|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Klaus say he wished he knew more about and wants to get a book on?
2. Who do the children see coming towards them?
3. What does Klaus say that they must go and look for soon?
4. What does Olaf say he is doing when the theater troupe arrives?
5. What do the children see on the wall when they step into Count Olaf's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Poe tell the children when they say that Count Olaf is a terrible guardian and explain Count Olaf's behavior in Chapter 5?
2. What is Violet's initial response to playing Count Olaf's bride in Chapter 6?
3. How does Count Olaf's house look when the children first see it?
4. Describe the Baudelaire children's response when they first meet Justice Strauss.
5. How does Mr. Poe treat the children while they are trying to talk to him in Chapter 5?
6. What does Violet mean when she says that Mr. Poe was like the executioner in Chapter 1?
7. What is the response of Violet and Klaus when they are told they will be leaving the Poe household?
8. In Chapter 3 what is explained by the narrator when Klaus says he hopes the person knocking on the door is someone to visit them?
9. What is Count Olaf's reaction upon learning they are not having roast beef?
10. What is the children's response in Chapter 1 when they hear that their parents have just died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Poe children are quite upset at sharing their room with the Baudelaire orphans. Is their reaction to having the Baudelaire children understandable? Realistic?
What does it say about the Poe children that they treat the Baudelaire's in such a manner? What does it say about the Poe parents?
Essay Topic 2
Violet and Klaus both seem to want to protect each other. Which seems to be more of the leader of the children? Explain your answer. Which do you think would be the better leader? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Take a closer look at Justice Strauss.
1) Why did she take to the children so quickly? Why did she offer to come let them live with her?
2) Why did the children not try to tell her about how they were being treated? Would she have believed them?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)