|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Frances' piano playing lately has been proficient yet _____________.
2. How long did Miss Amelia's only marriage last?
(a) 10 months.
(b) 10 days.
(c) 10 years.
(d) 10 weeks.
3. What is the busiest night in Amelia's cafe?
4. With what is Marvin associated in the story?
5. What eventually happens to Amelia's cafe?
(a) It is boarded up.
(b) It is sold as a franchise.
(c) It burns down.
(d) It is expanded.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how long do Amelia and Marvin throw punches at each other?
2. Why can Lymon get away with so many things with Amelia?
3. What did critics say about Frances' performance of the piece in #83?
4. How many years have passed since the opening of Amelia's cafe?
5. What is an evil omen about Marvin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Brook rationalize that Madame Zilensky has created a world of lies?
2. What is the dilemma the author writes about in the title of the story?
3. What literary technique does McCullers use in telling this story and what tone does she set in accomplishing it?
4. What is happening to Frances which Mister Bilderbach is completely unaware of?
5. What does Lymon admit to Amelia is his attraction to Marvin?
6. How does the end of Marvin and Amelia's marriage foreshadow what will happen to Amelia and Cousin Lymon?
7. Does Frances know why her piano playing has become lifeless?
8. What causes Martin to feel love and not anger for Emily?
9. How do Amelia and Marvin prepare for their big fight?
10. How does the relationship between Amelia and Lymon compare to the one between Amelia and Marvin?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)