Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Désirée husband do soon after their first child is born?
2. What does Cazeau sense when he embraces Athénaïse?
3. Who is dead at the opening of the story?
4. What do Calixta and Alcée do?
5. For whom does Mr. Sublet ask when he visits Bayou Têche?
Essay Topic 1
The Creole culture and the culture of the United States at that time in general in the late 1800s is fertile ground for sexism. Discuss one of the following:
1. Research the existence of sexism in the South and the United States and analyze The Awakening and one other short story for its accuracy and/or inaccuracy in its portrayal of sexism.
2. Trace and analyze the theme of sexism throughout The Awakening. Who are the most obvious sexist? Who are perhaps subtly sexist? Are any of the characters free of sexism? Who? Why do you say so?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of sexism in three of the short stories. Who are the most obvious sexist? Who are perhaps subtly sexist? Are any of the characters free of sexism? Who? Why do you say so?
Essay Topic 2
The Awakening could be said to be a "bildungsroman" of Edna Pontellier, the narrator. Discuss the following:
1. Define the concepts "bildungsroman" and "coming of age."
2. Thoroughly trace and analyze The Awakening as a bildungsroman of Edna Pontellier. Give specific examples. What does Edna learn? How has she changed? Is the change for the better?
3. Thoroughly trace and analyze AthÃ©naÃ¯se as a coming of age story. Give specific examples. What does AthÃ©naÃ¯se learn? How has she changed? Is the change for the better?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Discuss the theme of choice in The Awakening and two of the short stories. Who makes wise choices? Who makes unwise choices? Do you think Edna believes more in fate or free will? Why?
2. Debate the following statement in an argument/persuasion essay: Making several poor choices one after the other makes it more likely one will continue to make poor choices.
3. Rewrite the ending with Edna making what you think would be a wiser choice and then discuss why you believe it would be a better choice.
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)