|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Amelia feel about Cousin Lymon at the end of the story?
(a) She can take him or leave him.
(b) She loves him.
(c) She is amused by him.
(d) She can't stand him.
2. What do Marvin and Lymon do together?
(a) Build a house.
(b) Take a vacation.
(c) Leave town.
(d) Start a business.
3. For how long do Amelia and Marvin throw punches at each other?
(a) Five minutes.
(b) Fifteen minutes.
(c) Two hours.
(d) A half hour.
4. To where does Amelia retreat after her defeat?
(a) The beauty salon.
(c) Her office.
(d) Her bedroom.
5. What is an evil omen about Marvin?
(a) He has constant hiccups.
(b) He never laughs.
(c) He doesn't sweat.
(d) He cannot cry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the weather as the story opens?
2. What magazine does Mister Lafkowitz point out to Frances?
3. What do the people in town think has happened to the man in #14 when he is not seen the next day?
4. Who jumps onto Amelia when she has Marvin in a defeated pin?
5. What does Frances do when Mr. Bilderbach wants her to play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Martin Meadows find when he arrives at his home early one Friday afternoon?
2. What is the nature of the altercation between Martin and his wife, Emily?
3. What causes Martin to feel love and not anger for Emily?
4. After listening to so many of Madame Zilensky's stories, what finally alerts Mr. Brook that she is a pathological liar?
5. How can Amelia's life be characterized?
6. How does John connect with his ex-wife, Elizabeth, while in New York?
7. What is the dilemma the author writes about in the title of the story?
8. Why could Martin's children not eat the meal their mother had prepared for them earlier?
9. With whom does Frances share the title of "wunderkind" and why does she think she cannot live up to the name?
10. Does Frances know why her piano playing has become lifeless?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)