|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Edna plan to move?
2. What does Mr. Pontellier find that surprises him when he returns to the cottage?
3. Where does Edna see Robert?
4. Why does Robert take Edna to Madame Antoine's home?
5. Where does Léonce think Edna spends too much time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the creature finally do?
2. Describe the scene between Robert and Edna at the cafe.
3. What does Madame worry about concerning Robert and Edna?
4. What happens between Robert and Edna by the end of Chapter 35?
5. What does Edna start attending?
6. Describe Edna's terrifying water experience.
7. What analogy does Edna think of from her childhood?
8. Why does Edna go to Madame Antoine's home?
9. What does the letter say that Mildred receives from her family?
10. What happens when Edna goes to be with Madame Ratignolle as she is having her baby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Discuss the theme of choice in The Awakening and two of the short stories. Who makes wise choices? Who makes unwise choices? Do you think Edna believes more in fate or free will? Why?
2. Debate the following statement in an argument/persuasion essay: Making several poor choices one after the other makes it more likely one will continue to make poor choices.
3. Rewrite the ending with Edna making what you think would be a wiser choice and then discuss why you believe it would be a better choice.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in The Awakening or three of the short stories. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of mental/emotional illness or immaturity in The Awakening or three of the short stories. Which characters struggle with some sort of emotional illness? Why? Which characters seem really healthy emotionally/mentally? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of tradition in The Awakening or three of the short stories. What is Leonce's view of tradition? Edna's? Robert? Alcee? Adele? What is the view towards tradition of two of the characters in each short story you choose? Why is tradition important to some characters? Is anyone willing to abandon traditional viewpoints? Who? What are the positive and negative sides to tradition?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Awakening.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Awakening. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Awakening. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)