|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Klaus is able to tell the difference between which two animals?
2. What is noticed about the figure approaching the children before it gets to them?
3. Who knocks on the front door while Violet and Klaus are trying to figure out what to have for dinner?
4. Where do the Baudelaire children decide the map of the city that Count Olaf had talked about must be?
5. How long does Mr. Poe say the children have to wait to be able to use their family's money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Justice Strauss' response when Violet and Klaus ask her if she is excited about being in Olaf's play in Chapter 7?
2. Describe the people that come into Count Olaf's house to have dinner.
3. What is the children's response in Chapter 1 when they hear that their parents have just died?
4. How does Count Olaf's house look when the children first see it?
5. Describe the children's sleeping conditions at Count Olaf's home.
6. Describe the scene at the end of the book where the Baudelaire children are leaving with Mr. Poe.
7. What do Count's guests say when they find that Count is disciplining the children?
8. What does Violet suggest they do in Chapter 5 while they are chopping wood? What is Klaus' reaction?
9. Describe what Count Olaf says and Violet thinks when he is asking her if it would be so bad being married to him in Chapter 8?
10. In Chapter 6 what is the children's response to the breakfast that Count Olaf makes?
Essay Topic 1
Is there anything that the children could have done to befriend Count Olaf?
Would he have been set on killing the children no matter what? Why?
Could Violet have offered him money and bought her and her siblings freedom?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the play's name 'The Marvelous Marriage'? What other names could Count Olaf have come up with and created the same effect? Suggest your own name for the play, and give your reasons why.
Essay Topic 3
Take a closer look at Justice Strauss.
1) Why did she take to the children so quickly? Why did she offer to come let them live with her?
2) Why did the children not try to tell her about how they were being treated? Would she have believed them?
This section contains 1,751 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)