|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the postcard say that Elizabeth Stock read?
(a) It is about the weather in Greece.
(b) It is about an urgent meeting the next day.
(c) It has something written in code that she cannot read.
(d) It predicts a change in the economic future.
2. Who has a weak heart?
3. What disgusts Gabriel?
(a) That he killed Elodie.
(b) That his fiance sleeps with another man.
(c) What Elodie has done.
(d) That he killed a man.
4. What is one thing Mrs. Sommers buys at the store with her newly-acquired money?
(a) A stack of books.
(b) Silk stockings.
(c) Chocolate for the children.
(d) Clothes for the children.
5. What does Mrs. Baroda say about her husband wanting Gouvernail for a second visit?
(a) She is indifferent.
(b) She thinks is it a great idea.
(c) She objects.
(d) She is frightened.
6. Who does Gabriel kill?
(c) No one.
7. Why does Désirée's husband think she is not white?
(a) He has no reason; just an instinctive feeling.
(b) Her grandfather is dark skinned.
(c) Her baby is not white.
(d) She has habits that are like negroes.
8. What does Armand's mother say in a letter to Armand's father?
(a) That she is black.
(b) That she hates her husband.
(c) That she had a daughter she puts up for adoption.
(d) That she does not want Armand.
9. Who does Evariste save?
(a) Mr. Sublet.
(b) No one.
(c) Mr. Sublet's son.
10. How much money does Mrs. Sommers receive?
(a) 15 dollars.
(b) 50 dollars.
(c) 1000 dollars.
(d) 100 dollars.
11. Of what is Cazeau reminded when he goes to fetch his wife?
(a) Going to market.
(b) The way his friends laughed when he told them who he planned to marry.
(c) A slave his father once had to retrieve.
(d) A saying his mother told him on his wedding day.
12. Why is Elizabeth fired from her job?
(a) Because she is late almost every day.
(b) For doing unauthorized actions.
(c) Because she is surly.
(d) Because she steals from her employer.
13. What does Clarisse not miss?
(a) The injustice of the social system in the South.
(b) Her days of social obligations.
(c) Intimacy with Alcée.
(d) The heat of New Orleans.
14. What does Bobinôt want of Calixta?
(a) For her to bake him a cake.
(b) To marry her.
(c) To borrow her horse.
(d) To borrow money.
15. What does Armand want Désirée to do?
(a) Stay with him no matter what.
(b) Find out if someone in her ancestry is negro.
(d) Swear to the local priest that she is white.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much advance payment does Sublet give the 'Cadian man?
2. Who is the successful planter?
3. What is Louise imagining in her room?
4. Where does Mrs. Sommers go after the store?
5. What does Désirée do with herself and her baby?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)