|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Clarisse not miss?
(a) Intimacy with Alcée.
(b) The injustice of the social system in the South.
(c) The heat of New Orleans.
(d) Her days of social obligations.
2. What does Elodie not tell Gabriel?
(a) That Everson talks to the sheriff.
(b) That a knife is in his other coat.
(c) That Everson comes to her and he is not dead.
(d) That she robs Everson.
3. Where did Elizabeth Stock work?
(a) At the post office in Stonelift.
(b) She is unemployed.
(c) She works at the local bank.
(d) She is a baker's helper.
4. What disgusts Gabriel?
(a) What Elodie has done.
(b) That he killed Elodie.
(c) That he killed a man.
(d) That his fiance sleeps with another man.
5. Who has a weak heart?
6. Who is the successful planter?
(a) Alcée Laballière
7. What is one other Chopin piece in which Gouvernail appears?
(a) "Désirée's Baby."
(b) "A Pair of Silk Stockings."
(c) The Awakening.
(d) "A Gentleman of Bayou Têche."
8. Who is Gouvernail?
(a) Gaston's sister.
(b) Mrs. Baroda's sister-in-law.
(c) Mrs. Baroda's sister.
(d) A college friend of Gaston's.
9. Who does Evariste save?
(a) No one.
(b) Mr. Sublet's son.
(d) Mr. Sublet.
10. What is the reason Cazeau tells his wife that he married her?
(a) For her money.
(b) Because he loves her.
(c) For her political connections.
(d) His father forced him to do so.
11. Upon what is Mrs. Sommers focused?
(a) The cruel gossip.
(b) Finding a job.
(c) Finding a husband.
(d) The needs of her children.
12. How much advance payment does Sublet give the 'Cadian man?
(a) 10 silver dollars.
(b) 2 silver dollars.
(c) 20 gold pieces.
13. Why does Mrs. Baroda tell her husband she is going to visit some relatives?
(a) To avoid being around Gouvernail.
(b) There is a family wedding.
(c) To help with the cotton picking.
(d) One of them is ill.
14. What does Cazeau sense when he embraces Athénaïse?
(a) That she is insane.
(b) That she has no emotions.
(c) That she still does not love him.
(d) That she is different.
15. What does Alcée write to his wife?
(a) That she should come home immediately.
(b) That she should stay longer in Biloxi if she wants.
(c) That he wants a divorce.
(d) That he is ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is dead at the opening of the story?
2. Who does Alcée flirt with at the ball?
3. Who breaks the news gently to a loved one of the accident?
4. Who does Calixta allow to shelter in her home?
5. Who adopts Désirée?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)