|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Olaf say he is doing when the theater troupe arrives?
2. What is the only decoration in the children's room?
3. What fruit has been put with their breakfast that Count Olaf has served?
4. What do the children tell Mr. Poe that Count Olaf is always asking about?
5. What kind of pictures does the book that Sunny chooses have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Count Olaf's house look when the children first see it?
2. What do Count's guests say when they find that Count is disciplining the children?
3. What does the bald man do before he joins Olaf and the others in the dinning room?
4. Describe the people that come into Count Olaf's house to have dinner.
5. What does Mr. Poe explain will happen to the children now that their parents are dead?
6. What is Violet's initial response to playing Count Olaf's bride in Chapter 6?
7. Describe how the story of the Baudelaire children is introduced.
8. How does Mr. Poe treat the children while they are trying to talk to him in Chapter 5?
9. Describe the scene after Olaf and his troupe leave the house to go to their performance.
10. What does Violet suggest they do in Chapter 5 while they are chopping wood? What is Klaus' reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationships between Sunny and Klaus. Violet and Sunny, Klaus and Violet.
In what ways are they typical siblings? In what ways are they atypical?
Essay Topic 2
The children are trying to think up ways out of the tower and come up with several odd possibilities but nothing that will work.
1) What does it say about the children and their knowledge that they are able to come up with Molotov cocktails and polygamy?
2) What would you have done if you were in their position?
Essay Topic 3
Why is the symbol of an eye chosen to be used in Count Olaf's house and on his ankle? What does this image convey to the children? To the reader?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)