|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What rude name does Marvin call Cousin Lymon?
2. Who accidentally gets the plate of poisoned food when Amelia tries to poison Marvin?
3. For how long do Amelia and Marvin throw punches at each other?
(a) Five minutes.
(b) A half hour.
(c) Two hours.
(d) Fifteen minutes.
4. What does Marvin rub on his body prior to the big fight?
(a) Hog lard.
(b) Baby oil.
(c) Cocoa butter.
5. What is the Harmonious Blacksmith?
(a) A book about the Wild West.
(b) A piece Frances used to love.
(c) A show about careers.
(d) A book about horses.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Miss Amelia's husband?
2. What does Marvin do to Lymon to get him to be quiet?
3. What is happening to Frances that Mr. Bilderbach is unaware of?
4. How does Amelia spend the rest of her life?
5. How many years have passed since the opening of Amelia's cafe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What literary technique does McCullers use in mentioning Amelia's brief marriage to Marvin Macy?
2. What causes Martin to feel love and not anger for Emily?
3. What is the setting of the story and who are the characters introduced?
4. What literary technique does McCullers use in telling this story and what tone does she set in accomplishing it?
5. What information does the author provide about events leading up to Miss Amelia's ten-day marriage?
6. Explain the old man's "a tree, a rock, a cloud" system of learning to love.
7. What is Mr. Brook's first clue that Madame Zilensky may have mental issues?
8. What is the setting for "The Ballad of the Sad Cafe?"
9. How have Lymon's feelings for Marvin altered the love triangle of Amelia, Marvin, and Lymon?
10. What stage is the old man in in his system of learning to love?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)