|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who unnerves Mrs. Baroda?
(b) Her cook.
(c) Her maid.
2. What does Alcée write to his wife?
(a) That she should stay longer in Biloxi if she wants.
(b) That he is ill.
(c) That he wants a divorce.
(d) That she should come home immediately.
3. What frightens Calixta?
(a) Lightning striking a tree.
(b) Bobinôt is late.
(c) Lightening strikes the house.
(d) The hobo starts acting strange.
4. What does Elodie not tell Gabriel?
(a) That Everson talks to the sheriff.
(b) That a knife is in his other coat.
(c) That Everson comes to her and he is not dead.
(d) That she robs Everson.
5. Who does Gabriel kill?
(b) No one.
6. How does Gabriel die?
(b) A fall from his horse.
(c) He does not die.
(d) A mob.
7. What is one thing Mrs. Sommers buys at the store with her newly-acquired money?
(a) Silk stockings.
(b) Chocolate for the children.
(c) Clothes for the children.
(d) A stack of books.
8. What does Désirée do with herself and her baby?
(a) Kills Armand.
(b) Kills herself and her baby.
(c) Goes to live with her parents.
(d) Appeals to the priest to intervene.
9. What does the postcard say that Elizabeth Stock read?
(a) It is about an urgent meeting the next day.
(b) It has something written in code that she cannot read.
(c) It is about the weather in Greece.
(d) It predicts a change in the economic future.
10. Upon what is Mrs. Sommers focused?
(a) Finding a husband.
(b) Finding a job.
(c) The cruel gossip.
(d) The needs of her children.
11. What does Bobinôt want of Calixta?
(a) To borrow money.
(b) To borrow her horse.
(c) To marry her.
(d) For her to bake him a cake.
12. What does Armand want Désirée to do?
(a) Stay with him no matter what.
(b) Swear to the local priest that she is white.
(d) Find out if someone in her ancestry is negro.
13. Why does Clarisse follow Alcée to the ball?
(a) To keep him out of mischief.
(b) To find out if he is really going to the ball.
(c) Because she loves him.
(d) She does not follow him.
14. What makes Athénaïse decide to return to Cazeau?
(a) She has no money.
(b) She is lonely.
(c) She learns she is pregnant.
(d) She is in trouble with some shady characters.
15. What is the reason Cazeau tells his wife that he married her?
(a) For her money.
(b) For her political connections.
(c) His father forced him to do so.
(d) Because he loves her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Calixta allow to shelter in her home?
2. What does Cazeau sense when he embraces Athénaïse?
3. Where does Mrs. Sommers go after the store?
4. What does Elodie take from Everson?
5. Who is dead at the opening of the story?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)