|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Amelia's demeanor toward the sick child?
2. Who is Miss Amelia?
3. What is an evil omen about Marvin?
4. To where does Amelia retreat after her defeat?
5. Frances believes she can never be ___________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lymon admit to Amelia is his attraction to Marvin?
2. What is the setting for "The Ballad of the Sad Cafe?"
3. What is the result of the one-sided relationship between Amelia and Cousin Lymon?
4. Who is Mr. Brook and what feat has he just managed to pull off for his college?
5. What details does McCullers provide which would serve to especially infuriate Bitsy about the men?
6. What is the nature of the altercation between Martin and his wife, Emily?
7. What stage is the old man in in his system of learning to love?
8. How does Amelia try to get rid of Marvin?
9. Why could Martin's children not eat the meal their mother had prepared for them earlier?
10. Does Frances know why her piano playing has become lifeless?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carson McCullers is famous for her use of shocking situations for her characters. Select three situations from any of the stories and explain why they fit into this classification.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in the rural South in the 1940s when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 3
Prejudice and discrimination against people unlike you is a common thread in McCullers' stories. Cite two examples in this book and explain what you think McCullers was trying to say in each.
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)