Ballad of the Sad Cafe, pages 1 - 23
• The setting is a small Southern town on an August afternoon.
• The largest house in the center of town is boarded up and ready to collapse. Occasionally its owner, Miss Amelia, can be seen in an upstairs window.
• The story flashes back to relate that Amelia had inherited the house from her father and she operates it as a general store where she also makes excellent liquor.
• Amelia is very masculine-looking with a gruff demeanor.
• Amelia is wealthy due to shrewd real estate deals.
• Amelia was once married to a man named Marvin Macy for only ten days.
• One day a hunchbacked man arrives at Amelia's home saying they are related in a distant manner.
• Amelia invites the man into her home, comforting him, and calling him Cousin Lymon.
• The next day, Amelia does not open her store and the hunchback...
This section contains 2,662 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)