Short Essay Questions
1. What is the setting for "The Ballad of the Sad Cafe?"
2. What does the author reveal about Miss Amelia's character and personality?
3. How can Amelia's life be characterized?
4. Who is Cousin Lymon and how does he enter Amelia's life?
5. Why do the men in town get riled up on the day after Cousin Lymon's arrival and what are their plans?
6. What literary technique does McCullers use in telling this story and what tone does she set in accomplishing it?
7. What literary technique does McCullers use in mentioning Amelia's brief marriage to Marvin Macy?
8. Explain the role of misfits in McCullers' work and how Cousin Lymon and Amelia both fall into that category.
9. What is the nature of the cafe in the four years since Cousin Lymon arrived?
10. How do the townspeople know that Amelia is in love with Cousin Lymon?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)