|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Lymon convinced Amelia to buy for the cafe?
2. Where does Marvin serve time for committing crimes?
3. What is the physical manifestation of Cousin Lymon's outcast status?
4. What literary technique does McCullers use to tell this story?
5. Both Frances and the student in #78 have been dubbed ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when a young boy enters a diner one night?
2. What does Lymon admit to Amelia is his attraction to Marvin?
3. How can Amelia's life be characterized?
4. How does Amelia react when Marvin moves into the house?
5. Why is John Ferris is a New York hotel and what seems to consume his thoughts?
6. Who is Mr. Brook and what feat has he just managed to pull off for his college?
7. What is the result of the one-sided relationship between Amelia and Cousin Lymon?
8. How does much of the story play out in Frances' head?
9. What does John's address book symbolize?
10. What becomes of Amelia after Cousin Lymon and Marvin wreck her cafe and then leave town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Marvin Macy. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates her, if anything, at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 2
Select three stories from this collection and explain the significance of their titles. What did the author mean by naming the stories like she did? Cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Prejudice and discrimination against people unlike you is a common thread in McCullers' stories. Cite two examples in this book and explain what you think McCullers was trying to say in each.
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)