|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what month does the fight between Amelia and Marvin occur?
2. What is the state of the largest house in the center of town?
(a) In renovation.
(b) Torn down.
(c) Brand new.
(d) Ready to collapse.
3. What does the author call a meeting of men on Amelia's porch?
(a) A consortium.
(b) Busybody brigade.
(c) An "evil festival".
(d) A lynching.
4. How does Amelia behave toward Lymon by this point in time?
(a) She dotes on him.
(b) She ignores him.
(c) She tolerates him.
(d) She cannot stand him.
5. In what season of the year does Marvin return to town?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years has Lymon been at Amelia's by this time?
2. What is the physical manifestation of Cousin Lymon's outcast status?
3. Who is entranced by Marvin?
4. What does the man who comes to Amelia's house tell her?
5. What is wrong with the sick child brought to see Amelia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Frances know why her piano playing has become lifeless?
2. How does Amelia try to get rid of Marvin?
3. What is Leo's role in the story?
4. What do the men think about Bitsy especially in light of the accident suffered by his good friend?
5. How does much of the story play out in Frances' head?
6. With whom does Frances share the title of "wunderkind" and why does she think she cannot live up to the name?
7. What is the dilemma the author writes about in the title of the story?
8. What does Lymon admit to Amelia is his attraction to Marvin?
9. What is the setting for "The Ballad of the Sad Cafe?"
10. What is the nature of the altercation between Martin and his wife, Emily?
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)