|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is an evil omen about Marvin?
(a) He has constant hiccups.
(b) He doesn't sweat.
(c) He never laughs.
(d) He cannot cry.
2. What literary technique does McCullers use when she addresses the ruined marriage between Amelia and Marvin and the future failed relationship between Amelia and Lymon.
3. What is Miss Amelia's demeanor?
4. How old was Marvin Macy when he married Amelia?
5. What role does Amelia enjoy playing in the community?
(a) Country doctor.
6. In what month does the fight between Amelia and Marvin occur?
7. To where does Amelia retreat after her defeat?
(a) Her office.
(b) The beauty salon.
(d) Her bedroom.
8. What is the busiest night in Amelia's cafe?
9. What is the Harmonious Blacksmith?
(a) A book about the Wild West.
(b) A book about horses.
(c) A show about careers.
(d) A piece Frances used to love.
10. What rude name does Marvin call Cousin Lymon?
11. What does Marvin rub on his body prior to the big fight?
(a) Hog lard.
(b) Baby oil.
(d) Cocoa butter.
12. Who jumps onto Amelia when she has Marvin in a defeated pin?
13. Eventually Lymon has access to Amelia's house, cash register and __________________.
(b) keys to everything.
(d) safe deposit box.
14. What does Amelia do with the gifts Marvin gives her?
(a) Puts them in storage.
(b) Sells them in her general store.
(c) Shows them to her friends.
(d) Puts them on display.
15. How old is Frances?
Short Answer Questions
1. In this story, McCullers intimates that a certain level of _____________ is part of life.
2. What do the people in town think has happened to the man in #14 when he is not seen the next day?
3. Why is Frances' playing so emotionless?
4. What is one of the ways that Amelia tries to get rid of Marvin?
5. What is Amelia's demeanor toward the sick child?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)