|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the story begins where are the Baudelaire children?
2. What does Klaus say he wished he knew more about and wants to get a book on?
3. What does Violet begin to do when she sees the figure walking towards them on the beach?
4. What does Mr. Poe do that keeps him from hearing Violet explain that Klaus has been struck by Count Olaf?
5. Klaus is able to tell the difference between which two animals?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6 what is the children's response to the breakfast that Count Olaf makes?
2. In Chapter 3 after Klaus and Violet think about their parents what does Klaus suddenly begin yelling?
3. Describe how the story of the Baudelaire children is introduced.
4. How does Count Olaf's house look when the children first see it?
5. What does Violet give as the reason she should not participate in the Marvelous Marriage?
6. What does Violet mean when she says that Mr. Poe was like the executioner in Chapter 1?
7. Explain what happens when Klaus talks back to Count Olaf in chapter four telling him that their family money can't be touched until Violet is of age.
8. What does the bald man do before he joins Olaf and the others in the dinning room?
9. What events do the children remember while talking about Violet burning the toast in Chapter 3?
10. How does Count Olaf describe the play, The Marvelous Marriage, to the children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Count Olaf seems to have a large following in his acting troupe. Why is he able to command so much loyalty? Why are Justice Strauss, Mr. Poe and seemingly every other adult taken in by his rouse?
Essay Topic 2
The law books seem to play a large role in Klaus' research. What is the purpose of the author using law books for Klaus' focus? What alternative could have been used for Klaus?
Essay Topic 3
Why do many of the adults continually treat Klaus and Violet as if they are children without any sense? What is the author's goal with treating his main characters this way?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)