|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Miss Amelia's demeanor?
2. What news about Marvin does Marvin's brother give to Amelia?
3. What is notable about a man who approaches Amelia's house one day?
4. What is wrong with the sick child brought to see Amelia?
5. What eventually happens to the town?
Short Essay Questions
1. After listening to so many of Madame Zilensky's stories, what finally alerts Mr. Brook that she is a pathological liar?
2. How does John connect with his ex-wife, Elizabeth, while in New York?
3. Who is Cousin Lymon and how does he enter Amelia's life?
4. What is the setting of the story and who are the characters introduced?
5. What is the nature of the cafe in the four years since Cousin Lymon arrived?
6. Describe John's visit to Elizabeth's home.
7. What becomes of Amelia after Cousin Lymon and Marvin wreck her cafe and then leave town?
8. What is Leo's role in the story?
9. How does the relationship between Amelia and Lymon compare to the one between Amelia and Marvin?
10. Why is Bitsy so bitter about his situation regarding his life compared to the lives of the rich men at the table?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the settings for the story. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did the author choose to use these places in the story?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the stories. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall settings for the stories. Why does the author use the settings she does? What is the time period of the stories? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)