|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Miss Amelia's only marriage last?
2. Why does Amelia not say anything to Lymon about giving so many privileges to Marvin?
3. Frances' piano playing lately has been proficient yet _____________.
4. What is an evil omen about Marvin?
5. What rude name does Marvin call Cousin Lymon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Mr. Brook and what feat has he just managed to pull off for his college?
2. What does Martin Meadows find when he arrives at his home early one Friday afternoon?
3. What is the setting of the story and who are the characters introduced?
4. What literary technique does McCullers use in mentioning Amelia's brief marriage to Marvin Macy?
5. How does John connect with his ex-wife, Elizabeth, while in New York?
6. What happens to Marvin after Amelia kicks him out of the house?
7. How does Amelia try to get rid of Marvin?
8. What does Lymon admit to Amelia is his attraction to Marvin?
9. How do Amelia and Marvin prepare for their big fight?
10. Does Frances know why her piano playing has become lifeless?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the settings for the story. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did the author choose to use these places in the story?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the motif of life-death-life. Identify at least two motifs about life-death-life in the book. Then cite an example to support each answer.
Essay Topic 3
Prejudice and discrimination against people unlike you is a common thread in McCullers' stories. Cite two examples in this book and explain what you think McCullers was trying to say in each.
This section contains 1,592 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)