|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What will the man in #12 be called?
(a) Cousin Lymon.
(b) Mr. Andrews.
(d) Sir Morton.
2. Frances' piano playing lately has been proficient yet _____________.
3. What is happening to Frances that Mr. Bilderbach is unaware of?
(a) She will be moving soon.
(b) Her parents are divorcing.
(c) She is having a nervous breakdown.
(d) She is in love with a boy in school.
4. What is the busiest night in Amelia's cafe?
5. What literary technique does McCullers use when mentioning Amelia's very brief marriage to Marvin Macy?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what area of the United States does this story take place?
2. For how long do Amelia and Marvin throw punches at each other?
3. Marvin Macy is characterized as ____________.
4. What literary technique does McCullers use when she addresses the ruined marriage between Amelia and Marvin and the future failed relationship between Amelia and Lymon.
5. Who is Marvin Macy's brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lymon try to ingratiate himself to Marvin?
2. What happens when a young boy enters a diner one night?
3. What does John's address book symbolize?
4. What do the men think about Bitsy especially in light of the accident suffered by his good friend?
5. What is happening to Frances which Mister Bilderbach is completely unaware of?
6. Explain the role of misfits in McCullers' work and how Cousin Lymon and Amelia both fall into that category.
7. Explain the old man's "a tree, a rock, a cloud" system of learning to love.
8. What are some of the strange situations that Mr. Brook finds at Madame Zilensky's house?
9. How have Lymon's feelings for Marvin altered the love triangle of Amelia, Marvin, and Lymon?
10. Describe John's visit to Elizabeth's home.
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)