|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is dead at the opening of the story?
(a) Elizabeth Stock.
(b) Elizabeth Stock's father.
(c) Elizabeth Stock's mother.
(d) Elizabeth Stock's sister.
2. Who are Bobinôt and Calixta and Alcée Laballière and Clarisse?
(a) Four siblings.
(b) Four friends.
(c) Two couples in the story.
(d) Four characters in a fairy tale told to the child in the story.
3. How does Louise die?
(a) She does not die.
(b) Her husband kills her when he learns she celebrated his passing.
(c) As a passenger in the train wreck.
(d) A heart attack.
4. How does Gabriel die?
(a) A fall from his horse.
(c) He does not die.
(d) A mob.
5. What does Elodie take from Everson?
(b) His watch and money.
(c) His gold teeth.
(d) His cross.
6. Who is Gouvernail?
(a) A college friend of Gaston's.
(b) Mrs. Baroda's sister.
(c) Gaston's sister.
(d) Mrs. Baroda's sister-in-law.
7. What does the postcard say that Elizabeth Stock read?
(a) It is about an urgent meeting the next day.
(b) It predicts a change in the economic future.
(c) It is about the weather in Greece.
(d) It has something written in code that she cannot read.
8. Where does Mrs. Sommers go after the store?
(a) A fancy restaurant.
(b) To her parents' home to borrow money.
(c) To a job interview.
(d) To see her lawyer.
9. What is Louise imagining in her room?
(a) What her husband is doing in heaven.
(b) A future of endless possibilities.
(c) How her brother must have suffered before dying.
(d) What her husband is doing in hell.
10. What are Elodie and Gabriel playing?
11. How much advance payment does Sublet give the 'Cadian man?
(a) 10 silver dollars.
(b) 20 gold pieces.
(c) 2 silver dollars.
12. What does Bobinôt want of Calixta?
(a) To marry her.
(b) For her to bake him a cake.
(c) To borrow money.
(d) To borrow her horse.
13. What frightens Calixta?
(a) Bobinôt is late.
(b) The hobo starts acting strange.
(c) Lightning striking a tree.
(d) Lightening strikes the house.
14. Where are Bobinôt and his son, four-year-old Bibi, waiting out a storm?
(a) In a sea cave.
(b) At Friedheimer's store.
(c) Under a rock ledge.
(d) In a barn.
15. Why does Mrs. Baroda tell her husband she is going to visit some relatives?
(a) One of them is ill.
(b) To help with the cotton picking.
(c) There is a family wedding.
(d) To avoid being around Gouvernail.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Evariste save?
2. What does Elodie not tell Gabriel?
3. Where does Athénaïse go when she leaves Cazeau a second time?
4. Where does Mr. Brightman go for a meeting?
5. What does Mr. Sublet want the 'Cadian man to do?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)