Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What rude name does Marvin call Cousin Lymon?
2. Who accidentally gets the plate of poisoned food when Amelia tries to poison Marvin?
3. For how long do Amelia and Marvin throw punches at each other?
4. What does Marvin rub on his body prior to the big fight?
5. What is the Harmonious Blacksmith?
Short Essay Questions
1. What literary technique does McCullers use in mentioning Amelia's brief marriage to Marvin Macy?
2. What causes Martin to feel love and not anger for Emily?
3. What is the setting of the story and who are the characters introduced?
4. What literary technique does McCullers use in telling this story and what tone does she set in accomplishing it?
5. What information does the author provide about events leading up to Miss Amelia's ten-day marriage?
6. Explain the old man's "a tree, a rock, a cloud" system of learning to love.
7. What is Mr. Brook's first clue that Madame Zilensky may have mental issues?
8. What is the setting for "The Ballad of the Sad Cafe?"
9. How have Lymon's feelings for Marvin altered the love triangle of Amelia, Marvin, and Lymon?
10. What stage is the old man in in his system of learning to love?
Explain the significance of the book's title. What did the author mean by calling the THE BALLAD OF THE SAD CAFE? Cite an example to support your answer.
Describe some of the settings for the story. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did the author choose to use these places in the story?
Carson McCullers is famous for her use of shocking situations for her characters. Select three situations from any of the stories and explain why they fit into this classification.
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)