|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Clarisse not miss?
(a) The injustice of the social system in the South.
(b) Intimacy with Alcée.
(c) The heat of New Orleans.
(d) Her days of social obligations.
2. Upon whom does Athénaïse begin to depend for companionship?
(a) The cook.
(b) Her brother.
(d) The laundress.
3. How does Mrs. Baroda feel when she speaks to Gouvernail?
(a) That he is not human.
(b) Attracted to him.
(c) That he does not respect her.
(d) Repulsed by him.
4. Who is the successful planter?
(a) Alcée Laballière
5. Of what is Cazeau reminded when he goes to fetch his wife?
(a) A slave his father once had to retrieve.
(b) A saying his mother told him on his wedding day.
(c) Going to market.
(d) The way his friends laughed when he told them who he planned to marry.
6. Why does Mrs. Baroda tell her husband she is going to visit some relatives?
(a) To avoid being around Gouvernail.
(b) To help with the cotton picking.
(c) There is a family wedding.
(d) One of them is ill.
7. What frightens Calixta?
(a) Lightning striking a tree.
(b) Bobinôt is late.
(c) Lightening strikes the house.
(d) The hobo starts acting strange.
8. Where did Elizabeth Stock work?
(a) She is unemployed.
(b) At the post office in Stonelift.
(c) She works at the local bank.
(d) She is a baker's helper.
9. What is Louise imagining in her room?
(a) How her brother must have suffered before dying.
(b) What her husband is doing in hell.
(c) What her husband is doing in heaven.
(d) A future of endless possibilities.
10. What do Calixta and Alcée do?
(b) Make love.
(c) Play chess.
(d) Pick berries.
11. What does Elodie take from Everson?
(a) His cross.
(b) His gold teeth.
(c) His watch and money.
12. What makes Athénaïse decide to return to Cazeau?
(a) She has no money.
(b) She is in trouble with some shady characters.
(c) She learns she is pregnant.
(d) She is lonely.
13. For whom does Mr. Sublet ask when he visits Bayou Têche?
(a) The mayor.
(b) Evariste Bonamour.
(c) A police officer.
(d) Evan Martinette.
14. Who adopts Désirée?
(a) Her mother's older sister and her husband.
(b) Her father's parents.
(c) No one.
(d) The Valmondé family.
15. What does Armand's mother say in a letter to Armand's father?
(a) That she is black.
(b) That she does not want Armand.
(c) That she hates her husband.
(d) That she had a daughter she puts up for adoption.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Calixta allow to shelter in her home?
2. Who breaks the news gently to a loved one of the accident?
3. Who does Gabriel kill?
4. Where does Mr. Brightman go for a meeting?
5. What does Mr. Sublet want the 'Cadian man to do?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)