|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the man who comes to Amelia's house tell her?
2. In what season of the year does Marvin return to town?
3. What do Marvin and Lymon do together?
4. What is the sole focus of Frances' life?
5. What is one of the ways that Amelia tries to get rid of Marvin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What unusual event occurs on Marvin and Amelia's wedding night and how does Marvin try to salvage the situation?
2. Why does Mr. Brook rationalize that Madame Zilensky has created a world of lies?
3. What is Leo's role in the story?
4. How do Bitsy's advancing years and his friend's accident force him to face the reality of his life?
5. How do Amelia and Marvin prepare for their big fight?
6. How does Amelia react when Marvin moves into the house?
7. What is the result of the one-sided relationship between Amelia and Cousin Lymon?
8. Why could Martin's children not eat the meal their mother had prepared for them earlier?
9. How does the end of Marvin and Amelia's marriage foreshadow what will happen to Amelia and Cousin Lymon?
10. What becomes of Amelia after Cousin Lymon and Marvin wreck her cafe and then leave town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the stories. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall settings for the stories. Why does the author use the settings she does? What is the time period of the stories? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks to create "Ballad of the Sad Cafe." Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
This section contains 1,083 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)