|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What eventually happens to the town?
(a) It develops suburbs.
(b) It revitalizes the downtown area.
(c) It maintains a steady growth.
(d) It decays.
2. How does Amelia spend the rest of her life?
(a) As an event planner.
(b) As a hermit.
(c) As a brothel madam.
(d) As a philanthropist.
3. What beverage does Miss Amelia offer the men in her home?
4. Why is Frances' playing so emotionless?
(a) She is distracted.
(b) She has better things to do.
(c) She hates the pieces she has to play.
(d) She is depressed.
5. Frances believes she can never be ___________________.
(a) an opera singer.
(b) a mother.
(c) a great pianist.
(d) a teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. What magazine does Mister Lafkowitz point out to Frances?
2. Who is Mister Bilderbach?
3. What does the author call a meeting of men on Amelia's porch?
4. What is a wunderkind?
5. What is the Harmonious Blacksmith?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mr. Brook's first clue that Madame Zilensky may have mental issues?
2. What is the nature of the altercation between Martin and his wife, Emily?
3. What is the main theme in this story?
4. How do the townspeople know that Amelia is in love with Cousin Lymon?
5. How does Amelia try to get rid of Marvin?
6. How does the end of Marvin and Amelia's marriage foreshadow what will happen to Amelia and Cousin Lymon?
7. With whom does Frances share the title of "wunderkind" and why does she think she cannot live up to the name?
8. What happens when a young boy enters a diner one night?
9. What is Leo's role in the story?
10. How do Amelia and Marvin prepare for their big fight?
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)