|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what month does the fight between Amelia and Marvin occur?
2. How old is the student who is profiled in a magazine?
3. What does Marvin do to Lymon to get him to be quiet?
(a) Bashes him on the head.
(b) Slaps him.
(c) Tells him to sshhhhh.
(d) Ignores him.
4. Eventually Lymon has access to Amelia's house, cash register and __________________.
(a) safe deposit box.
(b) keys to everything.
5. Both Frances and the student in #78 have been dubbed ________________.
(b) poor learners.
(c) child geniuses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What eventually happens to the town?
2. With what is Marvin associated in the story?
3. What is Miss Amelia's demeanor?
4. What news about Marvin does Marvin's brother give to Amelia?
5. What does Marvin rub on his body prior to the big fight?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Martin to feel love and not anger for Emily?
2. What is the setting for "The Ballad of the Sad Cafe?"
3. What literary technique does McCullers use in telling this story and what tone does she set in accomplishing it?
4. What is the dilemma the author writes about in the title of the story?
5. How does John connect with his ex-wife, Elizabeth, while in New York?
6. Explain the old man's "a tree, a rock, a cloud" system of learning to love.
7. Explain the role of misfits in McCullers' work and how Cousin Lymon and Amelia both fall into that category.
8. What does Mister Bilderbach try to get Frances to play in her lesson to get her enthused again?
9. What is the nature of the cafe in the four years since Cousin Lymon arrived?
10. What becomes of Amelia after Cousin Lymon and Marvin wreck her cafe and then leave town?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)