|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What rude name does Marvin call Cousin Lymon?
2. What is the sole focus of Frances' life?
3. What is the busiest night in Amelia's cafe?
4. To where does Amelia retreat after her defeat?
5. Who jumps onto Amelia when she has Marvin in a defeated pin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is John Ferris is a New York hotel and what seems to consume his thoughts?
2. How does the end of Marvin and Amelia's marriage foreshadow what will happen to Amelia and Cousin Lymon?
3. What unusual event occurs on Marvin and Amelia's wedding night and how does Marvin try to salvage the situation?
4. What happens when a young boy enters a diner one night?
5. What is the setting for "The Ballad of the Sad Cafe?"
6. How did the old man come to terms with his wife's leaving him for another man?
7. What is the setting of the story and who are the characters introduced?
8. Does Frances know why her piano playing has become lifeless?
9. What do the men think about Bitsy especially in light of the accident suffered by his good friend?
10. What is happening to Frances which Mister Bilderbach is completely unaware of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Disappointment takes on an almost human persona in these stories. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title. What did the author mean by calling the THE BALLAD OF THE SAD CAFE? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Select three stories from this collection and explain the significance of their titles. What did the author mean by naming the stories like she did? Cite examples to support your answers.
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)