|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Harmonious Blacksmith?
(a) A book about the Wild West.
(b) A book about horses.
(c) A show about careers.
(d) A piece Frances used to love.
2. Why does Amelia not say anything to Lymon about giving so many privileges to Marvin?
(a) She is waiting for the right time to kick them out.
(b) She doesn't want to make a scene.
(c) She is secretly in love with Marvin.
(d) She is afraid of living alone again.
3. What magazine does Mister Lafkowitz point out to Frances?
(b) Ladies Home Journal.
(d) Musical Courier.
4. Frances' piano playing lately has been proficient yet _____________.
5. What does Amelia do with the gifts Marvin gives her?
(a) Puts them on display.
(b) Puts them in storage.
(c) Sells them in her general store.
(d) Shows them to her friends.
6. What literary technique does McCullers use to tell this story?
7. What do the people in town soon come to realize about the man in #12?
(a) He is a convicted felon.
(b) He is an ex-priest.
(c) He is "the life of the party".
(d) He is a traveling salesman.
8. What is happening to Frances that Mr. Bilderbach is unaware of?
(a) She is in love with a boy in school.
(b) Her parents are divorcing.
(c) She is having a nervous breakdown.
(d) She will be moving soon.
9. How does Amelia spend the rest of her life?
(a) As a brothel madam.
(b) As a hermit.
(c) As an event planner.
(d) As a philanthropist.
10. How does Cousin Lymon try to make Marvin laugh?
(a) He does impersonations.
(b) He turns cartwheels.
(c) He tells jokes.
(d) He wiggles his ears.
11. What did critics say about Frances' performance of the piece in #83?
(a) It was virtuoso level.
(b) It was inspired.
(c) It lacked emotion.
(d) It was brilliant.
12. To whom does Lymon seem attracted now?
13. Who wrecks Amelia's cafe?
(a) A local gang.
(b) A group of vandals.
(c) Marvin and Lymon.
(d) Sam and Eddie.
14. In what area of the United States does this story take place?
(c) Pacific Northwest.
15. In this story, McCullers intimates that a certain level of _____________ is part of life.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Amelia behave toward Lymon by this point in time?
2. What happens to Amelia after the activity in #66?
3. How old was Marvin Macy when he married Amelia?
4. Both Frances and the student in #78 have been dubbed ________________.
5. Who is the student who is profiled in a magazine?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)