Ballad of the Sad Cafe, pages 1 - 23
1. In what area of the United States does this story take place?
(a) Pacific Northwest.
2. In what month does the story take place?
3. What is the weather as the story opens?
(b) Very hot.
4. What is the state of the largest house in the center of town?
(a) Brand new.
(b) Ready to collapse.
(c) In renovation.
(d) Torn down.
5. Who is Miss Amelia?
(a) The occupant of the largest house in town.
(b) A schoolteacher.
(c) A dance hall girl.
(d) A school secretary.
6. What business does Amelia run from her house?
(b) Child Care Center.
(c) Beauty Salon.
(d) General Store.
7. For what is Miss Amelia noted for making?
8. What is Miss Amelia's physical appearance?
(a) Delicate and frail.
(b) Strong and mannish.
(c) Petite and tentative.
(d) Tall and gawky.
9. What is Miss Amelia's demeanor?
10. How long did Miss Amelia's only marriage last?
(a) 10 months.
(b) 10 weeks.
(c) 10 years.
(d) 10 days.
This section contains 3,347 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)