|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the notes that Count Olaf leaves the children what does he put at the bottom instead of his name?
2. What has Count Olaf made for the children to eat when they awake the next morning?
3. What do the children see on the wall when they step into Count Olaf's house?
4. Why does Mr. Poe say that the Baudelaires' parents most likely never invited Count Olaf over?
5. What is in the corner of Strauss' personal library that doesn't contain books?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the mood of the Baudelaire children in the beginning of Chapter 2 after they have learned of their parents' deaths.
2. How is the tower described in Chapter 11?
3. What is Justice Strauss' reaction when she sees the children before they go on in Chapter 12?
4. What does the narrator explain about laws in Chapter 13 after Violet has been found to not be legally married to Count Olaf?
5. What does the hook-handed man tell Klaus in Chapter 7 that frightens Klaus?
6. What does the bald man do before he joins Olaf and the others in the dinning room?
7. Describe the scene where Violet is walking down the stairs to do the play, The Marvelous Marriage, in Chapter 11.
8. Describe what makes Violet's plan risky and dangerous.
9. What is Violet's first thought when she sees the figure walking towards them in Chapter 1?
10. Describe what Count Olaf says and Violet thinks when he is asking her if it would be so bad being married to him in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Poe says he cannot leave the Baudelaire children with Justice Strauss because she is not a relative.
1) Is Mr. Poe right to refuse the children's home with Justice Strauss? Explain.
2) Is a person's will so sacred that it should be followed at the expense of those living? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The two adults in the story that are seemingly trying to help the Baudelaire children are Mr. Poe and Justice Strauss.
1) Compare the personalities of Mr. Poe and Justice Strauss.
2) What was the role of each of these characters in the story?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the play's name 'The Marvelous Marriage'? What other names could Count Olaf have come up with and created the same effect? Suggest your own name for the play, and give your reasons why.
This section contains 1,778 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)