Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What rude name does Marvin call Cousin Lymon?
2. Who accidentally gets the plate of poisoned food when Amelia tries to poison Marvin?
3. For how long do Amelia and Marvin throw punches at each other?
4. What does Marvin rub on his body prior to the big fight?
5. What is the Harmonious Blacksmith?
Short Essay Questions
1. What literary technique does McCullers use in mentioning Amelia's brief marriage to Marvin Macy?
2. What causes Martin to feel love and not anger for Emily?
3. What is the setting of the story and who are the characters introduced?
4. What literary technique does McCullers use in telling this story and what tone does she set in accomplishing it?
5. What information does the author provide about events leading up to Miss Amelia's ten-day marriage?
6. Explain the old man's "a tree, a rock, a cloud" system of learning to love.
7. What is Mr. Brook's first clue that Madame Zilensky may have mental issues?
8. What is the setting for "The Ballad of the Sad Cafe?"
9. How have Lymon's feelings for Marvin altered the love triangle of Amelia, Marvin, and Lymon?
10. What stage is the old man in in his system of learning to love?
Prejudice and discrimination against people unlike you is a common thread in McCullers' stories. Cite two examples in this book and explain what you think McCullers was trying to say in each.
Create a brief character study of Cousin Lymon. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him, if anything, at this point in her life?
Select three stories from this collection and explain the significance of their titles. What did the author mean by naming the stories like she did? Cite examples to support your answers.
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)