|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What rude name does Marvin call Cousin Lymon?
2. Who accidentally gets the plate of poisoned food when Amelia tries to poison Marvin?
3. For how long do Amelia and Marvin throw punches at each other?
4. What does Marvin rub on his body prior to the big fight?
5. What is the Harmonious Blacksmith?
Short Essay Questions
1. What literary technique does McCullers use in mentioning Amelia's brief marriage to Marvin Macy?
2. What causes Martin to feel love and not anger for Emily?
3. What is the setting of the story and who are the characters introduced?
4. What literary technique does McCullers use in telling this story and what tone does she set in accomplishing it?
5. What information does the author provide about events leading up to Miss Amelia's ten-day marriage?
6. Explain the old man's "a tree, a rock, a cloud" system of learning to love.
7. What is Mr. Brook's first clue that Madame Zilensky may have mental issues?
8. What is the setting for "The Ballad of the Sad Cafe?"
9. How have Lymon's feelings for Marvin altered the love triangle of Amelia, Marvin, and Lymon?
10. What stage is the old man in in his system of learning to love?
Essay Topic 1
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Marvin Macy. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates her, if anything, at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in the rural South in the 1940s when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
This section contains 1,593 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)