|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is dead at the opening of the story?
(a) Elizabeth Stock's sister.
(b) Elizabeth Stock's father.
(c) Elizabeth Stock's mother.
(d) Elizabeth Stock.
2. How much advance payment does Sublet give the 'Cadian man?
(a) 10 silver dollars.
(c) 2 silver dollars.
(d) 20 gold pieces.
3. Why does Désirée's husband think she is not white?
(a) He has no reason; just an instinctive feeling.
(b) Her grandfather is dark skinned.
(c) Her baby is not white.
(d) She has habits that are like negroes.
4. Why is Elizabeth fired from her job?
(a) Because she steals from her employer.
(b) For doing unauthorized actions.
(c) Because she is late almost every day.
(d) Because she is surly.
5. Who has a weak heart?
6. What is Calixta's response to Bobinôt's question?
(a) She will bake him a cake if he will introduce her to his brother.
(b) She has not yet given a response.
(c) She has said she will lend him her pony, but not her find mare.
(d) She has said no.
7. What do Calixta and Alcée do?
(a) Pick berries.
(b) Make love.
(d) Play chess.
8. What makes Athénaïse decide to return to Cazeau?
(a) She learns she is pregnant.
(b) She has no money.
(c) She is lonely.
(d) She is in trouble with some shady characters.
9. Who adopts Désirée?
(a) No one.
(b) The Valmondé family.
(c) Her father's parents.
(d) Her mother's older sister and her husband.
10. What is one other Chopin piece in which Gouvernail appears?
(a) The Awakening.
(b) "A Gentleman of Bayou Têche."
(c) "A Pair of Silk Stockings."
(d) "Désirée's Baby."
11. What is the reason Cazeau tells his wife that he married her?
(a) Because he loves her.
(b) For her political connections.
(c) For her money.
(d) His father forced him to do so.
12. Why does Clarisse follow Alcée to the ball?
(a) To find out if he is really going to the ball.
(b) She does not follow him.
(c) To keep him out of mischief.
(d) Because she loves him.
13. What does Mrs. Sommers wish as she is riding home on the bus?
(a) That she had bought more chocolate for the children.
(b) That the ride would never end.
(c) That her children would disappear.
(d) That her husband would return to her.
14. What does Armand want Désirée to do?
(a) Find out if someone in her ancestry is negro.
(b) Stay with him no matter what.
(c) Swear to the local priest that she is white.
15. Upon whom does Athénaïse begin to depend for companionship?
(a) Her brother.
(b) The laundress.
(c) The cook.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clarisse not miss?
2. Who does Alcée flirt with at the ball?
3. How does Mrs. Baroda feel when she speaks to Gouvernail?
4. What does Armand's mother say in a letter to Armand's father?
5. Where does the doctor advise Elizabeth to spend the winter?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)