|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mrs. Sommers go after the store?
2. What does Mrs. Baroda say about her husband wanting Gouvernail for a second visit?
3. Upon what is Mrs. Sommers focused?
4. Where did Elizabeth Stock work?
5. What does Désirée husband do soon after their first child is born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Baroda feel towards Gourvernail at the opening of the story, and what does she do as a result?
2. Why does Armand withdraw from Désirée?
3. What does Gabriel tell Tnate Elodie and what does she say in response?
4. What does Mrs. Sommers receive and what does she plan to do with it?
5. What does Mr. Sublet ask Evariste Bonamour and what Sublet give Evariste?
6. How does Elizabeth help Mr. Brightman?
7. Why does Elizabeth lose her job at the post office?
8. How does Mrs. Sommers spend her fifteen dollars?
9. What does Désirée do after Armand tells her to leave?
10. How does Athénaïse develop a relationship with Gouvernail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chopin's life may have greatly informed her writing. Discuss the following:
1. Research Kate Chopin and write a 2-3 informative essay about her life.
2. Choose one theme that occurs throughout most of Chopin's work and discuss it in relation to what you learned in your research about Chopin.
3. Can an author write an entirely objective piece of fiction without her/his own experiences influencing the work? Why or why not (in your opinion).
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel? What about a successful short story? Do the criteria for a successful piece of fiction differ between a novel and short story? Why or why not.
2. Analyze and discuss The Awakening based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if The Awakening is a successful novelette. Explain your rationale with specific examples.
3. Do you think the fact that The Awakening is a novelette changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
4. Analyze and discuss two short stories based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if each is successful as a piece of fiction. Explain your rationale with specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of interesting questions raised by this book. Questions that Chopin may have wanted readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Chopin's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Chopin's probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Kate Chopin and see if/where her life may have influenced her writing.
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)