|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What frightens Calixta?
(a) The hobo starts acting strange.
(b) Lightning striking a tree.
(c) Bobinôt is late.
(d) Lightening strikes the house.
2. What does the postcard say that Elizabeth Stock read?
(a) It is about the weather in Greece.
(b) It predicts a change in the economic future.
(c) It has something written in code that she cannot read.
(d) It is about an urgent meeting the next day.
3. How does Louise die?
(a) A heart attack.
(b) She does not die.
(c) As a passenger in the train wreck.
(d) Her husband kills her when he learns she celebrated his passing.
4. What does Armand's mother say in a letter to Armand's father?
(a) That she hates her husband.
(b) That she does not want Armand.
(c) That she had a daughter she puts up for adoption.
(d) That she is black.
5. What does Cazeau sense when he embraces Athénaïse?
(a) That she is insane.
(b) That she still does not love him.
(c) That she has no emotions.
(d) That she is different.
6. Who does Gabriel kill?
(d) No one.
7. Who is Gouvernail?
(a) Mrs. Baroda's sister-in-law.
(b) A college friend of Gaston's.
(c) Mrs. Baroda's sister.
(d) Gaston's sister.
8. How much advance payment does Sublet give the 'Cadian man?
(a) 2 silver dollars.
(c) 20 gold pieces.
(d) 10 silver dollars.
9. Who is dead at the opening of the story?
(a) Elizabeth Stock.
(b) Elizabeth Stock's mother.
(c) Elizabeth Stock's sister.
(d) Elizabeth Stock's father.
10. How does Mrs. Baroda feel when she speaks to Gouvernail?
(a) Repulsed by him.
(b) That he is not human.
(c) Attracted to him.
(d) That he does not respect her.
11. Who does Alcée flirt with at the ball?
(b) No one.
12. How does Gabriel die?
(a) A mob.
(b) He does not die.
(d) A fall from his horse.
13. Where does the doctor advise Elizabeth to spend the winter?
(a) In the South.
(b) In Greece.
(c) In Mexico.
(d) In the dry Southwest.
14. What do Calixta and Alcée do?
(a) Play chess.
(b) Make love.
(d) Pick berries.
15. What does Alcée write to his wife?
(a) That she should stay longer in Biloxi if she wants.
(b) That he is ill.
(c) That he wants a divorce.
(d) That she should come home immediately.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clarisse not miss?
2. What are Elodie and Gabriel playing?
3. Of what is Cazeau reminded when he goes to fetch his wife?
4. Who are Bobinôt and Calixta and Alcée Laballière and Clarisse?
5. Why does Mrs. Baroda tell her husband she is going to visit some relatives?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)