|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will the man in #12 be called?
2. Who wrecks Amelia's cafe?
3. How does Amelia spend the rest of her life?
4. Why does Lymon say he is mesmerized by Marvin?
5. What business does Amelia run from her house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can Amelia's life be characterized?
2. What is the dilemma the author writes about in the title of the story?
3. What does Lymon admit to Amelia is his attraction to Marvin?
4. What is the nature of the cafe in the four years since Cousin Lymon arrived?
5. Explain the old man's "a tree, a rock, a cloud" system of learning to love.
6. Why is John Ferris is a New York hotel and what seems to consume his thoughts?
7. What does the author reveal about Miss Amelia's character and personality?
8. Why do the men in town get riled up on the day after Cousin Lymon's arrival and what are their plans?
9. How does the end of Marvin and Amelia's marriage foreshadow what will happen to Amelia and Cousin Lymon?
10. What is the setting for "The Ballad of the Sad Cafe?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Disappointment takes on an almost human persona in these stories. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title. What did the author mean by calling the THE BALLAD OF THE SAD CAFE? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the stories. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)