|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men note about Bitsy's appearance?
(a) He is very pale.
(b) He has lost weight.
(c) He is exhausted.
(d) He is gaining weight.
2. Where does Ferris agree to meet his ex-wife?
(a) A bar.
(b) A museum.
(c) Her apartment.
(d) A cafe.
3. What unusual item does Bitsy place in his mouth at the table?
(a) A rose petal.
(b) A napkin.
(c) A pack of matches.
(d) A cigarette butt.
4. What is a libertine?
(a) A Democrat.
(b) A philanthropist.
(c) A criminal.
(d) A person without morals.
5. What is unusual about Madame Zilensky mentioning the King of Finland?
(a) Finland does not have a king.
(b) The king is in exile.
(c) The king is dead.
(d) The king is a young boy.
6. What is the central theme in this story?
(b) Regret and loss.
(c) The search for love.
(d) Man vs. nature.
7. Why can Bitsy not partake in the sumptuous meal?
(a) He must stay very thin.
(b) He was not invited.
(c) He has already had dinner.
(d) He has another obligation.
8. Who is Martin's daughter?
9. Who does Ferris call from his hotel room?
(a) His mother.
(b) His father.
(c) His daughter.
(d) His ex-wife.
10. Why does Emily get drunk?
(a) To escape reality.
(b) She is angry.
(c) She has inherited the disease.
(d) She is an alcoholic.
11. How is Bitsy dressed in the story?
(b) In uniform.
12. With what college is Mr. Brook associated?
(b) Ryder College.
13. Why will Bitsy's young jockey friend never ride a horse in a race again?
(a) One leg is shorter than the other.
(b) He broke his pelvis.
(c) He has entered a different career.
(d) He has retired.
14. What does Bitsy call the men before stomping away?
15. What is the only item Madame Zilensky bemoan not having when their luggage is lost?
(a) A makeup case.
(b) A Bible.
(c) A metronome.
(d) A hat box.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Bitsy's good friend six months ago?
2. What musical instrument does Elizabeth play?
3. In what city does Ferris' ex-wife live?
4. As the story opens, John Ferris is in a hotel room in what city?
5. What dominates Madame Zilensky's life?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)