|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The boxing match between Amelia and Marvin transitions into __________________.
2. What eventually happens to Amelia's cafe?
3. On what day do Amelia and Marvin have a big fight?
4. Who jumps onto Amelia when she has Marvin in a defeated pin?
5. To whom does Lymon seem attracted now?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Martin to feel love and not anger for Emily?
2. What does the old man tell the boy about the woman he had been married to?
3. How does John connect with his ex-wife, Elizabeth, while in New York?
4. What does Martin reason is the cause of Emily's alcoholism?
5. Why does Mr. Brook rationalize that Madame Zilensky has created a world of lies?
6. What does Martin Meadows find when he arrives at his home early one Friday afternoon?
7. What is Mr. Brook's first clue that Madame Zilensky may have mental issues?
8. Explain the role of misfits in McCullers' work and how Cousin Lymon and Amelia both fall into that category.
9. How can Amelia's life be characterized?
10. What becomes of Amelia after Cousin Lymon and Marvin wreck her cafe and then leave town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select three stories from this collection and explain the significance of their titles. What did the author mean by naming the stories like she did? Cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall settings for the stories. Why does the author use the settings she does? What is the time period of the stories? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Carson McCullers is famous for her use of outcast characters in her fiction. Select three characters and explain what makes them such outcasts either physically or in demeanor.
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)