|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one other Chopin piece in which Gouvernail appears?
2. What is Calixta's response to Bobinôt's question?
3. How does Mrs. Baroda feel when she speaks to Gouvernail?
4. Who has a weak heart?
5. Where does Athénaïse go when she leaves Cazeau a second time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Awakening.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Awakening. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Awakening. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
The Creole culture and the culture of the United States at that time in general in the late 1800s is fertile ground for sexism. Discuss one of the following:
1. Research the existence of sexism in the South and the United States and analyze The Awakening and one other short story for its accuracy and/or inaccuracy in its portrayal of sexism.
2. Trace and analyze the theme of sexism throughout The Awakening. Who are the most obvious sexist? Who are perhaps subtly sexist? Are any of the characters free of sexism? Who? Why do you say so?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of sexism in three of the short stories. Who are the most obvious sexist? Who are perhaps subtly sexist? Are any of the characters free of sexism? Who? Why do you say so?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Discuss the theme of choice in The Awakening and two of the short stories. Who makes wise choices? Who makes unwise choices? Do you think Edna believes more in fate or free will? Why?
2. Debate the following statement in an argument/persuasion essay: Making several poor choices one after the other makes it more likely one will continue to make poor choices.
3. Rewrite the ending with Edna making what you think would be a wiser choice and then discuss why you believe it would be a better choice.
This section contains 2,669 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)