|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Mr. Poe explain the meaning of to the children although they already know it?
2. What does Violet do when she is thinking about inventions?
3. What do the children see on the wall when they step into Count Olaf's house?
4. What has Count Olaf made for the children to eat when they awake the next morning?
5. What does Klaus think of being destroyed in the fire?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Count Olaf's house look when the children first see it?
2. What does Justice Strauss tell the children when they see her extensive book collection?
3. What does Mr. Poe explain will happen to the children now that their parents are dead?
4. In Chapter 3 what is explained by the narrator when Klaus says he hopes the person knocking on the door is someone to visit them?
5. What do Count's guests say when they find that Count is disciplining the children?
6. How does Count Olaf describe the play, The Marvelous Marriage, to the children?
7. Describe the children's sleeping conditions at Count Olaf's home.
8. What does Violet suggest they do in Chapter 5 while they are chopping wood? What is Klaus' reaction?
9. What does Violet give as the reason she should not participate in the Marvelous Marriage?
10. Explain what happens when Klaus talks back to Count Olaf in chapter four telling him that their family money can't be touched until Violet is of age.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the feeling that the children have once they are put into Count Olaf's home. How is this reflected in the room they are forced to share? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
The children are trying to think up ways out of the tower and come up with several odd possibilities but nothing that will work.
1) What does it say about the children and their knowledge that they are able to come up with Molotov cocktails and polygamy?
2) What would you have done if you were in their position?
Essay Topic 3
The Poe children are quite upset at sharing their room with the Baudelaire orphans. Is their reaction to having the Baudelaire children understandable? Realistic?
What does it say about the Poe children that they treat the Baudelaire's in such a manner? What does it say about the Poe parents?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)