|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Olaf say he is doing when the theater troupe arrives?
2. What does Klaus think of being destroyed in the fire?
3. What does Violet begin to do when she sees the figure walking towards them on the beach?
4. What did the children buy for dessert for Count Olaf and the troupe?
5. What has Count Olaf made for the children to eat when they awake the next morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the children's sleeping conditions at Count Olaf's home.
2. What is Violet's first thought when she sees the figure walking towards them in Chapter 1?
3. Describe the people that come into Count Olaf's house to have dinner.
4. What is the children's response to Count Olaf when they first meet?
5. What does Justice Strauss tell the children when they see her extensive book collection?
6. What is the children's response in Chapter 1 when they hear that their parents have just died?
7. What does a normal day entail for the children at Count Olaf's house as described early on in Chapter 3?
8. How does Count Olaf's house look when the children first see it?
9. What is Count Olaf's reaction upon learning they are not having roast beef?
10. What is Violet's initial response to playing Count Olaf's bride in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is there anything that the children could have done to befriend Count Olaf?
Would he have been set on killing the children no matter what? Why?
Could Violet have offered him money and bought her and her siblings freedom?
Essay Topic 2
1) What is significant about Count Olaf's acting career?
2) Could Count Olaf have had a different career? Explain.
3) What is general thought about actors as a stereotype? Does Count Olaf fit this description? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Why do many of the adults continually treat Klaus and Violet as if they are children without any sense? What is the author's goal with treating his main characters this way?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)