|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Athénaïse decide to return to Cazeau?
2. How does Gabriel die?
3. What are Elodie and Gabriel playing?
4. What do Calixta and Alcée do?
5. Why is Elizabeth fired from her job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Elizabeth lose her job at the post office?
2. What does Gabriel tell Tnate Elodie and what does she say in response?
3. What does Mr. Sublet ask Evariste Bonamour and what Sublet give Evariste?
4. How does Louise Mallard respond to the news?
5. What is the difference between Calixta and Clarissa?
6. What does Mrs. Sommers receive and what does she plan to do with it?
7. Why does Mr. Sublet change his attitude towards Evariste?
8. What does Clarisse do when she learns Alcée is going to see Calixta and why does she do what she does?
9. How does Mrs. Baroda feel towards Gourvernail at the opening of the story, and what does she do as a result?
10. How does Mrs. Sommers spend her fifteen dollars?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss the character Edna Pontellier. What are her strengths? Weaknesses? How does she evolve over the course of the story? Is she likable at the beginning of the story? At the end of the book? Do you think she is a protagonist or antagonist? Why
2. Thoroughly discuss the character Robert LeBrun. What are his strengths? Weaknesses? How does he evolve over the course of the story? (or does he?) Is he likable at the beginning of the story? At the end of the book? Is he trustworthy? Wise? Would you want him as a friend? As an enemy?
3. Thoroughly discuss three different characters from the short stories. What are the strengths of each character? Weaknesses? How does each evolve over the course of the story? (or does any of them do so?) Is each likable at the beginning of the story? At the end of the book? Is each trustworthy? Wise? Would you want any of them as a friend?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel? What about a successful short story? Do the criteria for a successful piece of fiction differ between a novel and short story? Why or why not.
2. Analyze and discuss The Awakening based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if The Awakening is a successful novelette. Explain your rationale with specific examples.
3. Do you think the fact that The Awakening is a novelette changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
4. Analyze and discuss two short stories based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if each is successful as a piece of fiction. Explain your rationale with specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
Many authors write numerous works of fiction that differ in plot and detail, but which often treat the same ideas over and over. Discuss the following:
1. What is one theme/idea that exists in at least three of Chopin's works in this collection? Compare and contrast how the theme is treated among the three pieces.
2. Compare/contrast two of Chopin's short stories for their similarities and differences. Does Chopin seem more sympathetic towards women or men? Or is there any pattern? Do you think Chopin endorses the cultural expectations of the day? why or why not.
3. Most of Chopin's works are short stories and two short novels (or novelettes). Why do you think Chopin chooses to write in the short story genre? Compare/contrast the challenges of writing a longer novel versus a short story. Which would you prefer to read? Write? Why?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)