|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sunny do while Violet and Klaus are packing their clothes?
2. Where does Klaus say he would rather take his chances than with Count Olaf?
3. What is Justice Strauss holding when she first meets the Baudelaire children?
4. What does Mr. Poe's son complain about in relation to Sunny?
5. What is carved on Count Olaf's front door?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6 what is the children's response to the breakfast that Count Olaf makes?
2. What is Count Olaf's reaction upon learning they are not having roast beef?
3. Describe the scene after Olaf and his troupe leave the house to go to their performance.
4. How does Count Olaf describe the play, The Marvelous Marriage, to the children?
5. Explain what happens when Klaus talks back to Count Olaf in chapter four telling him that their family money can't be touched until Violet is of age.
6. How does Count Olaf's house look when the children first see it?
7. In Chapter 3 after Klaus and Violet think about their parents what does Klaus suddenly begin yelling?
8. Explain the mood of the Baudelaire children in the beginning of Chapter 2 after they have learned of their parents' deaths.
9. What is Edgar and Albert's response when Mr. Poe tells the Baudelaire children that they are leaving the next day?
10. What is the children's response in Chapter 1 when they hear that their parents have just died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sunny is an infant and although her presence causes many actions and reactions she doesn't have a very large role in the story.
1) Describe Sunny's personality.
2) How would the story have changed if there had been no Sunny?
3) How would the story have changed if Sunny had been much older?
Essay Topic 2
Count Olaf seems to have a large following in his acting troupe. Why is he able to command so much loyalty? Why are Justice Strauss, Mr. Poe and seemingly every other adult taken in by his rouse?
Essay Topic 3
1) What is significant about Mr. Poe's coughing fits? What feeling or thought is the author trying to impart to the reader by giving Mr. Poe these coughing fits?
2) What does it further say about Mr. Poe when the children go to see him at the bank?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)