|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what is Marvin associated in the story?
2. In this story, McCullers intimates that a certain level of _____________ is part of life.
3. What does Amelia do with the gifts Marvin gives her?
(a) Shows them to her friends.
(b) Puts them on display.
(c) Puts them in storage.
(d) Sells them in her general store.
4. Who jumps onto Amelia when she has Marvin in a defeated pin?
5. What is the busiest night in Amelia's cafe?
6. How old is the student who is profiled in a magazine?
7. What literary technique does McCullers use when mentioning Amelia's very brief marriage to Marvin Macy?
8. Who is entranced by Marvin?
(d) Cousin Lymon.
9. Why is Frances' playing so emotionless?
(a) She is distracted.
(b) She is depressed.
(c) She has better things to do.
(d) She hates the pieces she has to play.
10. The boxing match between Amelia and Marvin transitions into __________________.
(a) a wrestling match.
(b) a brawl.
(c) a murder.
(d) a free-for-all.
11. How does Amelia feel about Cousin Lymon at the end of the story?
(a) She can take him or leave him.
(b) She loves him.
(c) She can't stand him.
(d) She is amused by him.
12. In what month does the fight between Amelia and Marvin occur?
13. In what month does the story take place?
14. What does Frances do when Mr. Bilderbach wants her to play?
(a) She breaks down and cries.
(b) She leaves the house with no warning.
(c) She says she needs a break.
(d) She plays brilliantly.
15. What do the people in town soon come to realize about the man in #12?
(a) He is an ex-priest.
(b) He is a traveling salesman.
(c) He is "the life of the party".
(d) He is a convicted felon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Amelia takes Lymon to picture shows and ______________.
2. Why can Lymon get away with so many things with Amelia?
3. Eventually Lymon has access to Amelia's house, cash register and __________________.
4. How many years has Lymon been at Amelia's by this time?
5. What is a wunderkind?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)