|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Frances believes she can never be ___________________.
(a) a teacher.
(b) a great pianist.
(c) an opera singer.
(d) a mother.
2. What does drinking liquor in Amelia's house signify?
(a) The opening of her cafe.
(b) Her housewarming party.
(c) The end of Prohibition.
(d) Her engagement party.
3. What role does Amelia enjoy playing in the community?
(c) Country doctor.
4. What does Lymon give Marvin permission to do one day?
(a) Drive his car.
(b) Run the cafe.
(c) Re-marry Amelia.
(d) Move into the house.
5. With what is Marvin associated in the story?
6. What magazine does Mister Lafkowitz point out to Frances?
(b) Ladies Home Journal.
(c) Musical Courier.
7. What news about Marvin does Marvin's brother give to Amelia?
(a) Marvin has a terminal illness.
(b) Marvin has died.
(c) Marvin is out of jail.
(d) Marvin has remarried.
8. What literary technique does McCullers use to tell this story?
9. What does the man who comes to Amelia's house tell her?
(a) He is in love with her.
(b) He is looking for a job.
(c) He wants to write an article about her.
(d) He is a distant relative.
10. What beverage does Miss Amelia offer the men in her home?
11. What is wrong with the sick child brought to see Amelia?
(a) Boil on his thigh.
(c) Scarlet Fever.
(d) Chicken Pox.
12. In this story, McCullers intimates that a certain level of _____________ is part of life.
13. How old is Frances?
14. The boxing match between Amelia and Marvin transitions into __________________.
(a) a wrestling match.
(b) a brawl.
(c) a murder.
(d) a free-for-all.
15. What is happening to Frances that Mr. Bilderbach is unaware of?
(a) She is having a nervous breakdown.
(b) Her parents are divorcing.
(c) She is in love with a boy in school.
(d) She will be moving soon.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month does the fight between Amelia and Marvin occur?
2. What is Amelia's demeanor toward the sick child?
3. How many years has Lymon been at Amelia's by this time?
4. What is the weather as the story opens?
5. In what month does the story take place?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)