|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the story begins where are the Baudelaire children?
2. What does Klaus tell Mr. Poe that Count Olaf is?
3. What do the children think the pot of bubbling sauce looks like after they have been so frightened by Count Olaf and his friends?
4. What does Sunny sleep on at Count Olaf's?
5. What does Violet suggest she can do to help with Count Olaf's play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the children's response to Count Olaf when they first meet?
2. What is the children's response in Chapter 1 when they hear that their parents have just died?
3. In Chapter 3 what is explained by the narrator when Klaus says he hopes the person knocking on the door is someone to visit them?
4. Explain the mood of the Baudelaire children in the beginning of Chapter 2 after they have learned of their parents' deaths.
5. Describe the people that come into Count Olaf's house to have dinner.
6. In Chapter 6 what is the children's response to the breakfast that Count Olaf makes?
7. In Chapter 3 after Klaus and Violet think about their parents what does Klaus suddenly begin yelling?
8. What do Count's guests say when they find that Count is disciplining the children?
9. At the beginning of Chapter 5 what are the children's moods when they wake up the next morning?
10. What events do the children remember while talking about Violet burning the toast in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Poe says he cannot leave the Baudelaire children with Justice Strauss because she is not a relative.
1) Is Mr. Poe right to refuse the children's home with Justice Strauss? Explain.
2) Is a person's will so sacred that it should be followed at the expense of those living? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The Poe children are quite upset at sharing their room with the Baudelaire orphans. Is their reaction to having the Baudelaire children understandable? Realistic?
What does it say about the Poe children that they treat the Baudelaire's in such a manner? What does it say about the Poe parents?
Essay Topic 3
Violet and Klaus both seem to want to protect each other. Which seems to be more of the leader of the children? Explain your answer. Which do you think would be the better leader? Why?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)