|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who unnerves Mrs. Baroda?
(b) Her maid.
(d) Her cook.
2. What does Elodie take from Everson?
(b) His cross.
(c) His watch and money.
(d) His gold teeth.
3. For whom does Mr. Sublet ask when he visits Bayou Têche?
(a) The mayor.
(b) Evan Martinette.
(c) A police officer.
(d) Evariste Bonamour.
4. What does Evariste ask to be identified as?
(b) A gentleman.
(c) A rogue.
(d) A 'Cadian.
5. Why does Désirée's husband think she is not white?
(a) Her baby is not white.
(b) She has habits that are like negroes.
(c) He has no reason; just an instinctive feeling.
(d) Her grandfather is dark skinned.
6. Who does Gabriel kill?
(c) No one.
7. What is the reason Cazeau tells his wife that he married her?
(a) For her political connections.
(b) Because he loves her.
(c) His father forced him to do so.
(d) For her money.
8. Who has just been killed in a railroad accident?
(b) No one.
9. What does Alcée write to his wife?
(a) That he wants a divorce.
(b) That he is ill.
(c) That she should come home immediately.
(d) That she should stay longer in Biloxi if she wants.
10. Where does the doctor advise Elizabeth to spend the winter?
(a) In the South.
(b) In Mexico.
(c) In Greece.
(d) In the dry Southwest.
11. About what do Mrs. Sommers' neighbors gossip?
(a) About Mrs. Sommers' better days.
(b) About Mrs. Sommers' male visitors.
(c) About Mrs. Sommers' old world family.
(d) About Mrs. Sommers' deceased husband.
12. What is one thing Mrs. Sommers buys at the store with her newly-acquired money?
(a) A stack of books.
(b) Silk stockings.
(c) Clothes for the children.
(d) Chocolate for the children.
13. What does Elodie not tell Gabriel?
(a) That Everson comes to her and he is not dead.
(b) That Everson talks to the sheriff.
(c) That a knife is in his other coat.
(d) That she robs Everson.
14. Why is Louise feeling relieved?
(a) Because her brother survives the accident.
(b) She is not relieved.
(c) Because she is a free woman.
(d) Because her father survives the train accident.
15. What disgusts Gabriel?
(a) That he killed Elodie.
(b) That his fiance sleeps with another man.
(c) What Elodie has done.
(d) That he killed a man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon whom does Athénaïse begin to depend for companionship?
2. Who has a weak heart?
3. What is Louise imagining in her room?
4. What does Mr. Sublet want the 'Cadian man to do?
5. How much money does Mrs. Sommers receive?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)