|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who accidentally gets the plate of poisoned food when Amelia tries to poison Marvin?
2. What does Lymon give Marvin permission to do one day?
(a) Drive his car.
(b) Move into the house.
(c) Run the cafe.
(d) Re-marry Amelia.
3. What is the weather as the story opens?
(a) Very hot.
4. What literary technique does McCullers use when mentioning Amelia's very brief marriage to Marvin Macy?
5. What does Marvin do to Lymon to get him to be quiet?
(a) Bashes him on the head.
(b) Slaps him.
(c) Tells him to sshhhhh.
(d) Ignores him.
6. What is the sole focus of Frances' life?
7. What rude name does Marvin call Cousin Lymon?
8. What does Amelia do with the gifts Marvin gives her?
(a) Shows them to her friends.
(b) Puts them in storage.
(c) Puts them on display.
(d) Sells them in her general store.
9. How many years has Lymon been at Amelia's by this time?
10. What is happening to Frances that Mr. Bilderbach is unaware of?
(a) She will be moving soon.
(b) Her parents are divorcing.
(c) She is in love with a boy in school.
(d) She is having a nervous breakdown.
11. How does Amelia feel about Cousin Lymon at the end of the story?
(a) She loves him.
(b) She is amused by him.
(c) She can take him or leave him.
(d) She can't stand him.
12. What has Lymon convinced Amelia to buy for the cafe?
(a) A jukebox.
(b) A big screen TV.
(c) An espresso machine.
(d) A mechanical piano.
13. What is a wunderkind?
(a) Child genius.
(b) Opera singer.
(c) Cartoon character.
(d) German priest.
14. What does the author call a meeting of men on Amelia's porch?
(a) A consortium.
(b) A lynching.
(c) Busybody brigade.
(d) An "evil festival".
15. What instrument does the student in the magazine profile play?
Short Answer Questions
1. What piece does Frances recall that she and the student in #78 played?
2. Who is Mister Lafkowitz?
3. What does the man who comes to Amelia's house tell her?
4. Why does Lymon say he is mesmerized by Marvin?
5. What role does Amelia enjoy playing in the community?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)