|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Poe explain the children will be going to live with Count Olaf?
2. What do the children say that they have been unable to find in Count Olaf's home?
3. Why does Mr. Poe say that the Baudelaires' parents most likely never invited Count Olaf over?
4. What does Mr. Poe do that keeps him from hearing Violet explain that Klaus has been struck by Count Olaf?
5. What does Mr. Poe's son complain about in relation to Sunny?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Violet doing while she is standing on the beach in Chapter 1?
2. What does Mr. Poe tell the children when they say that Count Olaf is a terrible guardian and explain Count Olaf's behavior in Chapter 5?
3. In Chapter 3 after Klaus and Violet think about their parents what does Klaus suddenly begin yelling?
4. What do Count's guests say when they find that Count is disciplining the children?
5. Describe the scene after Olaf and his troupe leave the house to go to their performance.
6. What is Violet's initial response to playing Count Olaf's bride in Chapter 6?
7. Describe the children's sleeping conditions at Count Olaf's home.
8. Describe how the story of the Baudelaire children is introduced.
9. How does Count Olaf's house look when the children first see it?
10. What is Count Olaf's reaction upon learning they are not having roast beef?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is the symbol of an eye chosen to be used in Count Olaf's house and on his ankle? What does this image convey to the children? To the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Violet and Klaus both seem to want to protect each other. Which seems to be more of the leader of the children? Explain your answer. Which do you think would be the better leader? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The Poe children are quite upset at sharing their room with the Baudelaire orphans. Is their reaction to having the Baudelaire children understandable? Realistic?
What does it say about the Poe children that they treat the Baudelaire's in such a manner? What does it say about the Poe parents?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)