|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what area of the United States does this story take place?
(c) Pacific Northwest.
2. What does Amelia do with the gifts Marvin gives her?
(a) Puts them on display.
(b) Puts them in storage.
(c) Shows them to her friends.
(d) Sells them in her general store.
3. What beverage does Miss Amelia offer the men in her home?
4. What does the cafe seem to provide to people?
(a) A place for socialization.
(b) A place to play cards.
(c) A good meal.
(d) A sense of worth.
5. Who is Mister Lafkowitz?
(c) Piano teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the ways that Amelia tries to get rid of Marvin?
2. Who has Marvin's brother brought with him to Amelia's cafe?
3. What does Marvin do to Lymon to get him to be quiet?
4. In what season of the year does Marvin return to town?
5. What literary technique does McCullers use when mentioning Amelia's very brief marriage to Marvin Macy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare and contrast John's life now with the new life Elizabeth has created.
2. How does much of the story play out in Frances' head?
3. What is the nature of the altercation between Martin and his wife, Emily?
4. Explain the old man's "a tree, a rock, a cloud" system of learning to love.
5. What is Mr. Brook's first clue that Madame Zilensky may have mental issues?
6. How does Lymon try to ingratiate himself to Marvin?
7. How do Bitsy's advancing years and his friend's accident force him to face the reality of his life?
8. How does Cousin Lymon ultimately betray Amelia?
9. What does Mister Bilderbach try to get Frances to play in her lesson to get her enthused again?
10. What is the setting for "The Ballad of the Sad Cafe?"
This section contains 1,187 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)