Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Désirée husband do soon after their first child is born?
2. What does Cazeau sense when he embraces Athénaïse?
3. Who is dead at the opening of the story?
4. What do Calixta and Alcée do?
5. For whom does Mr. Sublet ask when he visits Bayou Têche?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in The Awakening or three of the short stories. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of mental/emotional illness or immaturity in The Awakening or three of the short stories. Which characters struggle with some sort of emotional illness? Why? Which characters seem really healthy emotionally/mentally? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of tradition in The Awakening or three of the short stories. What is Leonce's view of tradition? Edna's? Robert? Alcee? Adele? What is the view towards tradition of two of the characters in each short story you choose? Why is tradition important to some characters? Is anyone willing to abandon traditional viewpoints? Who? What are the positive and negative sides to tradition?
Essay Topic 2
The Creole culture and the culture of the United States at that time in general in the late 1800s is fertile ground for sexism. Discuss one of the following:
1. Research the existence of sexism in the South and the United States and analyze The Awakening and one other short story for its accuracy and/or inaccuracy in its portrayal of sexism.
2. Trace and analyze the theme of sexism throughout The Awakening. Who are the most obvious sexist? Who are perhaps subtly sexist? Are any of the characters free of sexism? Who? Why do you say so?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of sexism in three of the short stories. Who are the most obvious sexist? Who are perhaps subtly sexist? Are any of the characters free of sexism? Who? Why do you say so?
Essay Topic 3
Any work of fiction has some similarities, yet the structure can engender differences. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast how the structure of the novelette, The Awakening, informs the reading experience to how the structure of one of the short stories does the same.
2. Many readers love novels and are indifferent to short stories, and vice versa. Discuss why you think some readers would enjoy one format over another.
3. Choose a short, one-act play and compare it to one of the short stories as far as how structure affects the reading experience.
This section contains 2,650 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)