|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Violet thinking of inventing a machine to do while they are on the beach?
2. Where does Mr. Poe tell the children they can contact him?
3. On the notes that Count Olaf leaves the children what does he put at the bottom instead of his name?
4. What do the children have to play with?
5. Who knocks on the front door while Violet and Klaus are trying to figure out what to have for dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the mood of the Baudelaire children in the beginning of Chapter 2 after they have learned of their parents' deaths.
2. In Chapter 3 what is explained by the narrator when Klaus says he hopes the person knocking on the door is someone to visit them?
3. What does a normal day entail for the children at Count Olaf's house as described early on in Chapter 3?
4. What does Violet mean when she says that Mr. Poe was like the executioner in Chapter 1?
5. What is the response of Violet and Klaus when they are told they will be leaving the Poe household?
6. What do Count's guests say when they find that Count is disciplining the children?
7. What does Violet give as the reason she should not participate in the Marvelous Marriage?
8. What is Violet doing while she is standing on the beach in Chapter 1?
9. What events do the children remember while talking about Violet burning the toast in Chapter 3?
10. What is the children's response in Chapter 1 when they hear that their parents have just died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
List several of Count Olaf's acting troupe followers that the children mention throughout their stay. What is the purpose of these characters remaining nameless? If you had to name the characters what would they be named?
Essay Topic 2
The Poe children are quite upset at sharing their room with the Baudelaire orphans. Is their reaction to having the Baudelaire children understandable? Realistic?
What does it say about the Poe children that they treat the Baudelaire's in such a manner? What does it say about the Poe parents?
Essay Topic 3
Violet and Klaus both seem to want to protect each other. Which seems to be more of the leader of the children? Explain your answer. Which do you think would be the better leader? Why?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)