|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sunny say that gives Klaus and Violet an idea of what to do to learn about Olaf's plans?
2. How long does Mr. Poe say the children have to wait to be able to use their family's money?
3. What does Justice Strauss do that immediately puts Violet at ease?
4. What does Sunny enjoy doing?
5. What does Sunny do while Violet and Klaus are packing their clothes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Edgar and Albert's response when Mr. Poe tells the Baudelaire children that they are leaving the next day?
2. What does Justice Strauss tell the children when they see her extensive book collection?
3. Explain the mood of the Baudelaire children in the beginning of Chapter 2 after they have learned of their parents' deaths.
4. What is Count Olaf's reaction upon learning they are not having roast beef?
5. What is Violet's first thought when she sees the figure walking towards them in Chapter 1?
6. What is the children's response in Chapter 1 when they hear that their parents have just died?
7. What does a normal day entail for the children at Count Olaf's house as described early on in Chapter 3?
8. Describe the scene after Olaf and his troupe leave the house to go to their performance.
9. Describe the Baudelaire children's response when they first meet Justice Strauss.
10. Describe the children's sleeping conditions at Count Olaf's home.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is the symbol of an eye chosen to be used in Count Olaf's house and on his ankle? What does this image convey to the children? To the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Count Olaf seems to have a large following in his acting troupe. Why is he able to command so much loyalty? Why are Justice Strauss, Mr. Poe and seemingly every other adult taken in by his rouse?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the feeling that the children have once they are put into Count Olaf's home. How is this reflected in the room they are forced to share? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)