|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the children put their clothes in at Count Olaf's house?
2. Who do the children see coming towards them?
3. What does the theater troupe do when they are ready to have dinner?
4. What does Count Olaf tell the children to do if they want another bed?
5. What does Violet wish that she had bought at the market to put in Olaf's food?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the children's response in Chapter 1 when they hear that their parents have just died?
2. Explain the mood of the Baudelaire children in the beginning of Chapter 2 after they have learned of their parents' deaths.
3. Describe the children's sleeping conditions at Count Olaf's home.
4. What events do the children remember while talking about Violet burning the toast in Chapter 3?
5. What does Violet suggest they do in Chapter 5 while they are chopping wood? What is Klaus' reaction?
6. Explain what happens when Klaus talks back to Count Olaf in chapter four telling him that their family money can't be touched until Violet is of age.
7. In Chapter 6 what is the children's response to the breakfast that Count Olaf makes?
8. What does Violet give as the reason she should not participate in the Marvelous Marriage?
9. What do Count's guests say when they find that Count is disciplining the children?
10. What is Violet doing while she is standing on the beach in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The law books seem to play a large role in Klaus' research. What is the purpose of the author using law books for Klaus' focus? What alternative could have been used for Klaus?
Essay Topic 2
Is there anything that the children could have done to befriend Count Olaf?
Would he have been set on killing the children no matter what? Why?
Could Violet have offered him money and bought her and her siblings freedom?
Essay Topic 3
Count Olaf seems to have a large following in his acting troupe. Why is he able to command so much loyalty? Why are Justice Strauss, Mr. Poe and seemingly every other adult taken in by his rouse?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)