|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the postcard say that Elizabeth Stock read?
(a) It predicts a change in the economic future.
(b) It is about an urgent meeting the next day.
(c) It has something written in code that she cannot read.
(d) It is about the weather in Greece.
2. Why is Louise feeling relieved?
(a) Because her brother survives the accident.
(b) Because she is a free woman.
(c) She is not relieved.
(d) Because her father survives the train accident.
3. Who is Gouvernail?
(a) Mrs. Baroda's sister-in-law.
(b) Gaston's sister.
(c) Mrs. Baroda's sister.
(d) A college friend of Gaston's.
4. Why does Mrs. Baroda tell her husband she is going to visit some relatives?
(a) There is a family wedding.
(b) To help with the cotton picking.
(c) One of them is ill.
(d) To avoid being around Gouvernail.
5. Who is dead at the opening of the story?
(a) Elizabeth Stock's father.
(b) Elizabeth Stock's mother.
(c) Elizabeth Stock's sister.
(d) Elizabeth Stock.
6. What does Elodie take from Everson?
(a) His cross.
(c) His gold teeth.
(d) His watch and money.
7. What does Armand want Désirée to do?
(a) Find out if someone in her ancestry is negro.
(c) Swear to the local priest that she is white.
(d) Stay with him no matter what.
8. Where does the doctor advise Elizabeth to spend the winter?
(a) In the dry Southwest.
(b) In the South.
(c) In Mexico.
(d) In Greece.
9. What does Cazeau sense when he embraces Athénaïse?
(a) That she is different.
(b) That she has no emotions.
(c) That she is insane.
(d) That she still does not love him.
10. Who does Evariste save?
(b) Mr. Sublet's son.
(c) No one.
(d) Mr. Sublet.
11. What does Armand's mother say in a letter to Armand's father?
(a) That she hates her husband.
(b) That she had a daughter she puts up for adoption.
(c) That she does not want Armand.
(d) That she is black.
12. Upon what is Mrs. Sommers focused?
(a) Finding a husband.
(b) Finding a job.
(c) The needs of her children.
(d) The cruel gossip.
13. Where does Athénaïse go when she leaves Cazeau a second time?
(a) New Orleans.
14. What does Mrs. Baroda say about her husband wanting Gouvernail for a second visit?
(a) She objects.
(b) She thinks is it a great idea.
(c) She is frightened.
(d) She is indifferent.
15. Where did Elizabeth Stock work?
(a) She is unemployed.
(b) She is a baker's helper.
(c) At the post office in Stonelift.
(d) She works at the local bank.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Mrs. Sommers receive?
2. What does Alcée write to his wife?
3. Who are Bobinôt and Calixta and Alcée Laballière and Clarisse?
4. What does Mrs. Sommers wish as she is riding home on the bus?
5. What does Clarisse not miss?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)