|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the student who is profiled in a magazine?
2. What does Marvin do to Lymon to get him to be quiet?
3. What happens to Amelia after the activity in #66?
4. Why does Lymon say he is mesmerized by Marvin?
5. How long did Miss Amelia's only marriage last?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the old man come to terms with his wife's leaving him for another man?
2. What information does the author provide about events leading up to Miss Amelia's ten-day marriage?
3. What does Martin reason is the cause of Emily's alcoholism?
4. What does John's address book symbolize?
5. What unusual event occurs on Marvin and Amelia's wedding night and how does Marvin try to salvage the situation?
6. How have Lymon's feelings for Marvin altered the love triangle of Amelia, Marvin, and Lymon?
7. What is the main theme in this story?
8. What stage is the old man in in his system of learning to love?
9. What is happening to Frances which Mister Bilderbach is completely unaware of?
10. How does Lymon try to ingratiate himself to Marvin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several events of foreshadowing in "Ballad of the Sad Cafe". Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the stories. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Cousin Lymon. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him, if anything, at this point in her life?
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)