|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who unnerves Mrs. Baroda?
(b) Her cook.
(c) Her maid.
2. What makes Athénaïse decide to return to Cazeau?
(a) She is in trouble with some shady characters.
(b) She learns she is pregnant.
(c) She is lonely.
(d) She has no money.
3. Who is Gouvernail?
(a) Gaston's sister.
(b) Mrs. Baroda's sister-in-law.
(c) Mrs. Baroda's sister.
(d) A college friend of Gaston's.
4. What does Mrs. Baroda say about her husband wanting Gouvernail for a second visit?
(a) She is frightened.
(b) She objects.
(c) She is indifferent.
(d) She thinks is it a great idea.
5. What does Cazeau sense when he embraces Athénaïse?
(a) That she is insane.
(b) That she has no emotions.
(c) That she is different.
(d) That she still does not love him.
6. What does Désirée husband do soon after their first child is born?
(a) Sticks by her.
(b) Divorces her.
(c) Withdraws his affections.
(d) Kills her.
7. Why does Clarisse follow Alcée to the ball?
(a) She does not follow him.
(b) Because she loves him.
(c) To find out if he is really going to the ball.
(d) To keep him out of mischief.
8. What does Clarisse not miss?
(a) Her days of social obligations.
(b) The heat of New Orleans.
(c) The injustice of the social system in the South.
(d) Intimacy with Alcée.
9. About what do Mrs. Sommers' neighbors gossip?
(a) About Mrs. Sommers' male visitors.
(b) About Mrs. Sommers' old world family.
(c) About Mrs. Sommers' better days.
(d) About Mrs. Sommers' deceased husband.
10. What does Alcée write to his wife?
(a) That she should come home immediately.
(b) That she should stay longer in Biloxi if she wants.
(c) That he wants a divorce.
(d) That he is ill.
11. What does Elodie take from Everson?
(a) His gold teeth.
(c) His watch and money.
(d) His cross.
12. What does Bobinôt want of Calixta?
(a) To borrow money.
(b) To marry her.
(c) To borrow her horse.
(d) For her to bake him a cake.
13. What do Calixta and Alcée do?
(a) Pick berries.
(b) Make love.
(d) Play chess.
14. What does the postcard say that Elizabeth Stock read?
(a) It is about the weather in Greece.
(b) It predicts a change in the economic future.
(c) It is about an urgent meeting the next day.
(d) It has something written in code that she cannot read.
15. Who does Evariste save?
(a) No one.
(c) Mr. Sublet's son.
(d) Mr. Sublet.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Louise die?
2. What does Mr. Sublet want the 'Cadian man to do?
3. What frightens Calixta?
4. How much money does Mrs. Sommers receive?
5. Why is Louise feeling relieved?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)