|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the peep hole on Count Olaf's door look like?
2. What does Klaus say that they must go and look for soon?
3. What do the children put their clothes in at Count Olaf's house?
4. What does Count Olaf tell the children that he wants them to do in order to feel more at home with him?
5. What does Justice Strauss show the children that excites them?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 5 what are the children's moods when they wake up the next morning?
2. Explain the mood of the Baudelaire children in the beginning of Chapter 2 after they have learned of their parents' deaths.
3. In Chapter 3 after Klaus and Violet think about their parents what does Klaus suddenly begin yelling?
4. What is Violet's first thought when she sees the figure walking towards them in Chapter 1?
5. In Chapter 3 what is explained by the narrator when Klaus says he hopes the person knocking on the door is someone to visit them?
6. What is Edgar and Albert's response when Mr. Poe tells the Baudelaire children that they are leaving the next day?
7. What is Count Olaf's reaction upon learning they are not having roast beef?
8. What events do the children remember while talking about Violet burning the toast in Chapter 3?
9. What do Count's guests say when they find that Count is disciplining the children?
10. What does Mr. Poe explain will happen to the children now that their parents are dead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Poe says he cannot leave the Baudelaire children with Justice Strauss because she is not a relative.
1) Is Mr. Poe right to refuse the children's home with Justice Strauss? Explain.
2) Is a person's will so sacred that it should be followed at the expense of those living? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Count Olaf seems to have a large following in his acting troupe. Why is he able to command so much loyalty? Why are Justice Strauss, Mr. Poe and seemingly every other adult taken in by his rouse?
Essay Topic 3
Violet and Klaus both seem to want to protect each other. Which seems to be more of the leader of the children? Explain your answer. Which do you think would be the better leader? Why?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)