|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mrs. Sommers go after the store?
2. What does Alcée write to his wife?
3. What does Armand want Désirée to do?
4. What does Cazeau sense when he embraces Athénaïse?
5. What is the reason Cazeau tells his wife that he married her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Sommers spend her fifteen dollars?
2. How does Athénaïse develop a relationship with Gouvernail?
3. How does Elizabeth help Mr. Brightman?
4. What does Désirée do after Armand tells her to leave?
5. What changes everything for Athénaïse and what does she do?
6. What does Mrs. Sommers receive and what does she plan to do with it?
7. What does Gabriel tell Tnate Elodie and what does she say in response?
8. Why does Armand withdraw from Désirée?
9. What does Elodie learn while at a wedding reception?
10. What is the difference between Calixta and Clarissa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Setting as far as place and time play an important role in The Awakening and many of Chopin's short stories. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast several aspects of the setting of that time (late 1800s) from how it would be today. Consider things such as cultural norms/expectations, technology, religion and medicine.
2. Do you The Awakening or any of the short stories would be different if it were set in another state in the United States, such as California, in that same era? Consider particularly the fact that Creole people often have a strong identification with the area around New Orleans.
3. What issues that are present in the time of The Awakening would still be issues today? What would no longer be issues? Consider such things as class, racism, alcoholism, sexual freedom, rugged individualism and integrity.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel? What about a successful short story? Do the criteria for a successful piece of fiction differ between a novel and short story? Why or why not.
2. Analyze and discuss The Awakening based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if The Awakening is a successful novelette. Explain your rationale with specific examples.
3. Do you think the fact that The Awakening is a novelette changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
4. Analyze and discuss two short stories based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if each is successful as a piece of fiction. Explain your rationale with specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
Chopin's life may have greatly informed her writing. Discuss the following:
1. Research Kate Chopin and write a 2-3 informative essay about her life.
2. Choose one theme that occurs throughout most of Chopin's work and discuss it in relation to what you learned in your research about Chopin.
3. Can an author write an entirely objective piece of fiction without her/his own experiences influencing the work? Why or why not (in your opinion).
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)