|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Violet have to drop in order to take Klaus' hand?
2. Who knocks on the front door while Violet and Klaus are trying to figure out what to have for dinner?
3. What is the only decoration in the children's room?
4. What does Violet say she would like a book on?
5. What does Sunny enjoy doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Count Olaf's response when Klaus reveals he has discovered Olaf's plan?
2. In Chapter 3 after Klaus and Violet think about their parents what does Klaus suddenly begin yelling?
3. What is Justice Strauss' response when Violet and Klaus ask her if she is excited about being in Olaf's play in Chapter 7?
4. What is the response of Violet and Klaus when they are told they will be leaving the Poe household?
5. In Chapter 3 what is explained by the narrator when Klaus says he hopes the person knocking on the door is someone to visit them?
6. What does the bald man do before he joins Olaf and the others in the dinning room?
7. What does Violet find when she reaches the top of the tower and has climbed her grappling hook?
8. Describe how Count Olaf compares the children to a stubborn mule in Chapter 8?
9. What is Violet doing while she is standing on the beach in Chapter 1?
10. What are the costumes that Klaus and Violet are put into for 'The Marvelous Marriage'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) What is significant about Count Olaf's acting career?
2) Could Count Olaf have had a different career? Explain.
3) What is general thought about actors as a stereotype? Does Count Olaf fit this description? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationships between Sunny and Klaus. Violet and Sunny, Klaus and Violet.
In what ways are they typical siblings? In what ways are they atypical?
Essay Topic 3
Is there anything that the children could have done to befriend Count Olaf?
Would he have been set on killing the children no matter what? Why?
Could Violet have offered him money and bought her and her siblings freedom?
This section contains 1,636 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)