|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is carved on Count Olaf's front door?
2. What happens to the beach when it is sunny and nice?
3. Where do the Baudelaire children decide the map of the city that Count Olaf had talked about must be?
4. What do the children have to play with?
5. What does Klaus say he would like to buy if he could use the family money?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6 what is the children's response to the breakfast that Count Olaf makes?
2. Describe how Count Olaf compares the children to a stubborn mule in Chapter 8?
3. Describe the scene after Olaf and his troupe leave the house to go to their performance.
4. What is Violet doing while she is standing on the beach in Chapter 1?
5. In Chapter 3 after Klaus and Violet think about their parents what does Klaus suddenly begin yelling?
6. What is the response of Violet and Klaus when they are told they will be leaving the Poe household?
7. Describe the scene seen by the children at the beginning of Chapter 12 while they are standing back stage of the play.
8. What do Count's guests say when they find that Count is disciplining the children?
9. What does Violet give as the reason she should not participate in the Marvelous Marriage?
10. Describe the scene at the beginning of Chapter 13 where Count Olaf is addressing the audience about the nature of the play.
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the play's name 'The Marvelous Marriage'? What other names could Count Olaf have come up with and created the same effect? Suggest your own name for the play, and give your reasons why.
Essay Topic 2
The Poe children are quite upset at sharing their room with the Baudelaire orphans. Is their reaction to having the Baudelaire children understandable? Realistic?
What does it say about the Poe children that they treat the Baudelaire's in such a manner? What does it say about the Poe parents?
Essay Topic 3
Violet and Klaus are the two main characters pitted against Count Olaf. Compare the characters of Klaus and Violet to that of Count Olaf. Does Count Olaf have any good qualities? Do the children have any bad ones? Imagine their roles are reversed, then explain how the story might play out.
This section contains 1,671 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)