|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lymon give Marvin permission to do one day?
2. What is the sole focus of Frances' life?
3. In what month does the story take place?
4. How many years has Lymon been at Amelia's by this time?
5. Frances' piano playing lately has been proficient yet _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the men think about Bitsy especially in light of the accident suffered by his good friend?
2. Why is John Ferris is a New York hotel and what seems to consume his thoughts?
3. What does Lymon admit to Amelia is his attraction to Marvin?
4. How does Cousin Lymon ultimately betray Amelia?
5. What is happening to Frances which Mister Bilderbach is completely unaware of?
6. How does much of the story play out in Frances' head?
7. How do Bitsy's advancing years and his friend's accident force him to face the reality of his life?
8. What does the author reveal about Miss Amelia's character and personality?
9. What does the old man tell the boy about the woman he had been married to?
10. What stage is the old man in in his system of learning to love?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several events of foreshadowing in "Ballad of the Sad Cafe". Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Describe some of the settings for the story. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did the author choose to use these places in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Select three stories from this collection and explain the significance of their titles. What did the author mean by naming the stories like she did? Cite examples to support your answers.
This section contains 1,694 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)