|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Justice Strauss show the children that excites them?
2. What do the children realize Count Olaf isn't wearing?
3. On the notes that Count Olaf leaves the children what does he put at the bottom instead of his name?
4. Where do the Baudelaire children decide the map of the city that Count Olaf had talked about must be?
5. What does Sunny sleep on at Count Olaf's?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Poe treat the children while they are trying to talk to him in Chapter 5?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 5 what are the children's moods when they wake up the next morning?
3. What is the response of Violet and Klaus when they are told they will be leaving the Poe household?
4. What is Count Olaf's reaction upon learning they are not having roast beef?
5. Describe how the story of the Baudelaire children is introduced.
6. How does Count Olaf's house look when the children first see it?
7. What events do the children remember while talking about Violet burning the toast in Chapter 3?
8. What is Violet's initial response to playing Count Olaf's bride in Chapter 6?
9. Explain the mood of the Baudelaire children in the beginning of Chapter 2 after they have learned of their parents' deaths.
10. What does Justice Strauss tell the children when they see her extensive book collection?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the feeling that the children have once they are put into Count Olaf's home. How is this reflected in the room they are forced to share? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
The two adults in the story that are seemingly trying to help the Baudelaire children are Mr. Poe and Justice Strauss.
1) Compare the personalities of Mr. Poe and Justice Strauss.
2) What was the role of each of these characters in the story?
Essay Topic 3
The Poe children are quite upset at sharing their room with the Baudelaire orphans. Is their reaction to having the Baudelaire children understandable? Realistic?
What does it say about the Poe children that they treat the Baudelaire's in such a manner? What does it say about the Poe parents?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)