|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Count Olaf say he got a phone call from?
2. What is wrong with the clothing that Mrs. Poe purchased for the children?
3. What do the children do to figuratively escape Count Olaf's home?
4. What fruit has been put with their breakfast that Count Olaf has served?
5. What does Violet suggest they go to Justice Strauss' house for?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6 what is the children's response to the breakfast that Count Olaf makes?
2. In Chapter 3 what is explained by the narrator when Klaus says he hopes the person knocking on the door is someone to visit them?
3. Describe the Baudelaire children's response when they first meet Justice Strauss.
4. In Chapter 3 after Klaus and Violet think about their parents what does Klaus suddenly begin yelling?
5. What is the children's response to Count Olaf when they first meet?
6. What does Violet suggest they do in Chapter 5 while they are chopping wood? What is Klaus' reaction?
7. What is Violet doing while she is standing on the beach in Chapter 1?
8. What events do the children remember while talking about Violet burning the toast in Chapter 3?
9. What is Violet's initial response to playing Count Olaf's bride in Chapter 6?
10. What does Violet mean when she says that Mr. Poe was like the executioner in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) What is significant about Mr. Poe's coughing fits? What feeling or thought is the author trying to impart to the reader by giving Mr. Poe these coughing fits?
2) What does it further say about Mr. Poe when the children go to see him at the bank?
Essay Topic 2
Mr. Poe says he cannot leave the Baudelaire children with Justice Strauss because she is not a relative.
1) Is Mr. Poe right to refuse the children's home with Justice Strauss? Explain.
2) Is a person's will so sacred that it should be followed at the expense of those living? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
1) What is significant about Count Olaf's acting career?
2) Could Count Olaf have had a different career? Explain.
3) What is general thought about actors as a stereotype? Does Count Olaf fit this description? Explain.
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)