|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fruit has been put with their breakfast that Count Olaf has served?
2. Where does Mr. Poe tell the children they can contact him?
3. What does Sunny do to Justice Strauss?
4. What did the children buy for dessert for Count Olaf and the troupe?
5. What does Klaus say he would like a book on?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Count Olaf's house look when the children first see it?
2. What is Violet's first thought when she sees the figure walking towards them in Chapter 1?
3. What does Justice Strauss tell the children when they see her extensive book collection?
4. What is Violet doing while she is standing on the beach in Chapter 1?
5. What does a normal day entail for the children at Count Olaf's house as described early on in Chapter 3?
6. What is Edgar and Albert's response when Mr. Poe tells the Baudelaire children that they are leaving the next day?
7. What events do the children remember while talking about Violet burning the toast in Chapter 3?
8. How does Mr. Poe treat the children while they are trying to talk to him in Chapter 5?
9. What does Violet suggest they do in Chapter 5 while they are chopping wood? What is Klaus' reaction?
10. Describe how the story of the Baudelaire children is introduced.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Poe children are quite upset at sharing their room with the Baudelaire orphans. Is their reaction to having the Baudelaire children understandable? Realistic?
What does it say about the Poe children that they treat the Baudelaire's in such a manner? What does it say about the Poe parents?
Essay Topic 2
Why is the symbol of an eye chosen to be used in Count Olaf's house and on his ankle? What does this image convey to the children? To the reader?
Essay Topic 3
1) What is significant about Count Olaf's acting career?
2) Could Count Olaf have had a different career? Explain.
3) What is general thought about actors as a stereotype? Does Count Olaf fit this description? Explain.
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)