|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What literary technique does McCullers use to tell this story?
2. What eventually happens to the town?
(a) It maintains a steady growth.
(b) It revitalizes the downtown area.
(c) It decays.
(d) It develops suburbs.
3. Who is Mister Bilderbach?
(d) Piano teacher.
4. In what month does the fight between Amelia and Marvin occur?
5. To whom does Lymon seem attracted now?
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument does the student in the magazine profile play?
2. What is Amelia's demeanor toward the sick child?
3. In what month does the story take place?
4. Both Frances and the student in #78 have been dubbed ________________.
5. What will the man in #12 be called?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Bitsy so bitter about his situation regarding his life compared to the lives of the rich men at the table?
2. What becomes of Amelia after Cousin Lymon and Marvin wreck her cafe and then leave town?
3. Why does Mr. Brook rationalize that Madame Zilensky has created a world of lies?
4. Explain the old man's "a tree, a rock, a cloud" system of learning to love.
5. What unusual event occurs on Marvin and Amelia's wedding night and how does Marvin try to salvage the situation?
6. What causes Martin to feel love and not anger for Emily?
7. Why is John Ferris is a New York hotel and what seems to consume his thoughts?
8. How do Bitsy's advancing years and his friend's accident force him to face the reality of his life?
9. What is happening to Frances which Mister Bilderbach is completely unaware of?
10. How does the end of Marvin and Amelia's marriage foreshadow what will happen to Amelia and Cousin Lymon?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)