|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Désirée husband do soon after their first child is born?
(a) Kills her.
(b) Sticks by her.
(c) Divorces her.
(d) Withdraws his affections.
2. Why does Mrs. Baroda tell her husband she is going to visit some relatives?
(a) There is a family wedding.
(b) One of them is ill.
(c) To avoid being around Gouvernail.
(d) To help with the cotton picking.
3. What does Mrs. Sommers wish as she is riding home on the bus?
(a) That the ride would never end.
(b) That she had bought more chocolate for the children.
(c) That her children would disappear.
(d) That her husband would return to her.
4. What does Elodie not tell Gabriel?
(a) That Everson comes to her and he is not dead.
(b) That Everson talks to the sheriff.
(c) That a knife is in his other coat.
(d) That she robs Everson.
5. Why does Clarisse follow Alcée to the ball?
(a) To keep him out of mischief.
(b) She does not follow him.
(c) Because she loves him.
(d) To find out if he is really going to the ball.
6. What does Armand want Désirée to do?
(a) Find out if someone in her ancestry is negro.
(b) Swear to the local priest that she is white.
(c) Stay with him no matter what.
7. What is one other Chopin piece in which Gouvernail appears?
(a) The Awakening.
(b) "Désirée's Baby."
(c) "A Gentleman of Bayou Têche."
(d) "A Pair of Silk Stockings."
8. What frightens Calixta?
(a) Lightening strikes the house.
(b) Lightning striking a tree.
(c) Bobinôt is late.
(d) The hobo starts acting strange.
9. What does Cazeau sense when he embraces Athénaïse?
(a) That she has no emotions.
(b) That she is insane.
(c) That she is different.
(d) That she still does not love him.
10. Who unnerves Mrs. Baroda?
(b) Her cook.
(c) Her maid.
11. What does Bobinôt want of Calixta?
(a) To marry her.
(b) For her to bake him a cake.
(c) To borrow her horse.
(d) To borrow money.
12. Where does Athénaïse go when she leaves Cazeau a second time?
(c) New Orleans.
13. Who breaks the news gently to a loved one of the accident?
14. What does Armand's mother say in a letter to Armand's father?
(a) That she does not want Armand.
(b) That she hates her husband.
(c) That she is black.
(d) That she had a daughter she puts up for adoption.
15. What is one thing Mrs. Sommers buys at the store with her newly-acquired money?
(a) Silk stockings.
(b) Chocolate for the children.
(c) Clothes for the children.
(d) A stack of books.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elodie take from Everson?
2. What does Mrs. Baroda say about her husband wanting Gouvernail for a second visit?
3. Why is Elizabeth fired from her job?
4. What does Désirée do with herself and her baby?
5. Who adopts Désirée?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)