|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What form of entertainment does Frank engage in before he heads back to the motel?
2. Where does Frank decide to go after he wakes up finding the black sand in his hand?
3. What are Frank's last thoughts of as he falls asleep in the car?
4. How does Bobby know there will be trouble?
5. What does Frank seem to be most concerned about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Frank feel in Chapter eleven and what doe she do because of this feeling?
2. What does Thomas do after he is knocked down to the floor?
3. What do the police find while searching for Rasmussen?
4. What does Julie say to Rasmussen when she gets the chance to interview him?
5. What did Thomas try to tell Julie when she visited him and how did this work for him?
6. Describe Bobby and Julie's living situation and why it is this way.
7. What leads Bobby to tell Julie about his fears and how does she respond?
8. How does Bobby's dream about Julie change from the start where it is the ideal life in their new home?
9. What insights does Julie have about her brother and what does she think will make him happy?
10. What is Candy appalled to learn from Violet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Doc Fogarty. In what ways is this character in line with the traditional image of a doctor? In what ways does he contradict the traditional image of a doctor?
Essay Topic 2
How does the author represent the idea of working to achieve a dream in this novel? Do you think this is an accurate representation? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How is the theme of greed portrayed throughout the novel? Which characters were affected by their greed? Do you think this was a realistic portrayal? Why or why not?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)