Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Edna feel she is acting?
2. Why does Edna feel regret about her infidelity?
3. Who comes to the pigeon house while Robert is there?
4. How does the character seem?
5. What does Edna do that terrifies her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the cage door is left open by accident one day?
2. What does Robert confess when he and Edna go back to the pigeon house and what is Edna's response?
3. What does Madame Ratignolle ask of Edna and what does she think of the pigeon house?
4. Why does Edna go to Madame Antoine's home?
5. What does Elodie learn while at a wedding reception?
6. What does Mr. Sublet ask Evariste Bonamour and what Sublet give Evariste?
7. What does Alcée write to his wife and what is her response?
8. Where does Robert decide to go and how does Edna react?
9. Why does Elizabeth lose her job at the post office?
10. Why does Armand withdraw from Désirée?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Awakening.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Awakening. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Awakening. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss the character Edna Pontellier. What are her strengths? Weaknesses? How does she evolve over the course of the story? Is she likable at the beginning of the story? At the end of the book? Do you think she is a protagonist or antagonist? Why
2. Thoroughly discuss the character Robert LeBrun. What are his strengths? Weaknesses? How does he evolve over the course of the story? (or does he?) Is he likable at the beginning of the story? At the end of the book? Is he trustworthy? Wise? Would you want him as a friend? As an enemy?
3. Thoroughly discuss three different characters from the short stories. What are the strengths of each character? Weaknesses? How does each evolve over the course of the story? (or does any of them do so?) Is each likable at the beginning of the story? At the end of the book? Is each trustworthy? Wise? Would you want any of them as a friend?
Essay Topic 3
Chopin's life may have greatly informed her writing. Discuss the following:
1. Research Kate Chopin and write a 2-3 informative essay about her life.
2. Choose one theme that occurs throughout most of Chopin's work and discuss it in relation to what you learned in your research about Chopin.
3. Can an author write an entirely objective piece of fiction without her/his own experiences influencing the work? Why or why not (in your opinion).
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)