|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Olaf say he has become since he has adopted the children?
2. What does Sunny do while Violet and Klaus prepare the meal?
3. What does Count Olaf tell the children to do if they want another bed?
4. When does Klaus suggest they could come over?
5. What does Violet suggest the children could do in return for using Strauss' library?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Violet mean when she says that Mr. Poe was like the executioner in Chapter 1?
2. What events do the children remember while talking about Violet burning the toast in Chapter 3?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 5 what are the children's moods when they wake up the next morning?
4. What is Violet doing while she is standing on the beach in Chapter 1?
5. What do Count's guests say when they find that Count is disciplining the children?
6. What does Justice Strauss tell the children when they see her extensive book collection?
7. Describe the children's sleeping conditions at Count Olaf's home.
8. What is the children's response in Chapter 1 when they hear that their parents have just died?
9. In Chapter 6 what is the children's response to the breakfast that Count Olaf makes?
10. What is the response of Violet and Klaus when they are told they will be leaving the Poe household?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Count Olaf seems to have a large following in his acting troupe. Why is he able to command so much loyalty? Why are Justice Strauss, Mr. Poe and seemingly every other adult taken in by his rouse?
Essay Topic 2
Why is the symbol of an eye chosen to be used in Count Olaf's house and on his ankle? What does this image convey to the children? To the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the feeling that the children have once they are put into Count Olaf's home. How is this reflected in the room they are forced to share? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)