|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Amelia and Cousin Lymon are both ____________.
2. What does Lymon give Marvin permission to do one day?
3. What does the man who comes to Amelia's house tell her?
4. For how long do Amelia and Marvin throw punches at each other?
5. Frances' piano playing lately has been proficient yet _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lymon try to ingratiate himself to Marvin?
2. How does Cousin Lymon ultimately betray Amelia?
3. Why is Bitsy so bitter about his situation regarding his life compared to the lives of the rich men at the table?
4. Why has Frances begun to dread her piano lessons even though she is technically very competent?
5. Why is John Ferris is a New York hotel and what seems to consume his thoughts?
6. How do Bitsy's advancing years and his friend's accident force him to face the reality of his life?
7. How does John connect with his ex-wife, Elizabeth, while in New York?
8. How does Mr. Brook finally confront Madame Zilensky and how does he ultimately handle the situation with her?
9. What does the old man tell the boy about the woman he had been married to?
10. Who is Cousin Lymon and how does he enter Amelia's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the settings for the story. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did the author choose to use these places in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title. What did the author mean by calling the THE BALLAD OF THE SAD CAFE? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the stories. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 1,765 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)