?
5. What information does the author provide about events leading up to Miss Amelia's ten-day marriage?
6. Explain the old man's "a tree, a rock, a cloud" system of learning to love.
7. What is Mr. Brook's first clue that Madame Zilensky may have mental issues?
8. What is the setting for "The Ballad of the Sad Cafe?"
9. How have Lymon's feelings for Marvin altered the love triangle of Amelia, Marvin, and Lymon?
10. What stage is the old man in in his system of learning to love?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall settings for the stories. Why does the author use the settings she does? What is the time period of the stories? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Carson McCullers is famous for her use of shocking situations for her characters. Select three situations from any of the stories and explain why they fit into this classification.
Essay Topic 3
There are several events of foreshadowing in "Ballad of the Sad Cafe". Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)