|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the postcard say that Elizabeth Stock read?
(a) It predicts a change in the economic future.
(b) It has something written in code that she cannot read.
(c) It is about an urgent meeting the next day.
(d) It is about the weather in Greece.
2. Who adopts Désirée?
(a) The Valmondé family.
(b) No one.
(c) Her mother's older sister and her husband.
(d) Her father's parents.
3. What does Désirée husband do soon after their first child is born?
(a) Sticks by her.
(b) Divorces her.
(c) Kills her.
(d) Withdraws his affections.
4. Upon what is Mrs. Sommers focused?
(a) The cruel gossip.
(b) Finding a husband.
(c) Finding a job.
(d) The needs of her children.
5. What does Cazeau sense when he embraces Athénaïse?
(a) That she is insane.
(b) That she still does not love him.
(c) That she is different.
(d) That she has no emotions.
6. What does Mrs. Sommers wish as she is riding home on the bus?
(a) That the ride would never end.
(b) That her husband would return to her.
(c) That her children would disappear.
(d) That she had bought more chocolate for the children.
7. What does Armand want Désirée to do?
(a) Swear to the local priest that she is white.
(b) Find out if someone in her ancestry is negro.
(c) Stay with him no matter what.
8. What does Mr. Sublet want the 'Cadian man to do?
(a) Some research.
(b) Pose for a picture.
(c) Build a new home for Mr. Sublet.
(d) Some legal work.
9. Of what is Cazeau reminded when he goes to fetch his wife?
(a) Going to market.
(b) A saying his mother told him on his wedding day.
(c) A slave his father once had to retrieve.
(d) The way his friends laughed when he told them who he planned to marry.
10. Where are Bobinôt and his son, four-year-old Bibi, waiting out a storm?
(a) In a sea cave.
(b) At Friedheimer's store.
(c) In a barn.
(d) Under a rock ledge.
11. How much advance payment does Sublet give the 'Cadian man?
(a) 10 silver dollars.
(b) 20 gold pieces.
(d) 2 silver dollars.
12. Who does Gabriel kill?
(c) No one.
13. What does Clarisse not miss?
(a) The heat of New Orleans.
(b) The injustice of the social system in the South.
(c) Her days of social obligations.
(d) Intimacy with Alcée.
14. Why does Mrs. Baroda tell her husband she is going to visit some relatives?
(a) To avoid being around Gouvernail.
(b) There is a family wedding.
(c) One of them is ill.
(d) To help with the cotton picking.
15. What frightens Calixta?
(a) Lightning striking a tree.
(b) Lightening strikes the house.
(c) The hobo starts acting strange.
(d) Bobinôt is late.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the successful planter?
2. What is Louise imagining in her room?
3. What is one other Chopin piece in which Gouvernail appears?
4. What does Armand's mother say in a letter to Armand's father?
5. What is one thing Mrs. Sommers buys at the store with her newly-acquired money?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)