|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what is Miss Amelia noted for making?
2. What does Marvin do to Lymon to get him to be quiet?
3. What is the Harmonious Blacksmith?
4. In what month does the fight between Amelia and Marvin occur?
5. What is an evil omen about Marvin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why could Martin's children not eat the meal their mother had prepared for them earlier?
2. Why has Frances begun to dread her piano lessons even though she is technically very competent?
3. What does Martin Meadows find when he arrives at his home early one Friday afternoon?
4. How does Amelia try to get rid of Marvin?
5. How does the end of Marvin and Amelia's marriage foreshadow what will happen to Amelia and Cousin Lymon?
6. What information does the author provide about events leading up to Miss Amelia's ten-day marriage?
7. What is happening to Frances which Mister Bilderbach is completely unaware of?
8. What is the main theme in this story?
9. How does much of the story play out in Frances' head?
10. What is the result of the one-sided relationship between Amelia and Cousin Lymon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Prejudice and discrimination against people unlike you is a common thread in McCullers' stories. Cite two examples in this book and explain what you think McCullers was trying to say in each.
Essay Topic 2
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall settings for the stories. Why does the author use the settings she does? What is the time period of the stories? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)