Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Désirée husband do soon after their first child is born?
2. What does Cazeau sense when he embraces Athénaïse?
3. Who is dead at the opening of the story?
4. What do Calixta and Alcée do?
5. For whom does Mr. Sublet ask when he visits Bayou Têche?
Essay Topic 1
Any work of fiction has some similarities, yet the structure can engender differences. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast how the structure of the novelette, The Awakening, informs the reading experience to how the structure of one of the short stories does the same.
2. Many readers love novels and are indifferent to short stories, and vice versa. Discuss why you think some readers would enjoy one format over another.
3. Choose a short, one-act play and compare it to one of the short stories as far as how structure affects the reading experience.
Essay Topic 2
The Awakening, as does several of the short stores ends on an unhappy or seemingly morbid note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why? not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of The Awakening and the short stories and whether or not Chopin's works fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Chopin's works are or are not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Many authors write numerous works of fiction that differ in plot and detail, but which often treat the same ideas over and over. Discuss the following:
1. What is one theme/idea that exists in at least three of Chopin's works in this collection? Compare and contrast how the theme is treated among the three pieces.
2. Compare/contrast two of Chopin's short stories for their similarities and differences. Does Chopin seem more sympathetic towards women or men? Or is there any pattern? Do you think Chopin endorses the cultural expectations of the day? why or why not.
3. Most of Chopin's works are short stories and two short novels (or novelettes). Why do you think Chopin chooses to write in the short story genre? Compare/contrast the challenges of writing a longer novel versus a short story. Which would you prefer to read? Write? Why?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)