|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Frances?
2. With what is Marvin associated in the story?
3. What does Marvin do to Lymon to get him to be quiet?
(a) Bashes him on the head.
(b) Tells him to sshhhhh.
(c) Slaps him.
(d) Ignores him.
4. What is notable about a man who approaches Amelia's house one day?
(a) He is a hunchback.
(b) He has a peg leg.
(c) He has a stripe of white hair.
(d) His left arm is shorter than the right.
5. What eventually happens to Amelia's cafe?
(a) It is sold as a franchise.
(b) It burns down.
(c) It is boarded up.
(d) It is expanded.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will the man in #12 be called?
2. What has Lymon convinced Amelia to buy for the cafe?
3. What beverage does Miss Amelia offer the men in her home?
4. What magazine does Mister Lafkowitz point out to Frances?
5. What does the author call a meeting of men on Amelia's porch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Brook rationalize that Madame Zilensky has created a world of lies?
2. What unusual event occurs on Marvin and Amelia's wedding night and how does Marvin try to salvage the situation?
3. How can Amelia's life be characterized?
4. How does John connect with his ex-wife, Elizabeth, while in New York?
5. What is the dilemma the author writes about in the title of the story?
6. What is the nature of the cafe in the four years since Cousin Lymon arrived?
7. What is happening to Frances which Mister Bilderbach is completely unaware of?
8. What does Martin Meadows find when he arrives at his home early one Friday afternoon?
9. How do the townspeople know that Amelia is in love with Cousin Lymon?
10. How does Lymon try to ingratiate himself to Marvin?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)