|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Amelia behave toward Lymon by this point in time?
(a) She dotes on him.
(b) She tolerates him.
(c) She cannot stand him.
(d) She ignores him.
2. How does Amelia feel about Cousin Lymon at the end of the story?
(a) She loves him.
(b) She can't stand him.
(c) She is amused by him.
(d) She can take him or leave him.
3. Frances' piano playing lately has been proficient yet _____________.
4. What is a wunderkind?
(a) Cartoon character.
(b) German priest.
(c) Opera singer.
(d) Child genius.
5. What is Miss Amelia's demeanor?
6. What beverage does Miss Amelia offer the men in her home?
7. How old is Frances?
8. What does Marvin do to Lymon to get him to be quiet?
(a) Ignores him.
(b) Tells him to sshhhhh.
(c) Bashes him on the head.
(d) Slaps him.
9. Who is the student who is profiled in a magazine?
10. In this story, McCullers intimates that a certain level of _____________ is part of life.
11. What piece does Frances recall that she and the student in #78 played?
(a) Opus #5.
(b) Ode to Joy.
(d) Moonlight Sonata.
12. What is wrong with the sick child brought to see Amelia?
(a) Boil on his thigh.
(b) Chicken Pox.
(c) Scarlet Fever.
13. What news about Marvin does Marvin's brother give to Amelia?
(a) Marvin has a terminal illness.
(b) Marvin is out of jail.
(c) Marvin has died.
(d) Marvin has remarried.
14. Why can Lymon get away with so many things with Amelia?
(a) He is a pathological liar.
(b) He does not love Amelia like she loves him.
(c) He has blackmailed Amelia.
(d) He is a sociopath.
15. Amelia takes Lymon to picture shows and ______________.
(a) horse races.
(b) football games.
(c) dog races.
Short Answer Questions
1. What literary technique does McCullers use to tell this story?
2. To where does Amelia retreat after her defeat?
3. What did critics say about Frances' performance of the piece in #83?
4. What do the people in town soon come to realize about the man in #12?
5. On what day do Amelia and Marvin have a big fight?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)