|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is notable about a man who approaches Amelia's house one day?
2. To where does Amelia retreat after her defeat?
3. Amelia and Cousin Lymon are both ____________.
4. Who is Marvin Macy's brother?
5. What does Marvin do to Lymon to get him to be quiet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What unusual event occurs on Marvin and Amelia's wedding night and how does Marvin try to salvage the situation?
2. What is Mr. Brook's first clue that Madame Zilensky may have mental issues?
3. How does Cousin Lymon ultimately betray Amelia?
4. Who is Mr. Brook and what feat has he just managed to pull off for his college?
5. How did the old man come to terms with his wife's leaving him for another man?
6. How does Lymon try to ingratiate himself to Marvin?
7. With whom does Frances share the title of "wunderkind" and why does she think she cannot live up to the name?
8. Why could Martin's children not eat the meal their mother had prepared for them earlier?
9. Why is John Ferris is a New York hotel and what seems to consume his thoughts?
10. What is happening to Frances which Mister Bilderbach is completely unaware of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several events of foreshadowing in "Ballad of the Sad Cafe". Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the stories. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of the settings for the story. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did the author choose to use these places in the story?
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)