|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is wrong with the sick child brought to see Amelia?
(a) Scarlet Fever.
(b) Chicken Pox.
(d) Boil on his thigh.
2. What is the sole focus of Frances' life?
3. What is Miss Amelia's physical appearance?
(a) Strong and mannish.
(b) Tall and gawky.
(c) Delicate and frail.
(d) Petite and tentative.
4. How old is Frances?
5. How old was Marvin Macy when he married Amelia?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Amelia behave toward Lymon by this point in time?
2. What is the busiest night in Amelia's cafe?
3. Frances' piano playing lately has been proficient yet _____________.
4. What piece does Frances recall that she and the student in #78 played?
5. In what area of the United States does this story take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the dilemma the author writes about in the title of the story?
2. How does the relationship between Amelia and Lymon compare to the one between Amelia and Marvin?
3. What does Martin reason is the cause of Emily's alcoholism?
4. What does the old man tell the boy about the woman he had been married to?
5. What is the main theme in this story?
6. What does John's address book symbolize?
7. With whom does Frances share the title of "wunderkind" and why does she think she cannot live up to the name?
8. What literary technique does McCullers use in mentioning Amelia's brief marriage to Marvin Macy?
9. What is the setting of the story and who are the characters introduced?
10. How does much of the story play out in Frances' head?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)