|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is entranced by Marvin?
2. How does Amelia spend the rest of her life?
3. Where does Marvin serve time for committing crimes?
4. With what is Marvin associated in the story?
5. How does Amelia behave toward Lymon by this point in time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the setting for "The Ballad of the Sad Cafe?"
2. How does Lymon try to ingratiate himself to Marvin?
3. What literary technique does McCullers use in telling this story and what tone does she set in accomplishing it?
4. What stage is the old man in in his system of learning to love?
5. What is the result of the one-sided relationship between Amelia and Cousin Lymon?
6. What is the main theme in this story?
7. How does Cousin Lymon ultimately betray Amelia?
8. How have Lymon's feelings for Marvin altered the love triangle of Amelia, Marvin, and Lymon?
9. What does Martin Meadows find when he arrives at his home early one Friday afternoon?
10. What does Mister Bilderbach try to get Frances to play in her lesson to get her enthused again?
Essay Topic 1
Select three stories from this collection and explain the significance of their titles. What did the author mean by naming the stories like she did? Cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Carson McCullers is famous for her use of outcast characters in her fiction. Select three characters and explain what makes them such outcasts either physically or in demeanor.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the stories. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 1,578 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)