|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Frances do when Mr. Bilderbach wants her to play?
(a) She leaves the house with no warning.
(b) She breaks down and cries.
(c) She says she needs a break.
(d) She plays brilliantly.
2. To whom does Lymon seem attracted now?
3. What does Amelia do with the gifts Marvin gives her?
(a) Sells them in her general store.
(b) Shows them to her friends.
(c) Puts them on display.
(d) Puts them in storage.
4. Who has Marvin's brother brought with him to Amelia's cafe?
(a) His mother.
(b) His new bride.
(d) A sick child.
5. Why does Lymon say he is mesmerized by Marvin?
(a) Marvin is very intelligent.
(b) Marvin has been to Atlanta and to jail.
(c) Marvin is a compassionate person.
(d) Marvin is very witty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What literary technique does McCullers use when mentioning Amelia's very brief marriage to Marvin Macy?
2. Amelia and Cousin Lymon are both ____________.
3. What is wrong with the sick child brought to see Amelia?
4. How does Amelia behave toward Lymon by this point in time?
5. How old is Frances?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the setting for "The Ballad of the Sad Cafe?"
2. What causes Martin to feel love and not anger for Emily?
3. With whom does Frances share the title of "wunderkind" and why does she think she cannot live up to the name?
4. Does Frances know why her piano playing has become lifeless?
5. What does Martin Meadows find when he arrives at his home early one Friday afternoon?
6. Why could Martin's children not eat the meal their mother had prepared for them earlier?
7. What literary technique does McCullers use in mentioning Amelia's brief marriage to Marvin Macy?
8. How can Amelia's life be characterized?
9. What is the result of the one-sided relationship between Amelia and Cousin Lymon?
10. How does the end of Marvin and Amelia's marriage foreshadow what will happen to Amelia and Cousin Lymon?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)