|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Candy ask Violet about when he returns from being outside?
2. What do Bobby and Julie want to do while they are still young?
3. What did Frankie do that bothers Violet?
4. What is Bobby Dakota doing as he sits in his van?
5. What seems to knock Thomas to the floor when he opens the window?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Frank try to rationalize his inability to sleep and then what does he eventually admit is the true reason for this inability?
2. What does Julie see when she drives toward Bobby and what does she do?
3. After Bobby and Julie make love, what sudden feeling does Bobby get and how does he respond to this feeling?
4. What leads Bobby to tell Julie about his fears and how does she respond?
5. What does Frank find as he searches his own pockets and unzips the bag?
6. What happens when Frank opens up the door to the abandoned car he finds and what does this cause to happen?
7. How is Bobby feeling about his wife and how does he handle these feelings?
8. Describe Bobby and Julie's living situation and why it is this way.
9. Why does Frank want to leave the alleyway?
10. Describe both of Candy's sisters.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which characters in the novel were portrayed as victims? Do you agree with this portrayal? Which characters do you believe were truly not victims and made their own decisions? On what do you base this assertion?
Essay Topic 2
How does the author represent the idea of working to achieve a dream in this novel? Do you think this is an accurate representation? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How did the author portray power in the novel? Do you feel this was an accurate representation? Was power necessary for success? Why or why not?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)