|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lymon say he is mesmerized by Marvin?
2. What is the state of the largest house in the center of town?
3. Why is Frances' playing so emotionless?
4. To whom does Lymon seem attracted now?
5. What eventually happens to Amelia's cafe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Cousin Lymon and how does he enter Amelia's life?
2. What is Leo's role in the story?
3. What does the old man tell the boy about the woman he had been married to?
4. Why has Frances begun to dread her piano lessons even though she is technically very competent?
5. How does John connect with his ex-wife, Elizabeth, while in New York?
6. How does the relationship between Amelia and Lymon compare to the one between Amelia and Marvin?
7. How have Lymon's feelings for Marvin altered the love triangle of Amelia, Marvin, and Lymon?
8. What is the nature of the altercation between Martin and his wife, Emily?
9. After listening to so many of Madame Zilensky's stories, what finally alerts Mr. Brook that she is a pathological liar?
10. How does much of the story play out in Frances' head?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Marvin Macy. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates her, if anything, at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 2
Select three stories from this collection and explain the significance of their titles. What did the author mean by naming the stories like she did? Cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Carson McCullers is famous for her use of shocking situations for her characters. Select three situations from any of the stories and explain why they fit into this classification.
This section contains 1,744 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)