|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the rich man dip into his water glass?
(a) His napkin.
(b) His tie.
(c) His fork.
(d) His fingers.
2. What has Bitsy just done prior to encountering the three men?
(a) Gone to a funeral.
(b) Ridden a horse in a race.
(c) Visited his mother.
(d) Flown in from Los Angeles.
3. Why does Martin Meadows leave his office early one Friday?
(a) To spend time with his family.
(b) To go to a doctor's appointment.
(c) To pick up a client at the airport.
(d) To go shopping.
4. What dominates Madame Zilensky's life?
5. What is a symbol for the passage of time in Ferris' life?
(a) His birthday cake.
(b) His father's funeral.
(c) His divorce.
(d) His appointment book.
6. Why does Emily get drunk?
(a) She is angry.
(b) She has inherited the disease.
(c) To escape reality.
(d) She is an alcoholic.
7. How old is Ferris on this birthday?
8. Mr. Brook skipped out on a faculty trip to __________.
9. What are Martin's children doing when he arrives home?
(a) Eating lunch.
(c) Playing in the sandbox.
(d) Trying to put up Christmas decorations.
10. Where is John Ferris' current home?
11. What is a quirky habit that Mr. Brook notices about Madame Zilensky's children?
(a) They never speak.
(b) They eat with their eyes closed.
(c) They always walk in single-file.
(d) They never wear shoes.
12. How does Martin feel about the state of his family?
13. Why can Bitsy not partake in the sumptuous meal?
(a) He was not invited.
(b) He has another obligation.
(c) He must stay very thin.
(d) He has already had dinner.
14. What is the only item Madame Zilensky bemoan not having when their luggage is lost?
(a) A hat box.
(b) A makeup case.
(c) A Bible.
(d) A metronome.
15. What is the central theme in this story?
(a) Regret and loss.
(b) Man vs. nature.
(c) The search for love.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Martin do when Emily sobs at the table?
2. What does Mr. Brook do about Madame Zilensky's lies?
3. Why has Ferris visited the state in #129?
4. How does the author characterize Mr. Brook?
5. What is Madame Zilensky's character flaw?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)