|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Clarisse follow Alcée to the ball?
(a) Because she loves him.
(b) She does not follow him.
(c) To find out if he is really going to the ball.
(d) To keep him out of mischief.
2. Who does Evariste save?
(b) Mr. Sublet.
(c) No one.
(d) Mr. Sublet's son.
3. Where does Mr. Brightman go for a meeting?
(b) New Orleans.
(d) Washington, D. C.
4. Upon what is Mrs. Sommers focused?
(a) The needs of her children.
(b) Finding a husband.
(c) Finding a job.
(d) The cruel gossip.
5. What makes Athénaïse decide to return to Cazeau?
(a) She learns she is pregnant.
(b) She is lonely.
(c) She is in trouble with some shady characters.
(d) She has no money.
6. How does Louise die?
(a) A heart attack.
(b) As a passenger in the train wreck.
(c) Her husband kills her when he learns she celebrated his passing.
(d) She does not die.
7. What does the postcard say that Elizabeth Stock read?
(a) It predicts a change in the economic future.
(b) It is about an urgent meeting the next day.
(c) It has something written in code that she cannot read.
(d) It is about the weather in Greece.
8. Who breaks the news gently to a loved one of the accident?
9. Who unnerves Mrs. Baroda?
(c) Her cook.
(d) Her maid.
10. What does Mrs. Baroda say about her husband wanting Gouvernail for a second visit?
(a) She is frightened.
(b) She thinks is it a great idea.
(c) She is indifferent.
(d) She objects.
11. What is one other Chopin piece in which Gouvernail appears?
(a) The Awakening.
(b) "Désirée's Baby."
(c) "A Gentleman of Bayou Têche."
(d) "A Pair of Silk Stockings."
12. What does Mrs. Sommers wish as she is riding home on the bus?
(a) That her husband would return to her.
(b) That the ride would never end.
(c) That her children would disappear.
(d) That she had bought more chocolate for the children.
13. What is the reason Cazeau tells his wife that he married her?
(a) For her money.
(b) His father forced him to do so.
(c) Because he loves her.
(d) For her political connections.
14. Who adopts Désirée?
(a) Her mother's older sister and her husband.
(b) The Valmondé family.
(c) Her father's parents.
(d) No one.
15. Who has just been killed in a railroad accident?
(c) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Elodie and Gabriel playing?
2. Upon whom does Athénaïse begin to depend for companionship?
3. Who are Bobinôt and Calixta and Alcée Laballière and Clarisse?
4. How does Mrs. Baroda feel when she speaks to Gouvernail?
5. Where did Elizabeth Stock work?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)