|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrecks Amelia's cafe?
2. What did critics say about Frances' performance of the piece in #83?
3. What is the busiest night in Amelia's cafe?
4. What happens to Amelia after the activity in #66?
5. To whom does Lymon seem attracted now?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the old man's "a tree, a rock, a cloud" system of learning to love.
2. What stage is the old man in in his system of learning to love?
3. What do the men think about Bitsy especially in light of the accident suffered by his good friend?
4. What is the nature of the altercation between Martin and his wife, Emily?
5. What is the setting for "The Ballad of the Sad Cafe?"
6. What becomes of Amelia after Cousin Lymon and Marvin wreck her cafe and then leave town?
7. What does Lymon admit to Amelia is his attraction to Marvin?
8. How does Lymon try to ingratiate himself to Marvin?
9. What are some of the strange situations that Mr. Brook finds at Madame Zilensky's house?
10. Why could Martin's children not eat the meal their mother had prepared for them earlier?
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Amelia. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her, if anything, at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall settings for the stories. Why does the author use the settings she does? What is the time period of the stories? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks to create "Ballad of the Sad Cafe." Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
This section contains 1,642 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)