|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mr. Poe tell the children they can contact him?
2. What does Klaus say that they must go and look for soon?
3. What is the only decoration in the children's room?
4. What does Mr. Poe's son complain about in relation to Sunny?
5. What does Justice Strauss do that immediately puts Violet at ease?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene at the end of the book where the Baudelaire children are leaving with Mr. Poe.
2. What is the children's response in Chapter 1 when they hear that their parents have just died?
3. While Violet and Klaus are trying to think of a way to get out of the tower in Chapter 11 what things do they discuss but don't offer any help?
4. What is Count Olaf's reaction upon learning they are not having roast beef?
5. What is Justice Strauss' response when Violet and Klaus ask her if she is excited about being in Olaf's play in Chapter 7?
6. Describe the scene seen by the children at the beginning of Chapter 12 while they are standing back stage of the play.
7. What does Mr. Poe explain will happen to the children now that their parents are dead?
8. Describe what makes Violet's plan risky and dangerous.
9. How is the tower described in Chapter 11?
10. Describe the scene in Chapter 8 where Klaus goes to wake up Violet and explain Olaf's plan.
Essay Topic 1
The children are trying to think up ways out of the tower and come up with several odd possibilities but nothing that will work.
1) What does it say about the children and their knowledge that they are able to come up with Molotov cocktails and polygamy?
2) What would you have done if you were in their position?
Essay Topic 2
List several of Count Olaf's acting troupe followers that the children mention throughout their stay. What is the purpose of these characters remaining nameless? If you had to name the characters what would they be named?
Essay Topic 3
Sunny is an infant and although her presence causes many actions and reactions she doesn't have a very large role in the story.
1) Describe Sunny's personality.
2) How would the story have changed if there had been no Sunny?
3) How would the story have changed if Sunny had been much older?
This section contains 1,820 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)