|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what area of the United States does this story take place?
2. To whom does Lymon seem attracted now?
3. How old was Marvin Macy when he married Amelia?
4. Amelia and Cousin Lymon are both ____________.
5. What is the state of the largest house in the center of town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when a young boy enters a diner one night?
2. How does Cousin Lymon ultimately betray Amelia?
3. What is the setting of the story and who are the characters introduced?
4. How does much of the story play out in Frances' head?
5. How does John connect with his ex-wife, Elizabeth, while in New York?
6. What do the men think about Bitsy especially in light of the accident suffered by his good friend?
7. What is the dilemma the author writes about in the title of the story?
8. How do the wealthy men react to the news that the young injured jockey will never ride again?
9. Why does Mr. Brook rationalize that Madame Zilensky has created a world of lies?
10. What causes Martin to feel love and not anger for Emily?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Amelia. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her, if anything, at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 2
Select three stories from this collection and explain the significance of their titles. What did the author mean by naming the stories like she did? Cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Carson McCullers is famous for her use of outcast characters in her fiction. Select three characters and explain what makes them such outcasts either physically or in demeanor.
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)