|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Amelia do with the gifts Marvin gives her?
2. On what day do Amelia and Marvin have a big fight?
3. What does Lymon give Marvin permission to do one day?
4. Who jumps onto Amelia when she has Marvin in a defeated pin?
5. What does Frances do when Mr. Bilderbach wants her to play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Cousin Lymon and how does he enter Amelia's life?
2. Compare and contrast John's life now with the new life Elizabeth has created.
3. How does Cousin Lymon ultimately betray Amelia?
4. What is Leo's role in the story?
5. What does Mister Bilderbach try to get Frances to play in her lesson to get her enthused again?
6. What does Martin Meadows find when he arrives at his home early one Friday afternoon?
7. Why is John Ferris is a New York hotel and what seems to consume his thoughts?
8. How do Amelia and Marvin prepare for their big fight?
9. What information does the author provide about events leading up to Miss Amelia's ten-day marriage?
10. Does Frances know why her piano playing has become lifeless?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carson McCullers is famous for her use of outcast characters in her fiction. Select three characters and explain what makes them such outcasts either physically or in demeanor.
Essay Topic 2
Select three stories from this collection and explain the significance of their titles. What did the author mean by naming the stories like she did? Cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Carson McCullers is famous for her use of shocking situations for her characters. Select three situations from any of the stories and explain why they fit into this classification.
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)