|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what day do Amelia and Marvin have a big fight?
(a) Groundhog Day.
(d) Christmas Eve.
2. What does the man who comes to Amelia's house tell her?
(a) He is looking for a job.
(b) He wants to write an article about her.
(c) He is in love with her.
(d) He is a distant relative.
3. What does the cafe seem to provide to people?
(a) A sense of worth.
(b) A place for socialization.
(c) A good meal.
(d) A place to play cards.
4. Who has Marvin's brother brought with him to Amelia's cafe?
(a) A sick child.
(c) His new bride.
(d) His mother.
5. Who is Mister Bilderbach?
(c) Piano teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Amelia spend the rest of her life?
2. What does Marvin do to Lymon to get him to be quiet?
3. What is the busiest night in Amelia's cafe?
4. What news about Marvin does Marvin's brother give to Amelia?
5. For how long do Amelia and Marvin throw punches at each other?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can Amelia's life be characterized?
2. What is the main theme in this story?
3. How does much of the story play out in Frances' head?
4. What is the dilemma the author writes about in the title of the story?
5. How does Mr. Brook finally confront Madame Zilensky and how does he ultimately handle the situation with her?
6. What is happening to Frances which Mister Bilderbach is completely unaware of?
7. How does the end of Marvin and Amelia's marriage foreshadow what will happen to Amelia and Cousin Lymon?
8. How do Bitsy's advancing years and his friend's accident force him to face the reality of his life?
9. What does Martin reason is the cause of Emily's alcoholism?
10. How do the townspeople know that Amelia is in love with Cousin Lymon?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)