|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By what was Edna taken regarding Léonce before they marry?
2. Where do the Pontelliers live in the non-summer months?
3. Why does Léonce scold Edna?
4. What does Robert say forced him to go to Mexico?
5. What does Mildred decide to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the cage door is left open by accident one day?
2. Describe the scene when Victor upsets Edna.
3. What does Edna start attending?
4. What happens between Robert and Edna by the end of Chapter 35?
5. What does Madame worry about concerning Robert and Edna?
6. How does Léonce Pontellier treat his sunburned wife?
7. How does Edna plan to pay for her move?
8. Describe Madame Ratignolle.
9. What is Edna's life like in New Orleans?
10. Who is Robert LeBrun?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Any work of fiction has some similarities, yet the structure can engender differences. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast how the structure of the novelette, The Awakening, informs the reading experience to how the structure of one of the short stories does the same.
2. Many readers love novels and are indifferent to short stories, and vice versa. Discuss why you think some readers would enjoy one format over another.
3. Choose a short, one-act play and compare it to one of the short stories as far as how structure affects the reading experience.
Essay Topic 2
Many authors write numerous works of fiction that differ in plot and detail, but which often treat the same ideas over and over. Discuss the following:
1. What is one theme/idea that exists in at least three of Chopin's works in this collection? Compare and contrast how the theme is treated among the three pieces.
2. Compare/contrast two of Chopin's short stories for their similarities and differences. Does Chopin seem more sympathetic towards women or men? Or is there any pattern? Do you think Chopin endorses the cultural expectations of the day? why or why not.
3. Most of Chopin's works are short stories and two short novels (or novelettes). Why do you think Chopin chooses to write in the short story genre? Compare/contrast the challenges of writing a longer novel versus a short story. Which would you prefer to read? Write? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The Creole culture and the culture of the United States at that time in general in the late 1800s is fertile ground for sexism. Discuss one of the following:
1. Research the existence of sexism in the South and the United States and analyze The Awakening and one other short story for its accuracy and/or inaccuracy in its portrayal of sexism.
2. Trace and analyze the theme of sexism throughout The Awakening. Who are the most obvious sexist? Who are perhaps subtly sexist? Are any of the characters free of sexism? Who? Why do you say so?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of sexism in three of the short stories. Who are the most obvious sexist? Who are perhaps subtly sexist? Are any of the characters free of sexism? Who? Why do you say so?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)