|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the children see on Count Olaf?
2. What does Klaus think of being destroyed in the fire?
3. What does Violet do just before she gets ready to start thinking of an invention?
4. What do the children say that they have been unable to find in Count Olaf's home?
5. What is in the corner of Strauss' personal library that doesn't contain books?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the people that come into Count Olaf's house to have dinner.
2. In Chapter 6 what is the children's response to the breakfast that Count Olaf makes?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 5 what are the children's moods when they wake up the next morning?
4. Explain what happens when Klaus talks back to Count Olaf in chapter four telling him that their family money can't be touched until Violet is of age.
5. What do Count's guests say when they find that Count is disciplining the children?
6. What does Violet suggest they do in Chapter 5 while they are chopping wood? What is Klaus' reaction?
7. What is the response of Violet and Klaus when they are told they will be leaving the Poe household?
8. What is Count Olaf's reaction upon learning they are not having roast beef?
9. What is the children's response to Count Olaf when they first meet?
10. How does Count Olaf describe the play, The Marvelous Marriage, to the children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Poe children are quite upset at sharing their room with the Baudelaire orphans. Is their reaction to having the Baudelaire children understandable? Realistic?
What does it say about the Poe children that they treat the Baudelaire's in such a manner? What does it say about the Poe parents?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the play's name 'The Marvelous Marriage'? What other names could Count Olaf have come up with and created the same effect? Suggest your own name for the play, and give your reasons why.
Essay Topic 3
1) What is significant about Mr. Poe's coughing fits? What feeling or thought is the author trying to impart to the reader by giving Mr. Poe these coughing fits?
2) What does it further say about Mr. Poe when the children go to see him at the bank?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)