|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Upon what is Mrs. Sommers focused?
(a) The cruel gossip.
(b) Finding a husband.
(c) The needs of her children.
(d) Finding a job.
2. What disgusts Gabriel?
(a) What Elodie has done.
(b) That his fiance sleeps with another man.
(c) That he killed Elodie.
(d) That he killed a man.
3. What does the postcard say that Elizabeth Stock read?
(a) It has something written in code that she cannot read.
(b) It predicts a change in the economic future.
(c) It is about an urgent meeting the next day.
(d) It is about the weather in Greece.
4. What does Mrs. Sommers wish as she is riding home on the bus?
(a) That her children would disappear.
(b) That she had bought more chocolate for the children.
(c) That her husband would return to her.
(d) That the ride would never end.
5. Why is Louise feeling relieved?
(a) Because her father survives the train accident.
(b) Because her brother survives the accident.
(c) Because she is a free woman.
(d) She is not relieved.
6. Who is dead at the opening of the story?
(a) Elizabeth Stock.
(b) Elizabeth Stock's father.
(c) Elizabeth Stock's mother.
(d) Elizabeth Stock's sister.
7. How does Gabriel die?
(b) A fall from his horse.
(c) A mob.
(d) He does not die.
8. Upon whom does Athénaïse begin to depend for companionship?
(a) The laundress.
(c) The cook.
(d) Her brother.
9. What does Elodie take from Everson?
(b) His gold teeth.
(c) His cross.
(d) His watch and money.
10. Why does Mrs. Baroda tell her husband she is going to visit some relatives?
(a) To avoid being around Gouvernail.
(b) There is a family wedding.
(c) One of them is ill.
(d) To help with the cotton picking.
11. Why does Désirée's husband think she is not white?
(a) Her grandfather is dark skinned.
(b) Her baby is not white.
(c) She has habits that are like negroes.
(d) He has no reason; just an instinctive feeling.
12. Who unnerves Mrs. Baroda?
(a) Her maid.
(c) Her cook.
13. For whom does Mr. Sublet ask when he visits Bayou Têche?
(a) A police officer.
(b) Evariste Bonamour.
(c) Evan Martinette.
(d) The mayor.
14. Where does Athénaïse go when she leaves Cazeau a second time?
(c) New Orleans.
15. Who has a weak heart?
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Athénaïse decide to return to Cazeau?
2. Who is Gouvernail?
3. What is one other Chopin piece in which Gouvernail appears?
4. What does Mr. Sublet want the 'Cadian man to do?
5. What does Alcée write to his wife?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)