Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Mr. Poe say the children have to wait to be able to use their family's money?
2. What does the theater troupe do when they are ready to have dinner?
3. What do the children see on the wall when they step into Count Olaf's house?
4. What is the only decoration in the children's room?
5. What does the peep hole on Count Olaf's door look like?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Baudelaire children's response when they first meet Justice Strauss.
2. How does Klaus' all night reading in Chapter 8 compare to how he used to stay up all night reading when his parents were alive?
3. In Chapter 3 after Klaus and Violet think about their parents what does Klaus suddenly begin yelling?
4. Explain the mood of the Baudelaire children in the beginning of Chapter 2 after they have learned of their parents' deaths.
5. What does a normal day entail for the children at Count Olaf's house as described early on in Chapter 3?
6. What is it that Violet's parents told her when they brought both Klaus, and later, Sunny, home from the hospital?
7. Describe the scene seen by the children at the beginning of Chapter 12 while they are standing back stage of the play.
8. What is Edgar and Albert's response when Mr. Poe tells the Baudelaire children that they are leaving the next day?
9. Explain what happens when Klaus talks back to Count Olaf in chapter four telling him that their family money can't be touched until Violet is of age.
10. What is the children's response in Chapter 1 when they hear that their parents have just died?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the feeling that the children have once they are put into Count Olaf's home. How is this reflected in the room they are forced to share? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Why is the symbol of an eye chosen to be used in Count Olaf's house and on his ankle? What does this image convey to the children? To the reader?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the play's name 'The Marvelous Marriage'? What other names could Count Olaf have come up with and created the same effect? Suggest your own name for the play, and give your reasons why.
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)