|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the student who is profiled in a magazine?
2. Frances' piano playing lately has been proficient yet _____________.
3. Who is Miss Amelia?
4. How many years has Lymon been at Amelia's by this time?
5. What instrument does the student in the magazine profile play?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the old man come to terms with his wife's leaving him for another man?
2. Who is Cousin Lymon and how does he enter Amelia's life?
3. What becomes of Amelia after Cousin Lymon and Marvin wreck her cafe and then leave town?
4. What literary technique does McCullers use in telling this story and what tone does she set in accomplishing it?
5. With whom does Frances share the title of "wunderkind" and why does she think she cannot live up to the name?
6. What does Mister Bilderbach try to get Frances to play in her lesson to get her enthused again?
7. What information does the author provide about events leading up to Miss Amelia's ten-day marriage?
8. What does Martin Meadows find when he arrives at his home early one Friday afternoon?
9. What does Martin reason is the cause of Emily's alcoholism?
10. Describe John's visit to Elizabeth's home.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks to create "Ballad of the Sad Cafe." Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
Essay Topic 2
Select three characters from any of the stories and project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for their lives. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Amelia. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her, if anything, at this point in her life?
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)