|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Frances' piano playing lately has been proficient yet _____________.
2. What is happening to Frances that Mr. Bilderbach is unaware of?
(a) Her parents are divorcing.
(b) She will be moving soon.
(c) She is having a nervous breakdown.
(d) She is in love with a boy in school.
3. What is the weather as the story opens?
(d) Very hot.
4. Who is Marvin Macy's brother?
5. What is a wunderkind?
(a) German priest.
(b) Opera singer.
(c) Child genius.
(d) Cartoon character.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marvin do to Lymon to get him to be quiet?
2. What is Amelia's demeanor toward the sick child?
3. What did critics say about Frances' performance of the piece in #83?
4. How does Amelia feel about Cousin Lymon at the end of the story?
5. Who is Miss Amelia?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Brook finally confront Madame Zilensky and how does he ultimately handle the situation with her?
2. Describe John's visit to Elizabeth's home.
3. What literary technique does McCullers use in mentioning Amelia's brief marriage to Marvin Macy?
4. How does Lymon try to ingratiate himself to Marvin?
5. What details does McCullers provide which would serve to especially infuriate Bitsy about the men?
6. What happens to Marvin after Amelia kicks him out of the house?
7. Explain the role of misfits in McCullers' work and how Cousin Lymon and Amelia both fall into that category.
8. How do Bitsy's advancing years and his friend's accident force him to face the reality of his life?
9. What is happening to Frances which Mister Bilderbach is completely unaware of?
10. What is the nature of the cafe in the four years since Cousin Lymon arrived?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)