|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is happening to Frances that Mr. Bilderbach is unaware of?
2. How does Amelia spend the rest of her life?
3. Frances' piano playing lately has been proficient yet _____________.
4. Who is Mister Bilderbach?
5. Amelia takes Lymon to picture shows and ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Frances know why her piano playing has become lifeless?
2. How does Amelia react when Marvin moves into the house?
3. What does John's address book symbolize?
4. With whom does Frances share the title of "wunderkind" and why does she think she cannot live up to the name?
5. How does the relationship between Amelia and Lymon compare to the one between Amelia and Marvin?
6. What is Leo's role in the story?
7. How do the townspeople know that Amelia is in love with Cousin Lymon?
8. How have Lymon's feelings for Marvin altered the love triangle of Amelia, Marvin, and Lymon?
9. Who is Mr. Brook and what feat has he just managed to pull off for his college?
10. What does the old man tell the boy about the woman he had been married to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the stories. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
Prejudice and discrimination against people unlike you is a common thread in McCullers' stories. Cite two examples in this book and explain what you think McCullers was trying to say in each.
Essay Topic 3
Select three characters from any of the stories and project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for their lives. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization.
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)