|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marvin rub on his body prior to the big fight?
(b) Cocoa butter.
(c) Baby oil.
(d) Hog lard.
2. How old is Frances?
3. The boxing match between Amelia and Marvin transitions into __________________.
(a) a brawl.
(b) a murder.
(c) a free-for-all.
(d) a wrestling match.
4. Who is Miss Amelia?
(a) A school secretary.
(b) A dance hall girl.
(c) The occupant of the largest house in town.
(d) A schoolteacher.
5. Frances believes she can never be ___________________.
(a) a teacher.
(b) a mother.
(c) an opera singer.
(d) a great pianist.
6. What do the people in town soon come to realize about the man in #12?
(a) He is an ex-priest.
(b) He is "the life of the party".
(c) He is a traveling salesman.
(d) He is a convicted felon.
7. What does the cafe seem to provide to people?
(a) A sense of worth.
(b) A good meal.
(c) A place for socialization.
(d) A place to play cards.
8. Marvin Macy is characterized as ____________.
(a) a holy man.
(b) a jolly man.
(c) a rambling man.
(d) an evil man.
9. Frances' piano playing lately has been proficient yet _____________.
10. Eventually Lymon has access to Amelia's house, cash register and __________________.
(a) safe deposit box.
(b) keys to everything.
11. With what is Marvin associated in the story?
12. What does Lymon give Marvin permission to do one day?
(a) Re-marry Amelia.
(b) Move into the house.
(c) Run the cafe.
(d) Drive his car.
13. What does Amelia do with the gifts Marvin gives her?
(a) Shows them to her friends.
(b) Puts them in storage.
(c) Sells them in her general store.
(d) Puts them on display.
14. How old was Marvin Macy when he married Amelia?
15. How does Cousin Lymon try to make Marvin laugh?
(a) He turns cartwheels.
(b) He wiggles his ears.
(c) He tells jokes.
(d) He does impersonations.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Miss Amelia's only marriage last?
2. What does the author call a meeting of men on Amelia's porch?
3. How old is the student who is profiled in a magazine?
4. Who has Marvin's brother brought with him to Amelia's cafe?
5. Why can Lymon get away with so many things with Amelia?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)