|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Count Olaf blame his past 'standoffish' behavior on?
2. Why does Mr. Poe explain the children will be going to live with Count Olaf?
3. What does Sunny enjoy doing?
4. What does Violet wish that she had bought at the market to put in Olaf's food?
5. What does Klaus say he would like to buy if he could use the family money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Violet's first thought when she sees the figure walking towards them in Chapter 1?
2. How does Count Olaf describe the play, The Marvelous Marriage, to the children?
3. What is the children's response to Count Olaf when they first meet?
4. What is Edgar and Albert's response when Mr. Poe tells the Baudelaire children that they are leaving the next day?
5. What does Violet mean when she says that Mr. Poe was like the executioner in Chapter 1?
6. Describe the children's sleeping conditions at Count Olaf's home.
7. Describe the Baudelaire children's response when they first meet Justice Strauss.
8. What does the bald man do before he joins Olaf and the others in the dinning room?
9. What is the children's response in Chapter 1 when they hear that their parents have just died?
10. What does Mr. Poe tell the children when they say that Count Olaf is a terrible guardian and explain Count Olaf's behavior in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is the symbol of an eye chosen to be used in Count Olaf's house and on his ankle? What does this image convey to the children? To the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the feeling that the children have once they are put into Count Olaf's home. How is this reflected in the room they are forced to share? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
List several of Count Olaf's acting troupe followers that the children mention throughout their stay. What is the purpose of these characters remaining nameless? If you had to name the characters what would they be named?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)