|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does drinking liquor in Amelia's house signify?
(a) Her housewarming party.
(b) The opening of her cafe.
(c) The end of Prohibition.
(d) Her engagement party.
2. What rude name does Marvin call Cousin Lymon?
3. In this story, McCullers intimates that a certain level of _____________ is part of life.
4. What does Amelia slaughter for a town barbecue?
5. How many years has Lymon been at Amelia's by this time?
Short Answer Questions
1. What literary technique does McCullers use when she addresses the ruined marriage between Amelia and Marvin and the future failed relationship between Amelia and Lymon.
2. How does Amelia behave toward Lymon by this point in time?
3. What literary technique does McCullers use when mentioning Amelia's very brief marriage to Marvin Macy?
4. Amelia and Cousin Lymon are both ____________.
5. How old is the student who is profiled in a magazine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the dilemma the author writes about in the title of the story?
2. Why has Frances begun to dread her piano lessons even though she is technically very competent?
3. Compare and contrast John's life now with the new life Elizabeth has created.
4. What is the main theme in this story?
5. What does Mister Bilderbach try to get Frances to play in her lesson to get her enthused again?
6. Who is Cousin Lymon and how does he enter Amelia's life?
7. Why does Mr. Brook rationalize that Madame Zilensky has created a world of lies?
8. Explain the role of misfits in McCullers' work and how Cousin Lymon and Amelia both fall into that category.
9. How do the wealthy men react to the news that the young injured jockey will never ride again?
10. What stage is the old man in in his system of learning to love?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)