|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Ballad of the Sad Cafe, pages 23 - 48.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What literary technique does McCullers use when she addresses the ruined marriage between Amelia and Marvin and the future failed relationship between Amelia and Lymon.
2. How does Amelia feel about Cousin Lymon at the end of the story?
(a) She can take him or leave him.
(b) She can't stand him.
(c) She is amused by him.
(d) She loves him.
3. What does the cafe seem to provide to people?
(a) A place for socialization.
(b) A place to play cards.
(c) A good meal.
(d) A sense of worth.
4. What is an evil omen about Marvin?
(a) He has constant hiccups.
(b) He doesn't sweat.
(c) He never laughs.
(d) He cannot cry.
5. What news about Marvin does Marvin's brother give to Amelia?
(a) Marvin has remarried.
(b) Marvin is out of jail.
(c) Marvin has a terminal illness.
(d) Marvin has died.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Amelia's demeanor toward the sick child?
2. What do the people in town think has happened to the man in #14 when he is not seen the next day?
3. In what area of the United States does this story take place?
4. Where does Marvin serve time for committing crimes?
5. Amelia takes Lymon to picture shows and ______________.
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)