|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month does the story take place?
2. In this story, McCullers intimates that a certain level of _____________ is part of life.
3. What piece does Frances recall that she and the student in #78 played?
4. To whom does Lymon seem attracted now?
5. What does Marvin do to Lymon to get him to be quiet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is happening to Frances which Mister Bilderbach is completely unaware of?
2. How do the townspeople know that Amelia is in love with Cousin Lymon?
3. Why could Martin's children not eat the meal their mother had prepared for them earlier?
4. How does the end of Marvin and Amelia's marriage foreshadow what will happen to Amelia and Cousin Lymon?
5. How does the relationship between Amelia and Lymon compare to the one between Amelia and Marvin?
6. What are some of the strange situations that Mr. Brook finds at Madame Zilensky's house?
7. Why has Frances begun to dread her piano lessons even though she is technically very competent?
8. How have Lymon's feelings for Marvin altered the love triangle of Amelia, Marvin, and Lymon?
9. What does Mister Bilderbach try to get Frances to play in her lesson to get her enthused again?
10. What is the nature of the altercation between Martin and his wife, Emily?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Marvin Macy. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates her, if anything, at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the motif of life-death-life. Identify at least two motifs about life-death-life in the book. Then cite an example to support each answer.
Essay Topic 3
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)