|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what is Miss Amelia noted for making?
2. On what day do Amelia and Marvin have a big fight?
3. To whom does Lymon seem attracted now?
4. What is one of the ways that Amelia tries to get rid of Marvin?
5. Who has Marvin's brother brought with him to Amelia's cafe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What stage is the old man in in his system of learning to love?
2. What does Martin reason is the cause of Emily's alcoholism?
3. How does Mr. Brook finally confront Madame Zilensky and how does he ultimately handle the situation with her?
4. With whom does Frances share the title of "wunderkind" and why does she think she cannot live up to the name?
5. How do the wealthy men react to the news that the young injured jockey will never ride again?
6. What is the nature of the altercation between Martin and his wife, Emily?
7. How does Amelia react when Marvin moves into the house?
8. Who is Cousin Lymon and how does he enter Amelia's life?
9. How does Lymon try to ingratiate himself to Marvin?
10. Why is Bitsy so bitter about his situation regarding his life compared to the lives of the rich men at the table?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks to create "Ballad of the Sad Cafe." Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
Essay Topic 2
"Ballad of the Sad Cafe" is a classic story of love and betrayal. What does that classification entail? Why does this story fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Carson McCullers is famous for her use of shocking situations for her characters. Select three situations from any of the stories and explain why they fit into this classification.
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)