|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the busiest night in Amelia's cafe?
2. What literary technique does McCullers use to tell this story?
3. Who is Mister Lafkowitz?
(c) Piano teacher.
4. Who is entranced by Marvin?
(d) Cousin Lymon.
5. Eventually Lymon has access to Amelia's house, cash register and __________________.
(a) keys to everything.
(b) safe deposit box.
6. What magazine does Mister Lafkowitz point out to Frances?
(c) Ladies Home Journal.
(d) Musical Courier.
7. In what month does the fight between Amelia and Marvin occur?
8. Amelia takes Lymon to picture shows and ______________.
(a) dog races.
(c) football games.
(d) horse races.
9. Why does Amelia not say anything to Lymon about giving so many privileges to Marvin?
(a) She is waiting for the right time to kick them out.
(b) She is afraid of living alone again.
(c) She is secretly in love with Marvin.
(d) She doesn't want to make a scene.
10. What is wrong with the sick child brought to see Amelia?
(a) Scarlet Fever.
(c) Boil on his thigh.
(d) Chicken Pox.
11. What does Marvin do to Lymon to get him to be quiet?
(a) Ignores him.
(b) Tells him to sshhhhh.
(c) Bashes him on the head.
(d) Slaps him.
12. What do the people in town soon come to realize about the man in #12?
(a) He is a traveling salesman.
(b) He is a convicted felon.
(c) He is an ex-priest.
(d) He is "the life of the party".
13. What do Marvin and Lymon do together?
(a) Start a business.
(b) Leave town.
(c) Build a house.
(d) Take a vacation.
14. In this story, McCullers intimates that a certain level of _____________ is part of life.
15. What is Miss Amelia's physical appearance?
(a) Strong and mannish.
(b) Petite and tentative.
(c) Tall and gawky.
(d) Delicate and frail.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Marvin Macy's brother?
2. To whom does Lymon seem attracted now?
3. What do the people in town think has happened to the man in #14 when he is not seen the next day?
4. Who jumps onto Amelia when she has Marvin in a defeated pin?
5. What is the Harmonious Blacksmith?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)