|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did Miss Amelia's only marriage last?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 10 weeks.
(c) 10 months.
(d) 10 days.
2. Who is Mister Lafkowitz?
(d) Piano teacher.
3. Frances' piano playing lately has been proficient yet _____________.
4. What does Frances do when Mr. Bilderbach wants her to play?
(a) She leaves the house with no warning.
(b) She says she needs a break.
(c) She breaks down and cries.
(d) She plays brilliantly.
5. What has Lymon convinced Amelia to buy for the cafe?
(a) An espresso machine.
(b) A mechanical piano.
(c) A jukebox.
(d) A big screen TV.
6. How many years have passed since the opening of Amelia's cafe?
7. In what area of the United States does this story take place?
(d) Pacific Northwest.
8. What is wrong with the sick child brought to see Amelia?
(a) Boil on his thigh.
(c) Chicken Pox.
(d) Scarlet Fever.
9. What instrument does the student in the magazine profile play?
10. Who jumps onto Amelia when she has Marvin in a defeated pin?
11. Marvin Macy is characterized as ____________.
(a) an evil man.
(b) a jolly man.
(c) a rambling man.
(d) a holy man.
12. What is the busiest night in Amelia's cafe?
13. What piece does Frances recall that she and the student in #78 played?
(b) Opus #5.
(c) Moonlight Sonata.
(d) Ode to Joy.
14. What is Miss Amelia's physical appearance?
(a) Delicate and frail.
(b) Strong and mannish.
(c) Tall and gawky.
(d) Petite and tentative.
15. What literary technique does McCullers use to tell this story?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who accidentally gets the plate of poisoned food when Amelia tries to poison Marvin?
2. What will the man in #12 be called?
3. Who is entranced by Marvin?
4. In this story, McCullers intimates that a certain level of _____________ is part of life.
5. Frances believes she can never be ___________________.
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)