|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Edna find when she gets home?
2. What does Madame Ratignolle say about Alcée?
3. What happens by accident one day?
4. What does Dr. Mandelet tell Edna?
5. Who is Mildred Orme?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the creature's situation like at the opening of the story?
2. What does Edna find when she visits Mademoiselle Reisz and how does Edna react?
3. What analogy does Edna think of from her childhood?
4. What does the creature finally do?
5. What do Edna and her father do when he visits and how does Léonce respond?
6. How does the creature survive and how does it see?
7. How does Edna feel about living in the pigeon house?
8. What does Mademoiselle Reisz show and tell Edna concerning Robert?
9. Describe the scene between Robert and Edna at the cafe.
10. What does Edna start attending?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Discuss the theme of choice in The Awakening and two of the short stories. Who makes wise choices? Who makes unwise choices? Do you think Edna believes more in fate or free will? Why?
2. Debate the following statement in an argument/persuasion essay: Making several poor choices one after the other makes it more likely one will continue to make poor choices.
3. Rewrite the ending with Edna making what you think would be a wiser choice and then discuss why you believe it would be a better choice.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss the character Edna Pontellier. What are her strengths? Weaknesses? How does she evolve over the course of the story? Is she likable at the beginning of the story? At the end of the book? Do you think she is a protagonist or antagonist? Why
2. Thoroughly discuss the character Robert LeBrun. What are his strengths? Weaknesses? How does he evolve over the course of the story? (or does he?) Is he likable at the beginning of the story? At the end of the book? Is he trustworthy? Wise? Would you want him as a friend? As an enemy?
3. Thoroughly discuss three different characters from the short stories. What are the strengths of each character? Weaknesses? How does each evolve over the course of the story? (or does any of them do so?) Is each likable at the beginning of the story? At the end of the book? Is each trustworthy? Wise? Would you want any of them as a friend?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Awakening.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Awakening. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Awakening. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)