|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Mr. Poe give to explain Count Olaf's busy schedule?
2. Where does Mr. Poe tell the children they can contact him?
3. What does Sunny enjoy doing?
4. What do the children see on Count Olaf?
5. What is Violet thinking of inventing a machine to do while they are on the beach?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Violet give as the reason she should not participate in the Marvelous Marriage?
2. In Chapter 3 what is explained by the narrator when Klaus says he hopes the person knocking on the door is someone to visit them?
3. In Chapter 3 after Klaus and Violet think about their parents what does Klaus suddenly begin yelling?
4. What is Edgar and Albert's response when Mr. Poe tells the Baudelaire children that they are leaving the next day?
5. Describe the people that come into Count Olaf's house to have dinner.
6. What is the children's response in Chapter 1 when they hear that their parents have just died?
7. What do Count's guests say when they find that Count is disciplining the children?
8. How does Mr. Poe treat the children while they are trying to talk to him in Chapter 5?
9. What is Violet doing while she is standing on the beach in Chapter 1?
10. What does Violet mean when she says that Mr. Poe was like the executioner in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Poe children are quite upset at sharing their room with the Baudelaire orphans. Is their reaction to having the Baudelaire children understandable? Realistic?
What does it say about the Poe children that they treat the Baudelaire's in such a manner? What does it say about the Poe parents?
Essay Topic 2
Is there anything that the children could have done to befriend Count Olaf?
Would he have been set on killing the children no matter what? Why?
Could Violet have offered him money and bought her and her siblings freedom?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the play's name 'The Marvelous Marriage'? What other names could Count Olaf have come up with and created the same effect? Suggest your own name for the play, and give your reasons why.
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)